[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FAL vs G3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2451.jpg (22KB, 700x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2451.jpg
22KB, 700x180px
What is the difference between the FAL and G3? Also which one should i get?
>>
I got that image straight from google idk why it is upside down.
>>
File: lena-dunham.jpg (343KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
lena-dunham.jpg
343KB, 1000x1500px
>>33764389
Bumping for info. I too want to know what the difference is.
>>
File: Fal.jpg (771KB, 2859x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Fal.jpg
771KB, 2859x2000px
Do you want a rifle that you dont have to tune it for each ammo type you put thru it.If yes you want a G3.
Do you wish to retake Zimbabwe for the glory of Rhodesia.If yes congratulations you have chosen a true white mans rifle.
>Short shorts no included
>>
>>33764389
The difference is that the g3 is better
>>
FAL is sexier

who doesn't like manly men in short shorts
>>
>>33764389
G3 is more accurate. Also exsts in other calibers other than 7.62mm NATO.
FAL has bolt catch, is also right arm of the free world.
>>
Plenty of Ĝ3s used in Rhodesia, too.
G3 magazines are < $4
FAL magazines are not < $4
FALs definitely cooler, but if its purpose is SHTF GTG battle rifle with plenty of mags, I'd go with the G3 design, like the PTR91 GI R
>>
One is $900, the other is $1,600. One has $2-5 mags, the other has $20-40 mags. One is used by Germany/Scandinavia, the other is the poster child of Cold War era NATO.

Unless you're getting into National Match competitions or something then either will do. Neither one is particularly accurate at long ranges. You'll still be able to hit man-sized targets at even 500 meters, but dont expect to put all 20 rounds through the same hole in the target.

Personally I like guns that have historical relevance, which is why I have an FAL on order along with a parts kit for building later. However if I didn't care about that, and just wanted a battle rifle, then I'd get a G3. Specifically a PTR91 GI. G3 is marginally more accurate (not that I'd be able to tell), is cheaper, and has cheaper mags. But by the time you've gotten all the cool extra shit for it (like a bipod and a wide handguard, and paddle mag release if it didn't have one allready, etc...) then you're only saving $200ish by getting it instead of the FAL.
>>
>>33764414
I'd let her dick the patriarchy right out of me.
>>
>>33764414
This is one of the worst photos I've ever looked at

I don't even mean that as an attack, just objective fact. I'm impressed by how bad she looks
>>
>>33764389
No one's brought up the main feature of each rifle yet.

For the FAL it's ergonomics--the FAL's main selling point is that it doesn't have the piss awful ergonomics of the G3.

For the G3 it's durability. That roller-delayed blowback action is fucking rugged and you could fire it in a sandstorm all day.

However, that action has a few downsides--because of the way it works you have more felt recoil ("HK slap"), and it mangles the fuck out of your brass.

So: If you have little money, aren't a reloader, love recoil and ergonomics can go get fucked, get the G3.

If you aren't obsessed with torture testing your rifle, hate money, love reloading, and love short shorts? FN FAL.
>>
G3 is an uncouth, German wench you find on a street corner; FAL is the sophisticated, unassuming, Belgian chick you'd find in a book store.
>>
>>33764414
>Tfw no disgusting smell Jewess to pull the covers over and gas on taco night
>>
>>33766437
>because of the way it works you have more felt recoil ("HK slap"),

HK slap is the action you do to release the charging handle. It doesn't describe recoil.
>>
>>33766528
>>33766437
and the FN rifle is the one that mangles brass.
>>
>>33764389
Owned both

Personally think the FAL is better looking and recoil is nicer

Mags are easier to insert, has a BHO, easier safety, has carry handle, simpler to break down

