[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black Powder General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: Pietta 1851 Navy.jpg (78KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
Pietta 1851 Navy.jpg
78KB, 880x660px
I've got this coming in the mail and I am really excited, as it is my first black powder gun. Anything advice/tricks I should know before it arrives?

Also, black powder general thread.
>>
>>33902354
Don't fuck around with the action too much. Pietta's are easy to mess up the timing on if you fuck around with them a lot. Mine started to gouge the locking notches on the cylinder.

Other than that, they are fun guns. Just remember they aren't high end guns and keep an eye out for issues.

As far as shooting, you are safe loading it up to the point where the ball is right to the end of the chamber. I wouldn't recommend doing it, though. As far as tips on shooting, check out the duelist on youtube. He has videos on pretty much everything, snd if he doesn't have a video up that helps you, he will respond to questions (He did for me)

Have fun bro. Nothing quite relaxing like shooting BP.
>>
File: Europe.gif (1MB, 438x271px) Image search: [Google]
Europe.gif
1MB, 438x271px
>>33902354
is there anything wrong with black powder for home defense? seems like if it was good enough for them it'll work for me
>>
>>33902799
What constitutes fucking around? Will normal use wear it out, or do I need to spin the cylinder like a dumbass to mess it up?
>>
>>33902818
Possibly. The revolver in OP's pic has about the same power as a modern .380
>>
>>33902818
I mean yeah, it'll kill people, but if you have access to better and more modern weapons, do it.

Black powder guns aren't exactly the highest of quality so youre running the risk of it breaking when you need it most. Not likely, but still. Also, sub-par sights on them.

If you absolutely have no other option I'd say go ahead and do it. Try and get a cartridge conversion cylinder though. There are some companies that, if you send your gun in, can modify the gun so that you can load and unload cartridges from the gun through a loading gate, just like a SAA revlolver. In the US, this modification does not change the guns classification as a black powder weapon.
>>
>>33902856
I put less than 10 cylinders of ammo through my pietta 1860, but I cocked and rode the hammer down all the time on it. Serious peening on the locking notches. This may have been a manufacturing flaw, though, as the locking piece on the revolver broke. (Again, watch out for damage; I could still cock and fire the gun without the cylinder locked in place)
>>
>>33902919
I will watch out for that. Thank you for the advice.
>>
>>33902919
Was it the steel framed, or brass framed version?
>>
How the hell can I keep my cylinder from rusting?

I scrub, wash, oil....RUST!

Scrub the barrel, hit wit with carbon eliminators, RUST!

its not heavy. just surface color but it just seems eventually pitting will just worsen and worsen. Help?
>>
>>33903008
Steel framed. My personal opinion is that it was my fault. I noticed that sometimes i wouldn't draw the hammer back all the way, drop it back slightly, and then pull it all the way back. This set the action in a firing state with full pressure on the locking piece while it wasn't lined up with the reliefe cuts. I believe this messed up the timing of the gun, and in turn that cuased it to start peening the cylinder locking slots.
>>
>>33903057
I need to know this too. My brother has the same problem, but his is a rifle so it is even worse.
>>
>>33903057
Use a bore brush down the cylinders, then a smaller brass one with oil, (preferably ballistol), impregnated paper towel wrapped around it. Do the same with the barrel, and all other metal parts. basically, leave a thin film of oil over the gun after you heavily scrub it. The issue is most likely the poor finish quality on your gun, and most BP revolvers in general.
>>
>>33903057
use a real oil not wd40/remoil
>>
>>33903099
Ive tried slip2000 and hoppes.

>>33903088
I keep it piled but still rust keeps forming. I scrub it until patches come out clean, i oil it, then days later there is brown residue if i hit it with a cotton swab.
>>
File: AL3240a__14093.jpg (38KB, 1280x335px) Image search: [Google]
AL3240a__14093.jpg
38KB, 1280x335px
Looking at getting a dutch Beaumont rifle with vitali mag, anyone know a place with good reloading info, also .43 spanish and 577/450 martini would also be great data
>>
>>33903127
make sure its properly dry of water/solvent before you oil it.
>>
>>33903188
That it is which is whats making this so frustration. Would a deep penetrating oil stop it from forming?
>>
>>33902818
for home defence you need to have your gun loaded,
black powder suffer humidity, I heard that cowboys had to unload it every day to prevent humidity from altering the powder.

but for modern black powder I don't know how long you can keep it loaded.
take some tests, try shooting on the same thickness on wood/steel, like after a week, two weeks, one month ? and see how the time influence the power from your own storage conditions
>>
>>33902818
if humidity is a problem, maybe you can try to find a conversion cylinder to put some cartridge in it, I don't remember the caliber but I its 44 long colt cartridge
>>
File: 1494292542288.jpg (119KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494292542288.jpg
119KB, 1080x1080px
The real black powder
>>
>>33903299
Lol. I'd hit it
>>
>>33902799
Could you provide a link to the YouTube channel you mention? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>33903197
Mabey try storing it in a small sealed plastic tupperware box with rice in it.
Like, fill the box halfway with rice, put the gun in, and put the lid on.
>>
>>33903302
Good luck with that ass and the ego to go with it.
>>
>>33903437
would silica gel work better than rice or just as good?
>>
I've got a real one. My first gun. It is not in good enough shape to fire, and it's very obvious it has killed alot of brown people.

