[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stuck with long distance pistol range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

My local gun range has a 25 yard pistol range. We can't set up any closer

I bought a SD9VE. 9 pound trigger. I couldn't hit paper more than 1 in 10 shots. I gave up for a year and shot my 10/22 and AR. I finally changed out the springs and trigger. Now only a 5 lbs pull.

I took it for a test run today. All hundred shots landed on my targets. Each one looked like swiss cheese The problem was I couldn't get a handle on aiming the gun.

Any advice or am I stuck with swiss cheese targets until I can find a place to practice shooting at closer targets until I get better?
>>
I hate the belief of buying a different trigger in an attempt to correct poor shooting but the SD9VE's trigger isn't that good and apex makes a $20 kit that cleans it up quite well. Get that.

Second, buy a bunch of B8 bullseye targets. They are a great target to shoot at 25 yards with and can be used to do a multitude of drills with. Dryfire is huge. Work on it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7708-Dry-Practice-Misconceptions-Updated-12-04-16

Upgrading your sights should be one of your considerations too. Dawsons are great for close range speed shooting and accurate long distance shots.
>>
>>33892359
Nice guide!

Apex springs and trigger are great, Like I said, I now am hitting the target with every shot!

About changing the sights, What is the difficulty level of adjusting them once they are on? I would be more than happy to do that after I can get a general grouping with my shots;
>>
>>33892359
This ^
running an sd40ve and thought the thing wasn't accurate tell I started running dry fire drills with the gun, people talk shit about it but they're great guns.
>>
File: Dawson-Sight-Picture.jpg (77KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
Dawson-Sight-Picture.jpg
77KB, 576x432px
>>33892514
Oh, I didn't read your post completely. Sorry about that.

My experience with changing out S&W sights is that they're a bit of a PITA because they're pressed in with a hydraulic press from the factory so they're retardedly tight on to get off and back in. I have an MGW sight pro which is this fancy $300 sight pusher but I don't think using a vice and a set of calipers to get them sighted in wouldn't be too difficult.

The point I'm trying to adress with this sight fuckery isn't saying that the sights are not zeroed but to upgrade them to something that has contrast to them. A red fiber optic front with a black rear will help with getting a better sight picture than those shitty white 3 dots every gun comes with stock.

Shooting B8's at 25 yards is going to kick your ass for a while but just keep at it and take your time, getting the best sight picture as you can focusing the living fuck out of the front sight to the point that you can see that little hair from your dog hanging off from the top portion of it.
>>
Currently looking into getting this gun.

Why do people wanna shit on this so much? I mean Hickok likes it, so
>>
>>33892584
That does look better than the standard sights.

>>33892544
>>33892584

How long should practice my dry firing? I've been killing my door knob since the first reply. My front sight moves a couple of millimeters every time. I'm trying different grip pressures and trigger press speeds to try and stop it.
>>
>>33892270

what I don't get is why they don't use the same slide release as the SD9VE on all their pistols. Literally among the best I've ever felt, only it's attached to a shit pistol
>>
>>33892663
It is a good gun, It just has it's fault like anything. The springs and trigger are really heavy, leads to a lot of inaccuracy, for me. Hickok has a ton of experience. I on the other hand bought this as my first pistol.
>>
>>33892704
Yeah I'm looking into it as my first pistol as well. I gotta get used to carrying a handgun this size on my body. That's reason why I want a heavy trigger pull, just so I can build a little bit of confidence and not shoot myself kek
>>
>>33892686
>How long should practice my dry firing?

It's really hard to quantify but for me, I like to dryfire 10 good, solid reps for every round that I fire (I shoot 150 rounds every range session). I like to try to dryfire at least twice a week.

Reading into the thread I linked more, I see some people point out that dryfire isn't all about keeping the sights PERFECTLY still but rather getting everything else right like presentation, grip and front sight focus with a slight wiggle being okay for the most part.

Get some snapcaps for dryfire. Yes, dryfiring is fine for modern handguns but extensive dryfire should be done with snapcaps to prevent any large amounts of undue wear.
>>
>>33892777
I find that with the Apex kit, It still won't be that easy to ND, AD or whatever kind of D it would be.

For the few times I shot close targets its fine. Once I get the longer distances down, This gun will be well worth the money.

For getting use to carrying it, I started appendix carrying when I went grocery shopping. Finally worked up the courage to carry at work. Got caught first day, when a coworker squeezed in front of me. She didn't believe it was all me.
>>
>>33892832
I found my grip. My left hand likes to have the trigger finger. Really smoothed out the process.

Will order up some snap caps.
>>
>>33892903
Good luck anon and goon on you for taking an otherwise meh gun and working with it. A good measurement of skill for practical pistol shooting is being able to land 5 shots on a 3x5 index card at 25 yards consistently. May sound arbitrary but that is one clue that someone knows what they're doing with a pistol.
>>
>>33892984
Thanks for all the advice! After trading out the springs and trigger,, I feel really attached, I made it my own. I'm at the point, my wife needs her own pistol. This one is part of me.
>>
>>33892270
>I bought a SD9VE. 9 pound trigger.

sad

you should have gotten a ruger src9 src9c 9e or american

dream triggers awesome

i rented 3 of them last week and fell in luuuuuuuvvvv
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.