[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 30

File: bepis_bomb.jpg (160KB, 1968x1113px) Image search: [Google]
bepis_bomb.jpg
160KB, 1968x1113px
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

Benis Bombb :DDD Edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Should I go nuke???
No.

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
Infantry is shit
>>
File: M1-A1_Abrams desert storm.jpg (2MB, 3008x1960px) Image search: [Google]
M1-A1_Abrams desert storm.jpg
2MB, 3008x1960px
I'm 18 and going to college next fall. If I enlist now to go fight the norks would I keep all the scholarships I've gotten?
>>
18 in aus right now, should i grab a degree before enlisting in the adf?

also, what are the chances for a gook to get into 2CDO?
>>
>>33756008
No.
>>
>>33756067
probably more chance than a whitey with the diversity quotas
>>
>>33756092
are there diversity quotas in the infantry now?
that's pretty fucked
>>
Any marines here in the 06 field want to tell me about the 0651 mos
>>
New thread before I had a chance to come back. I'm the fatty from before. So if I make the weight am I good? Is that really it because that seems way too easy, obviously not easy enough for my fat ass though lol. I've heard you need to be able to x amount of pushups or run x time mile, but is that before you get there or during? Sorry I'm still learning so much about all this. Folks are very anti military so I'm on my own here.
>>
>>33756263

Well, friendo, if I can say anything about the military it's this.

If you make weight, your troubles are only starting.
>>
>>33756263

This shit is easy to find with google my man.
>>
Can BAH be sent to a different account than the rest of the paycheck?
>>
>>33756008

Probably not if you're in the US. Your SAT scores are good for 5 years, but if your scholarships are based on anything other than that, especially if they're gov't or state gov't scholarships, they won't last very long.

Good news is, if you enlist, you'll have the GI bill at the end, which means you get a way better scholarship than whatever you earned with grades.

That being said, don't count on a war in Korea. We're more likely to deploy to Syria, and even then, I'd say it's a long shot.

if you plan on being career military, it doesn't really matter, but if you're only in it to get "your war" then don't bother until the shooting starts
>>
>>33756263

as long as you make weight before meps you're good. That being said, if you can't run under a 10 minute mile before shipping or do ~20-30 push ups or sit ups, bootcamp/BCT is gonna suck some serious ass. You'll prob get recycled and have to stay longer than your original class.

Just start the couch25k program today and you'll get into good running shape pretty quickly. the main thing is you need to stay positive and stay motivated. any normal person without a disability can get into ok running shape within a few months, and by the time you're running a 5k, you should be in good enough shape to get through boot/BCT
>>
>>33756289
>>33756313
Thanks
>>33756394
I cant do either so I figure I'll wait some more , though I wouldnt be able to join anyways. God I just want to get started already but I have 2 decades of fatass to work through. Maybe someday.
>>
>>33756433
Don't give up fatty. Go talk to a recruiter and get in the DEP. PT with your recruiter and the other poolees. They will kick your ass into shape.
>>
>>33756433

Start working today man, you can do it. Anything is possible. You ever see that youtube video about that disabled paratrooper with the fucked spine? he was like 150 lbs overweight and couldn't walk without crutches; doctors told him he would never walk unassisted or run ever again. He managed to lose 100 lbs and could even run after a while.

No matter how fucked you think you are, you can still do it. If you have the burning desire to serve, you'll regret it for the rest of your life if you dont.
So apply yourself now, get moto, and join up. you can do it!
>>
If you aint infantry, you aint shit
>>
>>33756433

When I say that your troubles are just beginning I'm being a tad facetious. If you aren't literally starving to death and can make weight then the rest of the standards follows. Then you can join up.

Then the rest of your real troubles follow.
>>
>>33756470
Is this actually a thing? How does it even work?
>>33756482
I have been. I can actually jog a couple miles straight and I've lost over twenty pounds, but I feel so pathetic that this is even an accomplishment to begin with. I guess there's no sense crying about the reality of the past but it gets to me often.
>>33756489
I could bear anything. The prison that is neetdom has made m thristy for life and I intend to drink as much as I can.
>>
>>33756536

At my recruiting station its 5-7pm on tuesdays/thursdays. Usually around ten people show up and one of the recruiters leads us through a workout. It's much better than just going to the gym on your own because they will push you a lot harder than you will push yourself.

