[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where the Gunsmiths at?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 1384180.jpg (62KB, 244x300px) Image search: [Google]
1384180.jpg
62KB, 244x300px
I need to replace a worn firing pin in an old Herter's SR40 .38 DA revolver. What's the best way to get the bushing out without the bushing tool?
>>
Snap ring pliers are 3.99 at harbour freight, its not perfect but it works.

https://www.harborfreight.com/snap-ring-pliers-with-interchangeable-heads-60531.html

Also sage on you for posting a shitty thread, you couldve just googled this shit you retard.
>>
>>33876864
I did google it. Didn't see shit about snap ring pliers. Thanks anon.
>>
>>33876864
Okay your idea is fail I need another. Even if I file the tips of the pliers down to the proper size for the holes there is not enough room to get more than a miniscule amount of turn because of the size of the pliers and interference from the frame.

Thankfully it only cost me $4 to test it out.
>>
>>33878448
have you tried all the different angle heads on them.
>>
How about a few pics of what you're up against. As far as space to work with, it's a little tough to provide suggestions without seeing the problem.
>>
>>33878568
The 45 and 90 degree are the only ones that will even get in there. With the current position of the holes I'd get maybe 5 degrees of rotation before the edge of the plier head would contact the frame.

I'm looking at maybe cutting up the straight plier head to fab a tool since it's got nice flat sides that would make screwing a block of aluminum as a spacer pretty easy.

My inner cave man just wants to take a punch to one of those holes and try to tap it loose. but in my heart I know that's the way of the barbarian.
>>
File: 100_2283.jpg (351KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
100_2283.jpg
351KB, 2048x1536px
>>33878651
>>
>>33878745
nigger buy the fucking tool.
Or take 2 punches and push, do not punch it to turn
make sure your going righty tighty lefty loosy.
>>
>>33878801
Show me where I can buy a tool for a 40+year old german-made DA revolver. The only tool I see when I search is one listed on brownell's and midway, both listed as "discontinued".

I may be able to get one of these plier heads to work but I gotta get the tips down to the right size first.
>>
>>33878855
short of making something with a file, or pushing it open with 2 different punches which probably wont work because its probably seized up anyways, your fucked.
>>
You could maybe jury rig something together using a small ratchet wrench and a couple pins, if you're handy with a welder
>>
I'm not fucked this gun can't be worth $150 anyway.

This gun was made in the same factory that is currently turning out EAA's windicators. It was a cheap shit gun in the 1970s when my grandpa bought it to live under the seat of his truck. If it wasn't for the sentimental value and my fondness for tinkering I would have sold it for like $75 by now.

Even with the wonky firing pin it DOES fire in single action...so I have that going for me, which is nice.
>>
>>33878855
It's a incredibly common head design for anti tamper screws Measure the distance between spanner holes and buy a 50¢ bit that fits.
>>
>>33878745
Just get a piece of barstock and pins that fit in the holes, drill two interference holes for the pins on the correct centers, et voilá
>>
>>33878893
>>33878801
this and this, maybe soak it in Kroil for awhile because frankly its probably seized up.
>>
File: Spanner-Technical-data.jpg (196KB, 882x645px) Image search: [Google]
Spanner-Technical-data.jpg
196KB, 882x645px
>>33880401
This guy hit it on the head. It's called Snake Eyes bit after like two seconds of googling

Find the closest distance with some 20 dollar calipers and get to work with some files if it isn't a perfect match. Also try heating it up a bit with a hairdryer and then soak it in kroil

Love this place sometimes.
>>
Im still the first to reply to this thread, and its always astonishing how many threads like this there are, just a basic lack of understanding about tools and how 90% of problems you encounter can be fixed by basic nigger rigging, I mean its mostly just standard problem solving.
>>
>>33882689
Life is about learning, and at least OP tried to figure it out and eventually got an answer in the event he is still here. Sometime you just need a new perspective and he seems like a good guy trying to fix his late grandpa's gun instead o pawning it off for an Xbox game and Monster.
>>
File: I'veseenshit.jpg (34KB, 750x507px) Image search: [Google]
I'veseenshit.jpg
34KB, 750x507px
>>33882689
>gave a 'solution' that didn't work
>why can't everyone be as smart as me?
Nice and warm up your ass, isn't it?
>>
>>33883157
You see the thing about problem solving is it dosent always work the first time, but getting pissed that anons on a malaysian tiger taming forum didnt serve you up a solution on a golden platter is retarded considering its your fucking problem.

We dont have the gun, dont know the problem, if the fix dont work, thats your fault for being inept, not only at not being able to do it yourself but expecting the world to fix your every problem.
>>
>>33883199
I'm not OP, I'm just saying that people, you included, walked through a problem together of their own volition, no one is born knowing what snap ring pliers are or what snake eyes security screws are. Why are you so mad about this?
>>
File: 1460598061973.jpg (36KB, 460x503px) Image search: [Google]
1460598061973.jpg
36KB, 460x503px
>>33876733
>find a piece of metal roundstock that fits the holes
>make a "u" shape that fits into 2 of the holes
>insert and unthread with pliers
>???
>profit
>>
>>33883294
neither did I, so I drug my ass to home depot and looked around for soemthing that might work, got it (Maybe shoplifted when i was a broke ass) and tried it, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt, I was unscrewing bushings with bent fork tines long before i found a snap ring pliers.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.