[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EMP prep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

What's the bare minimum that you should have in preparation for an EMP that takes out all power in North America? Imagine you have no guns, $20 + common household items. What would be the best way to survive?

>makeshift spear
>knife
>small pillowcase for water filtering
>pot for boiling water/cooking food
>at least two 2l bottles
>lighter
>warm clothes
>as much 25 cent ramen as you can carry
>tarp if you have one
>sleeping bag or blanket
>hatchet ideally

Anything else?
>>
File: awk.jpg (10KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
awk.jpg
10KB, 350x350px
>>33780351
> sawyer mini
> soap
> dutch oven. They got them at academy for $18
> pic related
> as many buckets as you can buy. Nobody has enough buckets. Store water, wash clothing. Poop in bucket. Wash hands in other bucket.
> go buy more buckets now.
> sams club sells fifty pounds of rice for $16
> they also sell beans.
> buy another bucket.
> shovel.
>>
>>33780351

first of all, i would not be a poorfag.

I mean really, do we want people with only $20 to their name to actually survive? fuck them.
>>
EMPs are a meme. Power would be down for half a day at most and they couldn't take out the whole US, maybe one city max.
>>
>>33780407

kinda true. if there were the right number of perfectly placed explosions, yes it would take down the entire grid. our grid is extremely fragile.

It would be far easier to take out the dozen or so substations that the entire nation depends on.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-risks-national-blackout-from-small-scale-attack-1394664965?tesla=y

also, most vehicles would still operate in an EMP event, unlike the book 'one second after' or whatever it's called. There was a study a while back where they took 3 dozen or so vehicles of varying vintage and subjected them to massive EMP. only one of them didn't start afterward. some of these cars were as new as 2002, so they definitely had tons of integrated circuits and microchips in them.
>>
>>33780407
Is probably right.
EMP is essentially a high power radio wave at many frequencies in many directions. It will be attenuated by distance and other things like trees, bindings and your ass. I don't think anyone can say for sure what would happen after a nuclear EMP but it's doubtful it would be the catastrophic back to the stoneage fate that is often dramatized
>>
>Resorting to the dark ages because you can't store some shit in a faraday cage
>>
>>33780537
>>33780475
>>33780407
He's a faggot to fear an EMP but prepping a little is fun.

And helpful to society. This is the part where i would begin posting infographics if i had any
>>
>>33780407
not true
congressional report says an emp caused by a solar flare or atmospheric nuclear detonation would cause the death of more than half the us population within a year and it would be 15+ months before the grid would be fully repaired
>>
>resorting to stone age weaponry
you know guns still work in an EMP, right?
>>
>>33780547

Oh I'm definitely a prepper. Hell I just bought 20 pounds of pickling salt in case my freezers go down (among many MANY other steps I've taken).

But prepping for EMP is rather silly, it's far more likely that America goes into civil war soon. The left is radicalizing at a breakneck pace and it seems to be accelerating.

EMP would be interesting, though. To be sent back to 1890 within minutes would be a sight to see. Hearing of the urban centers completely imploding and going to cannibalism within 72 hours would be music to my ears. If you couldn't tell I absolutely despise the left. It would not bother me in the slightest if Right Wing Death Squads formed and murdered 150 million Americans.
>>
File: EMP.jpg (25KB, 360x310px) Image search: [Google]
EMP.jpg
25KB, 360x310px
>>33780407
>>33780537
High height EMP explosion has global range.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1549/1
>>
File: EMP1_zpscdmrjg2x.png (71KB, 696x668px) Image search: [Google]
EMP1_zpscdmrjg2x.png
71KB, 696x668px
>>33780407
>muh mimis
A dozen blasts can completely mangle the us power grid and most civvie electronics, which means the homefront implodes.
>>
I have an ACOG, so my optics work just fine even in EMP situations
>>
>>33780351
>EMP prep
Large-scale EMPs can only be efficiently produced by nukes.

If you got nuked, you probably have other problems.

[spoiler]Like being a shadow of your former self.[/spoiler]
>>
>>33780622
>and most civvie electronics
I don't think you understand how an EMP works and why it is dangerous. It isn't some kind of magic anti-technology bubble.
>>
>>33780644
>Large-scale EMPs can only be efficiently produced by nukes.
or an x flare
>>
>>33780614
I was just assuming we were talking about North Korea who wouldnt be capable of producing a high altitude megaton burst.