You don't even have to be a poolee if you can't enlist yet for some reason. Just talk to your recruiter and find out their schedule.
>>
File: 768787122.jpg (318KB, 1920x1080px)
768787122.jpg
318KB, 1920x1080px
Tell me a lil' bit about Avionics Electrical Technician.
>>
>>33756536

You can't look back, man. just keep pushing yourself.

You might not be as bad off as you think. if you can jog a full mile or more, you're at least in good enough shape to start the couch25k program, which should get you in pretty good running shape in a few months.

You're probably not ready to be talking to a recruiter yet (I'd wait until you can run a 5k in under 27 mins) but you're not that far off. It's not an impossible journey, just maintain a low carb, high protein diet with lots of veggies an complex carbs to fill your carbohydrate requirement, and make sure you get enough fats to metabolize the protein, and keep up your exercise, and you'll be fine.

Look up "scott herman fitness" on youtube and look at his diet planning videos for info about how to plan your macronutrient intake.
>>
What are the differences between what .mil intel does and what civ intel does?
>>
>>33756329

You can split your paycheck however you want with account allotments.
>>
>>33757349

Depends on where you are. Oftentimes nothing.
>>
>>33757420
I'm mostly talking about linguists and analysts.
>>
File: 1464153150782.png (41KB, 1790x1640px) Image search: [Google]
1464153150782.png
41KB, 1790x1640px
A ship underway on nuclear power, perhaps?
>>
>>33757491
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>33757425

Still depends on where you are.

What's the difference between a civilian analyst and a uniformed analyst sitting side by side at the same desk with the same mission and the same intel training? Maybe work hours and pay, but even that can be pretty similar.
>>
>>33757531
>depends on where you are
I was under the impression that only CIA and DIA did stuff related to HUMINT

If they're very similar, how come becoming a civilian analyst (or linguist) is more difficult than getting the MOS equivalent?
>>
>>33756577
2A252 here SOF/PR avionics tech, what do you want to know
>>
>>33757548

>I was under the impression that only CIA and DIA did stuff related to HUMINT

You're wrong, although certain agencies certainly specialize more in certain types of intelligence. There's HUMINTers in every branch of the Armed forces, as well as other agencies, for instance.

>If they're very similar, how come becoming a civilian analyst (or linguist) is more difficult than getting the MOS equivalent?

The military will train you, whereas civilian positions generally want you to show up already qualified. For instance, a military linguist will spend 1-2 years in school on the government's dime before ever being put on mission, whereas an agency linguist may be expected come in and be working mission within a couple weeks of being hired. The military also has lower standards for personnel, they're willing to front the cost to train up a bunch of people in the hopes that most of them will be good at the job. Civilian organizations can be pickier and just hire people that are already good at the job.
>>
>>33757548
>>33757624

There's also contract personnel, which make up another huge chunk of the community. Like federal employees, contract companies can hire those who already know exactly what they're doing (usually because of prior military/federal experience).
>>
>>33757624
>>33757630
So entry level positions don't exist in civilian agencies (or are mostly inaccessible due to high hiring standards)?
Isn't it possible to start at the lowest level in civilian intel and move up to more important positions with time?
>>
File: 1481012881796.jpg (67KB, 850x582px)
1481012881796.jpg
67KB, 850x582px
How difficult is it to get an option 40 as an 11b? do i have to get a 300 on the PT and get above a 90 on the ASVAB?
>>
>>33757637

The difference is "entry level" means different things in the military and civilian worlds. Intel is a white-collar profession, so if you're not going through the military you need to go through college.

Military entry level - 17+ year old with a High School diploma and no clearance/experience.

Civilian entry level - 22+ year old with an applicable degree. Ideally with an internship during college (this will clear you, which is gold). Some people also do a combined program and graduate with a master's degree now.
>>
>>33757739
I understand.
What are marketable college degrees in the intel community?
>>
>>33757638

They don't look at your PT scores at all for Option 40, and the only ASVAB requirement is a 110 GT (which you can get with an overall score in the 70s).

