[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking/CC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 14

File: 1493272004851.jpg (150KB, 644x422px) Image search: [Google]
1493272004851.jpg
150KB, 644x422px
I'm looking for a small lightweight gun for pocket carry and innamountains survival. I'm not too worried about bears because I know that it'd be pointless and my best defenses are the dog and my hiking buddy.
>grizzly bears have 10 minutes of oxygen in their organs after a fatal body wound
>panicked firing while being mauled to death is counter productive and dangerous to doggo
I also want something cheap that I won't mind ruining very much.
I looked at the:
ruger LCP in 380 (~$220)
Bersa Thunder in 32acp and 380 (~$270)
HP22 in 25acp (~$170)
Also looked at
what do you think?
I liked holding the Bersa best and I liked the safety the most (though it is plainly an inferior rip off of the beretta safety) and it seemed very shootable (unlike the LCP/lcp clones).
I love weird calibers like 25acp and 32acp though.
I liked the idea of the LCP a lot but it seems like it'd be miserable to shoot just for fun, even though it was probably the best gun if I never intended to actually shoot it (strictly truck/backpacking gun)
What else should I know about these guns? I a rifle guy so I really don't know that much about concealed carry.
>I promise I'll practice so I don't disgrace myself
>>
I'd go for a small .38spl or .357 revolver. gives you the option of using snake shot if that's a concern in your area.

If you want super affordable check out the Armscor m206 or the m200 if you want more barrel.
>>
The bersa is more comfortable, but the lcp is thinner, making it easier to conceal.

That aside, why carry a small gun innawoods for non target practice reasons? A .380 won't put down a couger or mountain lion, something I'd be objectively more worried about.
>>
>>33861945
You don't know a lot about bears do you son?
>>
>>33861945
If your concerns are two legged animals in the camp grounds, carry what you would for the same task anywhere else with perhaps more capacity

At the least try and find a police trade in glock 19/17 or an old doublestack Ruger or Smith and Wesson. All around the $350 dollarydoo level of poorfag.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 1024x680px
If you want my honest opinion, get a job you hippie fuck!!!
>>
>>33862155
I know plenty, if a bear wants to fuck me, it is going to fuck me. Hand cannon or not. Anything short of C-4 is not adequate defense against a mama griz
>mountain bikes are faster down hills than bears, I would know.
>>33862272
I really don't want a gun nice enough to worry about. It's going to ride along on river trips, on the mountain bike, in my pack, and in the truck. Why bother spending money on a gun I'm going to ruin? Nice guns deserve a better home than that.
>>33862230
what people? No one lives here.
>>33862084
honestly wolves are the biggest concern here because they haven't been hunted yet and are very bold. But they aren't stupid. If you shoot (at) one, they all run. We don't really have any cats around here, and they're hunted almost year round. Mostly it'll be a disposable gun to help me sleep at night when i'm listening to the wolves. I carry bear spray too.
>>33861990
We have bull snakes and brown racers and that's about it. Rattlers are all but unheard of. I'll look into the armscor, though. Thanks!
>>
>>33861945
Cheapo revolver or one of those retired Berretas

Both would perform fine and are very cheap. If you've got a pack on pocket carry isn't very convenient, so I wouldn't worry about size.

I like your thread OP, you give a decent amount of info.
>>
File: DSCF0553.jpg (631KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0553.jpg
631KB, 1600x1200px
>>33862272
I have one of those. Get a 10mm.
>>
File: bellatwin-556x660.jpg (93KB, 556x660px) Image search: [Google]
bellatwin-556x660.jpg
93KB, 556x660px
>>33861945
> Only thing that can reliably kill a bear is C4
> Bears can keep on going for 10 min after a fatal wound
> I don't understand biology the post
Girl in the 50s killed one of the largest recorded bears with a 22lr out of a Stevens rifle.
I've hunted brown bears in Alaska, North Canada, and Khabarovsk region in Russia. I have a other trip planned for Kemerovo in Siberia for spring 2020. Bears aren't the unstoppable killing machine's people make them out to be, they're like bug hungry dogs.
They aren't invincible, and we use bolt actions and our guides have semi automatic or other big bore guns.

