[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting my CCW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1487537828611.jpg (43KB, 446x471px) Image search: [Google]
1487537828611.jpg
43KB, 446x471px
I just applied for my CCW today. I've gotta get finger printed, and take a LTC class with a firing test. Does anyone have any experience with CCW stuff, especially in Texas? If so, what are some good ranges/places to go for the class? I'm in the Houston area.

I hear the test is piss-easy but I'm just curious about it, and I like to think of myself as a competent shooter.

Also, what are some good handguns for CCW? Looking for .45 or 9mm, and I'm a fairly tall dude- 6'5, and I have bigger hands. Think I could carry a full sized weapon without it printing too badly, or is that just too much trouble than it's worth?

Also CCW stories I guess
>>
Shameful self-bump. I was thinking about a 1911 for a CCW because I've shot them and I really like their ergonomics. I've also shot an M&P shield, and various Glocks- but I keep coming back to the 1911
>>
Remake this thread in about five hours OP.

It's day time /k/. No one owns guns and all the CCW stories are going to be fake.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 960x540px
>>33892461
>LTC
>Texas...
Don't you just haul around AAMGs everywhere or something and make blue line piss their pants or something?
>>
Got my CCW in Ohio. Was in and out the Sheriff's office in 10 minutes. For 9mm get a Glock 19 for striker or a cz Rami or 75 (hammer and safety.) Don't get a .45 for ccw.
>>
>>33892630
Texas isn't as gun friendly as Texans would like to have you believe. They even require a LTC for open carry, and until recently open carry was illegal completely.

>>33892629
I was gonna make a comment about day/k/are but didn't want to take the snide potshots from underage airsofters

>>33892644
>don't get a .45 for CCW

Any reason? I don't feel much difference in recoil between 9mm and .45 to be honest. Or is it a different issue, like with ballistics? I'm curious
>>
File: m41FWvW.jpg (529KB, 1000x675px) Image search: [Google]
m41FWvW.jpg
529KB, 1000x675px
>>33892461
>If so, what are some good ranges/places to go for the class?

You're in Texas so you're in good luck. There's a training company called Hardwired Tactical at the Dallas/FTW area and from what I hear, put on an excellent class that deals in quick, accurate marksmanship along with lectures on criminal behavior, something many instructors simply do not cover. They have a more reality based approach to defensive pistol shooting.

They're staffed with both Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke and a 2 day class is $350 which is very reasonable given that most instructors charge $500 for a 2 day.

Check out pistolforum for more information on Hardwired, both instructors there post quite regularly and there's plenty of AARs on their classes.

fwiw, I took a Tom Givens 2 day combative pistol class about a month ago

I can link you two good interviews of both of the instructors if you want.
>>
>>33892694
Thanks, I'll give them a look.

Would you recommend combative pistol classes and courses for someone with a CCW? I know it sounds silly, but I get all kinds of opinions on it- some say they're worth the price, others say they're nothing a few minutes on youtube and many hours on a range can't replace.
>>
>>33892461
>Also CCW stories I guess
Seriously, it's easy. I practiced for roughly 2 months, and was nervous about qualifying, and I had no problems. Some places make you shoot off handed, and from different positions, but my class only needed to shoot from 21 feet. There was one woman who came in, never even fired a gun. She failed to qualify.

My instructor spent a decent amount of time talking about the legal ramifications; what is justifiable use of deadly force, what isn't, escalation, etc. He also went over holsters, how to properly handle, store, and clean your firearm, among other things.

Honestly, just take some notes, and do some fact checking afterwards. Your instructor is probably very qualified, but it doesn't hurt to double check, especially on the legal side. And go to the range a few times. You'll be more than prepared.

>>33892694
Not OP, but I'd love a link
>>
>>33892682
There is almost no ballistic difference between .45 and 9mm. 9mm penetrates barriers better. 9mm is much more easily controlled when rapid firing. 9mm is easier to shoot weak/one handed.
>>
File: Sage-Knife-Drill.jpg (145KB, 630x368px) Image search: [Google]
Sage-Knife-Drill.jpg
145KB, 630x368px
>>33892720
>Would you recommend combative pistol classes and courses for someone with a CCW?

Do you mean force on force like pic? And yes, I wholeheartedly recommend getting professional handgun instruction for everyone who carries.

Craig Douglas of Shivworks also makes really good force on force training classes that I hear completely destroy any bit of your ego you have.

Not to blow smoke up my asshole but you're lucky I saw this thread. This is /k/ so for most people here, spending $300-$600 on a class for someone to teach you how to shoot sounds ludicrious and you would get a bunch of naysayers that would tell you that doing it would be a waste of money.
>>33892763
>Not OP, but I'd love a link

Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVmvwW5FwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKR0-4DhsL4&t
>>
>>33892790
Thanks man, I appreciate all the info. It looks like the next time they have a course relevant to my interests is in November, but I'm still gonna browse through the website.
>>
>>33892720
Not that guy, but I'm a firm believer in training with an instructor. Yeah, there are tutorials, but a video can't fix a bad habit. A video can't address improper form. A video can't answer your questions. Only a person who has experience and knowledge and is observing you can do all that. No, that's not an endorsement of all instructors, nor is it a denial of all the people who pick up things really quickly on their own. I'm just saying that odds are, you're better off getting instruction from someone in person.
>>
>>33892827
They don't really update their website for some odd reason...They have a class on the 20-21st of this month.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?25197-HiTS-First-Responder-Pistol-Dallas-May-20-21-2017

HiTS is 100% the class to go to if you're a Texan and want solid CCW oriented handgun instruction.

Dagga Boy is Darryl Bolke posting as the OP in that thread. Just to plug in pistolforum, it's one of the best non-bullshit shooting forums on the internet and pistoltraining is a good resource for drills and stuff like that.
>>
>>33892860
>>33892870
Cool dudes, this was really helpful. Hopefully I got the time for one of these classes sometime soon, because they look like a lot of fun and good training
>>
>>33893042
They are. Spent $500 on a class, shot about 700 rounds through it and would do it again. Going to a couple of different instructors this year, HiTS being one of them.

Check out Tom Givens too. He also has a book that is a must read for anyone who carries called "Fighting Smarter" goes into both the software and hardware aspects of defensive shooting.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.