[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bullet casting/reloading general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12

File: 20170427_005844.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170427_005844.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
Anyone here do their own casting? 44 mag is too pricey to keep buying factory ammunition and shoot as often as I want

Also reloading general
>>
>>33777225
I cast 300 blk and 458 socom then powder coat, I shoot them suppressed and subsonic. Same reason as you, paying 50c for subsonic 300 is BS. Worse is paying $1.80 for a supersonic 458.
>>
How do you guys get your lead? buy them in bags o shot or go to scrap yards?
>>
>>33777311
Does powder coating them prevent fouling?
>>
>>33777404

I ask local auto shops for old tire weights that they take off of cars when they rebalance wheels. they'll usually give them to you for free since it costs them money to properly recycle them
>>
>>33777404
Also shipyards, they sometimes use lead weights as ballast.
Also dental clinics that use the older style x-ray machines have a bit of pure lead foil in it. Im going to hit up one local place that used to use one such machine and see how they are doing.

Also, I myself am new to reloading so I have a question about 5.56 Nato.
Iv been trying to find load data on Milspec ammo and all the sources I have found are all over the place as far as data goes.
Im trying to get as close as I can to modern Milspec data.

Also, does anyone know anything about lube groveless molds? There was a company, Hardline Industries. But they seem to have evaporated off the face of the earth. Anyone know of another company to offer them?
>>
File: women drivers.webm (476KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
women drivers.webm
476KB, 720x404px
>>33777225
are people who reload the homebrew beer guys of the firearm community?

>hey try my reloads man
>i swear they won't grenade your gun

>hey try my kitty litter coffee stout brew man
>i swear it won't make you blind
>>
>>33777225
>lead
>>
>>33778770
Never in my life have I offered anyone my reloads, shits expensive enough even with reloads.
Not to mention, most people, myself included' reload for a specific firearm. Just loading up ammo like that then slapping it in a different gun makes no sense.
>>
>>33777225
Your time has to be worth very little to make casting your own bullets profitable. So you either need to be retired, an independently wealthy autist or very very poor. Buying cast lead bullets or even plated bullets for reloading makes pistol shooting pretty inexpensive.

>>33778756
There is not a wide range of velocities between the min and max powder loads for a given projectile/powder combo. So if you pick a bullet to load that approximates a milspec round you will be close enough for government work. My recommendation is not to get hung up on "milspec" like a tard and figure out what bullet weight/powder combo your rifle shoots most accurately and load that. Mine likes 69gr SMKs over 21.5grs of 3031.
>>
>>33778782
Alrighty, happen to know what 5.56 NATO projectile weight tends to be? My data seems to point between 62gr and 65gr.
>>
>>33778796
55, 62 and super secret squirrel is 77.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 800x450px
New reloading fag here, what dies, press, etc. would I need to reload 8x56r?
>>
BritishMuzzleloaders is that you?
>>
>>33777404
I got some ~60 pounds from local car shops removing old tire weights. Only catch is sorting through 100+ pounds of weights to find the older lead ones.

I also recommend Rotometals.com, I bought some ingots from them, including a 40 pound ingot of reclaimed range lead. If you can find a radiopharmacy( which ship the radioactive medications in lead isocores) or a marine salvage yard for ballast weights just buying the lead is easiest
>>
>>33778770
fuck sharing
>>
>>33777225
I cast .44.- I use a Lyman #429421 mold-it's the Keith style semi-wadcutter (240gr.). I can make a couple of hundred a hour. They are hard and shiny. I think it's enjoyable (at least as much as reloading!)
>>
>>33777225
I cast for
58 cal minis (out of pure lead)
577/450
.43 Mauser
7.62x25 (I powder coat these bullets)

I also just picked up a Remington Rolling Block in 43 Spanish and will start casting for that when I get a mold and dies for it.

