[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Project Appleseed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: appleseed-logo[1].gif (4KB, 141x126px) Image search: [Google]
appleseed-logo[1].gif
4KB, 141x126px
I've been thinking about going to a Project Appleseed event to up my marksmanship game.

If I bring a tube-fed bolt- or lever-action .22lr with PVC speed load tubes, am I going to have a bad time? I have AK and AR pattern rifles, but .22lr is cheaper than 7.62x39mm or .223 REM.

What has been /k/'s experience with Project Appleseed?
>>
File: slide2[1].jpg (386KB, 1230x659px) Image search: [Google]
slide2[1].jpg
386KB, 1230x659px
Anyone not familiar with Appleseed can read more about it at https://appleseedinfo.org/
>>
>>33762307
Most all of the shooting you do will be in the prone position- lever action, especially tube-loading is awkward af especially when there's time restrictions. You'll have a much better time with the cheapest semi-auto .22 you can find.

Otherwise Project Appleseed is a blast. All the basics are covered if you're inexperienced, and if you are experienced your skills will be refined.
>>
>>33763425
Thanks, guess it's time to sell some of the old bolt guns and buy a semi-auto.
>>
>>33763425
Pretty much what this guy said, although my suggestion is if you're even semi-competent at shooting bring two guns, and one of them can be your bolt/lever action guns. I had minimal rifle experience before I went, pretty much just regular shooting at the range, and got the "coveted" rifleman patch right away with a friend's borrowed 10/22. You take the test over and over again, especially the second day and luckily I brought my mosin along and played with that the second day. I was way too slow for the sitting portion of the test but had a blast with that thing, and everyone else got a kick out of watching me try to keep up.

You could do it with just your bolt/lever action, but you probably wont get the patch, if you're into that kind of thing. I think it would still be fun though, and next time I go I probably still won't have a semi-auto .22. More important than the gun I think is having a sling, an optic, and at least two magazines or loading devices because they have requirements like loading a 2rd and 8 rd.
>>
>>33763425
This, other than it being really cold that day and being faced with the horrifying reality that I'm not as good of a shot as I thought I was, I had a great time there. And I do feel like I've improved significantly.
>>
>>33763950
What are the time requirements for the rifleman patch? Might be fun to try to get it with a bolt gun.
>>
>>33764004
I don't remember exactly. It's four strings of fire that go something like
>90 sec standing, 2 targets, 10 rds with 2x5 mags
>50 sec sitting, 3 targets, 10 rds with 1x2 and 1x8 mags
>2 min prone, 4 targets, 10 rds with 1x2 and 1x8 mags
>5 min prone, 4 targets, 10 rds 1x10 mag

That's probably not accurate, and I'm sure you can find it on the website but that's the general idea. Some things to note are that your gun is empty when you say fire, so you have to factor in an extra reload, the targets get smaller each string, and you start in the standing position for all of them. The sitting one is the hardest because it's so short. Pretty much just shoot as fast as you can because even with semi auto it's hard to fit your shots in. When I used my mosin the most I got was 7 shots off my first try (with horrible accuracy) and as I got more fatigued I got less and less shots off throughout the day.
>>
>>33764070
>I'm sure you can find it on the website
Maybe I'm just mentally deficient, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try shooting from sitting before I go, that's something I never really practice: I shoot from standing, sitting at the bench, prone, and rice paddy prone.
>>
>>33764155
Sounds like you're gonna be ahead of the curve when you get there already. I'm sure if you practice a bit beforehand you'll have a pretty good shot at nabbing the patch, I found this site with more info and a pic of the test target, so if you just run through it beforehand with a timer you can see how you'd do. If you do manage with a bolt gun that'll be really impressive, good luck.

google stu-offroad appleseed for the site.
>>
File: Savage_5,5A,5B,66C,86C_schem[1].jpg (123KB, 720x509px) Image search: [Google]
Savage_5,5A,5B,66C,86C_schem[1].jpg
123KB, 720x509px
>>33764402
>google stu-offroad appleseed for the site.
Found it, thanks.

I'm really looking forward to this, think I might swing by a hardware store tomorrow to get some pipe to make a speed reload tube for my Stevens 86D, or maybe just order a new C clip to fix the extraction issues on my Savage Mark II and pick up a spare magazine.
>>
Appleseed bolt gun guy here. It's harder and more satisfying on the rapid stages. Also, a CZ or Savage should outshoot a 10/22 on Stage 4.

I'd just take your favorite rifle regardless of what it is. I took my 452 to my first shoot and had a ton of fun.

Its definitely doable with a bolt, I patched out my first weekend. Its not a handicap if you understand that you need to work quickly.
>>
>>33765235
Thanks appleboltbro, I'll be sure to post here after Appleseed with results.
>>
>>33762307
did the appleseed with an m1.

you really want to avoid tube fed rifles if you want to shoot the score. It's too much of a handicap in the reloads and you'll run out of time unless you're autisticly quick. you can still do it but getting your rifleman patch will be very very difficult. I had a bit of a time with the clips on the m1 since there are stages of fire that require you to start with 2 rounds. fumbling with a 2 round clip to load was a learning experience for sure but slowed me down. I got the hang of it but I transitioned to my 10/22 when i got antsy to shoot the score on the last set. I can't imagine having to pull the guide rod out, load 2 rounds, install guide rod, shoot 2 rounds, pull guide rod, load 8 rounds, install guide rod, and finish the course of fire in time while still doing every thing they taught me to shoot accurately.

The course is made for a mag fed rifle but you can still do it with a tube just for the learning experience and fun. It'll be funny as fuck if you score close to your mag fed constituents
>>
>>33766846
Course of fire for tube-fed rifles is different. Shoot boss will tell you to load 11, and then jack out a live round to simulate the reload while shooting the stage (provided you have a tube that big). Or that is what is in the manual, anyway - deviation happens at SB discretion.

Semiauto tube-fed rifles have an advantage over mag-fed rifles, on paper. Much faster to simulate the reload.

Also, if you have 5-round mags instead of 10s (flush-fit CZ mags, for example), the COF becomes shoot 5, reload, shoot 5 rather than 2/8. As long as you can get through a string of 10 rounds, they'll work with you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.