I've been meaning to get some repros, but Uberti seems like the way to go.
>>
>>33903553
No idea.
It probably depends how much you use.
>>
File: 1494211714967.jpg (311KB, 1244x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1494211714967.jpg
311KB, 1244x1280px
>>33903299
Nice
>>
What kind of shit can you stuff down a blunderbuss and fire? Can I just throw anything in there like people say?
>>
File: IMAG1723.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1723.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>33903057
What I do is boil water, dump the cylinder into it, let it soak, then I dry it, remove the nipples, scrub it with a toothbrush on its face and on the ratchets, dry the chambers and the threads for the nipples. Dry where the base pin will go. I use at least 20 q-tips until they come back spotless. Afterward I use just CLP to oil up the gun. Make sure you get every single spot.
During this process I will have already ran a patch of water, then dry tissue, and finally soaked the inside of the barrel with clp. The fully stripped frame also sits in the hot water bath. The little innards I clean individually and oil later. Shitty photo of my uberti.
>>
>>33902354
the screw holding the loading lever on my pietta 1858 snapped while I was loading an .002 oversize lead ball, destroying the hole on the loading lever and jamming it from being able to be taken out
>>
>>33906161
Forgot to mention that I have experience with both Pietta and uberti black powder revolvers. I'm talking 1851 navy, 1860 army and Remington New Model Army. Ask me anything if you want. I'll check in the morning.
>>
>>33906196
Sounds like a freak anomaly.
>>
Should I get a black powder rifle as a first gun in Canada? It's the only gun you can own without a license (ironically, airguns are regulated but flintlocks aren't)
>>
NICE.

I want a percussion revolver so bad.

If I had the spare cash I'd get the 1858 Remington pattern by Pedersoli. High price but well made and tuned for competition shooting.

And I'd want a Colt Walker for the hell of it :3
>>
>>33906161
Have you considered the Uberti .44R schofield?
I managed to pick up a Belgian schofield about a year ago and had no luck finding replacement parts and after some research the the .44R sounds like a great innawoods fuck around cartridge.
>>
>>33903057
slather the shit with petroleum jelly
>>
>>33902818

Lol it took me a full 30 seconds to understand why the filename was "Europe.gif"
>>
>>33902354
Did you get any accessories to go along? Do yourself a favor and get a Tedd Cash snail capper, the straight line ones just dont hold enough in them. I got one of the old style powder flasks with a cannon and flags pressed into the sides. It works well, but taking the top off to refill is a major pain and you can crush the flask top with the set screws if youre not careful. Get a modern one with a screw top if AESTHETICS isn't a major concern. PS, bore butter is your friend.
>>
>>33906213
more like shitty steel imo
>>
File: D1dhapP.jpg (1MB, 3000x1697px) Image search: [Google]
D1dhapP.jpg
1MB, 3000x1697px
bump
>>
File: kropatschek.jpg (20KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
kropatschek.jpg
20KB, 800x800px
bamp
>>
>>33906306
I dont have any accessories yet, but I should order some before it gets here. That capper looks pretty great.
>>
Does anyone here make paper cartridges for BP revolvers? I've seen them made out of cigarette papers and they look convenient.

Also, are waddings necessary for BP revolvers? I dont really understand what they are supposed to do.
>>
>>33907602
>saw one at a gun show in perfect condition for $200
>lack of ammo made me pass on it
>>
>>33908066
I did that to a vetterli but now i found a source for the ammo tho it would need a quickie centerfire conversion(and they make 8mm Kropatschek)
>>
I've been wanting to get into black powder for a while and I was recently gifted a southern Navy Colt. When I get around to it I'm going to post pictures and hopefully someone can help me identify what caliber and what exact model it is. And what type of black powder should be used in these pistols?
>>
>>33906400
Try going with uberti next, my buddy has an 1858 and his hasn't ever given him issues.
>>
It's nothing like the movies op, requires a ton kg upkeep and time but it's fun to shoot once in a while, make absolutely sure you know what cylinder to buy before you buy extras because their all a little different.
>>
Bumpu
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.