[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ar 15 Build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 1492038765039.gif (2MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492038765039.gif
2MB, 480x480px
So I'm assembling a AR 15 for a small (4 foot 11) female friend, she has no experience with firearms and i do not currently have the ability to get her acquainted with firearms and get information about her shooting style (ei what bad habits she may have, her arm strength etc etc)

I'm thinking a pdw lower with a conversion insert for 9mm magazines and a 9mm upper, but i've never assembled a 9mm lower, so i've been looking up alot of informaiton on pdw stocks...

well long story short, how do you guys build ar for smaller shooters?

ultra light with a properly tuned gas system?(which is what i'm thinking) or what?

picture unrelated.
>>
>>33831024
>properly tuned gas system
>9mm upper
pick one
>>
>>33831024
A blowback 9mm AR will have more recoil than a Gas-Operated 5.56 AR.
>>
File: cx4storm_zoom002.jpg (22KB, 840x256px) Image search: [Google]
cx4storm_zoom002.jpg
22KB, 840x256px
>>33831024
you are making this way too complicated
>>
File: 1491799842972.jpg (481KB, 1200x1027px) Image search: [Google]
1491799842972.jpg
481KB, 1200x1027px
>>33831054
i will likely choose properly tuned 5.56,

>>33831063
thats something i was concerned about as i've never fired a pistol caliber carbine so i didn't know.

keep the feedback coming lads.
>>
>>33831024
Sounds like youre trying to find the solution to a problem nobody ever had. I cant think of a reason to build a 9mm AR over a regular 5.56.
>>
>>33831503
i kinda went off the rails, i'm just trying to think of how to make a lightweight ar with the minimal recoil for a novice shooter who is small, with 9mm i figured, with it being a handgun round, added in teh additional mass of a rifle it would be incredibly light recoiling, but i'm thinking of building a 5.56 with a properly tuned gas system to reduce recoil now instead.
>>
File: Test2.png (95KB, 662x863px) Image search: [Google]
Test2.png
95KB, 662x863px
>>33831024

It's a personal autistic level mission of mine to get as many new people comfortable with shooting as I can, especially those who vote and let them know about some of the bullshit laws that were passed by people who have no understanding of firearms to make it more difficult for them to shoot. You're doing a good thing OP.

With my 5'2" 100 pound girlfriend I learned that there's a bigger difference between caliber and weight than we realise as guys. A glock 19 stings her hands when she shoots and she cant even shoulder a mossberg 500 let alone handle the recoil of birdshot 12 guage, something barely notice for example. However, she can shoot my AR and enjoy it just not hold it for more than a dozen rounds before it gets to heavy (probably a 10 pound gun loaded). It's very important to keep in mind, with shorter arms, weight, especially near the front of the gun makes it a lot harder to keep up and aim.

If you're going to have her get an AR, I don't think you'd be wrong to go with 223 since it is so soft out of a rifle, just make sure it's as light as possible. A 16 inch pencil barrel (she won't go to a range and mag dump her pencil barrel away), magpul plastic fore end, fixed iron sights, adjustable stock, 20 round pmag to make it more weildy, but maybe with a heavier BCG to slow the recoil just slightly. As the other anon brought up 9mm may have more recoil, I have no idea, never looked into 9mm ARs, but 223 would have a nice power advantage.
>>
>>33831024
Honestly, you can't go wrong with a basic bitch AR. They don't recoil, they're light, they're cheap. She would be shooting from bench rest so there's no point in some fantastical ultra light gun.

