[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

c4>cordite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: high velocity ammo.png (856KB, 926x540px) Image search: [Google]
high velocity ammo.png
856KB, 926x540px
Would a faster explosive work as a propellent? RDX has a detonation velocity 8,750 m/s vs 171–631 m/s of modern propellants. That's 13.9 times as fast. It would also be lighter and shorter as high explosive has a higher energy density to "gunpowder". The cons would be that the cartridge would be expensive and needs electricity to function. The gun itself would need a much stronger chamber and radically different bolt carrier system with a form of recoil reduction. In conclusion it would be sweet as fuck to have a 9mm with 18611j.
>>
>>33774081
OP, I think there's a certain limit before the projectile you're firing is shredded into dust.
>>
>>33774081
Chamber pressures would be significantly higher. It just isn't practical in rifle sizes.
>>
>>33774081
Gunpowder is cheap as fug, easy as fuck to set off, wouldnt need specialized cases, etc.
>>
>>33774120
Well yeah the projectile would need to to be stronger than the brisance of the explosive.
>>
>>33774140
>>33774141
It's not supposed be practical.
>>
>>33774171
And the barrel stronger than the shell of the projectile, at minimum.
>>
>>33774171
>brisance
>not the 1st reply
Damn, /k/ stop being dumb.
>>
>>33774081
You'd need a big barrel. I've thought about this too. I'd love to see a cannon like this.
>>
>>33775815
What im trying to figure out is the optimal amount of explosive that would work in a normal handgun barrel, something like a glock.
>>
File: 1322463998973.png (521KB, 1019x1331px) Image search: [Google]
1322463998973.png
521KB, 1019x1331px
>>33774081

velocity of combustion or detonation isn't what determines the final projectile velocity in a conventional firearm, it's the area under the pressure curve. broadly speaking, that is limited by the mechanical strength of the cartridge and the action, as well as the length of the barrel.

if you want to use explosives to drive a projectile, you want a shaped charge.
>>
>>33774081
the bullets would have to be made of some stupid material that would make barrel life a joke. the gun would be too heavy and retarded bulky and round would have to be caseless.
>>
>>33777420

Tungsten barrel
tungsten bullets
tungsten casing
tungsten firing pin
tungsten receiver

WE CAN DO IT
>>
>>33777490
That would be AK-2020. And AR-2020 would look more like:
Depleted uranium barrel
Depleted uranium bullets
Depleted uranium casing
Depleted uranium firing pin
Depleted uranium receiver
Tankette to carry the weight.
>>
>>33774081
At that point you'd be better off using a light gas gun.
>>
>>33777755
>checked
Maybe even a light gauss gun because fuck it we're in fantasy territory
>>
G11 caseless ammo used RDX as a propellant because it was heat insensitive. It had its own series of issues but I believe it's feasible enough to overcome them with more R&D.
>>
File: 3414312.gif (57KB, 750x507px) Image search: [Google]
3414312.gif
57KB, 750x507px
>>33774081
You don't need just faster explosive as gun propellant You need optimal burn speed so max pressure doesn't exceed structural pressure limit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.