>>33777404
The traditional source of tire shops is drying up as more and more states move away from lead wheel weights. Other sources are roofers and plumbers (and this gets you near pure lead), but again as more states move away from lead based materials, they run across less and less.
A new and very plentiful source is gun ranges themselves. You go to an outdoor range and sift through the dirt for bullets and melt the lead out the bullet (typically called range scrap). This is typically what I do (although I do this at a range that is restricted to black powder so big bullets and no jackets).
Another source would be ebay or checking cast boolits forum. The catch is you don't have control of the alloy, so if you get some guy trying to dump his zinc contaminated batch you have no recourse.

If you do start casting, make sure you do it in a well ventilated area (or outside). We have enough nutcases on /k/ we don't need any more.
>>
>>33779826
Anyone?
>>
File: drawing-pencils.jpg (131KB, 575x300px) Image search: [Google]
drawing-pencils.jpg
131KB, 575x300px
Does anybody own pencils?

I coughed up like $150 for presses, dies and a scale. I've got lead and powder. But i don't want to spend $10 on pencils to check lead hardness.

How important is the hardness of the lead?
>>
>>33779826
>>33780203
Any reloading press will do, I started with a Lee Breach Lock press and it handled my needs until I got a Martini Henry (577/450 dies won't fit in it).
As for dies, Lee makes a set or you can search for a used set of RCBS or CH4D dies (I have RCBS). Bullets are "made" by Hornady and Prvi. Brass is made by Prvi. Load data is available from Lee but it is woefully under powered so you will need a chronograph and some patience.
Everything else is general reloading equipment. You can go with a kit to start with but if you go with Lee like I did you will find yourself replacing pieces of it until only thing left is the press.
>>
Anyone know some good alternatives to 168 gr. SMK? Using Hornady now since they are 280€/1000 instead of 440€/1000 for SMK.

>>33779826
Lee Classic Cast
Lee die set
Harbor freight tumbler
Digital calipers
Digital letter scale
>>
>>33780247
It's the difference between a cast bullet in a hot load hitting the target and a cast bullet in a hot load exiting the barrel and instantly exploding.
>>
>>33778782
Well im a poorfag college student and I collect milsurp/old guns so I like to be able to shoot my unicorn guns often, as I have a backyard range.

Plus for my martini I have to cast them anyways.
>>
>>33780319
I know, i've read all about it. If it's too hard or too soft, it's not a bullet anymore -- it's solder and it's going to cover everything it touches.

I just don't want to buy the pencils. Also,
> does anybody know a good source for allowing materials?
>>
>>33780360
>doesn't want to buy 10 dollar pencils
>could possibly ruin a several hundred if not thousand dollar gun
>>
>>33780379
> $600 revolver.
> $40 press
> $20 mold
> $40 scale
> $40 w296
> $20 dies
I should just buy the pencils.

But seriously, how do you get it hard enough?
>>
>>33777414
With subsonic loads, yes. With supersonic loads, a gas check, and proper sizing also yes. It pretty much replaces the traditional lube and works a good bit better.

>>33777404
I buy pre-smelted range-scavenge ingots off a guy on castboolits. Not as cheap as doing it myself but a fuckload faster and cleaner.
>>
>>33779857
i called the only local radiopharmacy, they told me i have to buy it, oh and only the boss knows how much it is, oh hes not here right now.

sounds like the boss man sells the free lead on the side for extra shekls
>>
>>33778756
Load via CIP spec and not SAAMI spec. CIP doesn't differentiate between .223rem and 5.56 NATO like SAAMI does.

Accurate and NOE both make grooveless moulds for powdercoated bullets.
>>
>>33780414
antimony
>>
>>33780414
i know a lot of people quench in water. that will bring the hardness up.

but seriously dude go watch some youtube videos, if youre asking advice about something like that on here, you dont have the experience yet to know whos telling you some bullshit.

go watch some youtube videos.
>>
File: IMG_0822.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0822.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33777225
I love those plastic cases, this nice Asian family sells them at a regular gun show. Just cranked these out yesterday. 148 gr. DEWCs from Xtreme.
>>
>>33780469
Thank you, but I'm pretending to be slightly stupider than i really am.