If they're not an experienced shooter they'd be better off with a .22 rifle or a pistol caliber carbine, a proper one, not a 9mm AR.
>>
>>33831024

Build a .22 AR.
>>
Ruger 10/22
>>
>>33831024
>the paper at the end
It hurts
>>
File: Typical-AR-15-1024x301.jpg (32KB, 1024x301px) Image search: [Google]
Typical-AR-15-1024x301.jpg
32KB, 1024x301px
>>33831727
9mm has more felt recoil in an ar platform than 5.56
just get her a bog standard m4gery, maybe spring for a lightweight or pencil barrel
dont go midlength the extra handgurd is wasted on short people and just makes it heavier. stick with the generic a2 furniture and m4 stock they are really the lightest option without spending 100s if you magpul that shit upp you add half a pund to the gun.
>>
>>33831778

Also, some info that might be helpful to an anon that wants to do gods work and might not know where to start.

Noguns can't, and won't be able to grasp simple concepts no matter how many times you repeat it they'll never be interested enough to retain it. An AR won't be simple to operate so show them the easiest way to do it like not using the bolt catch but rather just the charging handle. Type it out for them, with pictures even, and have them store it with the gun.

Safe muzzle direction is 100% the most important rule. Explain when it's legal to shoot in defense and how to handle a break in. Don't hunt the guy down, instead hide in the corner of your room behind some sort of cover with the rifle braced, aimed at the door, and police on the line.

Have them understand that a magazine may be in the gun but it's impossible for it to go off without being chambered. This is difficult for noguns.

Store the AR with a magazine locked in the magwell, pull on it to ensure it's seated. THE SAFETY WON'T WORK IF IT'S NOT COCKED STOP TRYING TO JAM IT ON SAFE DAMNIT. My roommate fucked his trigger group doing this.

Rack the charging handle as far back as it will go AND LET THE SPRING RETURN IT INTO POSITION DON'T HOLD IT WHILE IT GOES DOWN. Every person I've taught had this issue even after telling them not to. It makes them feel better if you explain that it's natural they wanted to be gentle with your gun but this is the only way to do it. Every time they do this have them check to make sure the bolt is fully closed if they have time. Mark where that's at in sharpie if you have to. If they have any doubts the gun isn't chambered, fuck it, rack the gun again, it's just 1 round in exchange for confidence. If the gun jams, rack it again.

You won't be there to diagnose a problem and they won't know what it is, have them rack it again. If they have issues let them know they can call or text and make sure you use simple words that aren't mechanic or gun jargon.
>>
>>33831024
So far my take away has been

-5.56 platform
-focus the weight more to the rear, balance it further back then i would normally, most likely by using a pencil barrel and lightweight rail system.\
>>
File: Fire_Control_Group_Animation.gif (215KB, 432x446px) Image search: [Google]
Fire_Control_Group_Animation.gif
215KB, 432x446px
>>33831910
>THE SAFETY WON'T WORK IF IT'S NOT COCKED STOP TRYING TO JAM IT ON SAFE DAMNIT

Wait how is this correct? Safety just blocks the movement of the trigger.
>>
>>33832167
Yeah your basic 16 inch pencil barrel AR will probably do just fine, i would say go with a no f/a upper but that's just my personal autism and not really all that relevant.
>>
>>33833198
I take it you've never used an AR before. All ARs and a lot of other guns do that. The bottom lobe of the hammer pushes down on the front of the trigger when it isn't cocked, so the rear part of the trigger interferes with the safety..
>>
>>33833250
Oh shit yeah you're right, having the safety not engage when the hammer is down is preferable to having the safety engage and then just lock up the gun so that you can't pull the bolt back.
>>
Your making this more complicated than it already is
Get her a 995ts with some red ball 20 rounders
>>
Get a good comp. Not too much brake, it can be far too loud (at least was for my 6.8, extreme break!)

Not battle comp, it worked wonders for my SR25 (762) but was very lackluster for 556, orange ball.
>>
Ditch all that meme garbage, just build a basic bitch 5lb rifle with a 14.5" pinned pencil barrel, mft stock, carbon fiber handguard, etc.
>>
>>33833492
>pinned muzzle device
no
>>
>>33833500

I need to cut one off my 6.8 and it's damn expensive, let alone cost of device. Hassle, should do it myself but don't want to fuck it up.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.