[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into hunting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (59KB, 613x477px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 613x477px
I want to go hunting /k/. Specifically I want some venison in my freezer. I'm in FL. I know our deer are kind of weak, but there must be animals out there I can harvest. I have an AR in 5.56 and a Mossberg 500 with a 24" barrel. I feel confident in being able to put a shot on my target to put an animal down.

Is it just as simple as getting the permits and walking/waiting in the swamp? How do I get my harvest out of the woods? I don't have an ATV or a truck, but I do have a hatch back car I could lay down some tarps inside of. Can one just throw a deer over their shoulder and hike it out of the woods?

What's the most important thing after you kill an animal so the meat doesn't end up contaminated? Do you gotta rip its guts out in the field immediately or do you have time to drag it away and prepare it for eating later?

All I know is fishing. I throw the fish into my cooler with ice, take them home and cut them up when I get home for eating. Is it the same with four legged creatures?

Also, what about hogs? I know they're pretty much open season here, but I also hear the meat sucks and is often filled with parasites. Is eating hog viable?

I'm hungry /k/ please help.
>>
>>33780755
So a lot of your questions should be covered in the mandatory hunter's safety class you gotta take.

The thing you gotta do immediately after harvesting any animal is you gotta field dress it: that means getting all the vital organs you aren't gonna eat out of the carcass. Then, get the animal to the butcher ASAP. If you're gonna butcher it yourself, you gotta get that animal cool and skinned. Ideally let the meat hang in a cool place for a few days (ideally a few weeks) before you begin cutting it up so the blood can drain.

I don't know how wild hogs are in FL, but parasites die just as well when cooked.
>>
The big thing to do is check your state's hunting laws, and then find land you can legally hunt on. Here in Canuckistan, we have Crown Land, and I assume there's public land you can hunt on down there.

You don't have to gut an animal immediately, but if you have to lug an animal back to your vehicle gutting it makes it significantly lighter. Make sure to drag it, and not carry it over your shoulder, or some jumpy fuckhead might think you're a deer.

Your AR should do the job if you get some decent Hornady soft points, just make sure you breath and take your time with your shots. Buck fever can make an easy shot impossible.
>>
>>33780869

Thanks anon. I'll look into hunting classes in my area.

Where I plan on hunting is an hour drive from my house. So it sounds like if I rip out the shitty bits, hike it out of the woods and get home ASAP, butcher it, then put it on ice I would be good to go?
>>
>>33780954
remember, it's a legal requirement, and you can't get a hunting license in any state without it.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/courses/
>>
>>33780930

So for getting it out of the woods all I do is literally drag it? Good idea about not throwing it over the shoulder. It sounds like a pain in the ass, but I lack an ATV or a truck I could drive into the woods. It is what it is I suppose, I need the exercise anyways.
>>
>>33780981
you can get a sled
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (113KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
113KB, 1920x1080px
>>33780755
Is it easy to hunt if you're a 4/10 shot on the range and have never been hunting b4? Do I need a friend who knows how to hunt?
>>
>>33780994

Like the ones I used to slide down hills on in the winter? Just a plastic tub with some rope tied to it?
>>
>>33781017
it depends on terrain, but I just use a plastic sled with a rope up here in Wisconsin. In-person hunter's safety classes are great for finding out these things: there are no dumb questions
>>
>>33780981
If you can, get out to where you'll be hunting once you find a place and scout out the terrain. I am a lazy fuck and have a bunch of blinds that are maybe 100 yards from the road, so I never have to drag far.

Barring that, doing what the other anon said and getting a game sled is a great idea.
>>
>>33781009
Depending on your location, hunting isn't as easy as sitting down on a log and waiting for a deer to walk by. I hunt in huge forest and it takes a few weekends at the cabin to figure out where the deer are hanging around and how to set up. Last year, I was a good mile in the woods. I was close enough to a logging road that we could use an ATV to get my deer back to the cabin, but I've hunted in other spots where it would have been a long drag. I've been hunting with my dad and grandfather since I was 12, but I couldn't imagine just watching some "how to hunt" YouTube videos and going out and shooting a deer, it's not that simple. Sneak hunting is a totally different skill set, too.
>>
Ugh Im 25 and grew up on 500 acres near the kansas state line in oklahoma. dad still owns the land but we always lease it out to hunters.

