[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do American troops even have an issues mess kit anymore? And

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

File: 15012_main-01.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
15012_main-01.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
Do American troops even have an issues mess kit anymore?

And what is the best canteen/mess kit combination?

Euro/Commie mess kits are nice and all, but the GI frying pan is luxurious.
>>
Canteen cups
Mre
Mobile Kitchen Trailer and mess tent.
>>
File: th (15).jpg (18KB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
th (15).jpg
18KB, 300x226px
>>33808767

>mobile kitchen trailer

Used pop up camper for a few hundred beats a man portable mess kit?

....I guess its the ultimate bug out bag for a truck.
>>
>>33808736
>Do American troops even have an issues mess kit anymore?

I was never issued one. You eat at the DFAC, get hot As (commonly referred to as hot ass) from the DFAC, or you get MREs. The only time I got hot As in the field and there weren't utensils and flat ware was AIT. MREs come with utensils and for the vast majority of the good primary meals you don't even need to heat them up.
>>
File: soviet-engineering.jpg (64KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
soviet-engineering.jpg
64KB, 750x600px
>>33808994

Oh..

Yea OK.

MREs have replaced mess kits.

However you can't kill and cook animals with an MRE. You eat the MRE and its gone.

What happened to carrying a stove and sterilizing water?!

Are generation X boy scouts better at surviving natures wrath than Marines?

Jesus Christ dude... Pack a damn bento box. At least you can use the box after you eat the food.
>>
>>33809212
If soldiers have to cook and kill rats to survive I can guarantee you they are going to rapidly become ex-soldiers, marauding bands of bandits stealing under the guise of 'forage' or fuck off home to their families regardless of when and where they are. A soldier's job is to fight, logistics is for literally everyone else in the military. In almost no point in history were entire professional armies or even volunteer militias skilled woodsmen, becasue skilled woodsmen are only good at hitting and running, which is fine for occupiers but are easily killed and bred off by colonizers.

Mess kits were for cooking rations, retort pouches and precooked food made that obsolete. Water purification tablets and systems made mass die offs from dysentery obsolete.

I'm sure you jack off to the thought of using a spindle fire to impress people but anywhere from the 1850s to now a soldier would ask why you forgot your matches and why you are too autistic to ask for some.
>>
>>33809212
if you're on patrol than you're stuck with MREs. On base your feeding is up to the sustainment brigade which procures, cooks, and serves the food.
>>
NZ army here, only get Canteen and MREs when we do stuff, if you're with a squad you'll get a flat pot/frying pan.
>>
>>33809330

Any soldier in enemy lands without food is a beggar with less supplies than civilians in the land he's warring against.

>>33809411

A base is a target. A soldier could carry a weeks worth of MREs at best to remain part of a mobile unit. If water can be procured on site, then he could carry months of food and make it last a month more by foraging instead of robbing.

See the difference?

Military wars are not meant to be fought by stealing and murder.
>>
>>33809212
>However you can't kill and cook animals with an MRE.

Okay. The reason why MREs are used is because it reduces the risk of catching some animal borne disease from a local wild animal that has been eating the shit and garbage left around by the locals and MREs provide a calorie dense portable option.

If you were a commander and you had to choose between feeding your combat unit with an available calorie dense, disease free option that did not require additional cooking gear issued on top of 100+ pounds of gear for each individual, or handing out cooking gear and risking the health of your combat troops you would pick the first option.

If you want to say you would pick the latter then you are an idiot and/or come from a shitty and irrelevant conscript military in some third world shit hole.

>What happened to carrying a stove and sterilizing water?!

This can be done even when MREs are issued. They aren't mutually exclusive. In addition to larger FOBs having full DFACs smaller COPs can also have small messes/canteens that allow the unit to cook.

>Are generation X boy scouts better at surviving natures wrath than Marines?

No. Generation X boy scouts also aren't deployed to fix and destroy the enemy.

>>33809330
Also this entire post.
>>
>>33809425

Goddamn....

Doesn't anyone know about dehydrated food?!

I said in >>33809544 one MRE is nothing.

You can carry a week or mores food dehydrated and vacuum packed for every MRE. You want "meals ready to eat" in a warzone? What, you want Burger King airdropped on your position too?! Well, I guess we can do that.

