[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NYC gun law

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 9

File: trashpanda.jpg (171KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
trashpanda.jpg
171KB, 900x1200px
Hey /k/, couldn't find a general thread that seemed like it fit so here goes.

I'm moving to NYC and leaving aside considerations like clearing it with my roommates, I'd like to bring a pistol. I understand that carrying is not legal without a permit, but I know there are ranges in the city. How exactly do I get around with a handgun? What is considered carrying vs. just transporting from point A to point B? I'm from the rural South so this has never really been an issue before...

pic tangentially related
>>
>>33877385
Willingly moving to NYC. You deserve every stupid fucking restriction you get you fucking moron.
>>
>>33877409
Yeah, making 60% more money. I must be some kind of nutjob.
>>
Their laws are so ridiculous and restrictive. This better be short term and the best paying job of your life. I lived in Oakland CA for a few months for work and that was shitty enough, no way I'd do NYC but concealed is concealed, keep your mouth shut and get good at hiding it.
>>
>>33877443
>having to spend 400% more on cost of living
>>
>>33877443
And you'll have a 60% higher cost of living.
>>
>>33877443

NYC cost of living like 200% compared to some other big cities

also very restrictive gun ownership

forget about bringing any guns with you
>>
>>33877443

I made almost 2k a week in California, if you're not making more than that, it isn't worth it. The stress alone of being around so many shitty people. I gotta have innawoods and funs.
>>
if the job isn't LE, it will be basically impossible to do anything gun related legally. don't do it
>>
>>33877443
Dude you're fucking stupid, the cost of living in NYC easily outstrips what you'll be making extra.
>>
>>33877451
>>33877454
>>33877455
>>33877491
My share of rent for a two bedroom in Texas was $400. My share in NYC will be $1k, which is 250%. But % is not really a fair comparison, my take-home monthly after rent will be $4k when it was $2.8k

>>33877457
>>33877482
Roger that. No guns I guess. Doing about $1250/week, but that's without quarterly and annual bonus.
>>
>>33877513

Go to school nigga, I make that much as a basic bitch nurse in the Midwest.
>>
>>33877385
Why did you make this thread? You're fucking stupid, that's why. You know Sodom is a gun free zone, you know that it's full of Sodomites, and you know no one on here would say 'oh yeah, great idea moving to Sodom, anon'. How you could have expected an outcome other than this is beyond my comprehension.
Think before you post, /k/ids.
>>
>>33877518
you make $90k base as a nurse? I actually thought doing an associate's in nursing after I got my (worthless but free) BA, but I went with software engineering instead.

>>33877541
oh I mostly hang out on /b/ and /vg/, no idea what y'all are like around here.
>>
>>>33877482
Food and alcohol will be about 25% more expensive. If you smoke, cigs are 200% more expensive. If you drive, you'll learn that you cant afford parking. Just find another job somewhere else, its not worth it. What industry are you in?
>>
>>33877518
The fuck? I teach chemistry and I get like a little over $3k take home a month, because fucking taxes and shit. Like I should be making $5k a month if that is what you think is going on. But fucking kikes in dc and Trenton
>>
I live in upstate and having all the laws of the state seemingly specifically for the city and Long Island is a frustrating thing.
Thinking of moving to Kentucky.
>>
>>33877560
>software engineering instead.
Are you the OP?
I have 3 years of experience and I'm pulling $115k as a software engineer in Chicago, plus I have a conceal carry permit and like 5 local ranges (within 45 minute drive). No outdoor ranges though.
>>
>>33877593
How bad is Chicago? Is the violence fairly isolated to specific areas?
>>
>>33877567
software engineer, with a couple of years experience I could get $140-150k easily here. The other issue is that SE jobs are all here and in California, some in Atlanta or New Orleans but not as many. With no experience this is what I got and I took it.

>>33877593
Yeah, this is my first job in the industry.

