[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wind-up rifles and clockwork guns.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: a20img61.jpg (18KB, 537x417px) Image search: [Google]
a20img61.jpg
18KB, 537x417px
Perhaps someone can help me on this.

In the "Difference Engine" novel, there are some mentions about "wind-up rifles" used by military forces. It's likely that they are some type of improved George Bunsen clockwork revolving rifle, which used a torsion spring inside the butt to move the cylinder, enabling semi-automatic fire.

However, the roman scorpio used torsion springs to propel bolts, so I can't help but wonder if torsion springs could be used to shoot bullets, making it a clockwork gun dependent on mechanical rather than chemical energy.

BTW, greetings from /tg/.
>>
Possibly the first "self cocking" firearm, essentially semiauto, was a spring assited revolver series built on old Colt Navy or army revolvers iirc.
>>
>>33868344
You are essentially talking about high level nerf launchers.
>>
I'm fairly sure that gunpowder has a lot more energy stored per kg. Also, gunpowder is very stable and robust especially when it's inside cartridges and so on.
>>
>>33868770
You must have misread the OP.
>>
You can get airsoft guns and air rifles powered by springs that can put a pellet out at 800+fps. With a more powerful spring I don't see any reason why you couldn't use one to propel a proper bullet at lethal speeds.

The power is limited by how hard the spring is to cock, no use having a spring rifle kicking out 2000+fps if it's impossible to pull back. I'd assume you'd need some incredibly bulky geared system to make it practical to fire.

TL;DR, probably doable, but it would be bulkier and more prone to failure than a good old fashioned gunpowder firearm
>>
File: Mershon And Hollingsworth.jpg (17KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mershon And Hollingsworth.jpg
17KB, 640x480px
>>33868641

This is that gun.
>>
>>33869011
>However, the roman scorpio used torsion springs to propel bolts, so I can't help but wonder if torsion springs could be used to shoot bullets, making it a clockwork gun dependent on mechanical rather than chemical energy.
Did i really?
>>
>>33869519
Yes. OP did not ask about superioty, you autist.
>>
in b4 G11
>>
Found info on weapons powered by clockwork. Springs seem to be the less promising way of storing energy for whatever you need. The "Der Kustenbrander" ie The Coastal Fire Ship, somewhere between a boat-sized torpedo and an unmanned fire ship, tried clockwork before moving to compressed air. So it is basically what >>33869069 says.

http://douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/clockwork/clockwork.htm

>>33868654
Those things use springs?

>>33869011
>>33868770
>>33869519
>>33869519
He did, but it's alright, I'm quite the autist as well. Plus, he is right.

/K/ might like these links:

>Pneumatic Guns
http://douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/pneuguns/pneuguns.htm

>Underwater Cannon
http://douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/underwtrgun/underwtrgun.htm
>>
>>33871790
Oh, this one as well:

>Ming military technology, ranging from the ingenious to the "on-drugs" designs:
http://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com

Thanks for the time and effort to help me, everyone!
>>
>>33871790
Yes, nerf guns use springs to fire
>>
>>33868344
I designed a spring-crossbow for a Ranger who a Crossbow wouldn't match the look for, it's overly complicated and ultimately pointless compared to a normal crossbow but it fits the gun looks if that's what you're going for.

Magic looking circle is just a simple enchantment that turns the crank for you if you're lazy, in theory it'd be fully functional in real life (though probably prone to breaking and a normal crossbow would likely have better velocity)

t. fellow /tg/ shitposter who had a similar train of thought
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.