[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife/Sheath Care

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: KA1217.jpg (34KB, 600x287px) Image search: [Google]
KA1217.jpg
34KB, 600x287px
Hey, /k/, need some advice.

I'm prepping to hike the Appalachian Trail (inb4 go back to /out/, fuck off, I have dual 4chin citizenship), and I wanted to bring along a KA-BAR my cousin gave to me when he got out of the Marines. Pic related, same type.

My concern is that it's raining in New England and the Eastern Seaboard more often than it's not. I don't want the leather to rot away. What do you recommend for waterproofing a sheath like this? Are there any products I could get away with only applying rarely, so I can cut down on weight/bulk I need to carry with me? And will the blacking on the blade itself be enough that I don't need to worry about if rain gets on it?
>>
>>33824567
You could get a kydex sheath for it if you're that worried. They aren't too costly.
>>
>>33824586
I'm keeping that in mind as a last resort, but I really do like the sheath, and it has a lot of sentimental value. If I CAN bring it with me without destroying it, I want to, y'know?
>>
>>33824567

Rub this all over it and then warm it up with a hair dryer until the leather absorbs it. Repeat until the leather won't absorb anymore. Wipe off the excess.

https://www.amazon.com/Atsko-Sno-Seal-1330-Atsko-Sno-Seal-Original-Waterproofing-7-Ounce/dp/B00CQJDQ90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493665432&sr=8-1&keywords=sno+seal
>>
>>33824610
Considering frequent drizzle - downpours, and shifting temperatures and pressures as I climb mountains, how long can I expect that to last? Would a gas stove's flame be too hot to replace the hair dryer if I need to reapply on the trail?
>>
>>33824567
>Cut down on weight
Ditch the KABAR and get a no.8 opinel.
You don't need an xboxhuge fighting knife on the AT.
>>
>>33824760
I can almost guarantee this would be /out/s reply.....that or get a Mora.
>>
File: minkoilpaste.jpg (417KB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
minkoilpaste.jpg
417KB, 2656x1494px
>>33824685
I'd go with mink oil paste, anon. A small can will last forever and you won't need to reapply often. I have a similar sheath, but use the KABAR 1216 hard plastic sheath instead. It's quality.

Tell your cousin I said he's a faggot. Good luck and be safe on the AT.
>>
>>33824760
>>33824793
sperglords, he is carrying it for sentimental reasons. if you can't keep up with conversation say nothing at all.
>>
>>33824760
>>33824793
It's a fair point, but the fuckhuge knife serves two purposes: a damn good knife I have an attachment to, and a nice way of making sure I don't get my bed, house, and water nicked 3 days out from civilization by someone with bright ideas. It's a little extra weight, but since it's going to be dangling off my belt, I'm not too concerned about that. Some massive can of spray shit or something is what I'm trying to avoid.

>>33824822
I'll refrain from telling him, but I'm sure he'd call you a pussy.

In your experience, does Mink oil waterproof better than the sno-seal? I've seen both recommended, but I cant get a definitive comparison.
>>
>>33824868
I've never used sno-seal, but have used bees wax before. It's fine I guess, but it ages. Like a car or cast iron, you'll have to resurface it periodically.

Mink oil absorbs into the leather, smells nice, is old school as fuck, and you don't need to heat treat it. Just work it in and wipe off the excess.
>>
>>33824905
You had me at no Heat Treat. Fuck yeah, gonna pick some up, then.

Now, as for the blade- I'm not familiar with what KA-BAR uses to black the blade. Will that be enough that I shouldn't need to worry about rust on the blade?
>>
>>33824567
Don't overthink it bro. It's just leather and steel. Keep the steel oiled and the sheath waxed with what other have reccomended.

With KaBars take careful concern for the leather handle too. They tend to rot in sea water according to old WW2 vets.

It's a good knife don't let anyone sell you on a super expensive knife like KaBars are shit but don't ask too much of it. It's Military Grade and that means it's meant to be broken and traded in for another one at any time.
>>
>>33824931
nah, it'll be fine. the black won't rust. the edge might get a speck or two, but that won't kill you or ruin the blade and it comes off with a wipe.
>>
Awesome! So, Mink Oil, and don't worry about oiling the blade... last question, and then I think I'm done with questions /k/ can help me with.