Water is the resource that matters though
>>
>>33809212
When are you going to go hunting on a mission? Why didn't your command plan properly to either issue enough MREs or get a re-supply at some point? How smart is it to have troops wandering around enemy territory looking for rabbits? Mess kits went away because they're obsolete. Take a purification tablet and drop it in the canteen. Or use a pump filter. Innovation marches on. Why bother boiling water? You'll spill most of it trying to pour it into the canteen, and that's assuming GI Joe boiled it long enough or could find something to burn in the first place.

>Pack a damn bento box. At least you can use the box after you eat the food

More shit to carry and you're not cleaning the box well enough to prevent illness if you use it again for food. That's part of why mess kits went away-soldiers couldn't or wouldn't clean them well enough not to get the screeching shits from food poisoning.
>>
>>33809544
>See the difference?

Yes. You're an idiot. No modern military is going to survive AND win without a logistics train. The force projection capability of the US means we do not get dropped off in the middle of nowhere with no log and told "GLHF".

MREs are the smarter and better option.
>>
>>33809544
Any army without a supply line in enemy lands has lost the war. You cannot move an army through anywhere with nothing but the clothes on their backs and some fishing line you stupid shit, historically they foraged this means either buying food or stealing it along the way. What foraging is not is wandering around looking for game when you need to be headed towards strategic positions unless your goal is game land in which case congratulations, you have now been colonized by people who are not nearly as retarded as you and focused solely on killing game for food..

This isn't even /k/ related, this is you crying about 'muh man skills' becasue you never had a father.
>>
>>33809592
>When are you going to go hunting on a mission?

The OP is a fucking moron. He's applying circumstances that would allow for the survival skills of an individual to be relevant to the completely unrelated context of contemporary military operations.

He's 1) an idiot and 2) likely from some shit hole country with conscription where they make the conscripts hunt rats because they're too broke to feed them.
>>
File: 1492999846770.jpg (144KB, 1024x656px) Image search: [Google]
1492999846770.jpg
144KB, 1024x656px
>>33809544
>Military wars are not meant to be fought by stealing and murder.
wars are won with logistics. if your soldiers have to waste their day killing squirrels instead of the enemy, you are losing the war.
>>33809585
>What, you want Burger King airdropped on your position too?! Well, I guess we can do that.
oh, you're from an irrelevant country, and are eternally buttmad that the U.S. Air Force is competent and successful at military airlift.

carry on.
>>
>>33809585
>Doesn't anyone know about dehydrated food?!

Sure. But it's not ready to eat. You need to boil water, which implies you had a source of fuel and the tactical situations dictates you can both start a fire, and wait for water to boil and a meal to rehydrate.

And that's assuming you have the extra water needed to re-hydrate the meal too. Do you know where America has been fighting the last 15 years? Hint, it's not known for water being plentiful.

And how often do soldiers go out for a week or more without some kind of re-supply or even being relieved by another unit that brings it's own supplies?

You sound like the guy a while back who was melting down because we were calling his idea to put a suppressed P90 and passports in an ejection seat stupid.
>>
>>33809585
>Doesn't anyone know about dehydrated food?!

Hey OP, did you just start reading about prepping/survivalism?

Because it sure sounds like you just wanted to talk about the neat things you learned and why you're better than someone else because of them. This makes you a douche and, as demonstrated by this entire thread, a dumb fucking nigger faggot.

You're approaching contemporary military operations from a pre 19th century perspective for some fucking reason. And even then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>33809583

>foodborn illness

Ever heard of cooking fresh meat? Or fresh anything? You can't get sick from it unless you're eating liver for weeks straight. Dude humans can eat anything green and anything alive. It's all fuel for the machine.

If I was a commander I wouldn't want anyone marching with over 100 lbs of gear. What the hell is wrong with you?! You can't be effective in combat with a broken spine!!

I'd prefer dehydrated rations. One MRE can equal ten dehydrated rations. Water is heavy as fuck.

In arid climates there's not much choice, granted I'll choke on that.

>yada yada yada

Don't you even know how Lister bags work? Ever drink pool water to survive or would you prefer drinking piss?

Dumbass ignorant of how warriors lived before bagged lunches...

>>33809592

Dude military units kill animals and eat them all the time. However because we've been lured into a desert, we can't kill a wild animal because its all sand and shit
>>
>>33809330
HOLY SHIT niggas BTFO out of autists kiddies.
>>
>>33809672
>Ever heard of cooking fresh meat? Or fresh anything?

Yes. You're presupposing a supply of fresh meat that both isn't riddled with disease and doesn't belong to locals exists.

>If I was a commander I wouldn't want anyone marching with over 100 lbs of gear.

