[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright /k/. I got a question for you. a few years ago i posted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: gma.jpg (70KB, 446x596px) Image search: [Google]
gma.jpg
70KB, 446x596px
alright /k/. I got a question for you.

a few years ago i posted this picture and let you do a q&a with my grandma, who was a child on the eastern front on the german side during ww2.

anyway, since my grandma isn't getting any younger, and i feel like the stories she has, along with the stories of all people who lived through the conflict should be preserved for future generations, how should these stories be captured? should i somehow turn her life story into a book? or should i just somehow record her just talking about things in general? she came to the united states in 1947 i think, so there isn't much cold war tier stories. the escape over the iron curtain into west germany is pretty dope though.

>pic related; granted it's a few years old.
>>
>>33770995
>1947
had a brain fuck up, it was 1952 when they came here.
>>
>>33770995
You could make a documentary type video. The book idea doesn't sound half bad either
>>
>>33771274
>documentary type video
what would be the best way to do that? my editing / camera supplies are very limited.
>>
>>33771309
Just start filming and talking. Editing can be done at any time after. The actual raw footage us whats important now
>>
>>33771323
this is true. ill try to visit her later in the week and get something done, depending on how shes feeling too.
>>
File: armym14.jpg (14KB, 475x314px) Image search: [Google]
armym14.jpg
14KB, 475x314px
bumping for advice.

>pic unrelated.
>>
File: eastern front.jpg (11KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
eastern front.jpg
11KB, 304x166px
>>
>>33770995
If she speaks English well just set up the best camera you have in front of her and start recording. If you have to coax a story out of her make it more of an interview, but I definitely think video is best.

If you want, you can always transcribe it into written form later on, but you can't go the other way and turn text into video.
>>
>>33774416
>If she speaks English well

you would never know she lived in another country. she doesn't even have the slightest accent. I really want to do video, but the problem is, all i have for a camera is a ipod touch, and she's been in a nursing home recovering from surgery.
>>
>>33770995
your gramma is dr. ruth?
>>
>>33774473
lol they do look similar. I never noticed, but that's kinda funny.
>>
>>33774459
You can probably pick up a nice enough camera for a couple hundred bucks, especially if you look for used ones.

Put it this way, is a few hundred dollars now going to hurt you more than losing her stories forever? Just go on newegg or amazon and buy the highest rated video camera for under $200 or whatever you can afford. My grandparents were in a country band and we have some of their old recordings on casette, but my parents have them and they don't know shit about storing anything safely. Now I'm worried they'll be destroyed the next time I visit them because I was too lazy to record them to my computer last time I was there.

If she's recovering in a nursing home I'm sure she'd love to do this just to have something to do, if nothing else. I'm sure a few other people there wouldn't mind doing it either, and who knows, some of them might have cool stories too.

Also, tell her a random autist on the internet hopes she gets better soon and wouldn't mind hearing her stories if they ever get uploaded.
>>
Record as much as you can, once they're gone you'll always have questions.

>tfw all my grandparents lived under Japanese occupation and only learned about it until it was too late

So many questions.
>>
Location? I would lend my photo and video capturing abilities if your somehow in California.
>>
>>33774518
>Also, tell her a random autist on the internet hopes she gets better soon and wouldn't mind hearing her stories if they ever get uploaded.

your kind words are much appreciated, anon.

a few of my friends have met her, and they love the stories too. shes flirted with the idea of writing a book, but "the stories would give people nightmares, and no one wants to hear the things I've seen." since arthritis makes writing very difficult and painful for her in these past 15 years or so, i doubt she'll do it.

if you guys want, i can type some of the things shes told me over the years?

>>33774576
as much as that would be appreciated, we live in CT. I would love to have these stories documented by people that appreciate history as much as I do.
>>
>>33774627
record them, and not just for k. save them, then publish them privately or on amazon or shop it around. this history is disappearing.
>>
>>33775074
>publish them privately or on amazon or shop it around.

It's not even about the money. everyone deserves the ability to hear and appreciate these stories. I'd feel kinda scummy for using it as a money making ploy.

would /k/ like to hear one? i have a few memorized, most of them are just life stories. most she told me don't have to do with the fighting. most of these are very short.

>the first time she saw a real life black person
(kinda just funny because of the way she said it. not very long)

>the time she experienced a poltergeist
(just strange)

>the escape across the iron curtain
(she never told me too much about this one, just because it gives here goosebumps still)

>January 20th, 1945
(probably the most surreal story)

>time she almost got killed by logs
(was living in a german garrison, and almost got crushed to death.)

>the time her aunt saw an "angel"
(im an athiestfag, but this one even sends a shiver down my spine when i think about it.)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.