[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virginia Class SSN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0859.jpg (202KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0859.jpg
202KB, 1200x800px
Red pill me on the new ssn
>>
its gud
>>
All I see is your mom's dildo.
>>
Why does it look smaller than Ohio class?
>>
>>33850361

...because the Ohio is a ballistic missile submarine and the Virginia is a fast attack submarine? They're not even the same class of ship.
>>
>>33850327
Work on its replacement has already started.
>>
>>33850327
>new
Did you fall out of a time warp from the fucking 1990s? The Virginia class is due for replacement.
>>
File: jimmycarter-on-electic-boat1[1].jpg (3MB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
jimmycarter-on-electic-boat1[1].jpg
3MB, 2700x1800px
>>33850327

God tier SSN. The next block of them will be monsters- replacing the SSGNs.

My current favorite sub is the Jimmy Carter though. The USNs fuckhuge, premier spy sub based off the deadliest submarine design in history, the seawolf class.
>>
>>33850428

The fuck are you talking about? The Virginia Class is currently replacing the Los Angeles class.
>>
>>33850398
Oh, i'm not at all literate when it comes to military machinery so i'd always assumed that all subs are purpose built for the same role
>>
>>33850478
And SSN(X) is already being developed to replace Virginias.
>>
>>33850327
>new

ha, ok. Newest, sure.

It's slow and gay compared to the 688 class.

t. a 688 class submariner
>>
File: WP_20170429_10_06_44_Pro (2).jpg (3MB, 5376x2581px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170429_10_06_44_Pro (2).jpg
3MB, 5376x2581px
>>33850327
It's pretty cool.
>>
>>33850428

They are working on the replacement for the Ohio Class and it will launch within the next decade or so, but the Virginia class are brand new and they are adding upgrades to each purchase.

>operational in 2044

welp, i learned something new. i didn't realize they started developing them this early. I figured we'd still be building improved versions of the virginias into the 2030's. Its pretty wild they start developing a new class of subs 20+ years out just envisioning what kind of tech we'd have available by then.
>>
>>33850502
Why on earth would you think that?
>>
>>33850534

the virginia class is faster than the 688s.
>>
File: RMAO STUPID GWAI RO.png (830KB, 731x598px) Image search: [Google]
RMAO STUPID GWAI RO.png
830KB, 731x598px
>>33850574
sheeeeit. How much does China now know about the Virginia class?
>>
I don't like it so that means it's bad
>>
>>33850597
You really think so, huh?
>>
>>33850591
From my limited, pop-culture sourced knowledge of submarine operations, i thought that all submarines needed to be able to launch torpedos, nuclear missiles, and conduct surveillance. It never crossed my mind that subs can be specialized.

Again, i really don't know shit about military operations so im probably wrong on everything
>>
>>33850632

i'm sure you're an expert. especially since you said the virginia class was 'gayer'. who am i to argue?
>>
>>33850644
Soviet nukesubs carried missiles big enough to hit the US from their home ports. They were mostly on subs at all to keep the US from preemptively targeting them. Typhoons and Ohios are fucking enormous compared to attack subs.
>>
>>33850650
Just because I'm biased doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
File: USS+Michigan[1].jpg (466KB, 1600x1149px) Image search: [Google]
USS+Michigan[1].jpg
466KB, 1600x1149px
>>33850644

They are drastically different. The US Navy has Ohio class ballistic missile subs, with 24 nuclear ICBMs which are part of our nuclear deterrent force.

Then we have the Los Angeles class fast attack subs which are focused on attacking enemy shipping/subs and launching tomahawk strikes.

Then came the Seawolf class which were meant to the fastest, quietest, most powerful fast attack subs in the world. they were massively expensive so with the end of the cold war they cancelled the order at 3, turning one of those into a dedicated spy sub called the jimmy carter (adding in 100 feet of a "special purpose hull" to carry out missions)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Jimmy_Carter

then we used the tech from the Seawolf class and made a more affordable class of attack subs called the Virginia class, these are currently being built to replace older Los Angeles Class attack subs.

Also currently in the works is the Ohio Class Replacement to continue to strategic deterrance role (submarine launched ICBM).

We also currently have 4 SSGN submarines which are converted Ohio Class submarines that are used for surgical strike. They carry 154 vertical launch tomahawk cruise missiles and 2 miniature submarines to deliver special forces (and special berthing onboard the subs to house the special forces).--- Heres a pic of one of those.

If your're interested in the history of US Nuclear Submarine stuff, an awesome book to read is Blind Mans Bluff.
>>
>>33850749
>>33850766
Thank you for the in depth explanation.
>>
>>33850466

The Jimmy Carter is spoopy as fuck. I wonder what kind of shit it gets into.
>>
>>33850885

read Blind Mans Bluff and you can read about a few of the operations its predecessors went on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ivy_Bells
>>
File: 1432363579497.gif (3MB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
1432363579497.gif
3MB, 658x800px
>>33850906

>The Seawolf was almost lost during one of these missions—it was stranded on the bottom after a storm and almost had to use its self-destruct charges to scuttle the ship with her crew

jesus christ

why are Seawolves so unlucky?
>>
>>33850749
>>33850766
Makes me sad that we don't have a dry dock big enough to launch the ORP class at NNS. No Columbia reactor loads for me.
>>
>>33850906

>rebuilt a fucking missile from 2 million pieces
>in the 70's

Jesus Christ. I miss when the US had a truly worthy adversary to do Spoopy shit like that.
>>
>>33851051
Because they are Das Boot
>>
>>33850361
Because it is smaller. Ohios are SSBN so they need an extra compartment to carry the missiles. The Virginia is a SSN so that means just a fast attack. VLS, Torpedo tube launched tomahawks and torpedos.

>>33850327
The virgina class sucks ass. The break constantly. Shoulda just made more seawolfs. They fucking kick ass.
>>
>>33850327
>Red pill me
go back to wherever you came from
>>
>>33850885
Some really scary shit for the guys who work on it. Kinda makes me glad to be on an ohio class.
>>
File: 1466310219398.jpg (153KB, 1346x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1466310219398.jpg
153KB, 1346x1056px
>>33851375
>Although created as a cover story, this mission was actually carried out with great success: U.S. Navy divers recovered all of the SS-N-12 debris, with the largest debris no larger than 6 inches, and a total of more than 2 million pieces. The debris was taken back to the U.S. and the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory reconstructed the AShM based on these pieces, and at least one sample was also reverse engineered.

Who the fuck was autistic enough to do that?
>>
>>33851257

Nowadays I think we just buy the shit using other countries and groups as our proxy. But the Carter no doubt still does stuff like that. Its called the Silent Service not because the subs our silent, but the subs are full of nerds and autists who won't break their silence about what they do. Its interesting to look at mulinational naval exercises, you always see other countries bragging about what their subs did and accomplished and share periscope shots of looking at a carrier or something- US submariners don't talk. You never hear about it. They do a fantastic job of vetting.
>>
>>33851423

They no doubt have unmanned vehicles which can go off and vacuum up the sort of metals they are looking for.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.