[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the difference between an air rifle. That shoots a .22

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 370x136px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 370x136px
What is the difference between an air rifle. That shoots a .22 lead pellet at 490fps and one that shoots the same pellet at 1100fps? Is it the reservoir? How would one modify a PCP air rifle to to shoot at incredibly high speed?
>>
>>33863572

The difference is the supersonic crack.

Most people who get an air rifle that doesn't break the sound barrier do so so they can shoot squirrels and shit out of their deer blind.
>>
Air pressure and volume of pressurized air. Add grease or diesel to the back cup of the pellet; should give you a bit more oomph.
>>
>>33863587
I mean mechanically

>>33863591
Deiseling doesn't give enough. I'm looking to at least double the output.
>>
>>33863877
Then buy a 2x output gun. Don't fuck up the slower gun, sell it
>>
>>33863591
>grease or diesel
Why does that help, how?
>>
>>33863947
>grease
lowers friction between the pellet and the barrel
>diesel
It combusts at 700 psi
>>
>>33863947

Adiabatic combustion
>>
>>33863877

You could always fill the back of the pellet with Rocket Candy
>>
>>33864010
I meant what's the difference in the gun. As in how are they mechanically different
>>
>>33863572
If you're asking about the mechanical differenec, it's in the valve/regulator.

A PCP air rifle works by releasing some compressed air from a valve, to propel the pellet. The pressure in the reservoir is anywhere between 1500 and 3000 PSI, the pressure (and amount of air) used for the actual shot is much lower than that.

A "normal" 12 foot pound (16J) air rifle like an AA s400f will get 70-90 stable shots going from ~190 BAR down to 100 BAR.

A similar, FAC class rifle might only get 10 shots from the same air reservoir, though at a much higher velocity/energy.

And no - it's not enough to "crank it up" to get a 16J rifle to shoot 100J. You can exceed 16J, but not by that much - going that high requires modifying the valve and regulator.

For example, if you had an old, 7.5J Walther LG200 (PCA, meant for 10m precision) converted to a PCP, you could use a spacer to increase the size of the shot chamber in the regulator to accept more air, and increase the power to 16J - that's what a friend of mine has done with his.

If we are talking about spring powered guns, then a heavier spring (aka magnum power plant) will increase the power - that's popular in 'murrica, but on the old cotinent, air rifles usually come in the 16J/12fpe limit.
>>
>>33863988
So you modify your airrifleninto an engine, nice...
>>
You don't want to go over about 900 fps with a diabolo pellet. Accuracy will suck.
>>
>>33865886
I see all sorts of lighter pellets on the market with like tin and plastic and shit. Will the extra speed out if a lighter pellet be negated by the fact it has less mass?

Do pellets even create hydrostatic shock at around 500fps? Or does the kill come directly from the destruction in the pellets path?
tl;dr
Will a lighter faster pellet be as Lethal as a heavier slower pellet?
>>
>>33865913
A heavier pellet will have more energy at the muzzle and it will retain more energy downrange. Light pellets are for short range target shooting (like 10m competition) or minimizing property damage if you're blasting small pests. Heavy pellets are for longer range target shooting or hunting larger small game.

>pellet guns
>hydrostatic shock

wew
>>
>>33865972
Well I mean you can achieve hydrostatic shock from pellet guns. There are .50 caliber pellet guns and .25 that go past super sonic.
>>
>>33865913

one word: INERTIA.

A heavier pellet will retain more velocity, because inertia makes it resist velocity change better, than a lighter pellet.

Consequently, because kinetic energy Ek=1/2 mv^2, losing velocity is a big factor for energy.

That super light pellet might have the same muzzle energy as a heavier pellet, because of the high velocity, but 30+ yards downrange, a heavier pellet will retain more of that initial energy. Also - overpenetration that lighter, faster .177 pellets get at shorter ranges is bad for having an effect on the target.

You can use pellets like H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme in .177 to bridge the gap between .177 and .22 at 30-40 yards, but if you mean to hunt, heavier pellets are the way to go.

And unless you are shooting something like piledrivers, or rabbit magnums, that are essentially slugs, you want to avoid breaking the sound barrier, because diabolo pellets suck at transsonic speed.
>>
OP, if you are as much of a bong as I am assuming you are, do not get caught doing this shit, and especially do not use it against anyone. This is how the rest of us lose our toys, and you wind up with these fine gentlemen paying you a visit to show you their G36s
>>
>>33866205
The democratic people's republic of Canada actually.

>>33866183
What are the best .22 pellets for rabbit and squirrel for around 500fps?
>>
>>33863591
would WD-40ing the pellet do the trick subtituting both?
>>
>>33866217
Replace pic with mounties, point still stands. Don't give them an excuse to ban airguns like the scots essentially have.
>>
>>33866217

15.89 grain around 500 fps is about 10 foot pounds. A 12 fpe rifle should do something like 580 fps.

Just shoot JSB exact 15.89 grain, or H&N FTT 14.something grain pellets.

Incidentally, baracuda HE does work in 12 fpe (16J) rifles in .177, but the .22 version needs a 25J+ rifle to work properly.

Other than that, which pellet will be best for your rifle depends on the barrel - the same type of rifle (exactly the same) can like different pellets barrel to barrel. So If I'm shooting JSB exact 5.52mm with my tx200hc, another tx200hc might like 5.50mm H&N FTT, and another might prefer JSB express 5.51, or whatever.

But generally, for rabbits and squirrel up to 50 yards with a 12 foot pound gun, use domed pellets.

>>33866221
dieseling is bad. Besides, "omg, i can make my rifle SHOOT HARDER!1!!11!!oneoneone1!!", it is hard on the seals, and the mechanism, and for maximum accuracy you want your muzzle velocity to have as little variation as possible, and dieseling is unpredictable. So if you're trying to poke a hole in a wooden board, then whatever, but hitting a bottle cap at 50 yards takes a bit more than just power.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.