You are wrong, and it doesn't sound like you are at all prepared for the outside.
>>
>>33862672
Big* hungry dogs.
Mobile posting
>>
>>33862487

Then all you need is the lcp if all you're looking to do is scare wolves off. Not only is it smaller and easier to carry, but it weighs less.
>>
File: bear survival.png (631KB, 885x566px) Image search: [Google]
bear survival.png
631KB, 885x566px
>>33862487
ALWAYS worry about cats, even if you think they are not around. Lions area ways big fuck your shit up animals and unlike wolves and bears you cant hear them coming most of the time and they will stalk you for days waiting for a perfect opertunity to strike. Generally I would avoid bringing a pupper in wolf territory, the wolves will smell him and try to track him down to kill him due to them thinking he is an intruder. My suggestion is to bring a gun that shoots 5.56, or 7.62 if you want to seriously drop a bear, pistols are nice and all due to being light, but when it comes to a grizzer they drop off the usefulness point (brown or black you'll be fine with a .45)

t. lives alone inawoods anon
>>
>>33862742
How do you get internet
Do you have a body pillow for cuddles
>>
File: 1479656876527.gif (941KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1479656876527.gif
941KB, 320x240px
>>33862827
I have a verison internet hotspot thing
Yes I do, its Chitoge from Nisekoi
>>
>>33862672
>shot placement meme
>hiring guides
I hope you go full donner party.

>>33862597
I do really REALLY like my friend's EAA witness elite 2 match. 10mm is a fantastic cartridge. Shame only starline makes decent brass for it though. But if I get a 10mm, it's going to be nice, not a beater gun.
>beretta will never make a 90-two in 10mm

>>33862683
That has been the thought. Lots of "used, shot twice" LCPs around here that makes it very disposable but seems like a bad gun because no one hangs on to them and the general lack of a proper safety. I also want to enjoy shooting it and it feels so small that i think it'd kinda suck to shoot.
>that feel when teaching a qt3.14 how to shoot innawoods

>>33862742
Honestly it's never far from my mind, but good habits make for peace of mind wolves and bears worry me much more. Best bet is safety in numbers. My dog is almost always within a few yards. She has the worst separation anxiety on top of being a rescue. And I can't bring myself to leave her home.
>border collie master race
>my dog is more autistic than I am

>>33862596
looking at the armscor M200 and M206 anon above mentioned. I also really like the 92S (I'm a huge fag for the beretta heel button) But a full size is just too big and awkward.

To date I've owned and sold the following pistols because they lacked practicality in the back country. (US park service used to really hate guns, less so now but you don't want to advertise)
>taurus PT1911 45
>springfield XD45 tactical (this was the last gun I paid full price for)
>1851 navy (for fun only)
>Beretta 92S
>1858 army (for fun only, made quite a bit of money off it)
It is mostly for shooting beer cans and to prop my pillow off the ground. Keltec(?) had a decently looking option, but the slide safety was a liability.

Currently looking for LGS that has an m200 for me to go fiddle with. Seriously favoring the Bersa right now. Any other ideas I should look at or serious flaws with the bersa?
>>
File: 1485574970605.png (712KB, 758x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485574970605.png
712KB, 758x600px
>>33863162
You have a border collie too! Post pupper plz
>MFW too poor to afford a camera or phone :(
I don live like a hermit in a shack in the woods and 4chan is the only website that loads padges with one bar of 3g service on the hotspot FML
>>
>>33863208
>I dont want to
Fucking hell....
Just get a shotgun and you'll be fine
>>
File: snip_20170504212416.png (531KB, 840x437px) Image search: [Google]
snip_20170504212416.png
531KB, 840x437px
>>33863208
this was our first trip of this year, went with friends down south to the desert. Turns out she is shit at hunting jack rabbits.
>>
>>33862742
>black bears are 5ft tall and 100-200 pounds

Hey I am bigger than that I could totally take one on!
>>
File: HillPeopleGearKitBagCoyote-011.jpg (323KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
HillPeopleGearKitBagCoyote-011.jpg
323KB, 1000x750px
>>33861945
>I'm looking for a small lightweight gun for pocket carry and innamountains survival. I'm not too worried about bears because I know that it'd be pointless and my best defenses are the dog and my hiking buddy.