Recruiters don't give a fuck whether you're actually going to pass RASP when they get you the contract. If you meet the minimum requirements they can get you the contract, if you fail because you didn't prep then that's on you.
>>
>>33757744

STEM, especially computer/data sciences, electrical engineering, etc. Linguistics but only if you actually get good at the language.

Stay away from soft-skill "politics" degrees like international relations/studies unless you're going to a high-end program.
>>
>>33757638
Just remember almost everyone with that contract doesnt make it. You are in all likelihood going to end up worldwide. Think about it bc korea is cold
>>
>>33757824

I think you're getting Option 40 and 18X mixed up. Plenty of option 40s make it, and many of those who don't are because of >>33757745 .

If you show up physically fit and aren't a douchebag who can't work with others there's a good chance you make it through RASP and into regiment.
>>
>>33757842
Nope. We graduated 56, RIP class 02-07 and had nearly 400 in hold at them time. 136 started the class. That doesnt count those with option 40s who fucked up, 41 clubbed or bowed out prior to that point for whatever reason. Most dont make it. Fewer stay past 1 year.

My only point to the guy is to think long and hard about it bc it isnt an easy road, you can end up stationed damn nasr anywhere if you dont make it (back then worldwide meant korea or to lewis to stand up a stryker unit) and i knew guys who ended up in those places and if you haven't considered the possibility the probable end result can sting.
>>
>>33757763
>STEM, especially computer/data sciences, electrical engineering, etc
Even in HUMINT those are valuable? I would've figured stuff like psychology would've been more valued.
>Linguistics but only if you actually get good at the language
Do I need a degree if I'm already bilingual?
Do they only care about arabic/farsi/whatever or are European languages good too?
>>
>>33757884

>Psychology

Pretty poorly regarded, again unless you're going to a good program with internships. Psychology has a reputation as a degree a lot of people pick because they want to be a "scientist" but are shit at math and/or fucked in the head. You typically can't do anything with just a psych undergrad.

Demands for language vary with the political climate, and can change pretty rapidly. The collapse of the Soviet Union saw a lot of Russian linguists out of work very quickly. On the other hand if things escalate with North Korea there might be a huge surge in demand for Korean linguists.
>>
>>33757940
unfortunately things are indeed escalating. USS Michigan is now en route to the peninsula along with the Carl Vinson strike group. NK conducted a huge live fire exercise yesterday as well. I don't see anything getting better.
>>
>>33757624

Lol what is this fucking bullshit you're spouting?

>whereas an agency linguist may be expected come in and be working mission within a couple weeks of being hired

On what fucking planet? Do you know nothing about all of the fucking training that .gov personnel get? Holy fuck dude, nobody in alphabet agencies just shows up knowing their job, they all have fucking training pipelines as long as a lot of military training pipelines.
>>
>>33758207

Except I'm actually a federal analyst right now, and former contractor. Our "training pipeline" is about a month long. As a contractor we didn't have any Intel training pipeline at all, just OJT. We hired qualified candidates that already knew what they were doing in the IC.
>>
>>33758238

The analyst side must be fucking weird. Core collectors don't get off without quite a number of successful training "missions" on the farm.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>33756263
Hey dude, I'm in the exact same boat. The neck beard life is not one worth living.
We're going to make it.
>>
>>33758238

You "training pipeline" was cut short because of your prior experience. Fresh meat straight out of college, which many agencies prefer, go through much longer training.
>>
>>33758310
Another ex chubby anon here, was like 220lbs and no real direction in life so i spent some time getting in shape and now i'm shipping out next month. Feels good man.
>>
Is it possible to gain muscle in Navy boot camp
>>
How do I achieve the competing goals of being a fighter pilot and working in the IC as analyst or counterintelligence agent?
>>
>>33758351
get your private pilots license and as many ratings as you can
>>
>>33756488
If you ain't cav*
>>
>>33758351

>Commission into the AF reserve or ANG as an 11FX (Good luck)
>Get a day job as an analyst or fed specializing in counterintelligence

If you want to do this in the Air Force then you'd be best off doing this.

