[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was d day not done at night?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: d-day-british-para_2917191c.jpg (38KB, 460x287px) Image search: [Google]
d-day-british-para_2917191c.jpg
38KB, 460x287px
The difficulty of coordinating large night ops?
>>
>>33879486
Just imagine the amount of friendly fire that would occur as second wave troops landed and mistook the remaining first wave for Germans defending the beaches...
>>
>I cant see shit, sarge!
>>
File: 1494071050421.png (984KB, 1060x883px) Image search: [Google]
1494071050421.png
984KB, 1060x883px
>>33879486
Truthfully because night missions have been and always will be considered dishonorable bush league bullshit tricks pulled by lesser men.
>>
Why didn't they just make a shitload of smoke ammunition for the naval guns and then smoke the German positions?
>>
File: 1452715925616.gif (2MB, 292x222px) Image search: [Google]
1452715925616.gif
2MB, 292x222px
>>33879486
Why didn't they just drop a nuke?
>>
>>33879552
>>33879567
Why didn't they time travel to the present and bring back nightvision technology?

The difficulty of doing that?
>>
>>33879486
It was done at night. The actual Airborne parts at least.
>>
File: frodo.png (184KB, 377x377px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
184KB, 377x377px
Why didn't they just land on a beach that wasn't defended?
>>
File: image.aspx.jpg (501KB, 1030x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.aspx.jpg
501KB, 1030x698px
Image is interesting enough to post a non ant-resolution version.
>>
>>33879582
Smoke screens were actually a problem during the landings, nobody could see the beaches to provide fire support or see how the waves were doing
>>
Even with relatively modern night vision technology and communications fighting at night is difficult and can easily be very confusing. Trying to co-ordinate shit, recognise things and other people/elements, identify the enemy, navigate or generally do things at the right time like move as a formation is all a lot harder than in the day or good ambient light. I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue if such a large operation, with such a large amount of troops, was enacted on a relatively small piece of land like a beach or town with 40s technology and conscript training.
>>
>>33879612
source on gif please
>>
>>33879578
It looks like a molded from RE7
>>
>>33879578

t. argentinian
>>
>>33879578
Jesus Christ, that image
>>
>>33879486
cos the light infantry would not work without light
>>
>>33879578
so is that why usa conducts most of its raides in the night lol

also what the fuck is that thing
>>
>>33879675
>>33879486
it was nice of the white to only have whites fight and not drag other races into it

god on them boys
>>
>>33879486
The airborne dropped in at night, but then again dropping in the day is near suicide. Also night fighting fucking sucks even with NVGs. Without them it would be even worse.
>>
>>33879612
what the actual fuck is this shit !!!!!??????
>>
>>33879675
Wtf is that a tactical tomahawk?
>>
Because it would have been stupid to call it D-Day if they did it at night. Idiot.
>>
Why didn't German High Command just challenge the Allies to a beer drinking contest?
>>
>>33879578
>white people
>>
>>33879486
Becuase it would then be called D-Night duh.
>>
>>33881265
i believe that is a horsa glider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspeed_Horsa

i knew it was glider but settled on this after furiously searching
>>
>doing a beach landing during high tide
>>
>>33881584
>do it at low tide
>have to run farther
Why?
>>
>>33881325
The Germans knew the Allies would bring in the Irish ringers
>>
>>33879486
If you have to ask a question about D-day, ask why Reich Intelligence was such shit
They bit hard onto the Fortitude South bait despite having every reason to doubt it.
>>
>>33881607
>do it during high tide
>landing craft gets stuck in sandbars and your troops drown
>no beach to land on
>can't see shit
>>
>>33881641
I don't think you understand what high tide is
How would you not be able to see shit?
>>
>>33879578
That is fucking creepy. Like, serial killer tier creepy. Do you think it's stuffed with the hair of murdered hookers?
>>
>>33881366
>>33881265
I believe he is referring to the axe/hatchet in the guys hand
>>
>>33881856
i think some us airborne units carried hatchets due to their units being named after indian names- hence mohawk seen in some pictures prior to dday also. can't find anything on internet right now to back it up
>>
>>33881856
It looks like a tool more than a weapon
The "blade" looks rounded

Maybe it's for levering shit?
>>
>>33879486
Because night would massively favor the defenders in that situation.
They can preplan all of their fires and know all of their ranges, so not being able to see exactly what they're looking at is much less of an issue, because they can already know all the terrain features and ranges to them, possible avenues of approach, etc.
Whereas the attackers, even with good intel, have to figure it out as they go along.
>>
Why didn't the Allies bombard the living FUCK out of the cliffs of Normandy and have the invaders walk up the rubble?

The German reaction took days
Why not spend a few hours hitting those cliffs with every gun on every ship in the Channel?
>>
Are there any alternative landing zones there?
That was shortest route what I know but that beach looks like slaughterhouse
>>
>>33882204
They did.
>>33882224
The whole landing zone for Operation Overlord was huge.
>>
>>33882204

Wasn't that the initial plan? I think the plan was to blow the defenses to hell and also crater the beaches enough to provide cover for advancing troops the night before , but the bombers fucked up because it was a night raid and ended up bombing way behind the defenses because their vision was shit.
>>
>>33882224
Yes!
Normandy was the "alternative" route

The smartest passage is at Pas de Calais. It's where the Chunnel is now.
The British ran a huge counterintelligence program called "Fortitude"
The goal was to mislead the Germans on where Overlord would happen
The fact of the matter is that you can't hide 150,000 troops.
The Germans knew an invasion would happen
So the British tried to mislead them onto where it would happen.

Fortitude North tried to sell Norway and Fortitude South tried to sell Pas de Calais.
Normandy was the real landing zone.

It worked amazingly. The Germans wholly believed in the Calais crossing to the point where upon hearing that Normandy had been invaded, they thought it was a feint.
If Rommel had shown up in Normandy when the first report came in, then we may all be sprechen sie Deutsch
>>
>>33882204
They did that, the bombardments landed behind the defenses
>>
>>33882299
What about the ships?
Shouldn't they have had LOS?
I mean why leave anything resembling a bunker left on the cliffs?
>>
>>33881325
HES GOT THE EYE OF THE JEW!
>>
>>33881265
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/aviation-history/raf-air-ministry-marked-escape-axe-11010/
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.