[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Babby's First Handgun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
5KB, 250x250px
Never had a gun before, but recently decided I wanted to start shooting for fun. I am personally more interested in a revolver because I like the look of them.

My question is:

"Is a Chiappa Rhino 40DS a decent gun?"

I've read online a few reviews and it seems to be reliable, has a good recoil, and it looks cool as hell. But i want to be as informed as possible before I make my decison.

Beyond that, if i decided to get the Rhino, should I get the 50DS or 60DS?
>>
chiappa rhinos are notoriously unreliable and therefore a terrible choice for a first gun.

Get something like a S&W 686 for your first and then get a chiappa as your "car that's usually at the mechanics but is fun on the weekends"
>>
>Is the 40DS a decent gun

Relative to other revolvers on the market with a similar purpose and price point, it is a less than ideal choice. The build quality of the Chiappa is worse (about on par with Taurus), while the gun itself is significantly more expensive than other .357 Magnum service sized revolvers.

For comparison, it is 1.5x as much as a GP100 or 1.3x as much as 686, and the only thing it has over those guns is its 6 'o clock barrel. Every other aspect of it is worse. Furthermore, compared to the aforementioned GP100 or 686, it has an absolutely tiny aftermarket and significantly worse customer support due to Chiappa USA being an absolutely tiny outfit. Get it if you want a space revolver, but know that better options exist.
>>
>>33783025

Why won't anyone re-produce the Mateba?
>>
It's a meme gun
>lolseam
>>
>>33783116
>>33783053

So basically, this gun is a conversation piece and nothing more.

Gotcha.

Bummer, it looks cool as fuck.
>>
>>33783025
If you're willing to drop that much dosh for your first gun, get a nice S&W

You'll be proud of it forever and it'll last longer than you will
>>
>>33783137
because Mateba apparently threw all of their tooling in the trash and don't feel like making any more of them
>>
>>33783025
>"Is a Chiappa Rhino 40DS a decent gun?"

I own one, and I have shot a couple of others that are not mine. They have never been anything other than 100% reliable in my experience. I can't comment on support from Chiappa because I have never needed any.

Also, many people consider the gun to be ugly so it will get a lot of bad press from that fact alone. Many people who prefer the look of a Colt SAA or a classic Smith will poo-poo the Rhino just because they don't like its aesthetics.

That being said, >>33783116 has a lot of good points. A GP100 or a 686 are less expensive and have a better reputation. I haven't shot a GP100 very much so I don't know much about their long-term durability, but Ruger revolvers are well known for being built like a tank (and that has certainly been my experience with other Rugers that I have owned for years) The 686's trigger is much better than that of the Rhino, hands down.

But it's certainly not a bad gun, and anyone that says it can't or won't shoot is full of crap, honestly. There's a video on youtube of Jerry Miculek nailing targets with a Rhino just as fast as with his Smith.

>>33783137
I don't know if this is the real reason or not, but I owned one (357) several years ago and it was rather finicky with what ammo you fed it. Some loads wouldn't cycle the action properly. That's rather annoying because one of the benefits of a standard revolver is that it has zero "feed issues" or action cycling issues that automatics can have.
>>
>>33783630
>used to own a mateba
>still owns a rhino
absolute madman

I get what you're saying though.
>>
>>33783683
I sold my Mateba years ago when I needed money. I wish I never sold it, but the more years I spend in the gun hobby the more I realize that is common! Back when I sold it they were not very hard to find. Nowadays they are quite hard to find and sell for a crazy high price. I also had a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag setup with barrels ranging from 2 to 12" that I also stupidly let go.

As for the Rhino, kinda like OP I bought it because I thought it looked cool. I know not everyone shares that opinion though. It's been a perfectly reliable gun for me. I've probably got about 1000 rounds through it so far.
>>
>>33783025

Friend, buy a S&W 686 or 66.

Or a Ruger GP100 or SP101

Or, if single action is your thing, an Uberti Cattleman, Ruger Blackhawk, or Ruger Vaquero
>>
>>33783932
>>33783053
Why does everyone suggest the 686 over the 586? Blued is far superior.
>>
>>33784678
Both are great guns, I see no problem with either one.

Personally I think the blued looks better, but OTOH the finish is less durable than stainless. Whichever floats your boat. I've got various Smiths and Colts...nickel...polished stainless....blued...matte stainless...you name it. They're all great, it's just a matter of which you prefer.
>>
I own a Grand Power P1 Mk7. Is this a decent gun or should I trade it in for a Walther p99 or something better?
>>
>>33783630
>Colt SAA or a classic Smith will poo-poo the Rhino just because they don't like its aesthetics.
can't i like both?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.