>Enlist as a 1N0X or 1N3X (analyst or cryptolinguist)
>At year 3 put in a packet for OSI if you want the CI job
>Stay in til your extended contract ends, OSI makes you stay in longer
>Exit
>Commission as a pilot in the reserves or ANG
>Land civilian job as a CI Agent

You can shorten this by doing analyst work for four years, your pilot training will bump it up to taking almost six years. Doing the OSI thing will take 7 years or more.
>>
I want to go 18x but I have 2 things that I feel might cause me problems:

1. my eyesight needs to be corrected, but it's still good enough to be 20/20 once corrected

2. I have hypothyroidism, which all the medical guidelines that I've read say that it's not a DQ so long as it's controlled by meds, but I just want to be sure it's alright for 18x.

are these major problems?
>>
>>33758455
My eyes are like 20/50 uncorrected and 20/20 corrected and they put me in category 1 on the PULHES. So as long as they're both corrigible to 20/20 and you're not blind as a bat without them you're ok. I think you might even be able to go 18x with a 2 on it. Just google the exact definitions and requirements.

Don't know about the other one.
>>
>>33758520
I did a quick look at the standards, I think my eyes are 20/200 so it looks like I can get a 1.
>>
>>33758406
Just how hard is it to get an ANG pilot slot?
>>
>>33758310
>>33758327
I'm holding out on that hope. Good luck you guys.
>>
My GP put me on 10mg of prozac when I was a kid (1/2 the recommended dose), and I've been off of it for several years now. a friend of mine told me just not to mention this and it should be fine. is this good advice?
>>
>>33758931
i was on paxil for 6 years m8 and didnt say jack shit and i leave in like a month. its all good.
>>
File: 1485350738058.jpg (118KB, 1280x864px)
1485350738058.jpg
118KB, 1280x864px
>>33757745
but actually how difficult is it to get the option 4o? i know that there are only 150 a month for 11b, but i have no idea how many people try to get them
>>
>>33757550
anything about it. My recruiter is on the same level as my cat and tells me even less. I watched the little video available 43 seconds only tell you so much. a day in the life?
>They will also fill aircrew positions such as navigator, flight mechanic, radio operator, sensor systems operator, and basic aircrewman.
how often do you get to sit on the big gun and fly around? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>33757349
>What are the differences between what .mil intel does and what civ intel does?

In general military intel (and civilian DIA) are geared towards supporting the DoD and thus supporting military operations. Other civilian agencies generally have their own mandate.
>>
>>33757548
>If they're very similar, how come becoming a civilian analyst (or linguist) is more difficult than getting the MOS equivalent?

Because civilian agencies have to actually hire you. If you score high enough on the ASVAB and aren't as dumb as a bag of hammers you can enlist for an intel MOS and make it through the school house.
>>
>>33757637
>So entry level positions don't exist in civilian agencies (or are mostly inaccessible due to high hiring standards)?

Entry level positions do exist for federal civilians in the IC. The difference is that one is competing to get hired. Technically the only requirements to get hired as a federal civilian all source analyst or operations officer is a 4 year degree and command of the English language.

BUT you're competing for positions with other people who may have advanced degrees, more experience, foreign languages, published research, foreign travel, internships etc.

People sauntering into the recruiters office to enlist into IET intel MOS don't have to compete with these people.
>>
>>33757763
>STEM, especially computer/data sciences, electrical engineering, etc. Linguistics but only if you actually get good at the language.
>Stay away from soft-skill "politics" degrees like international relations/studies unless you're going to a high-end program.

This is where I have to stop you.

If you are going into S&T yes STEM is a requirement. I know plenty of analysts without STEM and operations doesn't give a fuck what your degree is in.

Even Department of Energy INR hires all source analysts with poli sci degrees.
>>
>>33758351
>How do I achieve the competing goals of being a fighter pilot and working in the IC as analyst or counterintelligence agent?

So which one do you actually want to do and which one do you just want to say you do?