In the case of an adversary that could actually achieve a high height megaton burst most people would be dead anyway. Nuclear holocaust
>>
>>33780656

well, the holocaust is a hoax, so basically nuclear war is fake?
>>
File: 134514351.jpg (38KB, 444x300px) Image search: [Google]
134514351.jpg
38KB, 444x300px
http://www.futurescience.com/emp/super-EMP.html
>In other words, any nuclear weapons state could easily create a weapon that would produce more than 25,000 volts per meter across the entire continental United States if it is detonated 250 miles (400 kilometers) above the approximate center of the continental United States.
>>
File: A holocaust.png (7KB, 628x167px) Image search: [Google]
A holocaust.png
7KB, 628x167px
>>33780666
no, /pol/. A holocaust, not THE holocaust
>>
>>33780601
It's not just the left that is radicalizing. The right wing is also getting more crazy every day.

It's facebook that does it. People show each other propaganda all day long. Eventually, they start to believe it.

The civil war thing does scare me a bit. It's not about to happen, and it won't happen until one side gets enough power to start really doing damage to the lives of the everyday people.

But, every empire crumbles eventually. In the modern world, things happen faster. It took Rome a while to collapse, but we could be gone and forgotten in two weeks.

There was an Egyptian man who died. This was thousands of years ago, but the point is, after he died, he was embalmed and entombed. Then, for 700 years, priests kept his tomb clean and offered regular sacrifices for him.

Some dead Egyptian is going to last longer than the U.S.
>>
>>33780687
But the right only radicalizes because the left is forcing their false ideals upon us. I didn't hate gay people until they started telling me I am a bad person for hating gay people. The left just pushes and pushes and eventually, we are going to push back and they will all be gone. period.
>>
>>33780711
I don't want your political excuses. If you were on the other side, you'd say the same thing, but reverse.

What i'm saying is, we have a problem where everybody is increasingly antagonistic. Facebook makes this problem worse.

One day, it'll bring people back to war.
>>
>>33780739
This man speaks truth.
>>
>>33780739
Nah. The left has been winning the culture war since 1965. Nothing but nonstop chipping away at freedom, the constitution, and traditionalism; which is what the US was founded on and intended to stay as.

The left only sees thing through the lenses of; 'christianity and the white man must be eradicated at all costs'. that ideology is the plague that is causing the problem; not right wingers that just want America to stay America.
>>
>>33780676
>2500 volts per meter
Yeah but over a wide range of frequencies. Power lines would naturally be fucked as they aren't frequency selective at all, but things like your cell phone aren't going to absorb much of that energy
>>
>>33780803
You're still making the mistake of believing i care about your redVSblue squabbles.

It's like you can't remember history, too. Remember all the chest-beating and conservative stuff when Bush was in? Remember Regan?

Hell, can't you even remember 2016? trump WON. You're either retarded or you've been reading facebook.

Congratulations; you've been propagandized.

tl;dr none of you have ever seen a dead donkey.

And, for you illiterates who are proud of being to dumb to open a book, that's not a reference to the democrat party emblem.
>>
>>33780895
>i don't care about red vs blue
>>spergs a paragraph about Trump and red state generalizations

>>33780351
>prepping thread
>you only get $20 to prepare

Haha, okay OP. Bug out is not an option, and any EMP that fries your electronics will be followed by a blast wave that knocks over your house. Here's what I've purchased/kept specifically for holing up/SHTF prep. This really is not even bare minimum:

275gal water tote
8Qt Lodge cast iron dutch oven
3.5Qt Le Creuset enameled cast iron pot
backyard firepit
bleach, dishwashing liquid, scouring powder, dr bronners
stock of dry beans, rice, flour, sugar, salt, oil, lard
Spec-Ops THE Pack, AR680 body armor, camp gear, Pelican 1750
12ga for defense, 22lr for varmints, MagLite +fuckton of D cells
swinging AR500 plates
HF receiver, random wire indoor antenna
gransfors bruks felling axe
fiskars x11 hatchet/splitter
carbureted V8 engine
sockets, wrenches, grinder, drill, vice, jacks, hoists, etc.
homesteading books, classics, histories, philosophy, economics
Army years: CLS, SMCT, layered defenses, gabion construction, etc.