Chicago might be nice, I thought Chicago/Illinois was a bitch about guns though?
>>
File: 1494049585631m.jpg (104KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
1494049585631m.jpg
104KB, 1024x685px
>>33877560
>>
>>33877593
>conceal carry
>in a state with no Stand Your Ground
To each his own but you should probably have a lawyer on retainer if you make that cash.
>>
>>33877590
>I live in upstate
i sense someone from poughkeepsie.
>>
>>33877593
Sounds similar to me

>High Up Sysadmin for NYC Company
>Work remote from Minnesnowta
>Pull in over 90k a year

Always sucks to go to the office though out east, can't bring anything with me.
>>
>>33877513
I make more than with a highschool diploma in the Deep South.

You suck.
>>
>>33877618
definitely dutchess county
>>
>>33877385
Just moved to Florida from NYC, in the city you can't own, or transport let alone carry a gun without a license. It is possible to get license for ownership that will allow you to transport the gun to a range but it is an extremely long and expensive process. Pretty much the only way to get a carry license is to be a cop or DA. A couple other warnings I didn't see in the thread: in NYC pretty much any gun part counts as possessing a gun and in case you are thinking about just risking it and bringing it with you there is a standing ~$1000 reward for any tip that leads to an illegal handgun so be very careful.
>>
>>33877682
>standing ~$1000 reward for any tip that leads to an illegal handgun
Haha, what? Can I give a tip to a cache of hi points and get money?
>>
>>33877607
I'm actually both of the posts you replied to.
>Chicago/Illinois was a bitch about guns though?
Illinois is very gun friendly for the most part, Chicago and the burbs are not. Illinois got bitchslapped in the supreme court. Now conceal carry is shall-issue after a 16 hour course, fingerprints, background check, and 3 month wait. It costs about $300 when all is said and done. The beauty of it is that your conceal carry permit makes you abide by Illinois state laws instead of county or city laws.
What does that mean?
Normal people have to abide by the AWBs in Cook County and Chicago (which are basically unenforced), but CCL holders have to only abide by Illinois state law, which means no AWB, no magazine limits, but unfortunately no suppressors.

>>33877613
>no Stand Your Ground
There is no Stand Your Ground law on the books, but there is already precedent set that does not require duty to retreat if you are out and about, basically equivalent to stand your ground law.
>have a lawyer
I have a legal membership with CCW Safe.

>>33877604
>Is the violence fairly isolated to specific areas?
The majority of the violence occurs in bad neighborhoods, but it does spread. The public transit system here allows the shittiest people to easily get to the more affluent parts of the city, but they stick out like sore thumbs. You dont have drive-bys in the better parts of town, but you do have muggings and assaults, as expected. I haven't ever had any problems, but I'm also an unfriendly, well built, 6 foot 200 pound guy who dresses like he's lower middle class and has some "street-smarts".
>>
>>33877618
>>33877650
Nah, further north. Onondaga county
>>
>>33877705
If they actually find said guns then possibly, can't remember the tip-line number though
>>
File: slambangimprovisedshotgun-1.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
slambangimprovisedshotgun-1.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
>>33877682
>>33877705
>a return of the BOOTSBOOTSBOOTS saga
Do it and post results.
>>
>>33877762
This sounds like bullshit they make a disclaimer it can lead to a reward that is 'up to' 1000 dollars but is never actually handed out.
>>
>>33877782
the government wouldn't lie like that!
>>
>>33877709
Being white and big is going to lead to the DA giving you special attention, how is the CCW Safe service anyway? I remember someone shilling them but dismissed it at the time.
>>
>>33877782
I was about to add that the NYPD are masters of fucking people over so don't depend on the reward. I only mentioned the reward as a warning to OP about people who haven't read the fine print turning him in for the money.
>>
>>33877385
Handguns are totally illegal in New York State without a CCW permit. You can't even own them, let alone carry them.