Because this sounds like you just want to be able to tell people you fly planes and work in the IC.
>>
File: steak.jpg (83KB, 650x478px)
steak.jpg
83KB, 650x478px
>>33756488
>infantry
>couldn't hack special forces

pick both
>>
>>33756488
This
FUCK pogs
>>
My AF recruiter explained to me today that I have to pick 9 jobs and the 10th one be open in either General aptitude, Mechanical aptitude, Electrical aptitude, or Admin aptitude. I don't know if I believe him or not, I really dont feel like getting picked for aptitude and getting slotted into whatever the fuck shit hole AFSC they put me in, instead of the ones I actually wanted. Is there any truth to this and what other choices do I have?
>>
>>33759686
I do actually want to do both, but if I had to pick over the other, I guess it would be the IC
>>
File: old pepe.jpg (31KB, 399x388px)
old pepe.jpg
31KB, 399x388px
26 yo male

I was raised in a commie third world country and recently moved to the states. My higher education (Law) will be pointless here.

I want to enlist but i am afraid there might be too many complications like being too old, having broken English with ''foreign'' culture, not being in my best shape and not being in school for about 5-6 years by now...

Most of it i can overcome by improving myself, what concerns me if the age part and how everything previously mentioned is going to affect my development on the early stages... Will i get what i put into or is it too late?

Also, my family background is somewhat weird. My stepfather being a high ranking officer on his country and my biological father was a known druglord in the 80/90s... I am sure it is going to be brought up but i dont know if this will also compromise my development.

Any opinions?
>>
>15A Aviation Officer
What does this entail? Do they get flight training?
>>
>>33760894
As long as you're permanent resident and you don't want a job with a clearance, you should be good
>>
>>33760652
He's not lying. The air force doesn't let you pick one job like the Army or an MOS field like the marines.
Idk how the navy does it.
>>
>>33760894
You're fine if you're a permanent resident. I'm a 28 year old eurofag and i enlisted last month. You can't get a security clearance but you can still enlist for a bunch of jobs.

I encountered a bunch of different nationalities at the recruiter and at meps. There were russians, colombians, japs, honduras. All kinds of stuff both in service and applying.

As for getting what you want, what do you want? You can do all kinds of stuff if you aim to stay in for a while. The russian dude enlisted as a cav scout, got his citizenship so he could get a clearance and reclassed to IT for example. There are many ways.
>>
Any other known sources for ranger applicants?
Armyranger.com isn't that helpful considering how dated the threads are and ornery the rangers that post there are.
>>
>>33761169
I'm still confused as to how I would get any guarantee that I won't just be thrown into a shit MOS that I have zero interest in, whats the point of having 9 other jobs I want picked out if they just make me go open contract anyway
>>
Do you know anyone that stayed in 20 years and got a pension?
>>
>>33761303
You don't get guarantee for that.
It's a very high possibility that when joining the air force you will get a job that you don't like.
I voiced my dislike for this system and my recruiter told me "we're looking for people that just really want to be airmen."
So I said fuck it and now I'm joining the Marines.
>>
>>33761310
My dad did.
Now he gets retirement and disability and still works and clears 6 figures doing a job he loves.
>>
What's it like being an 0321/0326 Reconaissanceman? Is it all just training and being stuck in the barracks nowadays?
>>
>>33761385
Some of them do direct action missions.
You will sooner or later get both dive and free fall certified which will get you more pay. And yeah they do a lot of training and attend a lot of schools. You've got a good chance to get sent to scout sniper school if you want it. Seems like a cool gig until you got your 3 years in and want to try for MARSOC
>>
>>33761352
>>33761303
in this boat, want to make sure I get the job I want but of course there's no guarantee.
my recruiter said that after one year (+1 year of your original training) you'd have the ability to transfer jobs if you don't like where you're at.
>>
>>33761613
>reclass after 1 year

Yeah, that's extremely unlikely. You might be able to apply but good luck getting that approved.
>>
>>33761125
>>33761259

I was born in the states but moved to [spoiler]Venezuela[/spoiler] when my parents divorced because of said drug related issues. I am taking there is still going to be clearance issues?

Anyhow, i like the military life in general considering how i was raised and altough i have not decided what i want to do, i want a proper career, staying for the long run and so on. I was afraid my background would compromise it but for what you guys tell me seems like it can be overcome.