Need to build a pot still to make ethanol fuel from biomass. It's cheap, legal, and registering w/ govt is free, but you need to have a bit of land and not conflict with local ordinances. Currently going to school and building up a nest egg to build an off-grid home somewhere in [redacted].
>>
>>33780686
holocaust is sacrifice by fire, doesn't need to be massive
>>
>>33780646
Can you point me in the direction of more information on emp, since you seem to be at least a little bit educated on it?
>>
>>33780351
Pure mechanical ammo production equipment, forge for blacksmithing (I do a bit as a hobby) and guns.

Hardcopy print-out of the do/k/ument.

Books on chemistry.

Lentils for seed.

Seed potatoes.

Stores of rice, lentils, corn, pemmican, and canned "meat"
>>
>>33780407
Best Korea has satalites, and nukes. They could easily emp our cities if they wanted. That is perhaps a larger threat then them eventually buidling an icbm.
>>
>>33780475
That will probrably only get worse tho as most new cars are push boon ignition, fly by wire everything, and Choch full of self updating computers.
>>
>>33780656
>North Korea who wouldnt be capable of producing a high altitude megaton burst.
That is wrong tho. They don't need missiles to launch an amp. Just orbit a satalite and have it deorbit and detonate above the US.
>>
>>33783096

No they couldn't. No. Stop being a scaremonger.

They first need reliable ICBM's for your bold claim, then they need to get off a launch without detection... Anon your full of shit again.

Also the EMP in orbit shit, no they don't have an 'emp' in orbit. They have surplus junk in orbit we will see again in the Indian ocean soon.
>>
>>33780351
>Imagine you have no guns, $20 + common household items. What would be the best way to survive?

Make a broomstick handle into a spear.
Cinder block Rocket Stove to cook on.
Wood pile in lawn to use for heat & cooking
If winter, make a Ammo can stove
Solar heater using wood, glass from garage black paint and dryer exhaust hose.
Solar water heater using the copper from the fridge water/ice line that goes to the basement. See solar heater above for more parts.
Energy generation from the alternator from car, it's battery and a bike.
Use indoor mice snap traps for squirrels.

I could go on and on.
>>
>>33780586
Nuclear emp cascades rely on massive amounts of wire to conduct
Cars, phones, and computers don't have enough to conduct a meaningful amount
>>
>>33780351
Main thing to prep--cobble together a tech plan and spend the rest on actual survival supplies.

One good one: get your old smartphone
>Replace the battery
>Factory reset & latest updates
>Maps.ME -- offline GPS and download maps for your entire region.
>PDF's with survival information
>Hopefully an FM radio tuner built-in
>A MicroSD card loaded up with music
>Other random useful stuff

That's pretty good tech for no-power mode. You can make it relatively permanent with a small solar USB charger and a power bank. Some other stuff...
>USB-charging AA batteries
>Maglite Mini Pro LED
>AA-powered glow stick
>Solar/crank emergency radio (AM, FM, WR)
>Shortwave radio

Stuff that stuff into a faraday cage and ensure that it's insulated from contacting the shell materials. After that, update it when you update your technology. New smartphone? Take the same steps to make it into a survival tool.

Aside from that, having food, water, medicine, shelter, and defense is excellent. Water filtration via a Sawyer Mini. Food via rice, beans & other basic staples. Medicine via a decent stock of common pharmaceuticals and first aide supplies. Shelter via several tarps, bedding materials, and the like. Defense via a fucking gun. This is /k/ after all.
>>
>>33780586
Post report then. Im not trying to be a dick, but anyone can just say "its in a congressional report" about anything on here. If yer gonna make a claim like that you need to post links.
>>
>>33785612
Most electronics dont have anything with enough surface area in them to induce a current. EMP needs shit like long cables, antennas, or just a bunch of wire for the field to do much of anything.

Heres how it works
>EM waves induce current on metallic objects
>but its really REALLY tiny
>on a 100 mile long powerline it adds up to a massive surge which blows transformers
>shit like actual powerstations, radio towers, and cell towers wouldnt actually be too bad off, theyre grounded
>small shit like yer laptop, phone, flashlights, refridgerator etc etc would be fine too, not enough surface area to induce a meaningful charge
>car alternator and battery MIGHT take a hit, but thats only if you are kiterally directly below the orgin of the pulse, car electrical systems are pretty well grounded too
>grid would be down until all the transformers and power lines are replaced, which would take a long time, but once back up everything would more or less be fine.