Further, NYC is exceedingly restrictive when it comes to giving out permits; there's only ~1000 CCW holders in the whole city.
>>
>>33877733
>be in the cuse
>get food at kitty hoyne
>walk down the block
>dance at daisy dukes
>walk down the block
>get a drink at the bar
>catch a cab to paradise
>black out and wake up outside of dinosaur bbq
>>
>>33877385
OP if you are determined to try to legally own a gun, there's a range on 23rd Street in Manhattan that likes to talk about their ability to help people get permits, it's probably just marketing bullshit to get people to buy memberships but you could check it out.
>>
File: Willem_I_van_Nassau.jpg (1MB, 776x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Willem_I_van_Nassau.jpg
1MB, 776x1000px
>>33877590
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
A lot of bitches in this thread. When I have to go to ny for business I just bring my fucking gun with me. And what's with the trump and ccw reciprocity already, when is that shit happening
>>
>>33877833
This is wrong there a a number of different types of permits one can get in NYC, they are still very restrictive about handing them out and the applications are long and expensive

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/firearms_licensing/handgun_licensing_information.shtml
>>
>>33877733
Same. Just got my pistol permit in March. Just a heads up, Gander Mountain in Cicero is having a going out of business sale.
>>33877834
More like:
>get drinks and food at Kitty Hynes
>then Empire
>then Al''s
>then a boot at Biergarten
>black out
>????
>profit
>>
>>33877385

Anon I hate to break it you but the 2nd amendment doesn't apply in nyc

>willingly moving to nyc
>>
>>33877385
If you bring a pistol into NYC limits you will get a felony. You need a pistol permit, and a domicile permit, the domicile permit is so you can store a gun in your home.

DO NOT BRING AN UNREGISTERED GUN INTO NYC

YOU WILL CATCH FELONY GUN CHARGES AND NEVER BE ABLE TO BUY A GUN EVER AGAIN
>>
>>33877883
i believe OP was asking about legal options, pretty sure he knows he can technically do whatever he wants

>Universal CCW?
pretty sure state must already have a reasonable CCW program in place for CCW reciprocity to be effective
>>
>>33877802
>white
I'm not white, and I think being big helps me avoid altercations to start with.
>I remember someone shilling them
That was probably me as well. I think its a great idea to have self-defense insurance, especially when you live in a place like Chicago, where you feel its likely you'll actually need it. With that being said, the extent of my experience with CCW Safe was basically just me doing my research on different providers and choosing them based on features and price. I've never had to actually use their services, so I cant really vouch for them. They have Larry Snickers backing them, which makes me laugh. I just dont want to go bankrupt because of a liberally corrupt justice system, and I feel like CCW Safe has me covered. If you live in a shithole and you carry, you should probably have some kind of legal insurance. They're all typically under $200 a year.
>>
>>33877883
>waiting for Trump to fulfill campaign promises
lol good luck with that. you got taken advantage of by another rich fucker pretending not to just be another rich fucker.
>>
>>33877900
yeah, OP here, I have already given up.
whatever, for me it's just a hobby.
>>
>>33877900

WHAT
You need a permit tobhave a gun in your home?

That's some fucked up shit
>>
>>33877927
Do they have a track record winning cases? Vickers is an okay guy but he'll say a nice word for anyone with a check.
>>
>>33877900
This fucking cuck. Fuck you and spineless slugs like you. Your goddamn constitution gives you every right you need you piece of shit
>>
>>33877385
Be careful, permits in nyc are only for the elite and those with the right connections. The sullivan act of 1911 also requires a permit for possesion of a handgun in your own home. The act was put in place to keep the surge of immigrants mostly from italy and ireland from being able to defend themselves. The act not only disenfranchised them but also surged the cities crime rate by 15% . Just be careful, NYC is an authoritarian rats nest that trades your rights for the potential to make a decent wage if you can get your foot in the door.
Hey at least its not shitcago. Good luck.
>>
>>33877927
>not white
What shade of non white are you?
>>
>>33877911
>pretty sure state must already have a reasonable CCW program in place for CCW reciprocity to be effective
NYS does have a pretty reasonable CCW program, outside NYC and Albany anyways.