Thanks lads
>>
>>33761367
What's his job
>>
>>33761672
Sounds like you really should be alright. Getting a TS might be tricky, but you should be absolutely fine for 90% of jobs. A recruiter can steer you in the proper direction.
>>
File: 1492408429399.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1492408429399.png
16KB, 958x660px
>>33761661
#1 pick is 6F, anything after that is open general and electric.
guess it's good my backup plan is to study a shit ton and earn degrees. will come out employable at the very least
>>
>>33761672
You can't choose your parents. It's not like you're best buddies with drug lords or have any financial involvement in the drug trade right?

Only thing that you could get in trouble for in this case would be if you still had foreign financial or business interests and stuff like that. If not you'll probably be able to get a SECRET clearance just fine.
>>
>>33761722
For the last half of his AF career he was an instructor at the military freefall school in southern AZ.
Now he does the same thing as a civilian GS12.
>>
>>33761672
>>33761793

Hate to shit on anybody's parade but the government isn't going to be sympathetic about stuff out of your control. Knew a guy denied a T/S clearance because his estranged sand nigger father lived in Pakistan.

Only one way to find out, but I'm saying don't be surprised if it becomes an issue.
>>
>>33758349
Only the big veined muscle that gets shoved up your whale eye
>>
>>33761917
Oh yeah that guy has no chance at getting a TS clearance because of his family ties. That's why i said SECRET clearance. That's a lower degree that people with foreign family members can have as long as they're citizens themselves.
>>
>>33761310
Worth noting that if you go in the service before 2018 you are able to get the standard retirement of 50%, which increases 2% every year after 20 years. That's the last year to be grandfathered in.

After 2018, future military members have to deal with some 401k bullshit that gives people who did only 8 years or whatever a slice of the action. I truly feel bad for future career military because it's no secret the retirement isn't going to be as good
>>
>>33760652
>>33761169
Navy lets you pick like army, being less popular has perks
>>
File: 755px-US-ARMY-ROTC.svg.png (83KB, 755x1023px) Image search: [Google]
755px-US-ARMY-ROTC.svg.png
83KB, 755x1023px
I'm in the process of signing up for ROTC as a transfer student (junior). I've talked to the recruiter at my detachment and he's having me fill out some prequal questions/statement. How do I go about applying for the scholarship? Do I have to ask for it or do you think the recruiter is setting it up for me automatically?

What happens if I don't get the scholarship?

I don't think I'm willing to continue in the program if I don't get school comped, especially housing....
>>
>>33761998

>401k bullshit

You mean the TSP? The thing that has been around for decades now?

The new retirement plan isn't that complicated. You still get a pension at 20+ years, it's just smaller. You also get 401k matching like every other professional job in the world.

It's slightly worse for those that do 20+ years, and much better for anyone who doesn't do 20+ years.
>>
>>33756577
If you ain't 2Axxx(x), you ain't shit
>>
>>33756008
Just go ROTC
>>
File: rhodesia.jpg (108KB, 480x750px)
rhodesia.jpg
108KB, 480x750px
what are some Navy rates you guys recommend? This might sound retarded but what one is closest to the """action""" in the sense as having a more direct relation to any action that could take place.

I've looked up Gunners Mate. Looks neat but, say, they are fixing the mounted guns but who the hell shoots the mounted guns?
>>
>>33762517

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the gunners.
>>
File: audism.png (766KB, 2000x2000px)
audism.png
766KB, 2000x2000px
>>33762609
>say the gunners
this is me

I've also heard about the CBs. Seems like a good opportunity to learn a solid trade and some basic combat training as well. How on them?
>>
>>33762652

I know nothing of the Navy unfortunately. I've got some friends who were in, but I'm going AF.
>>
>>33762517
>posting an airsofter
>>
File: rhodies.jpg (194KB, 651x800px) Image search: [Google]
rhodies.jpg
194KB, 651x800px
>>33762706
>>posting an airsofter
>>
>>33762251
>The thing that has been around for decades now?
No idea, but it's going to be mandatory now is my point
>You still get a pension at 20+ years, it's just smaller.
Again, my point
>It's slightly worse for those that do 20+ years, and much better for anyone who doesn't do 20+ years
Also my point.
>>
>>33763108

>No idea, but it's going to be mandatory now is my point

Still not mandatory to contribute to it, it would just be stupid not to.
>>
>>33761289
What would you like to know, Anon? Stuff specific to Regiment? Or Recruiter targeted questions like how many slots, etc?
>>
>>33761352
>"we're looking for people that just really want to be airmen."