>>33764509
or just turn it up and you don't have to tune it at all

>>33764635
I bought my FAL mags for $6 and you can get Koreans which work fine for $12
>>
>>33766437
>-because of the way it works you have more felt recoil ("HK slap")

newfags shouldn't post
>>
>>33767474
He had the right idea, but it seems he muddled the facts up in his head when trying to remember what another anon who actually owns the rifle, said.
>>
>>33767482
had he not posted that it'd have been a reasonable post
>>
>>33764414
Wasn't she thinner at some point? I don't think I've ever watched anything she's done, but it's a vague recollection.
>>
I think the G3 is the more refined of the two, but the ergos will suck ass and most clones of it suck ass as well. the FAL is more iconic and you can probably find good kits and parts on the cheap, but the rifle itself is pretty shit, since it was hastily upsized to shot the .308/7.62 cartridge.
>>
>>33764389
>>33764414
>>33764509
If you want to get REALLY technical, the G3 uses a roller locking delayed blowback system, and will last about 50,000 rounds (based on MP-5 which is like mini G3) before the receiver needs to be replaced, as the rollers will eventually form dimples in the receiver from slamming outward into the side, causing the bolt to lock in the rear of the receiver.

The FAL by comparison uses a piston operated tilting breach block design, it's simpler, and the gas system can be tuned if you need more pressure when fouled, less when suppressed, though opening it all the way typically causes stovepipes. The FAL receiver also has a lengthy period of longevity. now for the compare and contrast.

Both are mechanically capable of full auto, the FAL may be issued with a type A selector allowing the use of the full auto function, or a type C selector, preventing it. The G3 will be issued in full auto unless it's a specialized variant. They both fire the 7.62X51MM cartridge and can both take a carry handle. The one on the FAL is objectively more aesthetic, however.

Controls on the FAL are placed better, with the selector just within thumbs reach for setting to fire without adjusting your grip, the charging handle is placed easily within reach and in a good spot for extra leverage, the magazine release is a paddle release, activated with relative ease by use of the trigger finger, and the bolt hold open device can be toggled with the left hand during reloads.

The G-3's selector is a bit longer, and higher in relation to the hand, meaning you will have to break fire control grip to actuate it. The G3 has no bolt hold open device, and thus requires manipulation of the charging handle in every loading, often requiring you to break shoulder contact to reach the handle, as it is very far forward. The magazine release is a center line paddle, absent on many sporting variants, and is placed perfectly. Both use aperture sights and group around 3MOA stock.
>>
>>33767647
g3 is more reliable and has an inherently more accurate system
this is basically AK vs AR, except in this case the ar has worse accuracy
>>
>>33767676
It is a potentially more accurate system, while you CAN make it more accurate, a nothing special G3 and a nothing special FAL will both typically shoot with accuracy on parity. PTR's are made with newer tooling and measuring instruments, allegedly with small changes to the receiver for more rigidity, if THEY are to be believed. In any case, the G-3 has more parts that can be improved than an FAL, because of the crude manner of the function of the FAL's trigger and placements of the sights and receiver attachment points.

Three 76's... is that a kind of get? When you get a two digit number three times?
>>
>>33767742
a 850 ptr is as accurate as a $2000 FAL?
meh
>>
>>33767779
or a $1,000 FAL. there's really no reason not to just get a DSA voyager unless you're really on about the difference between cast and forged. but... yeah. Stamped guns are cheap. who'd a thought.
>>
Psst, can anyone..Smuggle a sexy FAL to a Norway bro?
Weapon Restrictions are truly feelsbadman
>>
>>33767842
Hi ATF
>>
>>33767470
What's a BHO? Sorry, pretty new to this stuff.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (167KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
167KB, 1920x1080px
>>33768970

Bolt-hold-open. Whether or not your rifle will hold it's bolt back.

The FAL is nice in the fact that the bolt holds back after the last round is fired, and a mag can be inserted and a button depressed to let the bolt go forward, rather than having to cycle the action manually.

The G3 requires you to do the latter. However, there is a notch where a user can manually hold the bolt open if you pull it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-NfNWg2ho

Start at 0:50, and notice the differences when having to chamber a new round. The AR-15 (like the FAL) holds open automatically when the final round is expended from a magazine, and there's a button on the side of the receiver that you can press that lets the bolt forward, chambering another round when a fresh mag is inserted. As you can see, it cuts down on reload times.

Meanwhile the G3's bolt must be pulled back manually on the last round, increasing reload time.

(As a side note, the AK is not BHO, but the guy is using mags that hold the bolt open, which are pretty useless since they let the bolt forward after you pull them out).

Hope that clears things up.
>>
>>33769026
the point of the AK BHO mags is you know when the mag is empty by feel instead of dropping a hammer on an empty chamber
>>
>>33766548
False
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.