[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inhereted Guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3900.jpg (368KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3900.jpg
368KB, 1000x714px
my brother just passed away and i told my mother i wanted to inherit his truck or one of his rifles to have something to look at and remember him. our older brother just came and claimed them all without considering anyone else. is this even legal?
>>
File: 189467546189.jpg (10KB, 163x200px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
10KB, 163x200px
>>33903838
>Inhereted
>>
I assume there wasn't a will, so that leaves an estate.

The answer is probably no. I am currently going through this right now.

However, it doesn't sound like this is worth anything. Most estate lawyers won't even look in your general direction unless the estate is worth at least 500k.

Call a lawyer who does free consultations. Just ask, "My brother didn't have a will, who takes precedence over his belongings?" Assuming he had no GF/Partner/Wife, it's probably the parents.

Aside from just asking this question, there isn't much you can probably do without lawyering up. People dying turns families to shit. One of our cousins was able to get 100grand out of the estate before anyone could intercede, but that money is long gone and there's essentially no consequences to his actions.
>>
>>33903838
offer to buy a gun from him on your property, them shoot him because you think he's trespassing and take the rest
>>
>>33903838

Oh, right, if the answer is no, and your parents are the ones who control the estate, and he took those items without their permission? That's probably a misdemeanor or felony, since those belongings legally belong to them. You would have to get your parents to want to get the cops involved to get that shit back, and that's probably unlikely unless your brother is a real shit-dick that no one likes.
>>
>>33903838
There's a specific order of inheritance defined by law if someone dies intestate (that is, without a will). A dead man's possessions pass to his parents if he has no spouse or children. Only if the parents are dead do the siblings have direct claim.

Whoever inherits can do whatever they want with the stuff.

If your mother was your dead bro's heir, then you have no claim to the guns but through her. If she let your older brother have all the guns, then that's the end of it.
>>
>>33903902
it's rough. I just looked up the states laws and his daughter should get everything (divorced). he was very frugal and private but he worked in the middle east for several years and I'm pretty sure he made a couple million.
>>33903934
he's not a total shit-dick, just very inconsiderate.
>>
>>33904087

Then why aren't you talking with a lawyer?

Why are you talking to /k/? There has to be an estate lawyer involved. Find out who it is and start complaining.
>>
>>33904113
he has a daughter and she gets everything, which I am glad for. how could a lawyer help me?
>>
>>33903838
>is this even legal?
If he didn't have a will that specifically itemized everything, it's in a grey area for all non-monetary assets (cash in bank accounts, investments). Technically illegal, basically impossible to prove one way or the other, even if you literally had him on 1080P surveillance from 9 angles doing it with a sworn statement from him nobody would prosecute.

What happens is an estate is formed. Traditionally, estates without a will are settled in an order of priority, with 100% of all of everything going in this order:
>any unpaid governmental debt (taxes, fines, etc)
>funerary expenses
>current spouse
>current minor child (even split across multiple children)
If those don't exist or if a minor child doesn't have an adult representative file for it, then it goes like this
>ex spouse gets [percentage deemed by court based on years married vs. total years to accumulate wealth] assuming no binding prenup and no-fault divorce
>adult children get remainder
>if no adult children, living parents get remainder
>if no blood relatives come forward to claim it, seized by state
>>
>>33904161

The lawyer has to explore the assets of the estate and determine what sort of accounts he might or might not have, investments, bonds, everything. Who the shit goes to is just part of their job. Your brother might have a Raymond James account that no one knows about for instance.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.