As an active duty Airman, that really pisses me off.
I don't want guys who "just really want to be airmen" in my shop. We've got a few of those people, and while they show up on time and do well at PT, they're virtually useless when it comes to actually doing the mission.

I want guys (and girls) who have an interest in learning their job, and becoming an expert at their job.
Giving people a crapshoot as to what job they'll land in is completely counterproductive to that objective, and results in Airmen getting stuck in career fields that they hate, giving minimal effort to bettering themselves as workers.

Sure, you can stick anyone behind a broom and they'll manage just fine, but our jobs are a bit more complicated than that.
You think some random shmuck who went open electrical is going to be able to troubleshoot a faulty GRE tunnel, or fix a DC that won't replicate?

>>33761613
You can retrain one year out from the end of your initial enlistment, and almost anything else is a lie.
You also have to be released by your career field manager, so if your job is critically manned (like security forces often is), you won't be retraining.
>>
>>33763131
I'm saying the standard 50% retirement the day you retire is going away. That stability was unmatched pretty much anywhere else. It's going to be a pretty good reason not to do 20 years for future people who enlist or commission after January 31st 2018.
>>
>>33755861
What's /k/ opinion on 19K
Are tanks even relevant in today's warfare?
Are tank operators pretty much mobile artilery
>>
>>33763317

It's going to be the standard 40 % retirement the day you retire...so still better than anywhere else.
>>
File: ww1armor.jpg (350KB, 2156x2840px)
ww1armor.jpg
350KB, 2156x2840px
Just learned about Navy Aircrewman. Looks fun as hell. Anyone done that or know a guy who knows a guy. Asking for a friend.

In fact, let's widen the question to any aircrewmen in any branch.
>>
>>33761998
>>33763317
What are you even on about?
The new BRS is going to save the DoD a bundle of money, and quite possibly increase first-term enlistment retention.
It's excellent, because most people know the stats that only 17% or so make it to 20 years.

Right now, the only "right" way to play the military game is to either do your 4 and bolt, or hold onto the long ride for 20.
Any longer than 4, and you're only cheating yourself of the better retirement options the civ world has, getting worse until you hit 20 and recoup it all. The thing is, the DoD has to set aside those pension funds for every service member, and that's expensive when most will not use them.

With the BRS, there's not that pressure to do 4 or 20. You can stay for 8 years, and it's not an objective waste, since you get to keep the TSP match, along with your own contributions when you leave.
You do realize that you still get a pension at 20 years, it's just 80% of what today's is.
>>
>>33763350

I dunno man, I'm doing the 6 and bolt (my AFSC will require 6 years), but then I'm trying to land a reserve officer position while working for the Foreign Service at the same time. Double up on years on that FERS pension.
>>
>>33763338
>>33763350
So people who join after the new year (or is it going to be everybody now?) and do 20 are going to be getting 40% instead of 50% so guys who did less than 20 can get a cut? That's exactly what I'm saying, I don't know why you are arguing with me. Doing less than 20 has it's perks, like free college, hiring preference and experience. I just personally think these guys don't deserve to cut into those who do 20 because that's an enormous commitment. Compared to what they are doing.

>Right now, the only "right" way to play the military game is to either do your 4 and bolt

Oh well, world's smallest violin. No system is perfect.
>>
>>33763414
This is actually exactly what I'm doing. 5 year contract, hoping for a federal gig and then I would like to get a commission and retire with the reserves so I can double dip
>>
>>33763416
>So people who join after the new year (or is it going to be everybody now?) and do 20 are going to be getting 40% instead of 50% so guys who did less than 20 can get a cut?

