[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pistol caliber pipeguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

So /k/,

I understand that pipe guns can be made by any idiots with access to home depot.

However I often read about 12ga slam guns because the pipes are conveniently sized and the cartridge plentifully available, but what about pistol calibers? Is there a pistol caliber in particular that would be the best pipe gun food? For its diameter, power or other considerations?

ALL OF THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL OF COURSE, I don't advocate breaking the law, don't shoot my dog please

>inb4 ATF honeypot
>>
>>33757232

Even the most potent 12 gauge rounds operate at very low chamber pressures. Like half of what even .45ACP operates at. Shotgun ammunition isn't just used because it is common.
>>
File: sten.gif (451KB, 4782x6168px) Image search: [Google]
sten.gif
451KB, 4782x6168px
>>33757232
>pistol caliber pipegun
look no further!
>>
>>33757232
.38 Special would work, but you should use seamless drawn steel pipe.

Also it's legal as long as the barrel is 18" long and you don't sell it (well you sort of can but this part gets iffy, basically it's safer to just keep it).
>>
>>33757232
Assuming you're US American because ATF, none of what you're talking about is illegal. Just very dangerous.
>>
>>33757232
.25ACP could work for bullet diameter, but I'm not sure about case dimensions, which may be more prudent. Metric sizes of pipe may be a better bet because 9mm. Also, avoid seams, and lookup shit like the Sten and M3 Grease Gun.
>>
>>33758622
there seem to be a lot of people on /k/ that think homemade guns are illegal
>>
>>33757304

this, also the rim on the shell is the most convenient part of construction.
>>
>>33757232
Reason you don't hear much about pistol or rifle caliber pipe guns is all in the case pressure.

Shotguns operate at a low PSI because it has such a large void that it can't easily generate high enough pressures to blow thick pipe.
Try it with a high PSI round and you essential made a "directional" pipe bomb.

For example, standard brake line can be used for a .22lr zip gun, but the line will either split or outright rupture after just a few shots.
Theoretically you could put the line in a sleeve of pipe to alleviate this, but that isn't truly safe either.
Ever wonder why a .22lr barrel is almost as thick as a .223/5.56 pencil barrel? That's why, to prevent barrel splits and Ka-booms!
Most people don't realize it, mainly because the misconception tiny bullet means low pressure, but a .22lr has max PSI of 24,000. That's 3k more than .45ACP and only 4K less than .45-70 Gov.
>>
>>33758773
>but a .22lr has max PSI of 24,000. That's 3k more than .45ACP and only 4K less than .45-70 Gov.

yeeesh. I know any pistol pipe guns the suggestion is to use stainless seamless drawn pipe too, shit you can't just find at home depot.
>>
>>33758811
>>33758773
I've heard hydraulic tubing recommended, assuming you get the right inner diameter & pressure rating.
>>
>>33758811
Really the best bet, unless you live in Europe or where ever the barrel is a registered part, go buy a pistol caliber barrel blank.

You can find them already grooved and all you have to do is find a way to rig it into a functional reciever/firearm.
>>
>>33757232
it can be done, but you'd have to engineer a reinforced chamber (in slam-bang pipe shotguns, technically, the bolt-pipe forms the chamber when the action closes -- 1 layer of black pipe actually isn't enough to contain 12g)

you'd want to do burst pressure calculations to find out what OD in black pipe you'd need to contain the chamber pressure of the round *2 (factor of safety) for a pipe with an ID of roughly the rounds chamber diameter. then you could nest and jb weld more black pipe around your core pipe until you reach the necessary OD. you could also do it by layering on washers or locking collars like PA Luty did, but the calculations get more complicated.

once you get to a certain pressure though, the barrels start getting retarded thick and heavy using black pipe. at that point, you really need to just make a damn barrel with proper metallurgy.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.