Mass panic would cause more damage than the EMP and probably delay repairs to the grid because people are dumb animals.
>>
>>33780803
>the US
>founded on traditionalism
This is why nobody ever takes you people seriously.
>>
>>33780351

>buy tinfoil
>buy shit ton of tinfoil
>cover entire house in tinfoil
>>
What would happen to anybody living near a nuclear plant in an EMP strike? I assume those plants have failsafes for power failure, so probably no Chernobyl shit. Am I wrong?
>>
>>33780586
>congressional report says

When was this published? And are they aware that power system protection has advanced quite a bit since our high altitude tests took out some streetlights in Honolulu.
>>
>>33787132
You bet yer sweet ass those things are grounded and shielded.
>full shut-down
>controls locked out
>physical equipment to restart the reactor is destroyed
>crew is evacuated
>or if the USA is convinced that this really IS it theyd probably kill the workers so that some dipshit warlord cant use them to restart the thing and use threat of a meltdown as a bargaining chip.
>>
>>33787252
You can't have "kill the workers" as even a slightly remote possibility in their minds or in policy 'cause the slightest fuck up by the team doing the killing could lead to a standoff with a meltdown used for bargaining. In all likelihood they'd probably be evacuated because that level of knowledge is not cheap to come by and the govt. still needs nuclear scientists to maintain control.
>>
>>33786405
Basically everything plugged in is connected to hundreds of miles of power lines. I'd count everything plugged in as dead, since you (probably) won't have enough time to unplug everything and you're crazier than me if you unplug everything when it's not in active usage.

That's why I'd advocate using retired technology and a few cheap purchases to make a post-EMP situation a lot easier. You've probably already got aluminum foil and cardboard boxes, so wrap shit up and toss it in the bottom of the closet.

>$30 solar powered emergency radio with USB charging (you should have one regardless, for usage during severe storms)
>$10 smartphone battery (cheap for most 2 year old phones)
>$5 MicroSD card (you may well have a few extras anyway)
>$5 app (it's like having a real GPS for your smartphone)

So you're looking at what? About $20 plus a cardboard box and aluminum foil. Meanwhile, you've got select excerpts from the sum of human knowledge.
>>
>>33780405
i concur

>>33780739
you sound like a fucking retard
>>
>>33787453
Who said the workers are aware of it? Im talking hard-core happening, they arent going to have people running around who know how to start those fuckers back up.

They are gonna expend great resources towards rounding them up and moving them to a secure location. If thats not possible I garuntee you that "oh, okay, guess we just let em wander off then" isnt an option on the table.
>>
>>33787465
Trandformers would explode, those lie between your house and the main grid for exactly that purpose.

Its why your TV and microwave dont explode when a powerline is struck by lightning. The transformer will blow first. (You can be zapped by an old land-line phone due to lightning strike but thats because phonelines are seperate networks from the powergrid and dont go through a transformer).
>>
>>33787236
Literally fucking NASA in 2012. There was a solar flare that just barely missed us that would have been a total, global EMP with such a high power output that a single digit percentage of infrastructure would have survive. This includes basic transformers exploding, the physical wires themselves catching on fire (yes this is a real thing), and all the other associated memes.

A single nuclear blast EMP is a bit of a joke, but the power output directly under the orbital nuke is still enough to fry every piece of electronic in the city. If we are talking a multi warhead scenario, they could easily detonate over 100 in orbit to black out the entirety of the US instead of wasting it irradiating farmland.

But if we want to talk about realistic threats, it is a natural phenomena, and a fairly common one at that - the last big one hit us in the 1800's, but we didn't have sufficient tech back then to be reliant on it. Based on the solar activity of the sun, they calculated the odds of one of these solar storms hitting us between 2012 and 2022 at 12%.

Just think about that for a second. 12% casual chance of a sudden, total collapse of all infrastructure.
>>
>>33787642
I don't know about you, but I've had lightning damage a few times in the last 5 years. I won't trust transformers either since there's a couple hundred feet between me and the nearest transformer.