Then you're a fucking idiot and you would be fired immediately as soon as your CoC found out that you didn't have your guys carrying PPE (body armor, helmet, plates), ammo for their own weapon (150+ rounds), 1-2 belts for the MGs in your weapons squad, a few mortars for the mortar in your weapons squad (if applicable), extra clothing (uniform, but especially under garments and socks), MREs, water, IFAK or CLS bag, frag and smokes, a couple 40mm grenades for the grenadier on their fire team and/or TL depending on unit SOP, wet weather gear, cold weather gear, and the rest of the odds and ends that depend on SOP and mission.
>>
>>33809672
>Dumbass ignorant of how warriors lived before bagged lunches...

Oh I forgot to address this:

>warriors

The military is not made up of individual warriors. A successful military would not be successful if it were dependent entirely on the independent actions of each individual, including procuring food and water.

So no, you're fucking ignorant of how an actual modern military functions.

>Dude military units kill animals and eat them all the time.

Not when they don't have to while deployed you fucking mongoloid. Which for any modern military with force projection and logistical capability is never.

ps: you're a fucking idiot and you should stop posting
>>
>>33809672
Holy shit.

This guy is wrong >>33809664 you aren't even at that level of understanding military organization and supply yet. Hell, you aren't even fucking particularly smart tribal leader level yet. You are pre-writing, fuck you're pre-wheel and beast of burden.

This is amazing, it's like seeing a caveman try and organize his tribe, try to juggle the amount of food he'll need in his head and then give saying 'I can hunt everything' while forgetting if he wants to head of even a group of more than five he needs to lead and not hunt.
>>
>>33809730
Not only that he's ignoring that MREs are designed to be calorie dense so you can fit more calories into less physical space.

Because troops burn a shit load of calories on mission. It would be unrealistic to expect a unit to make up those calories while still performing the mission if they need to scour the land for food.
>>
>>33809676

Haven't you read about the Ww2 sieges?

Boiling leather boots so you could eat them and have enough energy to repel cannibalism?

Fuck you.

Humans can eat grass and hay like livestock. We can eat bugs and call it a delicacy.

I'm a good for nothing farmers grandchild but I've been told the stories and watched enough natural history and history channel. I wasnt even a decade old when I heard about a family dispute over a war token katana brought home by a soldiers knee I rode on playing horse with as a damn baby.

Humans survive and can eat EVERYTHING. I actually saw a man from an island tribe eat a jungle spider on TV because he wanted to show us what his ancestors did to live.

And here this faggot is bitching about nutrition
>>
>>33809747
You're an idiot.

>I'm a good for nothing

You've finally said something that is correct.
>>
>>33809730

Go ahead and educate me. All your post does is reek of shit.

You can't survive in the wild? I am far from a commander and anything but a survivalist but dude once on break from class I found a spearmint plant behind the building and people thought I was stupid and were disgusted when I offered them some leaves. No shit.

However strange enough when I was chewing on cinnamon sprigs to quit smoking everyone wanted a cinnamon stick. Like holy fuck cinnamon sticks. Long hollow wooden tubes. You can satisfy your oral fixation with them and diddle them with your fingers like a cigarette. BUT HOLY HELL everyone I gave a cinnamon stick to spat it out and threw it away because of the bitterness and NOBODY remembered that spearmint plant!

Yea I smoked in school and foraged on break.

You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. Why don't you try leading a stone age tribe to a gold mine and see how frustrated you get.
>>
>>33809747
>bitching about nutrition

It's not 'bitching' when your force is no longer combat effective due to malnutrition like scurvy.

>Humans survive and can eat EVERYTHING

No one has denied that. What we've taken issue with is your autistic insistence that issuing a months worth of Mountain House to a patrol while we're operating in the desert or issuing soldiers mess gear and expecting them to procure sufficient food in theatre, while on operations, and be able to prepare it in a manner that doesn't end up with food poisoning or water-borne illnesses rendering the force combat ineffective.

As other anons have said, logistics win wars. They *ALWAYS* have. Your arguments in this thread have been either the stuff of small, long range patrols of antiquity, an E&E situation, or the failure of someone to plan properly, and not a modern force that's led and provisioned correctly.

No need to get upset about being wrong on this topic.
>>
>>33809827

You type a lot of words that proved me right. Let me break it down for everyone reading...

1- water is heavy
2- food is mostly water
3- we can not under any circumstances carry more water than food

Like, what do these idiots live in, the stone age? They know all about dehydrated water right?

