[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MP-40

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

File: mp40.jpg (484KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mp40.jpg
484KB, 1920x1080px
Alright so where ever I go this gun <pic related> gets praise for being 'an incredible design' and 'a fine example of German engineering'. Yet all I can think is (excuse my autism) it's so fucking big. For god's sake it's a Machine-Pistol, and it's so long and bulky, and when you fold out the stock it's basically a rifle by length. Thoughts on why it was designed with such a long bolt, and why isn't its bulky size(and yet short barrel) mentioned as a (in my opinion) serious downside?
>>
It was a pretty shitty SMG. PPSh-41, Sten, and M3 were all better designs. The Germans tried to use the MP-40 as an assault weapon all too often and the results were bad.

Like most Nazi-era weapons it gets a good reputation despite an inefficient over-engineered design because it "looked cool".
>>
Buddy of mine collected NFA items, his shot nicely and was easy to hold on target in automatic because the front is heavy AF. He said if you fully loaded the mags it had a tendency to jam though.
>>
It's not even very good.
The magazine feed lips were prone to jamming.
It's heavy.
lol only 9mm.

Submachineguns are hard to fuck up, but i dont think the MP40 has a stellar reputation compared to any other Subgun of the war. That is to say, OP, i've never heard this talk of it being incredible of or a fine example of germ. etc autism
>>
>>33894987
All I see is a German version of a grease gun. There are more notable german guns produced like the mg42, fg42, stg-44, and especially the Kar98k
>>
File: MP_3008_Sub_Machine_Gun.jpg (38KB, 637x265px) Image search: [Google]
MP_3008_Sub_Machine_Gun.jpg
38KB, 637x265px
>>33894987
German made their Sten gun named MP3008.
German need something like this because MP40 sucks.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDkGAAPA2E
>>
>>33894987
Technically, it was the first standard issue polymer weapon. Take that as you will.
>>
>>33894987
STEN is best SMG

>can use MP40 magazines and German ammo (context specific to the war, but still a serious advantage)
>$10 to make vs $24
>closer to an SMG in design and application than MP40 (shorter, simpler, more nimble
>>
>>33894987
>double stack/single feed SMG
>massive length
>tiny barrel

Probably not even in the top 50% main SMGs of the war. Overrated by wehraboos.
>>
>>33895143
I'm fairly certain Germany copied the sten because it was dirt cheap to make

>>33894998
They pretty much had to equip units with only MP-40s because Soviet stormtroops armed only with smgs were very successful. I'd rather use an MP-40 then a bolt action in Stalingrad
>>
File: 12-42-21-1200px-Beretta_M1938.jpg (29KB, 1200x507px) Image search: [Google]
12-42-21-1200px-Beretta_M1938.jpg
29KB, 1200x507px
This is best smg
>Effective up to 100m

If the germans would gave issued this one instead of the kar98 they would have won stalingrad
>>
>>33894987
By current standards it's nothing special, but at the time, cheap stamped smgs we're pretty new. It's as long as it is because of how the bolt works. I put a few mags through one once and it was pretty controllable so it has that going for it. It's nothing amazing, but it was definitely good enough.
>>
File: Suomi_submachine_gun_M31_1_(1).jpg (262KB, 2048x654px) Image search: [Google]
Suomi_submachine_gun_M31_1_(1).jpg
262KB, 2048x654px
>>33896495
>Effective up to 200m
If the Germans would have issued this one instead of the Kar98 they would have won Stalingrad
>>
>>33896674
>Heavy
>Effective but not accurrate
>Icepick round
>>
>>33894987
I know this is probably a bait thread but have any of you actually shot an MP40? It shoot so better than the Thompson. Wow /k/ has gone to shit

>>33895143
No they needed it because they where losing the war and needed something easy to manufacture.
>>
>>33895531
M3 only cost five bucks.
>>
>Thoughts on why it was designed with such a long bolt, and why isn't its bulky size(and yet short barrel) mentioned as a (in my opinion) serious downside?

Because submachineguns in World War 2 were used as infantry longarms rather than as carbines.
>>
The MP-40 had quite a lot going for it. The pistol grip & folding stock made it easy to store and handier than a traditional one (though it removes the posdibility of a cheekweld), it's rate of fire is very manageable, and it's overall a controllable gun.
It wasn't the greatest SMG of the war in any way really, but it definitely had its perks.
>>
>>33894987
>gets praise for being 'an incredible design' and 'a fine example of German engineering'
By who? The MP-40 was a pretty fucking shit-tier design that was only used because they really didn't have anything better, Germans would ditch them for dropped PPSH-41's all the time.
>>
>>33897141
>it shoot so better than the Thompson.

Nigger speak english before at least spouting dumb shit.
>>
>>33894987
>>33897901
This OP, only Wehraboo's and no-guns CoD kiddies actually think it anything other than stamped sheet that technically shoots
>>
>>33895041
They didn't issue it as an assault weapon at all. It was basically employed as a pdw would be, given to people who weren't likely to have to fire it. Keep in mind however that this included NCO's of front line squads and officers even, who weren't actually expected to invest themselves in a fire fight (lest they be distracted from their primary duty of organizing the squad) and were issued mp40's as defensive weapons. The only time the Germans really acknowledged its usefulness as an assault weapon was in Stalingrad, where an smg was obviously preferable to a 5 shot bolt action
>>
>>33894987
It just gets praised because of Wehraboos.

