[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial Arts Worth Learning?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Sup night /k/. I've got a question. I want to learn a martial art, since I can afford it and have enough free time for it. But is it worth learning for self defense? Assuming I don't want to fire on an unarmed assailant, or I should become engaged in a fist fight, would a martial art be very useful to me? I'm looking at Muay Thai or Judo, since the only Krav Maga they teach in the States are BJJ/Cheap Shot hybrids. If I wanted to learn one, which should I take? Anyone who's experienced's help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also open to being told I'm retarded, if you can provide a valid reason why.
>>
boxing
>>
Judo. I know it's what the marines train with so it must be worth something.
>>
File: 1481785419202.jpg (98KB, 735x735px) Image search: [Google]
1481785419202.jpg
98KB, 735x735px
I would train bjj and regular calisthenics together for a year, then train Thai boxing and regular power lifting for year. Two year beast mode plan.
>>
>>33831460
I doubt you're hard enough for real Muay Thai, where motherfuckers wear down their shinbones to a sharp edge with split bamboo.

Serious advice? Tai Chi. Martial arts are about finding peace within yourself, and no art is better at that than Tai Chi. If you're worried about getting jumped, buy a gun.
>>
>>33831460
Do any full contact combat sport first (boxing, MMA, Muay Thai, kickboxing, kyokushinkai...) or BJJ to toughen up first. At the same time lift and build your physical fitness. After two or three years start some form of military combatives for maximum lethality.
>>
>>33831608
I've been a fat fuck most of my life. Still am, to a degree. But about two months ago I started lifting. I've been going six days a week, and I want something that builds endurance, is challenging, and will make me grow as a person. Plus Ong Bak was epic. Anything I should look for in a gym?
>>
Judo. Or any grappling as long as the school you find is good and does plenty of sparring, and preferably cross training with other schools/gyms. Hit up some force-on-force training after you have some grappling skill, which will integrate weapons, multiple people, de-escelation, knowing when to run, etc.
>>
>>33831575
This guy is a faggot.

Judo, BJJ (no-gi style), Muay thai, Wrestling, Boxing, Combat sambo

depending on what you like
>>
>>33831661
Don't go 6 days a week. I know you're eager to get fit, but depending on how long and intense you make your sessions, this could VERY easily lead to overtraining. Your body requires rest days in order to recover and repair itself. If you don't take rest days between workouts, you WILL hurt yourself and you will NOT make gains.
>>
File: IMG_5675.jpg (144KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5675.jpg
144KB, 500x710px
>worth learning for self defense?

Eh, sort of.
Your most likey never going to use it.

It is more worth it for fitness, fun, friends. Also it is a great test for your mind and body.

We have it to easy.
>>
>>33831460
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
>>
>>33831460
If you want to learn how to defend yourself go with whatever full contact martial art you want like >>33831608 said.

Avoid convoluted techniques and dancing around. It's not practical, it's not applicable outside of sparring and is not going to help you in self defense situation.

Once you get pumped full of adrenaline all that matters is how well can you punch and how well can you take a punch/avoid getting punched. Keep things simple.
>>
>>33831460
My opinion would be to train no gi jiu jitsu followed by boxing. I have trained many martial arts over the years and these two are the ones I've found the most legit/useful. I would stay away from martial arts focused only on the sport aspect as well as martial arts that are too gimmicky or impractical.
>>
>>33833760
Holy gains, I thought I was on /fit/ for a moment
>>
>>33833714
"Muay Thai" as practiced by your favorite MMA fighter is as much Muay Thai as Coors Light is beer.
>>
>>33831460
a black belt cant stop a bullet anon
>>
>>33831460
Do you want to learn to fight?

Learn Krav Maga

Do you want to learn an art?

Learn American Kenpo
>>
>>33831537
Judo is good. learn how to take a fight to the ground and fight /wrestle on the ground. Most people are pretty poor at it and think fighting is sparring with fists. too much tv. Judo is pretty basic and its hella fun workout. You only need to know a few basic throws to be effective but it really comes down to identifying the situation and how best to approach because judo was designed for heavy clothing (getting a good grip on judoki is the most important part of it behind the balance.

TL:DR learn to fite minimum clothing and wrestle on tthe ground.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.