[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best trap shotgun under $1000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I'm moving to an area that has no rifle or pistol ranges nearby but does have a very good sporting clays facility. I've shot trap before and enjoyed it but I was using either a borrowed 870 or my own Benelli Nova 28". Neither are really suited for clays. I'm not plannig on shooting competitively and I'm still pretty shitty at the sport so I don't want to spend more than $1000.

I've no problem with buying used, in fact it would be great if I can get something old enough to buy with my C&R FFL. I would prefer an over under.
>>
>>33786198
I'd look at a CZ over/under. If I ever got another shotgun that wasn't specifically for home defense, that's what I'd get. You can get a new one for like ~$625-650 I think.

If you can snag an old Remington 1100 from like 1990 or prior that'd be sweet too.
>>
File: CONSTANTINOPLE.jpg (73KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
CONSTANTINOPLE.jpg
73KB, 500x370px
>>33787374
I was seriously considering the CZ O/U's but I did some googling and it looked like they are made in Turkey by Huglu, and CZ just markets them.

The conclusion was they are very hit and miss, decent build quality but very spotty quality control. I guess I could find a good one but that worried me.
>>
>>33787374
Stay away from any nib o/u less than $1k. I work at a trap range and those are usually shit.

>>33786198
Either a used citori or save up for a Beretta a400 xcel if you are willing. If you are sticking to your budget strictly, anything in the benelli/Beretta family or a Browning will do
>>
>>33787473
I like the Browning Auto 5 and I can get an older one for like $600. Your thoughts?
>>
>>33787473
>Stay away from any nib o/u less than $1k. I work at a trap range and those are usually shit.

How can an O/U be this impossible to make a utilitarian version of? In almost any other category of gun, 1k is enough to get you full utility and then some.

>$600 pistol
Gets you a fully capable pistol for duty carry or personal defense
>$600 AR
Gets you the ability to put a 5.56mm hole in something with every pull of the trigger
>$600 Rifle
Gets you something that can remove bambi at practical hunting distances, optics not included
>$600 Pump action shotgun
Gets you into some higher quality models, or a budget model with a retarded heap of accessories
>$600 Milsurp
Gets you something not super collectible, but better than a nugget
>$600 O/U
Gets you a warm, slightly moist turd. May or may not come with maggots.
>>
>>33787596
It's probably a combination of the sheer volume of rounds sporting clays shooters put down range combined with snobbery. Also the fact the shit like balance and ergonomics is really important in an O/U, while people will tolerate all sorts of fuckery in a pistol or rifle because they don't shoot that often, and when they do it's at stationary targets.
>>
>>33787572
The a5s are nice and simple, just make sure it doesn't have the retarded looking barrel muzzle device, if it fits you, I'd go for it, maybe shoot a couple rounds with it if the seller allows it. If not, find something that really fits you. It's just something you need to "feel" is right in your gut.

In the meantime, keep using your Nova and focus on the fundamentals. A gun doesn't make the shooter, and if your scores are shit with the Nova they'll just be slightly less shit with the new gun. Make sure you're using the right chokes, following clays accordingly, finding your eye dominance, and developing the instinct to break clay without thinking about it. Make sure you fit your gun to you, cheek riser, hi viz sight, and adjusting your stock are a good start. Lemme tell you a story. There's a regular who always comes in with a benelli supersport, gucci'd to shit and absolutely beautiful desu. But he can't shoot to save his life, and on a good day breaks 15 clays. Tried telling him the same thing but he brushed me off with his fuck-you-money. He only started listening when some country hick outshot him with a cheap Mossberg. Then he went back to the fundamental drawing board.

>>33787596
It's really hard to get two barrels to hit the same spot without good qc, good qc costs money
>>
>>33787651
I am working at improving. I shot four rounds today, which would make my total lifetime rounds of trap right around eight. I broke 23/25 clays on this first round, then got a little fatigued. I think I ended up at about 65/100 for the day.
>>
>>33787632
>It's probably a combination of the sheer volume of rounds sporting clays shooters put down range combined with snobbery.

A round of trap is only 25 shots, isn't it? If I were, hypothetically speaking, someone who doesn't have a multi-million dollar estate and servants to load a constant stream of clays for endless afternoons of non-stop trap shooting, would something like a Stoeger work just fine for occasional use?

Would I be better off getting a pump?
>>
>>33787707
It's part fatigue, part overthinking. When you over think you overcompensate, when you overcompensate you miss. Fixing fundamentals is like fighting a hydra, you fix one problem and two more pop up. But once you iron those out and develop an instinct instead of an aim, you'll consistently get 23-25s. 23 is pretty good for your first round, whatever you were doing was working, but then you fucked it up. One trick most people do if their eye dominance matches their hand dominance, is shooting with both eyes open, gives you more peripheral and makes you think less. Also get a good sight-in before every shot. Shoulder it aiming at the sky, get your cheek bone firmly planted, and bring it down to the trap house. You'll get there buddy.

>>33787723
The stoegers are fucking workhorses, and for casual use are just fine. Owned by the benelli family and uses the same inertia system. Only downside is it's turkshit, so however you feel about that. Be sure you break it in with 100 rounds of buck so it cycles target loads reliably
>>
>>33786198
If turkey shoot style, Winchester model 370/37 single shot. I've got one and my family tells stories of how it was far superior to the semi-autos and pumps of its day. I do well with it personally.
>>
>>33787768
>The stoegers are fucking workhorses, and for casual use are just fine. Owned by the benelli family and uses the same inertia system. Only downside is it's turkshit, so however you feel about that. Be sure you break it in with 100 rounds of buck so it cycles target loads reliably

I meant their double barrels, though I suppose I could look at their semis too.

I have to admit to something of an O/U fetish though, despite the snobbery associated with them.
>>
>>33787875
I still abide by any o/u <$1k=shit
Get a used citori
>>
>>33787768
I've shot trap about 4 times in my life with an 870 and never scored over 5/25 im retarded right
>>
>>33787991
hows the 870 set up? I shotgun set up for home defense is generally going to do poorly at target shooting.
>>
>>33787991
There's a number of factors that can be throwing your shot off, try going on a popular day and ask any of the old people for help.
What >>33788058 said is also important. Security barrels have fixed cylinder chokes and swing too easily. Make sure you have your gun setup first, then get your fundamentals down.
>>
>>33788140
26 or 28" with improved cyl choke
>>
>>33788173
That's probably your problem. Use a modified for 16yd, full choke for handicap
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.