[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: based.jpg (136KB, 1281x676px) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
136KB, 1281x676px
Hello everyone,
I searched the catalog on reloading topics and did not find anything.
What do you guys use for reloading ammo? Is it worth it?
I am completely new to reloading, but would like to learn to do it myself. Any good starting points/equipment?
I watched based hicock45's video on the basics and trying to decide if I want to go with a single stage or progressive.
>>
>>33759844
The reason you not going ro see a reloading thread on here is all the kommandos are wannabe operators that block mental complex to understand loading.

Reloading doesnt really save you any money. If youre wanting to get more accuracy out of your rifle or tune a load for you rifle because your shooting some 3gun or 2gun matches.
>>
>>33759947
Most importantly I am interested in learning how to do it above all other factors. I understand it might not save money or I might fubar some rounds.
>>
>>33759844
Johnnys reloading bench on youtube is a good place to start. Get a Lee Challenger kit for cheap and follow his videos and you'll be cranking match grade boolits in notime.

I'm reloading .357, .38, 6.5x55 and 30-06 on mine and the savings per 100 rounds are substantial with .357 and 30-06.
I get at least twice the amount of rounds compared to factory ammo with regular fmj's.
>>
Keeping an eye on this thread.
>>
>>33760019

What kind of reloading are you wanting to learn?

Pistol? Learn how to load simple reliable rounds. Load your own home define roads or super light target load. Learn you cast your bullets from old car batteries?

Shotgun? That covers to much to even get into here. Customizing your shot and load to anything you want to do

Rifle? Unless you shooting in some kind of match or just have something really special, like a prairiedog rifle or a wildcat, long range, subsonic or supper heavy loads.

Depending on what you want to do dictates the type of equipment you need
>>
>>33760195
What if all I have is milsurp with heavy rifle rounds like .303 british, 8mm, and 7.5x55?
>>
>>33760267
Get surplus ammo. It as literally made for your rifle. A noob isn't going reload anything better or half a good
>>
>>33760320
What about Mauser food? Surplus seems to have dried for that. Prvi is charging .75 a round for it now.
>>
>>33759844
>Is it worth it?
It literally depends on your job and how much your time is worth.
You have to make a value judgement.
It also depends on what relpoading equipment you are using and what you are reloading.

>tl;dr
use excel
>>
>>33760267
>heavy rifle rounds like .303 british, 8mm, and 7.5x55
What the fucking hell are you talking about. Thats not a heavy round. Heavy would 50bmg. 30-06 is light, Infantry.

Are you 12?
>>
>>33760342
>Mauser food?
Can't beside if bait or your just in high school and think that riflenis worth trying to get accuracy out of
>>
>>33760267
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDL9tUnfVQ&list=PLTTrjvDib94l4NNyug0efjXsXokBksmRa

Start by watching this series in its entirety.
If all you have are old milsurps, i'd suggest building up a stock of boxer primed brass in the relevant calibers before getting into reloading.
>>33760342
Reloading will be cheaper than Prvi and more expensive than cheap surplus.

>>33760385
Are you autistic?
50BMG is light rifle, 20mm Vulcan would be heavy.
>>
File: 837.png (197KB, 2500x1645px) Image search: [Google]
837.png
197KB, 2500x1645px
>>33760415
>50BMG is light rifle, 20mm Vulcan would be heavy.
>>
>>33760415
>thinks Lee equipment is worth your time using.

If Harbor Freight sold reloading paraphernalia
>>
File: 08 - 4fNTyVQ.jpg (88KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
08 - 4fNTyVQ.jpg
88KB, 1080x1440px
>>33760414
I don't really care too much about making it a sub moa gun, that's not really how it should be used anyway. Here's the (you) anyway for trying to frame that otherwise.

>>33760415
I can't find surplus anymore online, guy in my area doesn't sell Turkish stuff anymore. My main caveat is that my K98 refuses to use Romanian modern production because it's going to break the extractor off because it gets stuck after firing pretty consistently. I would just reload to make dimensions similar to the WW2 ammo. I don't have this issue whatsoever with an interwar Mauser I have.

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammo-sale/8mm-mauser-ammo
>>
>>33760195
I would be reloading common rounds like .223 and 9mm.
>>
I'm looking to get into reloading as I'm getting a rifle in .45-70, and quite frankly can't afford to shoot factory loads with the amount I like to shoot.
How's this shopping list look for equipment?
>RCBS Rock Chucker supreme master kit
>Digital scale to go with it
>Die set
I've found a bloke who makes lead bullets between 300-500 grain for fairly cheap, so I'm good on that front, but I'd need primers and powder.
I've got a book on the basic principles of reloading and a bunch of reloading data, but I'm a stupid cunt who can't learn too good from a book with so few pictures in it, so I figured I'd just get a setup and follow the recipes so I could learn by doing, as is the way I prefer to learn.
I also gather that it will be a fine calibre to start with, as it's straight-walled?
>>
>>33760491
So your going to drop 400USD on equipment another 120 in supplies to reload something you can readily get off the shelf for about 0.15 a round cheaper?

