[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: 1488336292687.jpg (74KB, 480x458px) Image search: [Google]
1488336292687.jpg
74KB, 480x458px
Hey /k/ I was wondering what a good beginners rifle would be? I'm thinking about getting a Mosin, Karabiner, or an SKS. Pretty much looking for a good price ($1000 budget), easy maintenance, good for home protection and sport.

If you have any other suggestions, please list them.
>>
>>33850888

For $1000 you could buy all three listed.
>>
If those are on your list because you have a passion for history and you want to collect milsurp, fine. If they're there because you just want a cheap shooter, then you should look elsewhere. The days when milsurp was the cheap option are over and aren't coming back. And it's not just a matter of the rifles themselves, but of the ammo, which will be much more expensive than a common round like .223 or .308
>>
>>33850968
Just need something to begin with. The goal is to buy the rest after I move to the countryside.
>>
>>33851032
Whats your suggestion then? If not the ones listed, which would you recommend?
>>
>>33851034

What are you doing with it? If you just plan on plinking a 10/22 is an awesome rifle that everyone should own. A lever action .22 can shoot any type of .22 including the super quiet sub sonic ammunition. Its so quiet I can shoot it in my backyard and not disturb the neighbors.
>>
>>33851135
Well just to shoot game, home defense if needed, or just fun shooting.
>>
File: karmslist.jpg (3MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
karmslist.jpg
3MB, 3900x5008px
>>33850888
>Whats your suggestion then? If not the ones listed, which would you recommend?
The standard poorfag options these days include a Ruger 10/22 and a Maverick 88 shotgun. Both are available for about $200. The 10/22 has gentle recoil and uses cheap ammo, so it's good to practice marksmanship and get used to guns with. As for the Maverick, a 12 gauge is great for home protection and will take pretty much any game just fine if hunting is your thing. If you like bolt guns, the Savage Axis II is also a good choice at a decent price.
>>
File: SPPofVg.jpg (34KB, 397x540px) Image search: [Google]
SPPofVg.jpg
34KB, 397x540px
>>33850888
>>
A good first rifle would be a bolt action in 22lr with open sights. After you get good at shooting that get something with some recoil and muzzle blast. A bolt 22 will help you get the fundamentals of shooting down without causing bad habits like flinching, and will get you familiar with handling a firearm.

I've had a few guns over the years and still enjoy shooting my 22 bolt action, they are accurate and easy to shoot. They can also fire a variety of ammo that is entertaining like sub sonics and high velocity shit.
>>
>>33851275
The 10/22 good for stopping any nigs that try to break in? Might hold back on the Maverick 88 until I hit the countryside. Also, thoughts on the .500 magnum? I kind of want to get that for home protection and load it with its 700 grain round.
>>
>>33851365
A .22 bolt action is put on my list then. What should I move onto after that? I'm thinking a .223 or .308
>>
>>33851422
.22 to .308 or .223 to .308
Don't bother getting all 3.

Or get it in 6.5 grendel instead of .308 if you want to be fancy.
>>
Buy a S&W M&P Sport. Get a Glock 19. Buy a cheap holster and mag caddy.

You now have a rifle that's great to learn on and can defend your home with.

You also have a handgun that you can switch to if 30 rounds doesn't do it for you.

Note why the above recommendations are only because of your budget. Otherwise I'd say get a VP9 tactical and either a DD or BCM.
>>
>>33850888
Build a 500$ are from parts.
>>
File: 002-scul.jpg (40KB, 341x454px) Image search: [Google]
002-scul.jpg
40KB, 341x454px
>>33851380
>Also, thoughts on the .500 magnum? I kind of want to get that for home protection and load it with its 700 grain round.
>>
Just get an AR-15
Unless you're a child, recoil wont be an issue. A .22 won't fit your needs as a home defense gun.

An SKS costs as much as a budget ar and is vastly inferior. SKSs were good cheap guns when they were $150. Now that surplus has dried up, they're meme guns.

