[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do upgraded SKSes in particular trigger autists so hard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Why do upgraded SKSes in particular trigger autists so hard? I've noticed that at the first mention of an SKS with an optic or with the chu wood stock being replaced, they go into a rage, why is that?
>>
>>33879736
Because rifle is fine.
>>
>>33879781

Sergei Simonov was a Russian patriot who would have wanted his rifle to be improved and upgraded to remain useful for longer for the glory of the Motherland.
>>
Because the SKS is not a modern platform and does not really take well to attempts at hacking it into such. By the time you've upgraded your SKS enough that it works like a poor man's AK, the money you spent on the rifles and the upgrades would have bought a low to mid range modern weapon like an actual AK or AR that will do the job better.

At least in the US, it may be different in places like Canada where they can still be had for 1-200 dollars.

SKSs also, being C&R weapons, are beginning to accrue value both monetary and sentimental that is based around their status as old platforms - just like all other service weapons older than around 40 or 50 years. Most of the modifications make it impossible to return the weapon to its original configuration and, as such, destroy this value.

The value is often blown out of proportion, but there you go.
>>
>>33879736
"WHAT IN FUCK IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK AMERICAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB SHIT ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

I HEAR OF 922 LAW IN AMERICA. ADDING PISTOL GRIP TO WEAPON MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU FUCK? YOU PUT NEW BOLT EDIFICE? HOW ABOUT BAD FIT RECEIVER COVER FOR CHEAP SCOPE TO SHOW OFF AT HICK PARTY AND NEVER HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN?

SURE, IS ONLY YUGOSLAV COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF SERGEI SIMONOV. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEI! I PISS ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER SIMONOV'S GRAVE BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF HIS ANGRY CORPSE. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

RIFLE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU FUCK IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN GARAGE AND ORIGINAL BOLT EDIFICE AND WOOD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP RIFLE SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO FIRING RANGE. TAKE SHIT OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD WEAPON." - Ivan Chesnokov
>>
>>33879855

The fact that the people who sperg out the most about SKSes are the ones who sit on half a dozen with the cosmoline still on them, waiting to sell them, while pretending to be SKS fans, only makes me cheer the real enthusiasts more.

>By the time you've upgraded your SKS enough that it works like a poor man's AK

You mean by adding detachable magazines? That costs virtually nothing. Most of the expensive modifications are done by replacing damaged stocks or radically altering the gun like the OP pic.

>an actual AK...that will do the job better.

This is debatable (I'm leaving the AR out of this because it's unquestionably a good, if boring, gun whose price is rapidly dropping). A lot of AKs in the United States are of godawful quality. I've heard various reasons for this, including that any brought in had to be modified to be semi-automatic and thus are Frankensteinish inside, or they're made by American manufacturers on the wrong machines with little quality control.
>>
>>33879900

See >>33879807

Fucking nogunz memers.
>>
>>33879929
>The only real enthusiasts for SKSs are the ones that care about functionality

While I dislike the specific people you mention who are just looking to hawk their original configuration rifles in 40 years (and who would, ironically, be better off encouraging this kind of modification) as much as the next guy, it's kinda shitty to pretend that people who like the platform for its historical value aren't "real" enthusiasts. In doing so you're arguably just as bad as they are when they screech about how you've ruined the rifle.

>Detachable magazines
Fair enough that that's fairly cheap, but you understand that for the higher end of the prices SKSs are going for these days in the states ($400 for a yugo or $5-600 for a russian, anyone?) plus the money for those magazines you CAN actually get a barebones AR.

You will also notice that people don't bitch and moan about just doing detachable magazines because that's fairly reversible and involves minimal modification. I'm talking largely about the stuff like in your pic, where you've drilled holes in the bolt cover for a scope mount or kludged things onto the gas tube or mutilated the bayonet mount/barrel in the interest of trying to put a laser sight on it. Or dropped it into a custom stock like that one/some plastic folding monstrosity, which does not modify the original configuration irreversibly but is dropping enough money into the gun that you could have just bought an AR.

And it's fair enough that AKs are godawful in the US, it's largely in-house production still going through the teething process of working all the kinks out of their manufacturing - coupled with trying to cut corners to keep their prices low enough that people will actually buy them while still employing American labor.

But I would also like to point out that reliability with your detachable duckbill mags on the SKS is really really hit or miss compared to the indestructible system on the AK.
>>
>>33879929
>>33880107
The other place the SKS suffers relative to the AK is the lack of really any good scope mounting points, leading to all of these kludge jobs that just aren't that good.

