/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a vepr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: VEPR 54R.jpg (37KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
VEPR 54R.jpg
37KB, 400x400px
Seriously looking to get myself a vepr. I have a TON of 7.62 x 54R surplus steel core lying around, and I hear the vepr is more reliable than PSL. My questions are:
>Will shoot milsurp/cheap ammo reliably?
>Is the 16" worth it (I've heard problems)?
>How well will scopes work on it?
Mainly looking for those who've experience it well enough. MA fag, so I'll be using mainly 10 round mags, but I wanna make sure this thing can handle a beating and then some.
>>
>>33876042
>>Is the 16" worth it

Not for 54r.
>>
It's recommended you don't shoot anything over 147gr in it. It WILL shoot it, but it will dramatically increase wear time and break the gun in about 1000 rounds.
>>
>>33876060
Why not though? I'll probably get a standard 23 or something, but what's wrong with the 16 with 54r?
>>
>>33876042
>I hear the vepr is more reliable than PSL
My psl has a 100% track record except for when it was brand new and seemed to have a short break-in period where I had a few stovepipes in the first spam can. Accurate too.
>Will shoot milsurp/cheap ammo reliably?
Yes.
>Is the 16" worth it (I've heard problems)?
IMO, 20" or 23". 20" is probably my favorite vepr length. 54r needs more barrel length to get speed up, unless your main objective is more about fireballs.
>How well will scopes work on it?
As well as any slav gun. Keep to the 4 or 6x24 scopes IMO though.
>>
>>33876064
Personally, I don't see why anybody would want to shoot heavy ball anyway if you had an easy choice like you do with 54r noncorrosive.
It smack rocks etc with less reaction, and doesn't have a good of trajectory. It definitely drops faster when I'm shooting my steel at a few hundred yards.
>>
>>33876064
Interesting, that's a very low round count IMO, huge turn off too because I'm looking for a brick shithouse to put through the paces
>>33876071
Very informative, thank you! 20" was definitely a good option for me. But how do you feel about vepr versus psl?
>>
anyone have sugestions on a scope? ive owned one for a few months love the thing i just want a scope for it nothing too fancy.
>>
File: my Vepr + ZOS 3-9x40 scope.jpg (381KB, 1630x570px) Image search: [Google]
my Vepr + ZOS 3-9x40 scope.jpg
381KB, 1630x570px
>>33876215
I got this adjustable 3-9x thing with my .308 Vepr a few years ago. The brand's something like "ZOS" ?

Been a great workhorse so far. Holds zero, and at 100 meters, you can easily shoot off caps of soda bottles
>>
File: IMG_3241.jpg (1MB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3241.jpg
1MB, 1500x2000px
>>33876098
>But how do you feel about vepr versus psl?
I think the psl is the way to go for me personally. I like to have a military gun over a sporter. Also, the psl has 10rd double stack mags. The psl is a lot more expensive than it used to be but I'm picky about having military style guns, so it justifies the price difference for me at least.
The thing with vepr rifles is that they're pretty much always a slam dunk with fit and build quality. The veprs with thumbhole stocks are the only ak sporter rifles that I still think look, and especially feel really good in the hands too. Saigas disgust me with their garbage plastic stock and having two extra ugly pin holes because of the oddly placed trigger group.

And other than your supposed stash of 54r(which I hope is as big as you imply if you're choosing 54r over 308), I'd always say go with the 308 model. Noncorrosive 308 is quite a bit cheaper than 54r too. It's 7c/r cheaper AFTER shipping than corrosive surplus 54r or tulammo(same price) BEFORE shipping at it's cheapest now. You'll save money using 308 in a hurry if you shoot much volume per year.
>>
Why not get a Vepr in .308 instead?

They are available nowadays.
>>
>>33877001
Do they exist in 16" barrels?
>>
i heard the wasr's come with canted sights pretty often. is this true for the veprs and arsenals?
>>
>>33876042
My brother has a 23" version with a 8x posp optic on it. It runs like a top, has put a couple spam cans through it without issue. I would vote vepr over psl. Cheaper overall, mags are easier to find. Kvar is getting replacement parts like extractors and firing pins.

That being said, I dont know how much surplus you have. Commercial x54r runs .50 and up for cheap stuff. The 308 gives you way more options from ammo types to calibrated optics. Plus there is less of a concern for import restrictions in the future. Consider selling off the bulk of your stock and jumping in the 308 balls deep.
>>
>>33877188
Current wasr is fine!!! Just about all AK's will have some degree of cant, both sights are aligned on the barrel, not the receiver. My vepr has some cant to it, much less then my PSA ar upper. The f marked sight is noticeable off to the right, but as long as it zeros its fine.
>>
Psl is , their mags are the issue
>>
>>33877424
It should come with two, enough for normal shooty bang bang needs.
You don't need 30 mags for a toy.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.