I know from research that i need a BRN between 22-27 for this particular load. I've read about the addition of other materials, such as antimony and tin. I've read about dropping them into fluid to harden, but here's the thing

I just haven't done anything yet. It's all just theory.
>>
>>33778782
Oh boy, every fucking thread.
>hurr your time
>hurr value
>hurr opportunity cost
>hurr my statement is immutable fact that covers every possible scenario
Nigger no. It's possible with standard storebought equipment to cast upwards of a thousand bullets an hour (bottom-pour pot and 6-cavity moulds). If you're getting your lead free or cheap (with cheap being under $1.25 a pound), you can generally cast for a couple cents a bullet or less depending on the weight of the bullet.

Let's take everyone's favorite example, 9mm.
Now the cheapest 115gr commercially cast 9mm is around 6 cents a bullet. Not very expensive, but.

You get 60.8 115gr bullets out of a pound of lead, assuming your mould is dropping accurately (most are set up for Lyman Ideal alloy which is very close to linotype and a bit denser than wheelweight or commercial-bullet lead). So call it 60 bullets a pound. Now $1.25/60=0.0208, or 2 cents a bullet. So you've saved 4 cents a bullet over commercial-cast, and have a teeny tiny bit of leftover lead because 8/10ths of a bullet doesn't do anyone any good.

Now assuming you have a pretty standard 6-cavity mould and are taking your time, watching your temperature, and doing your damndest to not burn the garage down, you're casting 500 bullets an hour. So what's 500 times 4 cents? $20. You're saving (or making, depending on how you wanna look at it) $20 an hour. WITH FUCKING NINE MILLIMETER. And worst-case scenarios (commercially purchased lead, slow production).

So maybe you have something that throws huge chunks of lead and/or something that doesn't have commercially cast bullets available so you have to compare to plated/jacketed? You save even more money. An example of this would be my .405win. Nobody makes cast or plated bullets for it, so my ONLY options are Hornady or Woodleigh at $0.47 and $1.60 a bullet respectively. I can cast them for 5.5 cents each.
>>
>>33780309
Hornady Traditional Match, Barnes Matchburner (I don't think they're anywhere near as consistent but they have similar BC's), Nosler Custom Comp.

Since you're a euro also see what Lapua Scenars run. They're prohibitively expensive here stateside but that may not be the case for you. They're the single most consistent match bullet I've ever used, I just can't afford to shoot them.
>>
>>33780515
22 BHN is doable, 27 would require getting into levels of metallurgy I don't wish to.

Antimony is the normal alloying agent, brings the hardness up without making things brittle. I've seen alloys as high as ~7% antimony.

Some of the harder alloys have VERY SMALL amounts of tin in them (1-1.5%). Does a good job bringing the hardness up but makes it brittle, which is bad.

Water quenching does increase hardness, but usually not by very much (normally 1 point) and it loses effectiveness the more non-lead shit you have in it.

Out of curiosity, what the fuck are you loading for that would require such high hardness? The normal standard for .30-30/7.62x39 cast bullets at supersonic velocities is 18 BHN. If you're going much faster than that swap to aluminum gas checks (available on ebay or buy a Freechex) and powdercoat.
>>
>>33780247
How do pencils work to check lead hardness?

Not a reloader or metalworker. I just came to the thread because I like reading about it in the event I can eventually reload for 30.06
>>
>>33780629
It's a .327 magnum. Apparently, the pressure gets up near 40,000 psi.

I know, i know i should have just bought .44
>>
>>33780702
I'm very curious about this myself as well. The only way I know how to do it is with a commercial hardness tester, and even those aren't really all that accurate.