The interior of the sheath, as well as the underside of the strap, and the inside of the belt loop all look untreated. Very rough, and much lighter color. Should I be hitting that up with Mink Oil, too? And if so, what's a good way to apply oil to the inside of the sheath, since my fingers won't be long enough to hit the bottom of the interior up with a cloth.
>>
>>33825048
I would oil the blade. No harm in doing it.
>>
>>33825119
>>33825048
yeh, there's no harm in oiling the blade. just don't use something toxic like remoil if you're going to be using it as a utensil. whatever cooking oil you're using will be fine.

inside the belt loop etc is the rough side of the leather. it'll absorb water more easily than the smooth, so yeh hit it up as well if you want but honestly it will be fine. the leather uppers for army and marine boots are made from it, and they survive (and break in!) slogging through wet stuff.

>oiling inside sheath
dab the tip of the blade with the paste, sheathe, work it a bit. squeeze the sheath up and down like a tube of toothpaste, then roll it back and forth.
>>
>>33824567
Waterproofing spray and rubs that work on boots would work on your sheath as well assuming its real leather.
>>
>>33824567
Use a wax finish, or even just beeswax. Do not use oil, it will soften the sheath and you will fuck it up by inserting the knife. Your sheath will not rot away, that's simply ridiculous. Just keep it in your tent at night and it will be fine. Don't do anything stupid, like try to dry it over a fire.

If you are worried about the blade rusting, just put a dab of lanolin in a plastic bag. It's food safe, and a little goes a long way. Also great for your feet, and any chapped skin.
>>
>>33824586
going on a 5 thousand mile hike, kydex banging sounds

every

single

step.

that will drive you insane.
>>
>>33824567
use Obenauf's if you want to keep the leather. If not buy a afermarket kydex sheath. Don't get the one from Ka-bar, they put something in their sheath that actually dulls the edge when you pull it out. Afaik they haven't fixed it.
>>
Mink oil.
>>
>>33824567
Hiked part of that with my parents when I was a toddler. If they brought anything, it was a simple pocket knife. You don't need that mall ninja shit. Save the weight for something useful.
>>
>>33824931
>Will that be enough that I shouldn't need to worry about rust on the blade
i wouldn't be worried about rust. it cleans up pretty fast and easily with a scotchbrite pad and some soap and water.

A very lightweight rest inhibitor for guns and knives would be TUF-cloth
>https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Solutions-TUF-CLOTH/dp/B017C1W778
it's a dry oil, wipe it on and let it dry. just read the directions. weighs almost nothing.

You may want to learn how to sharpen with small stones. A great field stone is either the Fallkniven DC4 (can sharpen and polish) or a field kit.

2 good field kits are the Lansky turn box
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-2D2C-Diamond-Ceramic-Four/dp/B008EKY5OA
or the Work Sharp field sharpener
https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-WSGFS221-Guided-Field-Sharpener/dp/B009YKHZ96
>>
File: CQv7DUBWEAAhMgR.jpg (47KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
CQv7DUBWEAAhMgR.jpg
47KB, 600x200px
>>33824586
>>33824610
>>33824760
>>33824793
>>33824822
>>33824846
>>33824905
>>33824958
>>33825119
>>33825192
>>33825204
>>33825235
>>33825753
>>33825933
>>33825939
>>33825979
>>33825985

Thank (You) all for your input! I think I have enough info now; Mink oil on the sheath, hit the untreated side, too, and don't worry too much about the blade.

That does it for what I needed. Thanks again, and stay well-armed, /k/ommandos!
>>
>>33824567
Ballistol will let you clean your knife and treat your leather. Best part is you can do food prep with the knife after as ballistol is non-toxic
>>
>>33824567
>Kabar
you have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>33824567
Mink Oil.
>>
>>33824567
I've had good luck rubbing mink oil on mine and other leather stuff. Just bring a very small tin and reapply every week+ depending on how often it rains or how much wear your sheath sees
>>
>>33825753

if it rattles, thats because it was a shit mold. a well molded kydex sheath wont rattle, you autistic faggot.
>>
>>33826390
You're welcome. Report back with a story about the AT.
>>
File: _0015645s.jpg (553KB, 1500x806px) Image search: [Google]
_0015645s.jpg
553KB, 1500x806px
seeing as this is a KaBar thread

I picked this up last summer for camping, what is the black coating and why does it wear off so shittly? I know taking it off completely can leave it open to rust but any suggestions for blade care?

think will it just look better with more use?
>>
>>33824567
Go back to /out/, there is no good advice to be had here; this board has no posters that actually use their gear. Literally /cgl/2.0
>>
>>33829007
/out/ here,
you don't need that compensator, because you're taking only pictures and leaving only footprints, not playing Minecraft irl. Bring your smallest pocket knife. It's all your grandfather ever needed for anything.
>>
>>33829111
What if my grandfather was Daniel Boone?
>>
>>33829160
then you'll need a bigger knife
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.