[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CC revolvers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_2393.jpg (105KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2393.jpg
105KB, 800x600px
I was hoping to get some input from folks who CC a revolver. I wanted to get one to carry during the summer. It seems like there's even more to consider than with semi autos.

I rented an LCR and liked it. But when I looked around, I couldn't find any really good reloading options for it. 5 star makes a speedloader and speedstrips. But no moonclips or push style speed loaders.

So I started looking at J-frames. And whole crap it seems like you can get a Jframe in damn near any flavor.

So if you carry a revolver, do you carry reloads? If you do how (speed strips, moonclips etc). Basically big ol' revolver thread.
>>
>>33862031
Speed strip all the way. Slips right in the pocket and lays flat. Throw some barami hip grips on ur j-frame and just drop it in ur waistband. You could conceal it under a wife beater.
>>
If this is a vs thread I would get the j frame. More track record, more aftermarket parts. Lcr has issues with some speed loaders as the grip gets on the way. Lcr also has a weird trigger, gotta let it reset ALL the way, although it is a smoother stock trigger than the j frame.
>>
>>33862076

I didn't mean it to to sound like that but it kind of does sound that way. I'm just trying to learn about CCing a revolver. I went with the first 5 shot ones I could think of. But S&W has the Bodyguard to, which is more like the LCR. Is it that much harder to carrying a 6 shot revolver? Cause I was looking at the Combat Magnum or Wiley Clapp GP100 and they seem like pretty sweet guns.

>>33862058

That's what I've seen a lot of people say. Which is definitely a plus.
>>
>>33862122

Meant to include a picture of the Wiley Clapp.
>>
File: Photo-1_1.jpg (72KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
Photo-1_1.jpg
72KB, 600x350px
>>33862133

And here's the Combat Magnum for grins.
>>
>>33862031
here my carry, and i carry a speed strip.(ignore modificaitons).

Dont go to ruger for carry guns. Smith and wesson without a doubt makes the best revolvers. you cant beat the fitting or quality for the price.
>>
>>33862133
I think the Wiley clap gp100 is awesome, I wanted one for ccw when I first got into guns, then I held one in person. It's fuck huge. Don't kid yourself that you'll carry that day In and day out.
If you rlly want 6 shots maybe colt detective ? Or something similar sized.
>>
>>33862253
>colt detective
or buy 3 Armscor M206's.
>>
>>33862253

I've never held anything from the GP100 so I had no idea. THe lcr felt small enough to carry pretty easily.
>>
File: IMG_1311.jpg (909KB, 2278x2302px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1311.jpg
909KB, 2278x2302px
>>33862173
This is a troll image right?

>>33862031
I love my J frame OP, I'd shell out some cash for a trigger job or a Performance Center model.
>>
>>33862161
Much nicer than the Ruger.
>>
File: DSC02552.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02552.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
I carry a 4 inch sp101 and don't have any real issues. I usually have an HKS speed loader or two in a front pocket. I probably could have gotten a 6 shot snubnose for the same weight, but I like my 4 incher too much. To me the issue isn't the size of the cylinder, but how heavy the gun is. I wish that S&W would make L or N frame scandium revolvers. I would buy one in a heartbeat!
>>
File: wm_6218948.jpg (45KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
wm_6218948.jpg
45KB, 1000x750px
>>33862388

Looks pretty good too. And I think the Pro 442 can use moon clips or not.
>>
>>33862388
>This is a troll image right?
nope.
>>
>>33862502
Be really careful with J frames and PC, the pro series aren't actually Performance Center guns, nor do they have better triggers.

Generally if a S&W doesn't have the Performance Center logo it's not PC
>>
Anyone who carries a speed strip over a speed loader is either stupid or wears skinny jeans.

Seriously look at how small a speed loader is. You can load this almost as fast as a mag.

Anyone who has a speed strip. Try loading it as fast as you can in the comfort of your house. Now try doing it under pressure when being shot at.
>>
File: Gonne.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Gonne.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>33862031
Pic related is the revolver I carry. It is a Performance Center 642 that has a factory trigger job, is cut for moon clips, and doesn't have a lock. I felt it was the ideal carry revolver for my purposes, which is why I bought it.

Compared to the LCR, the trigger is about 1 lb heavier but the reset on it is faster and much more positive. The stock grips also lend themselves to concealment better (the Hogue Tamer on the LCR is comfy but bigger than I would like).

Compared to a Colt Detective Special/new 2017 Cobra, it holds one less round but is significantly lighter, smaller, and less expensive. The size/weight difference is such that the J-frame is an incredibly easy gun to pocket carry, while the Detective Special only pocket carries well in coats.

Compared to an SP101, GP100, or snub K-frame, it is a far more convenient gun for summer carry. Airweight J-frames are exceedingly lightweight, yet have very respectable power for their size. While you CAN conceal a compact or duty-sized revolver with the right holster and wardrobe, it requires much more time, effort, and money to do so.

