[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Got an interview at a bullet/ammunition factory (new ME grad)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0367.jpg (71KB, 1280x692px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0367.jpg
71KB, 1280x692px
Got an interview at a bullet/ammunition factory (new ME grad) later this week. Nogunz but been on /k/ for years. I guess I imprsssed the recruiter with my knowledge on ammo/guns and my resume.

Anything anyone can tell me about things I should know? I'm a bit nervous and have no real industrial experience or knowledge. I just know basic stuff a /k/ browser should know.
>>
>>33898579
>Can you use a computer?
Bro you'll be fine!
Don't forget to slyly negotiate the NDAs in you favor.
>>
>>33898579

Don't be a retard.
>>
what is the job you are applying for? that might help
>>
>>33899278
I'm honestly not to sure about specifics. I was told I'll be at a new factory during the set up process (acquiring materials and machines) and will probably do QA. It was all pretty vague and sounds like I'll fill multiple roles depending on the need (have lots of project management experience which seemed valuable to them).
>>
>>33899322
BA in ?
>>
>>33899322
sounds like youll do basic bitchwork for a low wage if they cant even tell you what your job youre applying for

do they just expect you to care enough and show up for something to apply to something you dont even know what it is? what type of company would do that with someone they consider high value and are actively recruiting? something doesnt add up here

im guessing this is why they are recruiting at job fairs at colleges, they know they can take advantage of you guys with zero life experience
>>
>>33899423
>>33899384
They were recruiting Mechanical Engineers of all degree levels. One of the guys in charge is a PHD in Mech E.

You may be true about the nature of the work since I was told the facility has less than 15 people right now.
>>
>>33899322
Just guessing here- first of all, you're right out of school and they know it. They're not going to expect you to have decades of experience.

You're probably going to be doing a lot of intern-tier work, while also monitoring set up and trials. That's where the project manager part comes in.

Burn some midnight oil learning the processes of the factory, preferably while set up and run-in is still ongoing. Look for ways to simplify production or cut costs without impacting quality or quantity. Start thinking like a process manager, because that's the job you want to work your way into once the factory comes online.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and keep asking questions until you're sure you understand the answer. The flip side to that is, never ask the same question twice.

Don't hide your mistakes, learn from them. Keep a work log of your daily activities, document the living shit out of everything. With pictures, if possible. Hell, mount a GoPro on your hard hat.

The better your record keeping, the less heartburn you have when shit starts hitting the end of wear cycles.

I have a whole other rant saved up for when you start supervising people. Get back to me in about 3 years.
>>
>>33899512
i dont know man, i would ask what the work entails and how many hours and what the compensation is before showing up to apply. make them work to get you, if they sense you are hard to get, they might think you are hot shit and getting offers elsewhere and try harder to coerce you

newgrads dont realize you are literally auctioning off a highly valuable commodity when searching for a job. give yourself some credit and dont sell yourself cheap

despite how friendly and nice recruiters of companies may seem, they are trying to jew you to secure the cheapest labor they can for the companys bottom dollar. if you already made a good impression and they want you, you hold more power than you think in negotiating. and thats what getting a job is, a negotiation. you wouldnt sell your car for 20% of bluebook value, would you? so why sell your time for less than its worth?
>>
>>33899565
Thanks for the great post!

>>33899609
I see what you mean but I do not consider myself the best in my field by a long shot. I view this as more of a learning oppurtunity and a great way to get into defense jobs in the future.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.