Holy shit we are so cool, man.
Noqw if only we could make an MRE that weighed much leas but needed water....
>>
File: Shit-Be-Gone_thumb.jpg (77KB, 670x502px) Image search: [Google]
Shit-Be-Gone_thumb.jpg
77KB, 670x502px
>>33809888
>proved me right

No, no I didn't. You're still not grasping that dehydrated rations strain already difficult water resupply since troops must either have ready access to water to purify and must purify more to account for the water needed to re-hydrate their space food, or more has to get trucked in or flown to the unit. Which comes with it's own issues. Since we're in the desert now, that option is 2 for most units in most locals.

It doesn't make sense to procure a dehydrated ration for areas with water and one for areas without since that complicates re-supply.
>>
>>33809212
If you want the survival experience, you go special forces. I thought this was obvious.
>>
>>33809929

Dude I'm drunk as fuck and we are arguing over water weight against dehydrated

I can't argue with you now. I'm very drunk. I'm simply saying we can eat food without water but we still need water.

And we don't need to drink a hundred cups of water a day to be healthy, OK?

We just like water with our food. In my case, alcohol too

>>33809951

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH IF MY NATION NEEDED ME THEYD CALL ME

I registered for the draft.
Even though I'm almost legally blind and retarded I registered like everyone else
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 146x146px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 146x146px
>>33809212
> muh hard tack
> muh mushroom ketchup
>>
File: freedom aint free.jpg (47KB, 680x433px) Image search: [Google]
freedom aint free.jpg
47KB, 680x433px
>>33808767
>mobile kitchen trailer
why not just bug out in a food truck?
>>
>>33810892
Don't tempt me anon.
>>
File: 1462637201423.gif (11KB, 210x230px) Image search: [Google]
1462637201423.gif
11KB, 210x230px
>>33809330
>In almost no point in history were entire professional armies or even volunteer militias skilled woodsmen
>volunteer militias

... you may want to rethink that statement for a minute, man.
>>
>>33811317
Most were farmers and townsmen, the myths surrounding the Continental army that did most of the heavy lifting could fill books and have but fuck heads like you never read them
>>
>>33811528
Most men of that time knew how to live ij the woods and many others were frontier or woodsman. Stop being such a brittle cunt because you are talking out your sparkling button asshole.
>>
>>33808736
>Do American troops even have an issues mess kit anymore?

No, they are issued microwaves and there is a McDonalds food truck that follow the troops. Can't be without that Whopper and fries
>>
>>33809583
>Okay. The reason why MREs are used is because it reduces the risk of catching some animal borne disease from a local wild animal that has been eating the shit and garbage left around by the locals and MREs provide a calorie dense portable option.

And you never know if that goat made it into a charm dump.
>>
>>33812109
We used to do bag drop offs at the gate of the jrtc grounds and exchange bags of burgerking like drug dealers
>>
>>33812109
But Burger King does the Whopper.
>>
>>33812132
in the military they do.
>>
File: 1000w_q95[1].jpg (225KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1000w_q95[1].jpg
225KB, 1000x666px
>>33808797
>>
>>33809330
Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUHi3ZV4r0
>>
File: sw_3.jpg (124KB, 1024x691px) Image search: [Google]
sw_3.jpg
124KB, 1024x691px
>>33809330
> living off the land
>>
File: download (8).jpg (9KB, 275x184px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
9KB, 275x184px
>>33808736
The Czech mess kit is GOAT. I actually just use the pots to supplement my cookware in my home kitchen. Nobody would want the USGI set supplementing their home kitchen, it's damn useless except for frying shit.
>>
>>33809809

This whole post is hilarious.

It's really good bait. Good job OP.
>>
>>33810181
>And we don't need to drink a hundred cups of water a day to be healthy, OK?
>We just like water with our food.

Lol you must be fucking drunk if you think human beans don't require water, we just "like it".
>>
>>33812120
>And you never know if that goat made it into a charm dump.

This turns the goat into a GBIED.
>>
>>33808736
WW2 steel canteen, steel cup, "stove" in pouch. STEEL frying pan and lid with utensils. You can cook anything with it.
>>
>>33809929
If you don't have enough water you can always eat them dry.
>>
>>33813364
Someone was selling one of these on Craigslist a few years back, only wanted $8,000.
>>
>>33814303

USGI canteens, cups and mess kits are aluminum, not steel.
>>
>>33814342
Bad fucking idea, some guy did that during basic and had stomach cramps for a week.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.