Might want to think about why you're approaching this.
>>
>>33760573
Reloading isnt for stupid cunts. 40-70 isnt something that it fun to shoot much
>>
>>33760523
Then take the money you would spent on a press and buy bulk ammo. You will save money
>>
>>33760320
>Get surplus ammo
Lolno. This is terrible advice for most milsurp rifles. For one, surplus ammo in many calibers isn't cheap. It's also almost always corrosive, which is a bigger pain in the ass than reloading. Also, it's not widely available in many calibers.

Short answer, if you shoot milsurp you should reload. It will save you money, it will be better ammo, and it will be much more available to you.
>>
>>33760575
>off the shelf for about 0.15 a round cheaper

That's not really the situation I'm coming from. Almost all the stores if they hold the ammo it's specifically expensive $2 hunting ammo that Remington makes. I actually think reloading would be interesting regardless, not going to do within the near future but want to eventually.

>>33760607
Yeah I agree, I think getting marginally better ammo and learning how to perfect it for the rifle is long term a better plan.
>>
>>33760491
That is absolutely doable.

>>33760573
The digital scale is a good idea.
You need a way to trim the fired brass to the correct O.A.L eventually as well.
Also, get some plastic storage boxes for 45-70 and a kinetic bullet puller. Will save you many a headache.

>>33760575
>>33760591

Is it spring break in the USA?
>>
http://www.luckygunner.com/8mm-mauser-170-grain-fmj-pw-arms-720-rounds#rid=AmmoSeek

Can reload much cheaper then that and shitload cheaper when you factor in buying a press
>>
>>33760650
Do you own a k98 or ww2 era gun? This is just repackaged Romanian shit which will not work well.
>>
>>33760573
While I prefer digital scales and use one myself, the balance scale in the RCBS kit is probably the best value for a scale out there. Just avoid their Chargemaster scales. It's a waste of money.
>>
>>33760591
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think you underestimate how much I like to shoot and how expensive ammo is here. I do hear a lot of hubbub about the recoil, but surely it's manageable with some lighter loads?
>>33760639
Brass trimmer, storage boxes and kinetic bullet puller, alright. I kinda took it for granted, but I suppose I'll be needing my calipers too, to measure overall length and checking that the bullet is seated correctly?
>>
>>33760639
So you are saying a self-proclaimed stupid cunt should be playing qith shit he clearly doesnt understand?
>>
>>33760650
Gee, for only $0.08 ($0.53/rnd) more I can have full power loads that aren't garbage and won't bind my action because of poor dimensioning.
>>33760701
>I'll be needing my calipers too, to measure overall length and checking that the bullet is seated correctly?
Yup.
>>
I reload for 30-30. Mostly because I wanted some gallery loads I could use to dick around with without earpro.
>>
>>33760701
>I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think you underestimate how much I like to shoot and how expensive ammo is here. I do hear a lot of hubbub about the recoil, but surely it's manageable with some lighter loads

Lol. Have fun. You clearly know more than I.

Nothing like shooting a modestly weighted rifle with heavy recoil. Shooting that a few hundred times... Nothing like it it the world
>>
>>33760701
What 45-70 gat are we talking about?
A 45-70 derringer is wrist-breaking.
A 18-20inch levergat with a brass reciever is tremendously satisfying.
Calipers is a must-have when reloading too yeah. 45-70 is going to be pretty intuitive with lead bullets though.
Usually they have a crimp-groove that you have to aim for. Its pretty forgiving.
Do you know what kind of bullets your soviet connection can supply? Are they gas checked, lubed, coated etc.

>>33760780
>cant tell if skittish manlet or recoilbro
>>
>>33759844
My advice to the new guys is if you don't have a family member that can teach you, go to the local range and ask around with the old guys. Most of those guys are retired and don't want their hobby to disappear and lose their knowledge so they'll teach you. Just be polite and buy them a six pack or something as a thank you. Old people respect someone who makes an attempt to do things their generations way.
>>
>>33759947
>Reloading doesnt really save you any money
Are you smoking crack? If you shoot enough it most definably saves you money. I can easily reload full power 357 for less then 20 cents a round if I reuse brass. Thats $10 a box of 50 vs $20 for anemic garbage. The only way to save more is to not shoot at all. You can go even cheaper if you cast your own bullets.
>>
>>33760840
Not that guy, but you really don't save money. Say you used to spend $20 a range trip. Now you'll spend $20 a range trip but shoot twice as much. And you'll start to hoard reloading components. People who reload are usually fine with that, but just,dont expect to be saving a bunch of cash.
>>
>>33760804
I have a 458socom. Its not much fun to sit and shoot 50 rounds
>>
>>33760603
My approach is not saving money, but simply wanting to learn the skill and be able to efficiently reload. All I was asking about is a good beginner equipment and some tips/tricks.
>>
>>33760804
The gun in question is the Marlin 1895 SBL, and I'll probably put a limbsaver on it to get the correct LOP anyway. I'm taking it step by step, as it won't get here before June/July, so I'm just going by what I know and what the local fudd folk here care to tell me.
>Soviet connection
It's really just a friend of a friend of an acquaintance, so I'll need to wait and hear with him when I get around to talking with him.
>>
>>33760883
Rock chucker is a good start. Brut a couple manuals and read through them. I'd start with something like 38 spl out if a 357 because it will be very forgiving. And the bullets with have crimping grooves
>>
>>33760840
I am that guy. And any one on here is never going to shoot enough to justify the cost of all the equipment needed.

