[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US army combat medic here fresh out of AIT. I just arrived to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: combat medicine.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
combat medicine.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
US army combat medic here fresh out of AIT. I just arrived to my unit and talked to some of the medics who have been in the army for quite some time. They asked me if I've been researching stuff on my my own and when I said no they looked at me like I was a piece of shit. I completely understand why so I tried today to look up online forums and books to study but I can't really find anything relevant to what I'm going to be doing. I purchased the ranger medic handbook which I intend to study when it ships. Are there any medic fags with experience that can recommend me some articles to read or websites I can use to study on my freetime? thanks in advance
>>
>>33783680
I'm not a combat medic, but the two things that stick out in my mind would be:

1) read as many books as you can that discuss the effect of gunshots on the body. Massad Ayoob has several well regarded ones.

2) Study human anatomy in general. There are probably classic books on these topics that would be used in medical school. Google could probably help you identify them. Find what's considered "the standard" and study it.

3) Many military manuals discuss emergency procedures. I know the "SAS Survival Handbook" does; I would assume there are other similar works.

4) Check out training for related fields. I would imagine there are books/manuals for EMTs that would probably have a lot overlap for a combat medic.

5) Study up on your tools. Things like clotting agents, tourniquets, etc. Who makes the best ones? Why? What makes one better than another? Companies are constantly making new products in these fields so it would make sense for you to know about them.
>>
>>33783680
totally not a medic
learn:
>STIs know them. learn them. love them. your charges will provide you with plunty of examples.

>nutrition.

>feet.
>>
File: 1469769733983.jpg (37KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469769733983.jpg
37KB, 562x600px
>>33783961
>studying emergency cool guy stuff and gearfaggotry
>while not studying STDs, heat casualties, dehydration, alcohol poisoning, synthetic marijuana/cocaine intoxication, and other shit that will be way more common in a bored, testosterone-ridden peacetime military than gunshot wounds.
>>
>>33784066
dont forget about rectal trauma and rape kits! for when pvt fuck stick decides to take action about being a shitty incel.
>>
>>33784030
I was going to say the exact same thing. Emergency response is important but most of the daily stuff will probably be this.
>>
>>33783680
Hey OP, corpsman here.
I'd just recommend learning most about foot care, STIs, heat casualties, and also how to take care of your guys post hospital care. At least I noticed that a lot of muhreens who have minor surgeries will not follow their discharge instructions well.
That and being able to start IVs well.
>>
>>33783680
This is the wrong place to come to, soldier medic. Use the references, not the advice.

t. Doc
>>
>>33784309
hows all the book lernen treating you. are you planning on helping people or covering ass
>>
>>33783680
Trauma medicine isn't that hard compared to sports medicine and nutrition. Properly dealing with sports injuries and inflammation is difficult because there is a lot of misinformation out there, there is especially a lot of misinformation with nutrition.
Gymnastics and dance tend to handle sports injuries and rehab the best. Look into gymnastics rehab and you'll find a lot of mobility stuff that will keep your guys from getting injured in the first place if they do what you recommend.
>>
>>33783680
>>33783680
Buy the updated SF Medical Manual through the US Gov Printing Office, read the updated Ranger Medic Manual as well. Be humble and have an open mind. Talk to the Battalion PA and Surgeon about each case you screen at sick call. Learn basic Pharm and all the meds that you work with, inside and out. Read, study, ask questions, repeat on top of what >>33784288 said, I have been a medic for 13 years and about to get out. I have a wealth of knowledge and willing to share.
>>
IVs
Wound care from infected cuts to GSWs and field amputations
Meds. Pain, antibiotics, and everything else.
>>
>>33784771
what other books should i get?
>>
I'm guessing you're not a line medic. I wouldn't worry so much, you'll pick up a lot as you go. A lot of medics that worked in a clinic had a superiority complex because they worked with a PA.

Anyway, if you ever have the chance, BCT3 is the best medical training that you will ever do with your unit.
>>
Florida Medic in the process of finishing AS degree
before taking the ACASP into 68W
Any words of advice? Wanting Line medic and field time.
>>
Alcohol, dehydration and heat exhaustion all go hand in hand.

