[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shotgun tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: Charles Daly Field 20 Gauge 3in.jpg (247KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Charles Daly Field 20 Gauge 3in.jpg
247KB, 864x1536px
Finally. Just went from noguns to hasguns! Last month I moved from Wisconsin to Arkansas, and this place lets me shoot guns my own yard. I'm out in the sticks, and though I have a few neighbors, we are still about 45 minutes from the center of town, and everyone has guns and big ass fucking dogs anyways. They also burn tires, throw molotovs, and shoot louder guns than this lil 20 gauge. The south is so so so much better than Wisconsin. Even though the hunting scene there is huge (I lived five mins from Lake Michigan, and five mins from the WI/IL border) the gun culture here is so much more relaxed it's almost scary. Gun ranges every mile and the Wal-Mart here actually has a gun section, WITH AMMO IN STOCK, HOLY SHIT. (Fucking WI never had any ammo in stock and never carried weapons)

The markings say this is Charles Daly Field, 20 gauge, 3". 5+1. It's for turkey hunting (has a turkey choke) and general kabooms in the yard. Plus it's an extremely light shotgun (compared to the 12 gauge I also got).

Anyone have any tips for anticipation? I find that even though I slow my breathing a bit and follow every tip I've found here I still tend to flinch when I know it's going to boom (no earpro). I also bought a Stevens Browning 620 12 gauge (pics to follow soon).

You guys definitely piqued my interested in guns but no amount of reading or watching videos can even compare to the goddamn fantastic feeling that is actual shooting.

I guess there really isn't a point to this thread, but I'm just so goddamn excited to finally be able to kaboom in my own yard!
>>
File: NEWGUN.jpg (219KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
NEWGUN.jpg
219KB, 864x1536px
Don't you just want to stick your dick in this?
The smell of cordite lingered in the air far longer after I finished shooting.

Also, does anyone have any cleaning tips? I got a cheap-o all gun cleaning kit that has a bunch of Hoppes products in it. Is Hoppes the creme de la creme? Are there better things to clean shotguns with?
>>
>>33852866
Not bad, anon. A 20 gauge will be very pleasant to shoot, and a shotgun is a very flexible. That being the case, it's probably wise to buy a variety of different loads - bird, buck, and slug - and practice with all of them. Figure out what you like shooting. If you want to hunt, Arkansas has an out-of-control wild hog problem, and 20 gauge is a fine gun to go do your civic duty of eradication with. See if you can make some friends locally who will take you along on a hunt.

The real answer to getting comfortable with guns is just to do it a lot until it becomes second nature. So go ahead and blast away!
>>
>>33852866

You literally just described Wisconsin.
Glad you left though. Congrats
>>
>>33852887
Hoppe's is pretty okay, though I prefer less toxic stuff. Invest in a 20 gauge bore snake to make life easier on yourself when it comes to cleaning.
>>
File: IMG_20170503_222914[27].jpg (180KB, 864x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_222914[27].jpg
180KB, 864x1536px
>>33852938
>buy a variety of different loads - bird, buck, and slug

>>33852959
I have a super long rod with a brass cleaning end (I'm still learning terminology). Is a bore snake really that much better?

This 20 gauge is a smooth bore, can you still shoot slugs from a smooth bore?

Also, is there anything I can do about the metal on this Stevens? I took the best pictures I can but it's from a cell phone, so I hope you guys can see it well enough. It's not rusted, just slightly pitted (I think that's the right term?)

More pics to follow.
>>
File: IMG_20170503_222731[31].jpg (284KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_222731[31].jpg
284KB, 1536x864px
This is the Stevens Browning 620. I heard this was a riot gun, not a WW2 trench gun (no heat shield) and that you can hold the trigger down and just pump it to fire.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet because I've only got 3" shells which don't eject all the way, as the flared ends of the shell stop it, leading me to finger out every shell.

I'm hoping getting some 2 3/4 shells tomorrow will stop this problem.
>>
>>33853061
>I have a super long rod with a brass cleaning end (I'm still learning terminology). Is a bore snake really that much better?

A bore snake is like the dark side of the Force. Not stronger - quicker, easier. It makes doing a basic cleaning short and pleasant. I think it's worth the few bucks.

>This 20 gauge is a smooth bore, can you still shoot slugs from a smooth bore?

The way that shotgun slugs work is kind of the opposite of how rifle rounds work. In a rifle, the barrel is rifled and the rounds are smooth. In a shotgun, the barrel is smooth and the rounds are rifled.
>>
File: IMG_20170503_222829[29].jpg (178KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_222829[29].jpg
178KB, 1536x864px
I've also got an issue where I cannot field strip the Stevens as I can't unscrew the magazine tube AT ALL. Not with pliers or anything. Any tips on where to lube this thing or how to unscrew the magazine tube without further damaging the metal? Pic related, the small groves are gripping areas to be able to unscrew it, but it's stuck worse than a tranny cock going into a 12 year old's anus for the first time.

