[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

California Home Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1306.png (1MB, 1049x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1306.png
1MB, 1049x1024px
I'm not a regular poster here, as i frequent /pol/ and /p/, but I've got a situation on my hands. I'm a 19 year old college student who lives and takes care of his widowed mother and senile grandmother. My mother has been noticing a drone flying near our house and windows and watching us for weeks, and has been pretty sketched out. Today, she couldn't find her iPad that my sister and I bought her to distract her after my fathers death with facetime and baby pictures. After using find my iphone, it seems to be located in the apartments behind our house.

We called the cops and they said they were too busy to check it out themselvea, but that if we could locate it using the alarm and find out which house it was in then they can search it. We found which house it was in, a piece of shit apartment with a piece of shit beat up toyota camry out front. However, we're waiting to see if he moves it around or takes it to work to make sure that we have the right house. What I'm mostly worried about is the fact that this guy has been inside my home, and I no longer feel safe. My aunt is a paramedic and from Utah and is moving in with us, and left her Glock-40 here. I also own a machete and a few good knives. I've only shot shotguns, an AK, and a GSG, and went to the range once to shoot a P2 variant. I have no clue how to clear a jam or if reloading and cocking is any different on a glock.

Can you help me with information on operating a glock? If this man breaks into my home again, what can I do? Am i allowed to shoot? Fatally?

I understand dead men tell no tales, and a gallon of thieves blood isn't worth the fucking windex used to clean it up in my opinion. I just don't want to go to jail or pay this guy's hospital bill should he invade my home again when I'm around. Any help is appreciated
>>
>help /k/, I want to murder coloreds, what do?
>>
>>33821143
>assuming that a thief must be colored
Looks like Democrats actually *are* the real racists!
>>
>>33821134
At 19 you're not allowed to legally buy a handgun, but you can buy a shotgun or rifle. A hone defense shotgun is a fine, classic choice. If you're on a budget, a Maverick 88 is a fine choice, and can frequently be found on sale for as low as $180.
>>
>>33821143
I actually have no clue what race he is, but considering he was smart enough to use a drone to scout out victims houses then he's probably white. Really though, I don't give a fuck what color they are, scum is scum.
>>
>>33821173
I am not buying a gun for home defense. My aunt left her Glock here and showed me where it is in case I need to use it for defense. That will do for now.
>>
>>33821179
dont use that glock. your aunt may have left it with you out of her own free will but you obtained it illegally. there are laws for changing ownership in ca and you and your aunt both broke them. if you use it for hd and they run it everyone will get fucked.
>>
According to California law, self defense cases look something like this.

>Can you, and people under your immediate mantle of protection, retreat from the danger with complete certainty that you can do so safely?
Yes
>You are obligated by law to retreat away from the danger
No
>Do you have reasonable reason to believe that the attacker poses an immediately lethal danger to yourself or anyone under your immediate mantle of protection?
Yes
>You may use whatever force you deem necessary to defend yourself or people under your immediate mantle of protection
No
>Lethal force is not authorized.

So in other words, you do have a duty to retreat from danger, but ONLY if you can do so completely safely. You are NOT expected to try to outrun attackers if you do not feel you or someone under your mantle of protection could escape. If you have any shadow of a doubt that you can safely retreat from a situation, you are not obligated to retreat.

You may only use lethal force against a threat that constitutes lethal force or the reasonable threat there of. For example, you hear a bump in the night and decide to investigate with your gun. You discover an intruder, who puts his hands up and surrenders. You may not kill him. However, if he charges you, he poses a reasonable threat against your life because he could take your firearm and turn it against you. Since you are in a confined area and he has a head start in terms of acceleration, a safe retreat is not a realistic option. Therefore, with those factors considered, lethal force in that case is authorized.
>>
>>33821225
Also
>>33821217

It's not your gun, don't use it. California has a handgun registration, each handguns serial number is matched to it's owner. It is against the law to give someone a handgun without having it registered through a California FFL dealer. If you two were living together you could just say "Oh, I picked up her gun just to defend myself" and that would be fine. Saying "Oh, someone gave me this gun" won't fly.
>>
>>33821217
She didn't give me ownership of it, just notified me that it was there. Is there any leniency in this? If I'm in fear of my life, is the proper transfer of a firearm really what should cost me my life? Or should I just say "Fuck, I didn't file the paperwork and the 90 day waiting period to use the only instrument that could protect me right now. Oh well"? That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but then again this is California we're talking about.