I appreciate wanting to be different and not be the guy getting another AR but they're solid, reliable, accurate, chesp to buy, cheap to shoot guns.
>>
>>33851380
>The 10/22 good for stopping any nigs that try to break in? Might hold back on the Maverick 88 until I hit the countryside.
It's kind of the opposite. .22lr is adequate for home defense, but far from ideal. A 12 gauge shotgun, on the other hand, is pretty close to an ideal home defense gun.
>>
>>33851422
If you want to possibly hunt a .308 bolt action would be a reasonable choice, they are accurate, will take most game no problem, and .308 is easy to find. For this type of rifle you'd want a good scope and scope mount, that way you can see clearly, and hit consistently at distance. A shit mount might come loose, and a shit scope won't have a clear view down range.

Or you could go ahead and pick up a cheap ar or sks once you get familiar with the 22 bolt. Really anything after that, once you are comfortable handling the 22 bolt rifle, and getting consistent accuracy. Also a good way to learn how to clean your firearm since they are simple. Cleaning and lubricating firearms is an important part of ownership. If you neglect them they will be less reliable and will rust in humid climates quickly.
>>
>>33851484
The way I have it pictured, the .500 for nignogs that try to break in and a smaller caliber for any other race.
>>
>>33851549
Any specific. 308 model?
Are lever actions good for hunting also?
>>
File: battlepac.jpg (172KB, 576x720px) Image search: [Google]
battlepac.jpg
172KB, 576x720px
>>33851516
>>33851467
Guy recommending 22 bolt gun here. These are both solid recommendations as well if you are interested in home protection. The 22 bolt is a good way to get comfy with firearms and they are cheap, fun, and reliable... however they are not useful for protection. They could only be used for hunting squirrels really.

If you want to get the fundamentals of being a riflemen down, start with the 22 bolt and practice, then move on to ARs and Glocks when satisfied you can shoot well.

If you want home protection now and aren't worried about shooting at 500 yards one day you could skip the "basic beginners rifle" and get a cheap AR and Pistol to practice with. Then get a bolt gun and try making tiny groups at distance later.

I started out shooting a single shot 22 bolt when I was a kid, like 6 years old, then moved on to semi auto 22s and .308 bolt guns when I was about 12, also started shooting shotguns at a young age in 20 and 12 gauge. When I was old enough to buy my own shit I got into ARs and AKs. I've noticed I can shoot better than anyone who started out later on the "big boy" guns later in life without getting the basics of marksmanship down. They have lots of bad habits when it comes to accuracy and safety. I think if they were patient and started out like I did with the fundamentals they would be better shooters today. I was lucky as a kid, but anyone could shoot well if they pay attention to whats important early on and build from that foundation.
>>
>>33851523
Well noted. Should I get a pistol to accommodate for the 10/22?
>>
>>33850888
get an ar-15 or a tikka t3 hunter/forest
>>
>>33851724
I don't live in a particularly dangerous neighborhood but I'll take your suggestion. It's the off chance I'm being robbed. Any pistol you recommend to advance too? I'm at a .22 atm
>>
>>33850888
Old milsurp is only for people that like the history or the aesthetic. You might get something newer like the AK-74 or an ar-15. There are also cheap modern guns like the Savage axis. If you really want an old gun people haven't memed as hard about look at some British stuff
>>
>>33851191
it sounds like you want an AR 15
>>
>>33851725
>Well noted. Should I get a pistol to accommodate for the 10/22?
I have a Bersa Firestorm and a Ruger LCR as my handgun inventory. Both are nice guns. The Bersa is a basic handun on a budget. The LCR is really nice - top quality American iron.
>>
>>33851523
>A 12 gauge shotgun, on the other hand, is pretty close to an ideal home defense gun.

>heavy
>long
>low capacity
>easy to induce a malfunction if manually operated

a shotgun isnt really as ideal as you think. an AR-15 is better in just about every scenario
>>
File: CPX-2_BB_3Q-web.jpg (604KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
CPX-2_BB_3Q-web.jpg
604KB, 2000x2000px
>>33851275
The pistol section needs to be updated. Sccy has a pistol out for 249 at most big box stores and they're pretty reliable.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sccy-cpx-2-cb-9mm-pistol#repChildCatid=3493902
>>
>>33851879
>>heavy
>>long

And? It's a home defense gun, not something you're going to be humping the boonies of 'Nam with. If you can't heft a pump shotgun for the five minutes or so that a home defense encounter will last, you might as well just let Tyrone and Jamal kill you because if they don't, your arteries will get you in the next few years anyway.