I hate that we were always too poor and dad never had the money for gear guns and ammo.

But I know he did the best he could.

hold me /k/
pic unrelated
>>
>>33781074

So at the hunting safety class am I likely to meet someone who can show me the ropes? Or am I left to takes notes and then I'm left to figure it out in my own?
>>
>>33781320
Hunter safety is just that, hunter safety. It doesn't teach you how to hunt. It's a crash course on firearms safety, ethical hunting practices (knowing when you can or can't make a clean kill) and some other little things. If you can't find someone to teach you, it's not going to be easy. Book learning doesn't make up for real experiences like finding a good spot to set up, field dressing your kill, and general woodsmanship. Processing your meat is another thing. I live in WI and businesses that process meat also do venison if you can't do it yourself. Places like that might be harder to come by where you live.
>>
>>33780755
Buy a handle of jack, find a dude that hunts, eat some humble pie, ask him to take you hunting, give him the whiskey and say thanks
>>
If you use your AR get a 5 round mag. FL law is no auto loading rifle mags over 5 rounds, I couldn't even use my fucking SKS unless I changed the mag.
>>
>>33782935

Good to know.

So say I find an experienced hunter who is willing to show me the ropes. Is hunting something that can be done in a two day period? My work schedule is tight and at most I only get two days off. Once I build vacation time I would be able to take a week to hunt. I remember my uncle would take a month off to hunt deer.
>>
>>33781009
>4/10 shot on the range
Nigger, do you have palsy, or do you just not listen to your instructors?
>>
>>33783952
It's possible, but you'll need to spend time in the woods leading up to the hunt to figure out where you're going to sit. Since I assume you won't have a deer stand, making a simple ground blind with whatever is around you would be a good idea, but you can just find a log to sit on too.

Remember, deer are mostly nocturnal and hunting is all about being in the right place at the right time. If you don't get one your first season, just keep trying. It's like fishing.
>>
>>33784058

That sounds awesome. I would like to take a week with someone who can show me the ropes. Then as I gain experience and knowledge that would be my goal to spend my weekends off sitting innawoods.
>>
>>33783300
Or you know, trim a block of wood to fit under the follower and limit the capacity for free, or, continue being a retard, your choice lol
>>
Lucky for you 1 man can drag a white tail out of the woods. Gut it where it dropped, save the offal, drag it out, get it to a processor...try to find someone who will teach you how to skin and quarter it because that will save you money at the processor.
>>
>>33784206
Just be sure to compensate them somehow..You'll be fine. If you can buddy up with someone I'm sure they will have a hoot showing you the ropes, just feed em when the day is done and have beers or whatever.
>>
>>33780755
Public land is extremely overhunted in FL, especially anywhere you can access without a buggy. If you don't know anyone with private land, your best bet is to join a hunt club, there are a number of them in the northern half of the state. It's around $1k/year. You can get one of those nice ladder style tree stands and just leave it there. If you just want a hog you can find guided hunts for a couple hundred bucks. Yes, you can carry a deer out on your shoulders, or better yet get a drag bag or folding cart. There are ones specifically for this. Definitely take the hunter safety course, even if you don't hunt here it will let you get your CWP.
>>
>>33780755
I wouldn't recommend 556 for deer but I'm an Arkansas hunter so it could be different in Florida. deer hunting is a somewhat large investment, in terms of clothes, scent, feeders, trail cams, ammo, and land. but if you're trying to just get some meat in the freezer then buy some rifled slugs and find a good tree and don't wear deodorant
>>
>>33784881

I'm in south FL. We have public hunting lands in the Big Cypress Preserve. I hike there often and see plenty of wild life, but I'm also not hiking in the hunting areas and I'm certainly not poaching.
>>
>>33781131
take advantage of it now, growing up hunting has given me some great memories and taught me alot, it's never too late. One of the eldest members and best hunter i know shot his first deer at age 39.
>>
>>33780976

Been hunting (yes with a license) in MI for 7 years. Have never taken a hunters safety class.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.