So yeah if you want to take an old rifle and make a project out of trying to modernize it, more power to you.

But if functionality is truly the only thing you're after, you're better off with an AR at that price point.
>>
>>33879736
what the fuck am I even looking at the picture.
Where will I place my soft cheek
where can i place my forward grip and not butcher my hand after every shot
>>
>>33880107
>While I dislike the specific people you mention who are just looking to hawk their original configuration rifles in 40 years (and who would, ironically, be better off encouraging this kind of modification) as much as the next guy, it's kinda shitty to pretend that people who like the platform for its historical value aren't "real" enthusiasts. In doing so you're arguably just as bad as they are when they screech about how you've ruined the rifle.

I agree, and think you're actually misinterpreting me. I like the platform for its historical value too, to the point where I DID spend an extra hundred dollars or so restoring MY SKS' stock to its original configuration rather than buying something else, and I'm not looking to shit on myself. When I say "the real enthusiasts", I mean people who love the SKS for itself. Not people who see it as a cheap buy that might be worth something later, not "collectors".

The prices SKSs are going for these days are steadily rising, yes, but that's more of a concern for people who are just buying one now. I got a damned good one with matching numbers at a gunshow for considerably less than that several years back and trust it a lot more than I would a basic AK or Centuryshit.

>barebones AR

I addressed this. You're absolutely right on that point, you can get a barebones AR for $400-$600 these days and prices are only going down. However, some people don't like the AR.

>You will also notice that people don't bitch and moan about just doing detachable magazines because that's fairly reversible and involves minimal modification

This is flat-out untrue. They will bitch about how it deviates from Sergei's holy design. It's difficult to argue because I honestly agree with some of your points and have to comb through for the ones I disagree with. I'm also running out of room and need another post to continue this.
>>
File: 1473201371780.jpg (128KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473201371780.jpg
128KB, 960x720px
>>33879736
>why is that?
because the majority of modifications that retards make don't actually make the rifle any more useful, they just make it into an even bigger piece of shit than it already is. Bubba then gets disappointed that his hackjob doesn't feel like an AK/AR so he tries to sell it for 700 burger vouchers on Armslist. The abomination either becomes some other poor sod's problem or it sits in an LGS for the rest of eternity, doomed to trigger every autist that walks through the door until the end of time.

the SKS works well enough in its original configuration, enjoy it for what it is. If you want an AK, get an AK. If you want an AR, get an AR. Don't get an SKS and try to turn it into either of those things because it will only end in sadness and hundreds of squandered dollars.
>>
>>33879736
>>33880162

That bullpup is beautiful and I want to marry it and give it my seed.
>>
>>33880237

To continue from this post, >>33880107

There are a lot of flat-out bad modified SKSes. The OP one might actually be an example of that because it looks really awkward despite the pretty wood furniture, but there are also a lot that look and shoot great and bring obvious joy to their owners and, ultimately, that's what matters. The fact that it's YOUR rifle, something you cared about and put a little effort into to personalize with the clear intent to keep it and not sell it (unless you're some faggot who slaps tapco on it and sells it to gangstas on Armslist for $800). What's important is that you love your gun and your gun loves you.

>mutilated the bayonet mount

Makes me cringe, honestly. I don't want to tell other people what to do with their guns, and if you want to slap a bipod on there, fine, but actually hacking off the bayonet lug or shortening the barrel feels like neutering it and I personally dislike it.

>But I would also like to point out that reliability with your detachable duckbill mags on the SKS is really really hit or miss compared to the indestructible system on the AK.

I've heard this before but never actually had this experience. I've also heard Anons say that the duckbills are more reliable than the original system and the only reason it didn't use detachable mags is because soviet leaders thought the conscripts would lose them. Stripper clips are fun though.
>>
>>33880260

Triggering autists is a noble purpose.

>>33880373

It's not always about personalization. A lot of the ones you see with an aftermarket stock are that way because the old stock just got so worn down, nicked, and destroyed. Type 56 is a big offender there, the wood the Chinese used was notoriously fragile.
>>
>>33880237
>>33880373
Well shit, I apologize for having miscategorized you and misunderstood what the hell it was you were actually trying to say.

I'm in a similar position, with this new understanding I agree with pretty much everything you've got to say. So thanks for clarifying!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.