>>33780765
Oh, that's a VERY fun round. And I doubt you really need to go over 20 BHN as long as you use gas checks (use them faggot). It's high pressure, sure, but it's still not a rifle round.
>>
>>33780776
thank you! It's a guy who knows stuff.

but really, i should use the gaschecks?

>>33780702
Here's a video about the pencils.
In a nutshell, the idea is, serious art pencils come in a variety of hardnesses. These hardnesses are set by some kinda engineering standard and they're resonably accurate.

You file the point flat and try to cut the lead with it. If it glides accross, get the next harder pencil. If it scratches the lead, then the pencil is harder. There is some conversion table somewhere.

vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfsEDav4Sbg
>>
>>33780851
It is recommended to use gas checks on all bullets travelling over 1250fps regardless of caliber or particular hardness of the alloy, and with all magnum revolver loads regardless of velocity.

They also tend to be more accurate because it's almost impossible to get a truly flat, squared base on a cast bullet, cost just a cent or two each, and can be crimped on during sizing so it doesn't even really add any extra steps.
>>
>>33780894
son of a gun, i've got something else to learn. Thanks anon.
>>
>>33780851
>references rock collecting
Holy FUCK. I didn't think of that. It is literally like testing rocks with a rough approximation of Moh's hardness scale, only with pencils.

Thanks, man. This makes so much sense.
>>
Are bluebullets/poly bullets a sham? I've heard the coating does nothing but peel off as soon as it travels down your barrel.
>>
>>33780909
No prob. There is ALWAYS more to learn.

If you really want to learn, head over to castboolits.com. There's people on there (particularly Dolomite) who have more experience and knowledge with/about casting bullets than would be reasonably possible for most people.

They're also surprisingly friendly to noobs, it is NOT the same attitude you get on PF, arfcom, etc.
>>
>>33780558

>Doesn't factor in cost of equipment
>Doesn't factor in time to lube
>can't imagine someone who makes more than $20 an hour with little free time who'd rather shoot then cast

I concede that if you want to shoot less common shit that casting and reloading make a lot more sense.

The thing about casting and reloading is you have to enjoy the activity for itself. All the money savings in the world are worthless if you hate pulling the lever on your press or pouring into that mold.

It's not for everyone.
>>
>>33780938
thanks again.
>>
I'm brand new to reloading and I need some help. I'm a poor collegefag and just got a SMLE. What would be the cheapest set to begin reloading .303 with?
>>
>>33778770
Some of my buddies ask for ammo, I just have them pay for cost of materials and they come help make them. Pretty much just emulate factory loads that way, occasionally I'll make up something custom for their gun.
>>
>>33780959
I totally understand that, but it IS a counterpoint to the whole
>I don't care what your particular scenario is, it's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to save money
argument that was presented in this thread and every other reloading thread /k/'s ever had.

Also especially considering /k/ is populated by neets and most of the board makes less than $20 an hour ON TOP of not being willing to have an actual nights/weekends job.

As to your other points:
>cost of equipment
Under $300 buying everything commercially, under $100 if you make the smelting pot yourself
>time to lube
30 seconds per ~250 bullets using tumble lube (liquid alox) or 30 seconds plus 20 unsupervised minutes to bake for powdercoat.

Sizing is what takes a while, but you're really supposed to (re)size commercial cast too and isn't technically 100% required for either unless your mould is out of spec.
>>
>>33780851
I clicked that link twice. The first ad was a bullet casting process from start to finish, all done in slow motion. The second was someone using a CNC machine to start, and other power tools and a blowtorch to finish, a fucking ice swan bong.

Last night I was looking at feeding habits and mandible secretions of the Weta.

What the absolute fuck is this site driving me to read/see?
>>
>>33780294
Hornady is usually under powdered when compared with Hodgdon or RCBS, I find myself never really using their data except to cross check. My question is why?
>>
>>33781026
steven, you're not well.