You've still not refuted my point that preparation is both cheap and reasonable. Simply having more information and less boredom should help you survive a bit longer. It also gives you some other tools like up-to-date maps, a functional GPS, flashlight, and camera. Many cellphones also have FM radios built in, so you that's another way to get information. If cell towers are severely damaged, they'll probably use post-emergency settings, which should prioritize government, emergency services, and 9-1-1. (The last of which will work from every reasonably modern cellphone regardless of cell plan or lack thereof.)
>>
>>33787849
Has it ocurred to you that the satellites your GPS uses would be taken down too? (Satellites will be the primary target for an EMP attack, if a carrington level solar flare happens those things are toast.) If its bad enough you need to keep shit in a fairaday cage none of the infrastructure your squirreled away tech relies on is going to be operational either. Smaller devices are harder to damage with EMP than big ones.

I have an old analog shortwave radio that picks up shit from fuckin korea (and im in montana) all vacume tubes and shit, not one microcircuit in it. I have actual maps of my area and better yet, working knowledge of it. I got a couple old diesel generators which could be modified to run off ethanol, propane, or wood-gas. I got 6 months of food, guns, ammo, and im in a good spot off in the woods.

Im not going to bother squirreling away a bunch of smartphones and videogames so I can "relieve boredom." Thats what books and hard work towards survival is for.

If you think EMP is going to knock out a flashlight you clearly dont understand enough about electicity to do much else but burn through your food and fuel while playing flappybird on the iphone you wrapped in tinfoil.

Im going to be keeping busy converting an 80 KW generator to run off alternative fuels, you can keep your phone and GPS.
>>
File: cme.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cme.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>33780407
what about a mega-CME?
like Carrington Even x3 or something?
>you can always find a reason to mentally masturbate to fear porn
>>
>>33780405
>>33787478
your taxes pay for me. (and i fucking hate it)
>>
>>33780804
The power grid going down due to an EMP weapon, or more likely, a solar event, is still going to be a huge problem in both the short and long term.

Even if all your handheld or shielded electronics managed to survive intact, their batteries will soon need charging, and if the entire grid has been melted then you're going to have a massive number of people trying to work, communicate, and entertain themselves using whatever generators they can get their hands on.

Fuel prices would spike as demand goes up, and at this point I doubt any effective repairs could have been made to restore power. It would, at the very least, put the country into a state of national emergency, and cause a massive drain of the economy as the country tries to repair its fried power grid and its offices/factories/government network/etc. struggle to continue functioning on whatever electricity can be scrounged up.

Shit would not be pretty.
>>
>>33780739
sometimes true peace can be found only on the other side of war.

I advocate killing the moderates so we can have a good healthy bloodletting, already.
>>
All you city guys worrying about how to save your iphone should be worrying about what you will do when there is literally no food on store shelves within the first week, every animal around you has been hunted to virtual extinction within the first month, and all water sources are unusable within 2 months. My plan is to steal a boat for deep sea fishing and steal some land for growing food.
>>
>>33780592
If call of duty taught me anything is that guns will work in EMP events, just their fancy sights won't.
>>
>>33788057
>intentionally misunderstanding the point
>the post
Let's keep this short.

Maps work without GPS's.
Digital maps weigh less and are smaller, lighter, and more complete than a map book.
Having some music doesn't hurt. Nor does a larger set of free references than appear in text.
Most batteries are either disposable or somewhat difficult to charge. USB-charging cells are neither but still easily compatible with AA/AAA devices. And can charge easily from small solar chargers.
An 80kw generator is a wee bit bigger than residential size. Still, have fun. Some alt fuels are more available or cheaper than diesel.
>>
>>33782995
http://www.futurescience.com/emp/EMP-myths.html
>>
>>33787687
The key point here is a solar flare or other large emp would only really have a significant effect on our power distribution infrastructure, the reason being that for any significant current to be induced in a metal object, it needs to be fairly large, things such as powerlines are just about the worst case scenario and would likely experience huge voltage spikes that could affect devices downstream if something doesn't break first.

However things that are not connected (see cars) would not be significantly impacted, the real trouble comes when other infrastructure starts collapsing when it cannot get the required electricity.
>>
>>33783134
The reason they can't do that is because the primitive bombs they would have are likely to be incredibly heavy, Early US devices in the megaton range were upwards of 20,000 lbs, the Nork's Unha missle system can get around 250lbs into low earth orbit, so they're not even close currently, they would need to develop a domestic heavy lift rocket to pose a threat.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.