>>low capacity

Again, we're talking home defense, not combat.

>>easy to induce a malfunction if manually operated

If you're incapable of operating a pump shotgun without fucking it up, then do us all a favor and use one to pull a Cobain so our average national IQ can go up a little.
>>
>>33851945
>The pistol section needs to be updated. Sccy has a pistol out for 249 at most big box stores and they're pretty reliable.
Not to mention the milsurp Polish Makarovs for $220 at J&G
>>
>>33851953
>home defense, not combat

Home defense is, by definition, a form of combat.

If you're shooting somebody, they should be trying to kill you.

If they're not, you shouldn't be shooting them.
>>
>>33852013
>Home defense is, by definition, a form of combat.
This answer is, by definition, a form of autism.
>>
>>33852013
>if they're not, you shouldn't be shooting at them
I'm not a moral man here. If it means saving the next family from a robbery of the same hooligan, then I'm looking to drop him and prevent the hooligan genes from spreading.
>>
>>33850888
Be a man, build an AR and just make it do what you want. It can pretty much be whatever you may need on the civilian market, and has more easily replaceable parts than you could ever need. Plus, if you go with the 5.56/223 round, enjoy 24cent centerfire ammo on any given day (sometimes less).
>>
File: IMG_6531.jpg (437KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6531.jpg
437KB, 768x1024px
>>33851802
You have a 22 pistol and want to know where to go from there? 9mm. It's cheap, plentiful, and has good magazine capacity. Any reputable 9mm in the 500-600 dollar range should be sufficient for target practice and defense. For defense use some good hollow points like Speer gold dot 124 grain plus p or something similar, avoid meme boolits that are basically experimental.

I'm thinking about picking up an FN 509, I've had a Ruger SR9 and it was good, and a few CZs, currently just have a SW Shield, but I want a full-size again. The 509 is pretty much what I'm looking for. Shield is great for carry, but it's small, so may take time getting used to. I had a PF9 and LC9 before I settled on the Shield... it's great for me. Sold my full-sized cause I didn't see the point in having both, but I'll pick one up in the next couple months.

I buy and sell always looking for that perfect gun, keeps me entertained. But I always have a bolt action .308, semi auto center fire, shotgun, a few 22s, and a center fire pistol in the arsenal.

Pic related is the 22 pistol I will never part with. Too damn fun and satisfying to shoot.
>>
>>33852028
>Combat
By the nature of a home invasion scenario being defensive, I choose to err on the side of overwhelming firepower. 30 5.56 >8 12 gauge erryday nigga
>>
>>33850888

AR-15.

Once you have that for easy maintenance, sport and home protection then you can start buying milsurp.
>>
>>33852100
>By the nature of a home invasion scenario being defensive, I choose to err on the side of overwhelming firepower. 30 5.56 >8 12 gauge erryday nigga
For someone whose shot placement sucks so much that they're incapable of hitting a two foot wide human being who's bottled up in a three foot wide hallway and standing ten feet away, I guess.
>>
Op here, thanks for the suggestions guys.
>>
>>33851135
This, pretty much.
>>
>>33851090
not the anon you're replying to, but you can pick up a basic bitch AR for ~$500 with irons. scour your LGS for a few months and you can probably get a good-tier secondhand gun

>PSA has done AR + AK daily deals for $999.99
>>
>>33851380
>thoughts on the .500 magnum?
overkill for Tyrone/Cletus unless you have a feral pack of radioactive niggers/methheads in your neighborhood.
a pretty hefty sidearm if you plan on doing any dangerous game hunting
>>
>>33852320
But it'll work on them right, like prevent them from terrorizing another family?
>>
>>33852366
it'll work right through them and your neighbor 2 houses downrange
>>
>>33852366
So will .25, which has probably done more herd culling of them via cheap Ravens, Lorcins, and Brycos than any other round.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.