>>33821225
I'm not interesting in killing a man unnecessarily, I'd rather detain him and have him sent to jail. But even then I'm worried about retribution afterwards as he knows where I live (clearly). Is detaining a burglar with a firearm considering using lethal force? What is the best thing I can do, and what thresholds would push me towards using lethal force?
>>
>>33821249
theres no leniency hell if shes not a resident of ca shes already broken federal laws not just californias. handguns cannot be sold or transferred across state lines without an ffl. and thats what this is gifting in california is only parent to child everything else requires a ffl. parent to child or child to parent currently requires forms no ffl. if she is a resident there was like a 30 day window for her to register it. might be shorter actually not sure on the details. either way theres no way for you as a 19 year old to legally have it and it will be treated like you bought the gun off the street illegally.
>>
this is really go buy a shotgun for 300 bucks at a store so its in your name time if you want to defend yourself and remaining legal.
>>
>>33821249
First, no it shouldn't stop you from using it if it was really necessary. If you are the victim of a crime and cooperate with police, they will often overlook relatively minor infractions such as that, so long as the gun wasn't reported stolen anyway. For example, I had my home broken into and during their search of the house, the sheriff saw several of my rifles that violated the assault weapon ban, as well as several 30 round magazines. Both deputies who saw the contraband looked the other way, because I was cooperative and hadn't done anything else wrong. Second, it's not hard to do a transfer. Go with your aunt to a gun store, take your handgun safety test, pay the transfer fee, and you'll get your gun after the typical 10 day waiting period. It's harder than most states but it's not that bad.

As to the second half of your question, it really depends on your individual situation. Detaining a burglar is not a use of lethal force, but I also wouldn't admit that way my goal either. You have to say you stumbled across the burglar, not that you left your bedroom with the intent of confronting anyone. You don't want it to sound like you are seeking confrontation, you are simply investigating a noise, and used your firearm to safely de-escalate the situation with the minimum amount of force needed. Cont.
>>
>>33821134
aside from all the other stuff, if you're going to shoot someone, make sure you are the only person that can say what really happened.

>inb4 kill all other witnesses, including your family members, neighbors, first responders.
>>
>>33821278
As for what threshold has to be crossed in order for lethal force to be used, that is very situational. How many attackers are there? Are any armed? What is their current disposition? Are they physically stronger than you? Do they have a superior position in relation to you that makes you defending yourself much harder? All of these factors need to be considered, but generally it can be boiled down to whether you truly had a legitimate fear for your life or not. If you have a legitimate fear for your life, and you cannot absolutely guarantee a safe retreat, lethal force is authorized.
>>
>>33821277
This. Go to Big 5 and pick up a Mossberg Maverick or Rock Island Armory M5 along with a couple boxes of buckshot.

Cheap, effective, and legal. If you can't afford $275-$350 for a gun, you are too poor to be living on your own anyway.
>>
>>33821278
>First, no it shouldn't stop you from using it if it was really necessary. If you are the victim of a crime and cooperate with police, they will often overlook relatively minor infractions such as that

this is true if you have to use what youve got use it but you really should not count of the kindness of law enforcement in california. get your shit in order whether it be transferring that glock or straight up buying a new gun.
>>
>>33821278
>Second, it's not hard to do a transfer. Go with your aunt to a gun store, take your handgun safety test, pay the transfer fee, and you'll get your gun after the typical 10 day waiting period. It's harder than most states but it's not that bad.

Go to the gun store with that illegally imported off-roster handgun, and transfer it to a 19 year old? You're a regular fount of good advice.
>>
>>33821329
>>33821277
>>33821269
>>33821243
Her Glock is not a gift. It is not mine, it will never belong to me. She is gone for a week while she is moving from Utah to here to stay with us. I cannot afford a gun for myself. I'm not trying to have the glock transfered to my name or anything. I'm simply thinking of the scenario that someone has and likely will break into my house again, and what precautions I have to take if that happens.
>>
>>33821143
>implying it's a bad thing
>>
>>33821367
better locks
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.