But we need you to participate in this experience or the data will be invalid.

Please, don't ask such questions. If we're having problems with our set, ignore them, please.

You know what this means to her.
>>
File: 71qQTWKy0kL._SL1500_[1].jpg (221KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71qQTWKy0kL._SL1500_[1].jpg
221KB, 1500x1500px
How is this for a starter kit?
>>
>>33781065
>Lee
It's shit.

The press is shit, the powder dropper is SUPER shit, the scale is accurate but slow and fiddly, the case trimmer is literally unusable for more than 5 rounds in a row, and the chamfer tool woorks but is outclassed by the Lyman VLD tool (which also cleans and reams primer pockets).

Also, quick-change bushings are a bad idea. They always work loose, and the Lee version is significantly more shit than the Hornady version, so it will work loose much faster.

Literally the only thing worth money in that kit is the powder funnel, which you can get on Amazon for $3.
>>
>>33778770
One of the fundamentals of reloading is never to let people shoot your handloads. It's a cosmic rule that no matter how much you double check and triple check, it will turn into a glocknade the moment you hand it to someone else. I keep some factory ammo on hand if someone wants to try my gun at the range.
>>
>>33781065
That's great as far as contents, I don't know about quality of Lee's other stuff but I didn't like their dies. Get RCBS tungsten carbide or Hornady dies for reloading handgun rounds, case blocks and Hornady one shot for case lube, you'll be glad you did.
>>
>>33781140
I've never heard of that, I've made thousands of rounds for friends and family but maybe I'm just the next statistic waiting to happen. I used to work in an assay lab though so I have a stronger grasp of the related concepts than some I guess.

This is me:
>>33781005
>>
>>33781140
That is fundamentally bullshit. I have been reloading for over 25yrs. I've never blown anything or anyone up.

The key is to have a procedure that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to use incorrect components or overcharge a case.

I got learned by an expert as a young 'un. I realize some of you guys who were raised by noguns maroons are having to learn yourselves. God speed padawans.
>>
>>33781109
Any alternatives to this thats an affordable & entry level?
>>
>>33780996
A Lee Loader kit. They're perfect for poorfag beginners with more time than money and you get them them for 40-50 bucks on Canadian amazon.

It has everything you need except a cudgel.
>>
>>33780765
Rimmed straight-walled revolver cases are some of the easiest to reload. They are forgiving of bullet shape and powder charge and don't require you to hunt them down after firing them.
>>
>>33781033
>Hornady is usually under powdered when compared with Hodgdon or RCBS
The worst for under powered by the manual is Lyman. I have their manual to cross check and because I like to shoot a lot of snowflake ammo.

>My question is why?
One word LAWYERS.
>>
>>33781198
I got most of my stuff used from a friend but you can usually find stuff in local classifieds. Otherwise I'd say buy one cry once and get the Hornady classic kit, comes with everything you need pretty much. They also have promotions every year where you can get free bullets off them for buying their stuff and they have THE BEST customer service.
>>
>>33781240
Fucking lawyers always gotta ruin the fun. I almost always use Hodgdon's online data nowadays, has tons of info and even has pressures listed.
>>
>>33781198
Option one is to shop used. RCBS keeps its value well so look at Lyman or Dillon's old single-stage (which has almost entirely been forgotten).

Option two would be a new-bought Lyman Crusher for $110. It's actually better than the RCBS Rock Chucker yet it's cheaper. Buy a mid-range digital scale for ~$50 or an RCBS 5-0-5 or 5-0-2 for between $80 and $90, a Hornady LnL powder dropper for $45, the Lyman chamfer/deburr tool for $10, and a Little Crow WFT for $50. Yes it will be slightly more expensive but you can piece it together as you can, and it will be orders of magnitude better than what you'd get with the Lee kit.
>>
File: pumpgirl.gif (56KB, 221x283px) Image search: [Google]
pumpgirl.gif
56KB, 221x283px
>>33781265
>TFW you inherited over a dozen reloading manuals ranging in age 20-75 years old.