PPSh-41 and M3 were both superior SMG designs. And even the PPSh-41 was just a copy of the KP-31.
>>
File: swedk.jpg (329KB, 962x546px) Image search: [Google]
swedk.jpg
329KB, 962x546px
>>33894987

move out the way for real smg
>>
>>33894987
It has a low rate of fire which makes it extremely controllable. Almost all WWII era SMGs were close to rifle length when folded out, making them shorter was something that happened after the MP44/M2 Carbine came onto the scene and impressed the hell out of people. It wasn't seen as a necessity in 1938 because it was a subMACHINEGUN not a SUBmachinegun if you get what I'm saying.

On the magazines thing other users have brought up, almost all WWII era SMGs were single feed double stack so that's irrelevant. That's why Stens and M3s and almost all other guns had weird 32/33 round mags. Troops loaded them to 30 and it made them more reliable at 30 rounds to have a little more spring in there. The early Hi-Power mads worked the same way. It could have been a 15 round mag, but they put a longer follower in to block the last 2 rounds and make the 13 shot mag more reliable.
>>
>>33898398
Honestly this should be the benchmark by which all other smg's are judged
>>
>>33895839
actually the british copied the german mp 38 to make the sten
>>
>>33896674
>tfw my KP/31 arrived at my FFL today
Holy fuck I am excited.
Going to SBR mine because they look retarded with the 16" barrel
>>
The biggest selling point for the MP40 was that was one of the first firearms that had a folding stock. It was awsome when it came out, but wasn't viable anywhere beyond '41.
>>
>>33898469
Uh, no. 32 round magazines were designed to hold 32 rounds. 9x19 was issued in 16 round boxes, because the P08 and P38 used 8 round magazines. So, two boxes to fill one magazine without leftovers.

It's the same reason the Swiss issued the Stgw 57 with 24 round magazines.

Now, Stens used 32 round magazines because it's a simplified copy, and M3s use 30 round magazines.
>>
>>33898711
Hmm hadn't considered that as a reasoning, but I've shot some stens with original magazines before and they do work better with 30 rounds in the mag rather than 32. I'll trust your point but just add that it is pretty objectively clear that single feed magazines work better at -2 rounds from capacity, especially mags from the pre-1970s.
>>
>>33898753
It's true, underloading helps, but it's not a designed feature.
>>
>>33898514
I would give a nut for a Madsen M41 version of the suomi KP.
>>
>>33898753
>>33898780
Actually, here's a good way to think about it: Imagine you're Ermawerke, trying to sell your gun to the Wehrmacht.

>"So how reliable is the magazine?"
>"Well, if you load it to several rounds less than full, it works fine, but if you fully load it, it won't work."
>"...why don't you make it smaller then?"
>"Trust me, it's brilliant."
>>
>>33898780
I guess it's kind of like how most scopes will work better from their original magnification to 2 under their full power magnification, but full magnification is often a crap shoot as far as eye relief and clarity goes. Same idea.
>>
>>33895531

lol no

The STEN's only redeeming factor is that it eventually led to the Sterling.
>>
>>33898319

PPSH-41 wasn't that good senpai

PPSH-43 was significantly better
>>
>>33895531
>nowhere to properly grip sten without fucking with the mag
>absolutely shit stock
>sights are garbage
>dropping it could cause it to go mental and magdump

I mean it did its job but the sten was known as a cheap piece of shit for a reason. It's only superior aspect to the mp40 was price, which is a major factor but not the sole important one. M3 grease gun and the ppsh line were far better, especially once ppsh's fire rate got turned down to a more reasonable 600 or so room like the mp40 has.

The main bonus the morning 40 had was controllability due to the rate of fire and the cartridge it uses. It's very easy to hold on target compared to a thompson or ppsh41
>>
>>33898857
They were probably the two best SMGs in world war 2.
>>
>>33899028
>morning 40

Do I detect a phoneposter?
>>
>>33894987
>it's a Machine-Pistol
Germans don't differentiate between those two.

It's SMG. It's just that nobody wanted to have a gun called Kleinemachinepistole.

As for design - it(38 more than 40) was one of the first stamps-and-tubes kind of SMG. It also doesn't have telescopic bolt(the first gun that used it was Uzi) so it's relatively long.
>>
>>33899068
Machine Pistol is the german word for SMG.
For actual Machine pistols(Stechkin, VP-70), there is no specific term. Same for battle rifles, the G3 is classified as an assault rifle in germany.
>>
File: sfnambritishstenuk1.jpg (115KB, 862x612px) Image search: [Google]
sfnambritishstenuk1.jpg
115KB, 862x612px
Vietnam era silenced sten gun good for stomping VC sentries
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
Watching documentary about ww2 american narator pronounces german weapon names
>>
>>33894998
>assault weapon
>>
>>33894998
MP40 was proven to be more accurate than the sten anon, not sure about the M3 and PPsh-41.

Plus if you accidentally dropped a loaded sten you'd probably lose some toes.
>>
>>33899712
The MP40, Grease Gun and PPSh also are not drop safe. Most open bolt, fixed firing pin direct blowback submachine guns are not drop safe.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.