All you need to get your permit is fill out one form, get 3 character references, and pass the background check. Fairly certain that outside of the city, they can't just refuse you for no reason.
>>
>>33877999
>cant refuse you
county judges discretion, lib counties are much more difficult and you usually have to have some BS reason to justify your right to self defense
>>
>>33877999
>character references
seriously who the hell can't find three people who'll vouch for them
>>
>>33877892
>>33877834
>eat at kitty hoynes
>get an IPA at empire
>go to blue tusk
>realize how full it is
>check out the penny for old times sake
>realize it's full of hipsters but the bartender is a 10/10 blonde with huge rack
>meet up with some people at al's
>get pizza at 2am from that place right there
>donate a cigg to the United Negro Whisky Foundation
>go home, drink, watch some old mst3k till I fall asleep

>>33877874
Awe
>>33877892
>gander mountain going out of business sale
Thanks senpai
>>
im just mad because i have lived in multiple counties in NY and various other states (.mil, education, work experiences) and have never lived anywhere in NY long enough for a pistol POSSESSION permit (yes that is required first)
>>
>>33878036
>pistol POSSESSION permit (yes that is required first)
Not outside the city.
>>
>>33878017
The only lib counties are NYC, Long Island, Albany, and Buffalo.
>>
To get a rifle you have to go to the courthouse in brooklyn and get a license. Pretty much a nugget is all you can have.
To get pistols you go to 1pp and apply and they deny you because they can and you cant do shit. Any pistol you own will not be able to be legally transferred over they don't care and FFLs in the city hate you. Upstate new york and new york city are 2 different places. Outside of new york city its a bit easier but you must have residency out there. You may not lawfully possess legal ownership for both up and down state new york.

10 rounds max for pistol magazines, 5 for rifles no such thing as preban. Assualt features on rifles include Forgrips, muzzle devices of ANY kind, pistol grips, thumbhole stocks, removable magazines, semi automatic action, folding stocks and adjustable stocks of any sort. Pretty much glock19 is the only legal pistol you can have dont get started on those laws. There is NO legal nyc carry of any sort. Upstate is easy to get carry in most places though.

Enjoy the fees, waiting times and taxes. I just got out.
>>
>>33878017
Even then they will just not issue you it unless you know some high official, multiple cases of women wanting one to defend themselves from pschyo exes who had restraining orders on them, being given the runaround and finally winding up stabbed, strangled or shot to death waiting.

>>33878036
NJ is way worse for everything but maybe ordering ammo and accessories online.
>>
>>33878060
NJ is not worse. The 2 worst states are new york and hawaii.

New york makes you a criminal for anything. They don't care and have more money than you.
>>
>>33878051
wrong, pistol permit is required before anywhere in NYS before purchasing or taking possession of a pistol. must go thru county sheriff/judge, and you can request CCW at time of that approval
>>
>>33878017
Onondaga county is very hard to get a CCW in. You can apply and it'll get knocked down to a domicile permit, if it gets approved; but for a CCW you need a reason that they approve of. Like being a cop or handling large amounts of cash.
>>
>>33877996
white and yellow, so yeah the media would say I'm white.
>>33877978
I have no idea, they have a "testimonial" on their website that says they've handled at least one.
>>
i can't really understand why some posters are justifying NY's faggot laws- just GTFO when you can
>>
>>33878057
Onondaga mother fucker. Syracuse mayor declared it a "sanctuary city"
>>
>>33878092
I agree, Im the Shitcago poster in the thread and I left NYS after the Safe Act passed.
>>
>>33878080
You can get a CCW permit without a pistol possession permit.

It is true that you cannot own a pistol without any permit, but you don't need a possession permit to apply for a CCW permit.
>>
>>33878098
tompkins also- ithaca is a liberal fucking wasteland
>>
>>33878078
In my opinion New York City's shittyness is contained within itself, NJ's just creeps over entire counties like a cancer.