As for how I carry it, I use either a pocket holster or no holster depending on the pants I am wearing and the season. It sits in my right front pocket. In a different pocket on my right side (coat pocket, rear pants pocket, dress shirt breast pocket, small belt pouch etc) it is accompanied by two speed strips loaded with 5 rounds each.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can explain.
>>
File: 1486936901875.jpg (110KB, 588x602px) Image search: [Google]
1486936901875.jpg
110KB, 588x602px
>>33862173
Could you give an overview of your mods please,?
>>
>>33862790
>shortened the grip.
>added clip on the back on frame, it can be flipped over.
>ground down the cylinder release to fit the clip and be harder to use.
>put white on the ramp of sight but paint the rest black
>painted the gutter rear sight black.
>>
File: S&W snub nose revolver.jpg (512KB, 933x700px) Image search: [Google]
S&W snub nose revolver.jpg
512KB, 933x700px
>>33862870
Can you elaborate on how you shortened the grip? Aren't there some important mechanical bits in there?
>>
File: 20170504_102458.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170504_102458.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33862031
My S&W 642. Usually carry in a pocket holster. I carry one or two Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders. The best carry method I've found is Jox loader pouches. They hook on your belt on offer quick access to the loaders while having good retention.
>>
Any model 640 Bros out there?????
>>
i am looking for a cc revolver in 9mm that can basically be used to protect against jamal -- will i risk ear damage? i know, is my life worth more than my hearing but can you fire 9mm revolver without damage? any recommends?
>>
>>33862994
alot of revolvers use flat main springs. These use a coil spring that only takes up about half the grip.
>>
File: index.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>33863164
>>33862994
i forgot the pic.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (154KB, 1851x859px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
154KB, 1851x859px
>>33862776

Thanks for the info. Do happen to know which model? It's really confusing how many different variants they have. I'm definitely looking for a pocket carry it sounds like the J-frame is what I want. Do you carry reloads, and if so how?

>>33863026

If it isn't too much of a bother could you take a picture with the speed pouch on? Just trying to picture how it sits.
>>
>>33862519
You need to stop showing that abomination off like it's something to be proud of
>>
>>33863164
>>33863174
Interesting, thanks!

>>33862776
>all these positive traits
and it looks damn good to boot
>>
>>33862031
>I rented an LCR and liked it. But when I looked around, I couldn't find any really good reloading options for it. 5 star makes a speedloader and speedstrips. But no moonclips
You want moon clips, you say? Look no further than the LCR in 9mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuE6ajPRkDI
>>
I've always wanted to open carry a colt single action army.
>>
>>33863255
The one I have is the one in the middle. If you have the opportunity to try dry-firing one at your LGS, I encourage you to do so. The trigger starts off great and gets even better with some practice/dry-firing.

>Do you carry reloads, and if so how?

I use two Bianchi Speed Strips loaded with 5 rounds each. They're actually quite fast once you've practiced with them a little bit. Look up Ayoob's tutorial on revolver reloads with Speed Strips if you want to learn the technique.
>>
>>33863271
im not proud nor ashamed. get over it.
>>
should I trade my 38 lcr in for the 9mm lcr? Its smaller, has moon clips and 9mm is arguably a better round?
>>
>>33863844
>should I trade my 38 lcr in for the 9mm lcr? Its smaller, has moon clips and 9mm is arguably a better round?
That's up to you, anon. The pluses for the 9mm are faster loading with moon clips and commonality of ammo if you have 9mm autos, but the big minus is that you *have* to use moon clips - you can't drop rounds in by hand. I got a good deal on an LCR in .357, so that's what I have, though I only ever shoot .38 with it.
>>
>>33863891
wtf,I assume a new one comes with a moon clip
>>
>>33863917
>wtf,I assume a new one comes with a moon clip
Well yes, it does. And they're cheap, so you can get a bunch more. Just be aware that you *do* need them.
>>
>>33862388
>shell out some cash for a trigger job

You're tarded if you can't take your own gun apart and do a little polishing. They are really very simple machines.
>>
>>33862031
Just make sure you buy a .357 and not a .38 spl like my dumb ass. .38 fucking sucks, .357 is superior in every way, and hey if you dont wanna shoot .357 all the time you can shoot .38 spl too.
>>
>>33862716
Normally about 1.5" wide BEFORE adding any retention vs a strip 1/3 that size. This is a thread about cc revolvers, not uspsa. If you want to talk about the merits of a speed loader for its size then we could get into carry a G26+mags or half a dozen kel-tecs
>>
>>33862031

I carry a basic 642 in a safariland pocket holster. I also carry a 6 round speed strip from Bianchi.

I've carried the 642 for years, but I would carry a Ruger LCR (I own one, but don't see the need to swap carry guns).

What I like about it is that my carry system is identical regardless of what I'm wearing. Casual business, cargo shorts, suit/tux, doesn't matter.

I accept the limitations, because I think any possible self defense is going to be close range, and if I present an armed defense, most criminals will retreat. I hope I never find out the hard way.

I also like that revolvers are immune (within reason) to bad grips or unorthodox shooting situations.
>shoot through jacket pocket
>pressing muzzle against target won't lead to a malfunction
>hold upside down
>offhand

There is just less chance of an issue when things aren't picture perfect.
>>
>>33862716

>speed strips are impossiblke to use while being shot at
>Speed loader is so easy that being shot at won't bother you at all.

ok.
>>
What barrel length do you guys recommend?
I can't say I like snub nosed revolvers.
>>
>>33862776
What do you think of one with an exposed hammer? I think it's the 637.
>>
>>33866558
2" to 2.5" is my preference.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.