Start an IV (suggest ringers if available), give magnesium, B1, Vit C, Oral potassium.

Be wary of rehydrating too fast, or boosting electolytes too fast.

Wound aftercare is simple, you gotta make those fuckers actually use the triple antibiotic.

Sprains and strains... dont just give 800 motrin and move on, thats a cop out. Inflamation is a fine line, read sports medicine because you need to manage, but not totally eliminate it. Getting low impact mobility work will get them fixed faster. Ankles are a problem, toe raises on a foam mat is really helpful

FEET... good god....

STI....same
>>
>>33787125
>Sprains and strains... dont just give 800 motrin and move on, thats a cop out. Inflamation is a fine line, read sports medicine because you need to manage, but not totally eliminate it. Getting low impact mobility work will get them fixed faster. Ankles are a problem, toe raises on a foam mat is really helpful

Just gotta follow RICE
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
>>
>>33783680
Make sure to practice proper reanimation procedures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMw9e-IkF0s
>>
>>33783680
Shit boi what company you graduate from? Charlie?
>>
>>33786963
If you want a line medic slot, concentrate on your soldier skills. Line units are impressed by high pt and weapons qualification. It depends on the unit, though. In mine, we had a ton of medics, so you had to stand out. Don't have a medic mentality. I was never a fan of medics because they pull the "I'm a medic, that's not my job." Some are pieces of shit that sit in an air conditioned clinic all day. Learn the job of the line unit, whether it be scout, infantry, engineer, or whatever. That's how you impress them, when you can teach infantry privates how to do their job.

In your situation it may not matter, but always know what to do medically because you don't want your soldiers thinking you don't know shit when it counts.
>>
>Combat Medic
>Fresh out of AIT

Pick one.
>>
>>33786226
Paramedic student here. PHTLS military is a good book for trauma. AMLS is the king of prehospital medical emergency books. Know your cardiac, respiratory and renal physiology and disease process. Know your drugs inside and out. What are the drugs you can give? What are the label and off label uses? How do you do a drip rate without a calculator? And don't you dare give me titrate to effect. Know the boo and ouchie stuff, hangover cures, sti.
On a related note, what drugs do you carry?
>>33786963
I am also working on my AS degree as a Florida medic. What school?
>>
>>33783680
oh cool an army medic

What are some good ways for preventing someone from going full private pyle? like say a soldier finally just reaches a breaking point whats a good way to throw them back into reality?
>>
>>33787762
Not OP, but I'd imagine recognizing it and heading it off early would probably be the best way.
>>
>>33787712
Easy, Lorne. Dude was just advising his MOS, and if he had left out the word combat some other POS along your line but canted through ninety degrees would have pedantically informed us "um the MOS is COMBAT medic not just MEDIC how dare you disrespect the military's hallowed titles" or some such fiddlefaddle bullshit. Dude sounds reasonably aware of the fact that he is basically tiger's waste third class based on his disclosure of fresh AF status and letting on that hey, he hasn't been doing independent research.

>halp I'm OP what do

OP, folks earlier in the thread have already covered specifics. I'm just going to emphasise that both soldiery and medicine are lifelong skills - you will never know it all, so never stop boning up on the good shit. Shit like stacking up to bang and clear is pretty refined at this point and unlikely to change much any time, but weird little nitty-gritty nut-and-bolt pieces can change any combination of frequently, unexpectedly, and in weird directions nobody in the field expected. Just look at CPR. "Oh, turns out blowing new O2 into the system is less important than circulating." Download the napalm, load AP, frig the frag, etc.

The other thing is never be afraid to ask for help or admit you don't know something. Part of your job is to know things, and another part of your job is to give best estimates - educated guesses. But if you REALLY don't know, and your i/c or whoever the fuck insists on a best guess anyway, you can give them a piece of info to action with the caveat that you really don't know any better than they do. If it's humans on the other team, think what you might do if you were them. If it's environmental, you're screwed - but remember, your job isn't to lie or make shit up, no matter how much some asshole tells you he needs answers.

Oh, and like that one other guy said, be able to teach infantry privates (and later corporals) how to do their jobs. Don't be a load on the unit, be a unit load.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.