But just leave all that shit behind you.
>>
>NYC
>2nd amendment
The jew capital has nothing to offer for gun owners except felony charges. Enjoy
>>
>>33878109
law text/source?
>>
>>33878136
My mom got her CCW permit without a possession permit. The application had a check-box to specify which kind of license you wanted.
>>
>>33878132
HAHAA THE JEWS!!

go back to /pol/
>>
>>33878150
sounds like part of the story is missing
>>
>>33877385
>I'm moving to NYC
>>33877443
>making 60% more money

just own two houses then
or a storage building
don't take a gun to NYC
don't try to drive a car in NYC
don't try to live in anything but a one room apartment in NYC
>>
>>33878088
Ok. I was afraid I was helping nigger or a Muslim this who'd time, I have nothing against mutants like you
>>
>>33878207
Here's the form:
https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/PPB-3.pdf
>>
>>33878280
Let me add:
Non-shit counties do not require you to have a real answer for why you need to license.
>>
>>33878280
>>33878297
One more addition:
I fucking hate NYS, but outside shit counties its actually not that hard to get a CCW.

I am not trying to defend our gun laws, the SAFE act is dogshit.
>>
>>33878351
Unless NYC recognizes those permits it's useless to OP.
>>
>>33878385
Even if NYC recognizes them, its still useless because you can't get a permit outside your county of residence.
>>
>>33878280
>https://www.troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/PPB-3.pdf
that is the application for a pistol possession permit.
you select type of permits you would like.
you can either select "carry concealed" and get denied or approved, which automatically grants you possession at home as well
lib counties just select "carry on premises" so as to not ruffle lib judges feathers
>>
File: 248114.jpg (17KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
248114.jpg
17KB, 300x225px
>>33878213
>don't take a gun to NYC
>don't try to drive a car in NYC
>don't try to live in anything but a one room apartment in NYC

just do like most people who can afford to do.
have more than one house and have one outside of NYC
>>
>>33878451
The point is, you do not need to get a possession permit before you can apply for a carry permit.
>>
>>33877385
If you can afford to and don't mind commuting, move to Putnam county or anywhere above Westchester and Rockland within reasonable distance. The city is a festering shithole and its cancerous inhabitants keep cumming north in droves every year.
>>
>>33878236
>helping
I think you got confused somewhere, I'm not the OP.
>>
>>33878472
thanks, i misspoke. i was referring to the ridiculousness of the process, and going off anecdotal knowledge of other NYers being allowed to possess in their homes but having been denied the right to carry.
>>
Cuse anon again. The gander sale is a bust. No discounts on guns or ammo. I got some pants. Gun counter guy said New Hartford store has 15% off firearms. Also CNY meet up when?
>>
>>33877682
Aren't airsoft guns also considered firearms in NYC? I live in NJ, so I'm also fucked, but NYC makes NJ look like fucking Arizona.
>>
>>33878655
Thanks for checking that out for us.
You go to the gun show couple weekends back at the fair grounds?
I'd be open to the idea of a meet-up.
>>
>>33878794
Yeah I bought ammo and my buddy got a ppk/s
>>
>>33878860
how much for ppk?
have not yet heard of any gander deals being actual deals
>>
>>33878910
$550 I think.
>>
File: 1469268293412.jpg (205KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
1469268293412.jpg
205KB, 1936x1936px
>>33878740
No, they're not considered guns in NYC. They're just banned altogether.

>However, some municipalities and states place restrictions on Airsoft guns. New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco, and parts of Michigan outlaw Airsoft guns entirely.

http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/airsoft-guns.html
>>
>>33878740
I don't know if they are considered firearms but they are illegal also so it doesn't make much difference
>>
>>33877604
yes
>>
>>33877385
Step one: reference the pronoun "it" in second paragraph, first sentence for us.
>>
>>33877513
So you're paying a 1/4th of your income in rent instead of 1/7th. Smart.
>>
File: 26323589_p0.jpg (1MB, 1066x1300px) Image search: [Google]
26323589_p0.jpg
1MB, 1066x1300px
>>33877560
>from /b/
>acts like he knows what he's talking about here
It checks out.
>>
>>33877385
Don't be listen to any of these idiots dude. NYC is awesome. Are there stupid politics at times? Of course. But not everyone is a raging leftist and it is a great place. To own a firearm you will need a license. It's not that big of a deal and when you transport it just make sure you have a trigger lock on it. Have fun
>>
>>33879436
From that thumbnail for a second i thought it was florida. God i need to sleep
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.