[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GUN DESIGN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

File: 1493525633804.jpg (337KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1493525633804.jpg
337KB, 1024x576px
why is this not more common? Barrel of gun in the butt....
More efficient use of space right?
>>
>>33808137
that's a pretty good idea anon.

Go tweet trump with a quick sketch of the design!
>>
>>33808137
bullpups still a shit

fuck u op u faggot
>>
>>33808137
Shit ergonomics. A good design should let you change magazines and load your rifle without losing sight of your target.
>>
>>33808657
>t. never held a bullpup
>>
File: FAMAS-F1.jpg (34KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
FAMAS-F1.jpg
34KB, 800x531px
>>33808668
I have, I was commenting on the magazine placement in OP's pic. They're not awful but people like features like adjustable stocks, left handed shooting and such.

Mechanically, it makes more sense to have the trigger closer to the hammer and bolt and I suspect a lot of Bullpup have shitty triggers because of their specific layout.

It took hundreds of years to refine ergonomics to make guns that look like what they do today. Bullpups are more compact than traditional designs but space is not enough of an issue for most shooters to overcome the initial awkwardness of their ergonomics.
>>
>>33808836

is that an AUG?
>>
File: gun comparison.png (1MB, 1000x3566px) Image search: [Google]
gun comparison.png
1MB, 1000x3566px
Looks like a good place to post >pic related

Something I've been working on for a few days, basically looking at and comparing different self-loading rifle designs from the perspective of if you had to outfit your own militia or paramilitary in some underground gunshop in the dark days of communist Britstralian rule.

I tried to cover a decent range of designs and give them a rough rating.

Be gentle with any criticism, plz.
>>
File: IMG_9013.jpg (12KB, 375x134px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9013.jpg
12KB, 375x134px
>>33808137
>how do bullpup AR?
Bushmaster M17S
>>
A couple examples of shenanigans due to having trigger mounted in a forward position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmYUoG9S-y4#t=1542

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrZHa15OMHk#t=120
>>
File: inverted locking lugs.jpg (266KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
inverted locking lugs.jpg
266KB, 1920x1080px
>>33809073
Also, one real source of difficulty that I can see is the manufacturing of the locking lugs common on many designs, but especially milling out the chamber recesses for them.

One idea I had was inverting the locking mechanism, so have the outside of the chamber lock into a sleeve over the end of the bolt. Then you don't have to run the risk of fucking up the chamber, the sleeve could be a separate piece to the bolt that screws or clamps on, and even the lugs could be a separate sleeve that screws onto the end of the chamber.
>>
>>33808970
Are you retarded?
>>
>barrel of gun in the butt
i think OP knows our secret /k/
>>
>>33809456
butt gun is best gun
>>
>>33808970
It's a FAMAS you spaßtic
>>
>>33809969
Viel spaßtic?
>>
There are a few problems with bullpups.

-Balance issues, most of the weight of a bullpup is in the rear and not in the middle.

-Safety issues, what if you fire a cartridge where the powder is replaced with explosives? The chamber is right next to your face.

-Weight, while on paper bullpups should weigh less than your ordinary rifle since you are basically just removing the stock and adding trigger linkages but this hasn't really been the case in any bullpup designs, they weigh a bit more than contemporary rifles.

-Ergonomics, in traditional rifles the magazine is within your field of view, it is right there in front of you, with bullpups the magazine is almost in your armpit, you have to turn your head to see the magazine, also, in a lot of the earlier bullpup designs the controls were in non-optimal places, this has been fixed in a lot of the more modern designs. A lot of bullpups have an ejection pattern that makes left handed use without modifying the gun very hard, can be fixed through design choices like forwards or downwards ejection.

Pic related, imo a fairly well executed ak bullpup.
>>
>>33809073
Honestly if you're going to arm a force with some garage built guns you might as well either come up with your own design of use a design that is actually meant for garage building.
>>
>>33811194
That's why I called it "Garage Gunspiration" because it's to give an overview of what's been built before and what works. I wasn't suggesting making an exact or even close copy, as I said in the image it's just about the design of the working parts.

Most designs strictly aimed at garage gunsmithing, like the Luty or Prof. Parabellum stuff are designed around lower pressure cartridges, very few designs are intended to build something like an assault or battle rifle, because of the risks and added difficulty associated with higher pressure cartridges.

Plus, a couple of the ones listed (Gustloff and T2) were designed for relatively rudimentary, albeit commercial workshops.

Others that are really well-documented (like the Mini 14) are more practical to build now than before, because you could print off a 3D model of some of the parts, then use that plastic model to create an investment cast out of an appropriate aluminium alloy.
>>
>>33811149
>Safety issues, what if you fire a cartridge where the powder is replaced with explosives? The chamber is right next to your face.
Never happened and never gonna happen.
>>
>>33811363
Mixing explosives with the enemy's gunpowder has been a known trick for ages. Sure it might not happen to a western power where logistics are very well organized but western powers are not the only ones using firearms.
>>
>>33809443
>falling for b8
>>
>>33808137
>>
>>33811363
Anon might be retarded for thinking that a gun's action will only blow up because some jackass mixed explosives into the propellant but he has a point about the dangers of having the gun's action right below your face.

While rare, guns can have their actions blow up either from bad ammo, putting .300 AAC in a 5.56 chamber, or simply being defective. In cases with tradtional patterns like the AR-15 people normally get away with minor injuries as the action is located away from the head in front, and they often blow out to the side away from the shooter. But in a bull pup design you put your cheek right on top of the action, so if an admittedly rare catastrophic failure was to happen there is a greater risk of injury.

>>33811602
you do realize that ammo these days is made in factories with qc testing, and that once a cartridge is made you can't exactly swap out the gunpowder for something else without the tampering being obvious. I could see that happening back when units stored black powder in wooden kegs and powder horns but now that ammo is made in sealed cartridges and shipped to the front in packaging, thats really not a concern.
>>
>>33813288
i think anon is talking about project eldest son, were US spec ops put HE in VC ammo
>>
>>33813356
from what I understand that was them leaving bad ammo for the vc to find, rather than sneaking in and secretly replacing all of the gunpowder with HE. Its certainly a threat but that has more to do with properly training and equipping your men rather than an inherit shortcoming of the bull pup design. He has a point about the action being right by your face though.
>>
File: tkb022_schematics.jpg (105KB, 1218x694px) Image search: [Google]
tkb022_schematics.jpg
105KB, 1218x694px
because it's complicated >>33813131
>>
File: img79bc3a20zik6zj.jpg (80KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
img79bc3a20zik6zj.jpg
80KB, 500x536px
>>33813497
damm anon where did you get this? Got some other pics? a video of this being shot maybe?
>>
>>33813442
Well yeah and? That kinda stuff like the project eldest son were exactly what i was talking about.
>>
>>33813442
Ammo is bomb!
>>
They also left behind full mags with 1 or so tampered with rounds crates with 82mm mortar rounds meant to go off in the tube the program worked great and in testing AK type weapons with them they found the reciever would blow back into the person's head so I don't think the face being away from a bullpup is a logical argument
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.