This is absolutely untrue.

What do you expect from a .380 when shooting at humans let alone critters that weigh more than one? Do you honestly think you can defend yourself from a hostile animal with a goddamn .380 pistol?

This is what you do
>buy a .40 or .45 compact/fullsize
>a Glock 20 if you will
>buy pic
>actually carry a gun that is worth a damn at shooting at both two and four legged threats

You would be better off yelling and waiting your hands as opposed to missing everything left and right with a lousy unshootable .380.

.380 is NOT a critter gun.
>>
>>33863162
Shot placement isn't a meme, is this motherfucker serious?

Use Google, bears aren't living tanks.
People hunt them for fun, and yes you need guides in some forign countries it's a requirement for the hunting license in Russia, and places in Africa.
>>
>>33861945
Buy a mosin nagant and obrez it. Problem solved.
>>
File: 1493945416971m.jpg (259KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1493945416971m.jpg
259KB, 1024x768px
>>33863162
>>33861945
> Unarmed man watches his dogs get ripped apart by a bear and then gets eaten.

Glad your not coming to bear county.
Look out for cougars

Don't Make fun of people's dogs when your this much of a retard.
>>
>>33863314
Not him but I'm interjecting
I normally carry appendix, and I carry a sling bag for hiking/fishing
I was thinking about purchasing this chest fannypack, to conceal carry instead of using my appendix rig, for an extended hike/backpacking trip Im going on over the summer
Does anyone have experience with this?
>>
>>33863438
>Does anyone have experience with this?

I use mine for running. I too wear an appendix holster for my everyday carry.

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-12275.html
>>
>>33863450
But in specific
Do you carry a bag?
One with a chest strap?
I can easily see this getting in the way
and the only answer I have to my current bag set up is a battle belt
>>
>>33863562
Followup question for everyone reading
Anyone have a particular size they enjoy?
Recon looks best for Phone, wallet, keys, GPS, map, compass, and G19, but pictures lie.
>>
>>33863314
I don't live near people. It's a non issue. That's what the shotgun is for anyway.
My hiking buddy is absolutely my best bet at survival because bear spray.
.380 because cheap and good enough for plan B
I do not want a full size because it's expensive and probably gonna get ruined in a lake or some shit. Not to mention I have to carry it on top of a 35lb pack. I am there to relax, not hump it up the side of a mountain at full speed.
Not shit it isn't supposed to be a full size 454 critter cannon. It's plan B.
That bag does look like it'd be kinda cool, but won't work with my existing setup, I also want to avoid any attention from the rangers. Guns may be legal in the parks now, but that doesn't mean they like it.

>>33863352
absolutely a meme. shooting a bear with a 22 is a bad fucking idea no matter how good your placement. see anon's above post about the girl in the 1950's. Use google, bear spray is 97% effective. Guns are only 60%

>>33863393
I live in bear country. I have all my life. I would obviously prefer my rifle to a pistol if I needed it, but as a backup I'll sleep better because a mousegun is better than a rifle when you're sharing your tent with a bear.
And when did I make fun of dogs? My own dog is autistic.
>>
File: Q1t1CrW.jpg (815KB, 1950x2504px) Image search: [Google]
Q1t1CrW.jpg
815KB, 1950x2504px
Hope dis helps
>>
File: IMG_1831.gif (72KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1831.gif
72KB, 500x200px
>>33861945
I don't mean to hijack this thread but does kayaking in a state with castle doctrine laws require a concealed handgun license to have a handgun? I'm looking at doing a 100 mile kayak trip but don't want to do it unarmed. Open carry of long guns is legal but I don't want to keep my AR on a one point sling while I fish and my CCW permit process doesn't get finished for another month and a half. I'll take any advice out there, want to take my shitty "truck gun" on the trip. As a last line of defense because I watched deliverance as a kid.
>>
File: Cheap Guns list.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
Cheap Guns list.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
>>33864602
updated. Anyhow, I suggest the following: Taurus Judge in .45lc. It is massive enough to cause damage. with 410 000 shot shells to take care of wolves. If you have room in your bag a Henry AR-7 would be a good idea with a box of .22lr
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.