TRUE POWER LEVELS REALIZED MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>33781065
I started with that kit. I ended up replacing almost all of the kit over time. I will be honest, Lee is in general the lowest quality you should accept for hand-loading equipment.
As for the contents:
>Press
Unless you are cranking out thousands of rounds a year (and if you are, look into a progressive press) it will suit your needs. The only reason I replaced my Lee press is it won't fit 577/450 dies but most presses on the market won't fit them either.
>Powder Measure
Works OK for fine sherical powders (like Power Pistol or H335) but any stick powders (4064 or Varget) it hangs up or throws way off charges. I still use mine, supplemented by a Hornady and Lyman measures.
>Scale
I replaced that the first night. The Lee scale just felt too finicky and if you read any reviews, almost all say to avoid the lee scale.
>Priming system
The next best thing to using a hand primer. Can be really finicky when down to the last few primers.

>>33781140
Its a fundamental rule that you don't shoot others handloads unless you know their reloading practices.

>>33781265
>>33781319
You should check out stevespages. It was made by an old hand-loader (who has since passed but the site is still up) and looks very early 2000s but he compiled a bunch of reloading manuals into a convenient place.
>>
File: AP.jpg (504KB, 2155x1212px) Image search: [Google]
AP.jpg
504KB, 2155x1212px
R8 my poorfag town house setup. I just made my first batch of .308, hoping I get some decent results.
>>
>>33780996
>>33781204
Pick up the case care kit and the trimmer pilot, you dont NEED them, but they make your amunition much more consistant,

Research this on your own, but a friend of mine pulls down surplus 7.62x39 and uses the powder and bullet to make light loads for his enfield, he sizes and primes his brass, pulls one round of 7.62x39, dumps the powder in the 303 case, and seats the bullet to the crimp groove, works great. His only reloading equipment is a lee classic loader, and a kinetic puller
>>
File: 1485372115721.jpg (79KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
1485372115721.jpg
79KB, 576x768px
>>33778770
>homebrew
>make you blind
Are people who shit on making things at home while knowing what you are doing the retards of the internet?
>hey man those reloads will blow up your gun
>hey man somehow brewing leads to high enough menthol content to blind you

Do you go to a shoe store to get your shoes tied?
>>
File: 1478818417999s.jpg (7KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
1478818417999s.jpg
7KB, 250x202px
>>33780851
Thats actually really neat and I feel bad for assuming you were trolling with the pencil lead.
>>
>>33777225
>Anyone here do their own casting?

Yup revolver, slugs, musket balls

Lee moulds and a gas hob

>>33777404
For some bp I use pure lead, wheel weight lead is not ideal for everything it is quite hard
>>
>>33782434
ok, that's pretty neat.
>>
>>33782434
>>33782829
I should clarify he uses non corrosive boxer primers, s&b i believe, to prime his 303 brass
>>
File: img_20170225_111821.jpg (3MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
img_20170225_111821.jpg
3MB, 2988x5312px
>>33777225
My first ever batch of 56-50 Spencer.
>>
File: 90811.jpg (64KB, 157x500px) Image search: [Google]
90811.jpg
64KB, 157x500px
>>33781065
It's fine. The only thing I wouldn't get is the balance beam scale, because although they work well enough, they're slow as fuck to use. Get a good digital scale. Also, the powder measure pictured is decent in that it works well enough, but leaks fine grain powder. The auto-drum measure is better in every regard though.

>>33781109
Don't listen to this faggot. It doesn't even know that Lee's quick change bushing is locked in by a sping detent, and that it's physically impossible to loosen without intending to do so. Lee stuff generally works as well if not better than everyone else, despite sometimes being rough around the edges its usually well though out.
>>
>>33782972
>>>33781109 Don't listen to this faggot.

