[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

8mm Woes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: DSCF3960.jpg (4MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3960.jpg
4MB, 4288x3216px
My K98 is pretty knitpicky it would seem
Won't fire new romainian 8mm without it getting the case stuck in the chamber, turkish enters just fine hard to eject, old german 8mm from '36 is dented as it moves into the chamber rendering it useless. But all of my S&B is just perfect all around, but some of my handloads go in hard I only use the S&B brass for the handloads.
What is the cause of this /k/?
>>
>>33800897
Dented german and rendered useless?... How so?...

Your chamber is fucked up if this is what the issue is. romanian bimetal expands a bit but less than brass so idk what to tell you. Take a 20ga brass brush from some cleaning kit you bought years ago and; because no-one fucking uses the 20ga brass brush, and check that shit with a light and scrub it out.

If pic related is yours then it should still be good to go as a reproduction... Check your chamber.
>>
>>33800897
New steel case Romanian 8mm is out of spec nigga, Avoid that shit. Also just to be safe you might want to get a 22lb bolt spring to replace the on you have.
>>
File: Cleaning.jpg (82KB, 667x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cleaning.jpg
82KB, 667x960px
>>33800935
I shot roughly ten old german shells and upon loading the shells the case went in real hard and I reefed on it to pull it back out due to fears that if I fire it I may have a really bad stuck case and the case had 2 long rectangular dents going down the walls of the case
>>
>>33800957
Any pictures? Seriously sounds like you have chamber burrs or some kind of rust keeping the round from properly seating.
>>33800955
What? since when. I've been shooting it for years out of multiple mausers and never had a problem or noticed anything weird.

Also OP turkish is kind of shit.
>>
>>33800897
I know it's expensive, but have you tried PPU?
>>
>>33800973
>What? since when
Honestly I dont know, My Gew 98 loves the stuff but I have seen plenty of other Mausers not eat that shit
>Turkish is shit
wat
>>
>>33800996
Turkish is known to vary a shit load in grain count, brass quality and straight up bullet weight. Every ruptured or cracked casing i've had has been turkish.

>romanian is shit because i said so
>turkish isnt shit because i said so
Well idk, i've shot thousands of rounds through multiple mausers and in my experience turkish is shit, romanian is gold.
>>
File: Picky Erika.jpg (316KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Picky Erika.jpg
316KB, 1280x1024px
Here is a picture of the German 8mm Brass
>>
>>33800975
PPU is actually rather inexpensive at only being $14 a box but I can never get it in stock at my cousin's store so I opt with the $19-21 S&B rounds
>>
>>33801032
That is fine to shoot. If anything it shows you where you should be looking in your chamber to see any kind of burr or disruption.
>>
>>33801051
This. But OP if what you said is true it will probably be hard to extract as brass expands a good amount.

Check your chamber. Sounds like you've got something in there causing all of these problems.
>>
File: 1474245386133.jpg (82KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474245386133.jpg
82KB, 800x1200px
>>33801105
Alright that seems to be the general consensus I'll clean that bitch out with a shotgun brush and update soon the next time I try some ammo out
>>
>>33801111
It shouldn't be a problem. Have you shot other milsurp rifles to get an idea of how hard the action needs to be worked? It's usually pretty rough.
That being said with the dent and extraction issue it is definitely an issue with your chamber.

Seriously check it out with a flashlight or by sticking your pinky in there. It should be completely smooth so if you feel a burr or any kind of debris put that copper brush to it.
It's important to not get invasive with it with a harder metal than the chamber so stick to brass, no steel.
>>
File: DSCF4006.jpg (4MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4006.jpg
4MB, 4288x3216px
>>33801194
The milsurps I've shot with are my two mosins and well they are mosins not the best actions ever made and I've got a swede mauser that is pure sex and is perfect in every way loading and unloading
>>
>>33800897
>old german 8mm from '36
That ammo is pretty collectable. And have others said, the new Romanian made ammo is a shit.
>>
>>33801265
Definitely a burr in the chamber either from a broken casing long-ago or a spot of rust. Don't just assume that when you buy a rifle it's in working order; i purchased two yugo mausers a while ago and both their firing pins were broken. I didn't even notice because it was such a basic thing to look at.

Give it a good reaming with a bit of oil and see what comes out on the brush.
It is extremely important that you then make sure there is no oil in the chamber or first bit of the barrel.

Again, make sure there is no oil in the chamber left over from cleaning it up. I don't think i have to tell you how much of a problem that could be under pressure. ka-boom.
>>
>>33801289
Not op but seriously what? I've probably shot 7-12 spamcans of romanian through 5 different mausers and never had an issue. Where does this come from?
>>
>>33801323
The spamcans are Romanian surplus, not the commercial shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.