These are my first two guns ever and I really, really want to be able to take care of them properly.
>>
File: IMG_20170503_222744[35].jpg (159KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_222744[35].jpg
159KB, 1536x864px
>>33853137
wrong pic! This is the picture i meant to upload. The lines in front of the pump handle/grip/fore end are where I should be able to unscrew it.

What is the part you pump actually called? Just a pump? I got no manual with this weapon as I bought both of them privately. $250 for both, 3 boxes of 3" 12 gauge 4 shot and a box of 20 gauge bird shot.
>>
>goes from Chicago/Milwaukee suburb to Arkansas boonies
>surprised there's more guns

guess what bud, the whole country is like this when you leave the cities

>>33853126
but many shotguns have actual rifling though
>>
>>33853126
Awesome, going to order one right now. Thanks, anon.

>>33853190
I'm not saying there's more guns (there definitely is, but I was expecting this) what surprised me is that the gun culture is so freakin' lax. When I was in Wisconsin I just assumed that everyone in the country was so uppity and strict about their guns. For example I went on a pheasant hunting trip once at a hunting club and the dog guides that went with you only let you load one shell at a time, no filling up your tube or bringing any shotgun that takes a magazine or has a pistol grip.

The first gun range I went to here I saw a guy with what I'm pretty sure was an illegal sawed-off. The barrel went barely a half an inch past the end of his magazine tube. Plus the guy there shooting a giant ass "Dirty Harry" revolver that you could hear through the glass separating the shop from the range.
>>
>>33853190
>but many shotguns have actual rifling though
Some do, but most don't.
>>
20 gauge can do everything a 12 gauge can do, only not really as well.

I like that it's light and easy recoiling, but only when I'm shooting pheasant and grouse . For turkey, I want more lead on target, for sporting clay, I want more lead, for home defense I want more lead.

Trust me, I have a 20 ga Moss 500 youth model, and It IS comfy, but there are serious limitations.

Nobody gonna go duck hunting with the 20ga fag, thats a truth.
>>
>>33853324
Is 20ga looked down on by the shooting community?

What if I just wanted to use it to shoot clays?
>>
>>33853774
>Is 20ga looked down on by the shooting community?
>What if I just wanted to use it to shoot clays?

Not at all, it's just a bit of a Niche weapon. Works wonders for upland game birds, light and low recoil.

That said, I've taken coyote and ferel pig with 20ga slugs, and was fairly impressed. It's no 12ga 3.5" magnum, but it killed em dead
>>
And it should be said that hog hunting is where it's at in Arkansas. Looks like a lot of fun to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBK_9VRAIFE
>>
>>33853946
It seems to me that the recoil from my 12ga and 20ga aren't that different.

How much does it have to do with the weight? The 12ga is kinda heavy compared to the 20ga, so I'm thinking that the heaviness reduces the recoil of the 12ga while the lightness of the 20ga means more recoil, so it kinda feels the same?

Thanks for answering my QTDDTOT questions!
>>
>>33852866
WHAT? YOU HAVE A NEW STEP SON AND HES A HOMO SO NOW YOURE SHOCKED?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>33852866
>no earpro
get some earpro
>>
>>33854217
Yeah, anon, even those behind-the-ear earplugs like Hickock45 uses would be a good idea, and they're so light you'll barely know they're there.
>>
>>33853774
A 20 gauge is probably a bird gun. Not at all looked down on though
>>
>>33853275

You can get permission from The Man to have short barrels on your shitguns.
>>
>>33852866
>no earpro

Read a description of what life is like for a person with hearing loss, and then reconsider your decision
>>
>>33854293
>>33854237
what do you guys recommend for earpro?
i shoot outside so it isn't that bad, do you think the little disposable ones would do it or should I invest in something that can handle much larger calibers?
>>
>>33854340
If you just want something light, these will do you fine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GDBEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>33854340
The little ear plugs are fine for outdoors. Indoors, I use muffs over plugs. Muffs are only like $12 for a decent pair and plugs are basically free
>>
My LGS has a Beretta a300 synthetic on sale for 600$. Should I pull the trigger and get it? I don't really want to shell out 1k for a Benelli and I've heard a lot of good things about the Beretta.
>>
>living that close to the IL border
Northern WI is like the south but with snow, maybe you shouldn't have lived in a liberal part of the state.
>>
>>33855002
>muh sledz n' gunz

life is good
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.