Agree

Lee make decent moulds.
>>
>>33782434
That sounds great. I have a good amount of x39 laying around. I'm assuming it doesn't matter that it's wolf?
>>
>>33777311
Do you do the harbor freight powdercoat kit I have seen in YouTube?
>>
>>33782972
>The only thing I wouldn't get is the balance beam scale, because although they work well enough, they're slow as fuck to use

As you said, balance beams are slow. But I would still keep one on hand so you can double-check your electric scale every once in a while. Electric scales are easily damaged and their calibration can drift. Make sure you frequently check your electric scale to make sure it's staying true.
>>
>>33780558
The math gets good real fast when you are looking into shooting supressed 300blk. To get good function and subsonic velocities the bullet needs to be 200+ grains, but most available 200 plus grain 30 caliber bullets are way overbuilt for subsonic pressures, most of them being designed for 30.06+ pressures. So they are unessesarily expensive for their task. This is part of the reason memeout ammo is so expensive. I have not fucked with casting bit it gets alot more attractive when subsonic weight bullets are over 50 cents each.
>>
>Lead poisoning
No thanks.
>>
>>33781555
Same as my poorfag basement setup/10

Are you having to nudge the shell plate slightly when cycling the press? I thought I just had a effective shellplate until other plates started doing the same thing. Sometimes the press indexes correctly, but more often than not, it stops a little short on the down stroke and needs a slight nudge to click into place.
>>
Defective*
>>
>>33784067
sounds like a job for /diy/
>>
>>33784067
Try oiling it after cleaning it with some ballistol.
>>
>>33783286
I dont know what he was using aside from surplus from a can, sometimes he would bring over a bunch of paper packages and have me push the bullet into the case .005 on my press to break the crimp so it would pull easier
>>
>>33777225
Who here swages their own bullets? It sounds like my kind of autistic hobby.
>>
>>33785630
i have a Lyman bullet sizer/lubricator for .45. i load .45-70, and have dies for .45 Colt
>>
>>33785644
I was thinking more involved, like at least a gas check, if not jacketed. Is Corbin overpriced garbage or is it ligit? The information seems good, although the RBT shilling is suspicious, since no one makes them.
>>
Is it worth it to swag the barrel/chamber of my milsurp or should i just buy whatever sized bullet theyre suppose to use?
>>
>>33786223
It is not a necessity unless you plan to cast for it. If you are having accuracy issues, it can explain some of them.
>>
>>33786240
Nah, i just started reloading so im fine with buying factory bullets for now. One of the old guys i was talking to at the store said he swags all his guns but i could see him casting his own.
>>
>>33785859
It's diminishing returns for things like swages and moulds. If you NEED to get a bullet down just right with just the right balance and weight you should go for that but Lee is fine and everyone standardized on thread pitches years ago.

For things like forming dies and seaters you might do well to go up a tier from Lee to Hornady or RCBS but Lee is good enough
>>
>>33786223
For a couple rifles, it's vital. I believe it's the Gewehr 88 rifles that originally had a .318 bore but some had a new .323 barrel installed later on when they made tweaks to the ammo. Another is the Carcano rifle in 6.5, their bore tends to be larger than standard .264, most sit around .267-.268, some really loose ones sit at .269. So it can be important in certain cases to avoid accuracy problems/kabooms.
>>
>>33784067
Mine does too. I've tried oiling and even polishing the loader surface and the plate, and it still doesn't like to index fully unless I give the handle a sharp pull at the end of the stroke. Planning on calling Hornandy and bitching, even if I don't get a fix, I might get some free bullets out of it.
>>
>>33781370
What is a brand you would recommend for getting into reloading?
>>
>>33781555
why are you doing it next to a source of heat and electricity? a powered up tube amp seems like a bad idea right next to an open jar of powder
>>
>>33783854
So, is it possible to cannibalize some cheaper rounds like anon did with x39 to .303?
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.