[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best beginner weapon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (703KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
703KB, 3008x2000px
Hey there /k/ I'm fairly new to the 4Chan and Guns as well and I'm here to ask, what's the best gun to get started with? I'm looking for self-defense here as well. So nothing too crazy like an Assault Rifle. But something that's cheap, easy to use and maintain, and an overall good gun.

Recommendations?

Pic somewhat relevant, it's the first gun I've shot but I'm not too sure if it's the best.
>>
Is this bait
>>
>>33874302
Well, first off, how did you like it?

Would you change anything about it?
The recoil, the sights?
Slightly different grip angle?
Manual of arms?

What's your price range?
>>
Oh well, the gun itself feels nice but it's not actually mine ya see. It was my dads so it's not technically mine. And price range I'm looking at...maybe 200 to 600. Not too expensive.

Thanks for responding!
>>
A glock. Or alternatively, go to a gun range and try what they have.
>>
Well thank you sir! I'm not too knowledgable on guns and all so that's why I came to /k/ so then I can learn more about them. Thanks my dude!
>>
>>33874364
First off, don't listen to anyone who immediately shouts "GET X!"
They may be right but the fact that they assume something means they probably aren't.
This goes for gun stores as well. Try EVERYTHING.

As for $5-600, that's smack in the middle of everything.
If you liked 1911 ergonomics I'd try a CZ-75 pattern handgun (this includes the clones like Tanfoglios and Jerichos, all of which will slightly tweak the Ergos one way or other) or a Glock (sadly)

I would also like to point out that I'm recommending 9mm seeing as it offer higher capacity and lighter recoil and cheaper ammo for little to no tradeoff (anyone who claims .45 has more "stopping power" has neither brains nor an internet connection)

I highly recommend going to a range and renting a bunch of stuff as the Glocktard up above said though.
There really is nothing quite like shooting a gun to know if you'll like it or not.
>>
>>33874491
Oh, and while we're at it, of you're only just buying a $5-600 handgun for self defense you are nowhere near being able to afford an assault rifle.

Maybe a modern sporting rifle based off an AR or an AK pattern, or even a battle rifle if you scrimp and save.
But several thousand bucks for a rifle that will only get you fucked over if used for self defense is pointless.
This doesn't include the fucking wait times for the NFA BS.
>>
>>33874302
Gold Cups are glorious. There are other pistols that are more accurate, but every single one of them is going to be a bespoke/semi-bespoke gun that costs thousands of dollars.

>something that's cheap, easy to use and maintain, and an overall good gun.

I assume based on your OP pic that you're talking about handguns specifically. You have many options:

>DA/SA autoloaders

Beretta 92FS, CZ-75, Jericho 941, HK USP

>Striker-fired autoloaders

Glock 19, Sig P320, Beretta APX, S&W M&P 2.0

>SA autoloaders

5'' 1911, Browning Hi-Power

>DA revolvers

Smith and Wesson 586/686, Ruger GP100, Ruger SP101, Smith and Wesson Model 10

>SA revolvers

Uberti SAA, Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Blackhawk

>Firearms specifically geared towards concealed carry

Ruger LCP, Glock 43, S&W Shield, S&W 442 or 642, Ruger LCR

While these guns cover a wide number of price points, none of them will run you more than ~$700 new. What you will find if you actually try out many of the above guns is the reality that there is no "best" gun for everyone, only a gun that is best for your particular circumstances. What those circumstances include is something that only you can decide.
>>
>>33874302
>best gun to get started with
one that you don't mind beating to hell. you can find police trade-ins relatively cheap. from glocks, to sigs, to 92s, to s&w; most are aesthetically marred but still in working order. buy one cheap. use the money you save for ammo. take a few defensive handgun courses. when you feel that you could be proficient to alter your platform, buy something better.
>>
>>33874513
There is no possible way he meant a F/A rifle you colossal buttfucker
>>
>>33874736
>there is no possible way he meant a full auto rifle

And what if I told you I was attempting to correct him but without being a full on Sperg about it?

Would you prefer I went the usual route and just went HEY FUCKNUT, YOU DONT MEAN ASSAULT RIFLES, YOU MEAN A SEMI AUTOMATIC SPORTING RIFLE!!!!!
>>
>>33874302
Find a place that rents and try some 9mms.
>>
>>33874317
fpbp
>>
File: Notthzzing.png (660KB, 1205x669px) Image search: [Google]
Notthzzing.png
660KB, 1205x669px
>>33874302
Go to a range/lgs and spend literally a couple hours renting/shooting/trying different firearms. Try different calibers, different frame materials, different trigger types, with and without external safeties, single and double stacks, different manual of arms, with and without ambi controls, sight types, recoil/muzzle flip, etc.

Figure out what you prefer. Protip: if you find that you are getting interested in firearms, you will quickly find out that finding a single firearm that will scratch all your itches is a hard find...BOOHOO time to buy MOAR. Can't decide on striker or hammer-fired? Get both. Like that SAO? Get it. Ohh that new striker fired double stack polymer framed new vundernine has a nice feel and trigger? Get it.

I tend to gravitate towards duty type pistols. Yes 1911's are fun and whaa whaa whaa but frankly there are a LOT of good options out there. I'm the guy who clowns you for buying an 1100.00 .45 1911 Sig instead of the 530.00 CZ that has higher capacity and fits you like a glove. Having said that if you won't use it or don't want it whats the point? Get what you like/works for you and PUT IN TRIGGER TIME.
>>
>>33874766
There's an in-between, somewhere direct and not passive agressive, but also not sperg.
Something like "You could probably get a cheap semi-auto rifle something like an AR or AK, but be careful not to call those assault rifles, which is a term that means something else entirely (and is misused frustratingly often)"
>>
>>33875376
Meh.
It's late.
I'm tired. I posted what I posted, I did what I intended to do, so if you'll kindly fuck off, we can be done wasting our time.
>>
>>33875387
Anon was right, you are a colossal buttfucker.
>>
>>33874302
>>33874302
It's interesting... a 1911 wouldn't be a bad gun to train on at all... Far more type 1 type 2 type 3 malfunctions. Takedown and maintenance is a bitch and a half, will teach him/her all the parts of a gun better...

Hmmm. Rock Island Armory 1911 in .45. THIS IS ONLY A RECOMENDATION FOR A TRAINING GUN! When you are ready for an everyday defensive carry go with a Glock 19 or Smith & Wesson M2.0
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.