You have to shoot a lot to brake even. Unle you jave something special your lpading for it just isnt worth it
>>
>>33760883
lee classic loader. It will do everything you want
>>
>>33760943
Excellent, thank you! I will give this a shot.
>>
>>33760864
Like I said:
>The only way to save more is to not shoot at all.
If you actually shoot your guns you WILL save money. I'm going to be picking up a 44 mag soon. It should only cost a little bit more then my 357 loads. I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't already reload. Savings for other calibers and be even better. Then again stuff like 9mm and .223 are harder to save money on. I mean its like doubling your gas mileage.
>>
>>33760963
Wtf is this weeaboo serious?
>>
>>33760990
Thats a good analogy
>>
>>33760384
>how much your time is worth
I hear this a lot. I Can't just start making money at the drop of a hat. So my free time is pretty much worthless. If anything by reloading I make it worth something.
>>
Has anyone tried the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit?
>>
>>33760990
So how much do you have to shoot before the press, dies, scales, case trimer, tumbler, powder thrower, priming tool, micromiters, caliper, case luber,bullet puller, deburr tool and all the other tools start to pay for them selves and you really do 'save' money?
>>
>>33760864
If you shoot in any kind of volume you will be limited on range time and end up saving money. This is because you can reload during times you're physically not capable of shooting, such as after business hours.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mnndhhf4pk1qlrfzr.jpg (30KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mnndhhf4pk1qlrfzr.jpg
30KB, 500x336px
>>33761070
Man that is the best thing ever
>>
>>33761116
>after business hours
What country do you live in that you fags dont have 24hr ranges?
>>
>>33761106
Depends on caliber.

I originally set up to load .308 plinking ammo for an AR10. Bought a progressive press, decent digital scale, high-end dies and calipers (also wanted to load match ammo). All told about $700 in reloading equipment from scratch to full setup. Even when compared to the cheapest reman or surplus M80 ball it paid for itself in about 1700 rounds, which for me was about 8 months' worth of shooting. That was without spending time or effort searching for deals.

From there, since all I needed to change calibers was a shellplate and dies, my 9mm setup paid for itself in 180 rounds, my .45acp setup paid for itself in ~100 rounds, my .300wm setup paid for itself in 50 rounds, etc.

>>33761156
...the fucking US. Find me 1 fucking range that's open after 10pm or before 5am, or open 7 days a week 365 days a year motherfucker.

Sure I could go shoot on my farm/on BLM land in the dark. I don't have NODs so I'd literally just be burning powder out into the darkness with dubious safety. That doesn't really count.
>>
>>33761106
Depends on the calibers you shoot. I like shooting a lot so eventfully it will pay its self off. It's just a matter of time. If I ever get a 45-70 a lot sooner. I also find it a good healthy obsession. Instead of drinking I reload to decompress.
>>
>>33761180
>Find me 1 fucking range that's open after 10pm or before 5am, or open 7 days a week 365 days a year
The local gun clubs here in Texas. Indoor are 24hr every day of the year the out door is as long as there is light qhenever you want to let your self in.

I forget that most of you need a range for someone's there to supervise you
>>
>>33761253
State law here says the only time a firearm may be discharged more than 1/2 hour past sunset is either in self defense or in the pursuit of [a small number of different nocturnal species such as hogs and raccoons] and you have to be properly licensed for them, and the game wardens DO enforce it. So no going out and just blasting after hours, and 24/7 ranges are illegal all shooting must stop a half hour past whatever sunset is. As a result most ranges are only open from 10am to 6pm, since we're far enough north that's kinda pushing daylight hours in the winter.

Also almost all ranges here have at least 1 day a week they're closed, either to give the staff a day off (private ranges) or for maintenance (unstaffed DNR ranges). Usually Monday.
>>
>>33761070
I have one and it works. It does not have a fleshlight-attachment point and ipad-mounting bracket like the some of the expensive progressives do though.
Its really handy if you are cramped on space, as mounting and dismounting it takes a minute, and its pretty compact.

>>33761220
>reloading instead of drinking to decompress
my anglo-african
>>
>>33761302
Im sorry your such a cuck. Try living in a free state or start writing letters.
>>
>>33761302
>1/2 hour past sunset is either in self defense or in the pursuit of...

How does this apply to indoor ranges?
>>
>>33759844
It is worth it, you will learn more about guns from reloading than you could possibly imagine.
>>
>>33762796
>you will learn more about guns from reloading than you could possibly imagine.
explain?
Like what? i imagine learning more about just the finer details of what different rounds of ammo require to function, but i can't imagine learning other gun things not related directly to ammo.
>>
>>33762988
Don't worry about it. You will never learn anything. Thats why you come here
>>
>>33762988
I suppose it does all come back to ammo. But I think it's inevitable that reloading leads dedicated people to learn about the intricacies of their guns just to see what is possible/safe. No two guns are the same.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.