[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should I go about repairing these cracks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (1023KB, 3629x2722px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1023KB, 3629x2722px
I don't want to ruin the stock by doing an improper repair. How should I repair these? Glue and a clamp?
>>
File: image.jpg (288KB, 1054x2229px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
288KB, 1054x2229px
Other crack
>>
>>33897388
Hand carve a walnut stork
>>
How much carpentry experience do you have? Zero - very little? Find a competent gunsmith in your area. Anything you do will likely look like shit and impede fit, finish, and function
>>
>>33897388
>>33897394
#1 Those cracks are both located where metal (the reinforcing crossbolt and the recoil lug of the action) acted as a splitting maul on weak wood.

#2. The wood is weak because it looks oil-soaked as fuck. Petroleum-based oil break down wood fibers over time.

#3. Your best bet is pic related, stuff those cracks till the glue is oozing out, clamp them tightly, wipe off the squeezeout with a wet paper towel, and leave it clamped overnight. You will need to remove the crossbolt. Have fun with that.

Although, judging by the state of that wood, it might not do any good. I think that stock might have had it.
>>
>>33897418
When shitposting poses as helpfulness.
NEVER listen to useless advice like this. It's forum cancer.
>>
>>33897442
I'm not sure that I have the tools to remove the crossbolt.
>>
>>33897442
Sadly this, unless some wood repair products came to market in the last 6 years that can penetrate and strengthen the structure any repairs you make will just lead to new cracks nearby until it falls apart entirely
>>
>>33897483
Do you have any tools at all?
>>
>>33897520
Yeah, but I don't really know what I would need to remove it without worsening the cracks.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP3HFUaFgqA
>>
File: Before and after 550-1.png (2MB, 980x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Before and after 550-1.png
2MB, 980x1100px
>>33897566
>he fucking acraglassed the crack
OK op, this is an example of what you DONT do.

Pic related is a before and after of a repair that I did on a stock using the method I described above, on a severely damaged stock. Use Titebond and clamps, not fucking acraglas or epoxy or gorillashit or any of that other nonsense.

Good. Quality. Wood glue.

>>33897542
Do you have clamps then?
>>
>>33898213
mossberg 22?
>>
File: 22.png (1MB, 922x692px) Image search: [Google]
22.png
1MB, 922x692px
>>33898270
Remington 550-1, best .22LR semiauto ever made.
Makes a Marlin 60 or 10/22 look like faggotguns.
>>
>>33898213
>>33898312
you are fucking special needs. Do you really think that the same solution for a .22 is the same as 8mm mauser?

wood glue will work for a .22 but it wont hold when subjected to 8mm Mauser.

how short sighted are you?
>>
>>33897388
drill it, put a wood screw in and also glue it.
>>
>>33898320
not to mention the crack in the video goes through the entire stock.
>>
File: 755a Closeup Of Stock Repair.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
755a Closeup Of Stock Repair.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>33898307
>wood glue will work for a .22 but the it wont hold 8mm Mauser.
This is not correct.

Here's another crack I repaired on a 12ga shotgun. It holds up quite nice. I've also fixed similar cracks in 1903 Springfields, Ruger M77s in .308, and a host of other "high recoil" longarms.

Here's why it works: The bond a good woodglue makes is so strong, it's actually stronger than the surrounding wood. The rifle may crack again, but it will just not crack in that same place.

The trick is, you have to use good glue, and you have to clamp the hell out of it for at least 16 hours.
>>
>>33898378
go look at that video, bud. The stock is broken almost the whole way through. A simple split is fine for wood glue. Not to mention, he wanted it to look natural and look like a part of the grain. yours looks like you poured gun in a crack.
>>
>>33897483

I removed the nut from my cross bolt with the chuck portion of 2 drill bits that fit tightly in the holes. i stuck them in the holes of the nut for proper alignment then locked a par of big vice grips onto the drill bits. Then you just use the vice grips like a screw driver.
>>
File: rubber mallet.png (1021KB, 820x461px) Image search: [Google]
rubber mallet.png
1021KB, 820x461px
>>33898418
Here's another pic to put the strength of wood glue into perspective: That rubber mallet is mine. The handle cracked soon after I purchased it, and I glued it back together with Titebond and clamps.

See the area of damaged table next to the mallet? That's where I BROKE 3/4" PLYWOOD with the glued hammer to test how strong it was. The strength of a properly glued crack in wood, with quality wood glue, is astounding.

I'm sorry, you're just wrong here. I have much, much more experience with this than you do, and using things like gorilla glue or acraglass will actually be LESS strong than the wood glue.

Don't feel bad about being wrong about something, you learn something new everyday!
>>
File: Untitled.png (365KB, 838x544px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
365KB, 838x544px
>>33898418
>Not to mention, he wanted it to look natural and look like a part of the grain.
Yeeeesh... yeah, better not mention that. Didn't come out to well, lol. Just look at this screencap from the vid you posted. Not. Great.

Acraglass will just never, ever look like wood. At least with wood glue, you can take sanding dust from walnut, mix it with the glue, and have a surface that will stain and finish just like the wood in your stock.

Little side benefit to glue... in addition to being much stronger!
>>
I have a series of pictures on what to do but not on this phone unfortunately. Use a shop vac to pull cyanoacralate adhesive (use slow set) all the way through the crack. Helps if you can open the crack up a bit. Clamp and finish.
>>
>>33898320
Wood glue is stronger than wood fiber. Titebond is excellent stuff. If the stock were to break again, it would be anywhere but the crack, assuming the cracked surface was prepared and clamped sufficiently. Acraglass is made to fill space, not to bond wood together.
t. Woodworker
>>
>>33899523
>cyanoacralate
>Fucking SuperGlue

HAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHA
no.
>>
>>33897442
>#1 Those cracks are both located where metal (the reinforcing crossbolt and the recoil lug of the action) acted as a splitting maul on weak wood.
this is the bigger issue imo. this happened to me as well on my mauser. a small crack developed near the wrist, i glued it up and shot it again. crack came back but this time starting from the recoil lug. fixing it is one thing, but unless you shim or preferably bed the action, its going to come back.
>Although, judging by the state of that wood, it might not do any good. I think that stock might have had it.
i also agree with this. that stock looks rough. on the plus side, you might as well try to fix it as best you can.
>>
File: 20170109_103707.jpg (481KB, 1920x532px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_103707.jpg
481KB, 1920x532px
>>33897388
If you're feeling extra frisky, just mill out the area and glue in a new piece of wood.
>>
>>33900651
This is a great idea, but I think that stock is laminated, and I don't think OP has the tools to do it anyway.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.