Welcome to the erosion of pensions that has been happening for like 100 years. They're unsustainable and untrustworthy, a relic of a bygone era when people were too stupid to understand investing and died <10 years after retirement.
>>
>>33763416
>So people who join after the new year ... and do 20 are going to be getting 40% instead of 50% so guys who did less than 20 can get a cut?
Yes. It's more important to us to retain 3 people for 12 years than 1 guy for 20. Just because you've managed to survive in the military system for 20 years, does not mean you're especially valuable.

> I just personally think these guys don't deserve to cut into those who do 20 because that's an enormous commitment
I'm not really sure where you're coming from. Doing 20 years in the military isn't some especially honorable feat, and we really should get rid of the notion that more years = better. There are plenty of guys who did their 4 or 6 and contributed 100x more to the mission than the 22 year MSgt in personnel who spearheaded 50 squadron picnics.

Also, if you joined after something like 2006 you have the option to either keep the old system, or opt into the new. I'm opting into the new as soon as I can, since I'm not sure how long I'm staying in.

>>33763414
I'd love me a GS job, sadly there aren't very many back home.

>>33763441
>They're unsustainable and untrustworthy, a relic of a bygone era when people were too stupid to understand investing and died <10 years after retirement.
True, they're *damn* expensive, especially the DoD's. Paying Sgt. Miller for the next 45 years and taking care of him and his wife's medical issues costs an incredible sum of money.

To be fair, I would like something a little better than up to 5% match.
>>
>>33763142
Generally I'm looking for a good source of up to date info regarding the regiment today and how to join.
I'm also looking to know more about option 40 slots, how many are there really, are they distributed geographically, is there a time when new ones come up or is that info kept secret?
I can't enlist until January for medical reasons and I'm trying to decide if i want to be a Ranger or not, right now I'm strongly in the heck yes
>>
>>33763842
Just go to the recruiter and ask when the next option 40 is available. You're overthinking this dude.
>>
So if you're going into a job that requires a TS and potentially a TS/SCI down the line it's best just to disclose everything correct?
>>
>>33763983
Obviously
>>
>>33764078
Right, just making sure. I was honest about my past with my recruiter, not sure if I should've been but it felt a hell of a lot better than lying. I go to MEPS tomorrow.
>>
>>33763868
I know your right but I was taking adhd medication until January of this year so I can't apply until I've been off it for a year
>>
>>33763842
Are you fuckin with me? Im not trying to be a dick but seriously, you just screwin with me?

If i told you the geographic distribution and # of slots available and for some reason thay information was not what you wanted to hear, would you not do anything possible to get here anyway?

If not, we dont want you.

Regiment is a difficult life. Constant training, constant deployments. Youll have tons of range time. Hazing exists and depending upon where you grow up in Regiment it can be brutal. Other places, not as bad but still tough.

My advice is always this when it comes to decisions within the Regiments pipeline: hold the tan beret in one hand and anything else you may want or value in the other. If any decision you come upon in which the tan beret is outweighed, it ain't for you.

If you make it to Regiment I offer this: find a mindset that is conducive to learning and bullet proof to hazing. Tons of privates get here, esp stud infantry types who've never been the smallest fish in the pond, and we crush them and they're gone.

Do those 2 things and never quit and youll make it.
>>
>>33764164
>Hazing exists

oh boy, I bet jerking off on a biscuit makes you so much tougher than the muhreens
>>
>>33764164
not that guy, but I went to a recruiter yesterday and the only contracts with option 40 attached were 74d and 25p. Would I still go out on missions and not sit at the base all day if I chose those contracts and made it through RASP?
>>
>>33761998
> tfw barely made it in
>>
>>33764234
It's peacetime, what do you think? You will play make believe (train) and pray a land war breaks out before your contract runs out, in which case you'll just be dodging IEDs anyway and not fighting an enemy worth a damn
>>
>>33756577
Uhh you'll be here in Pensacola for like 5-6 months depending.
>>
>>33762517
Navy there aren't really any rates if you're interested in going combat besides trying for SEAL. Otherwise GM's and I think BM's are probably the closest you can get but I think if you're really determined there's always a way to get to somewhere where you can see action.
>>
>>33764223
I have no clue what that means or what you and the muhreens do with your biscuits. We do smoke privates all day, every day, relentlessly for up to the end of their first enlistment if necessary. Pain is a teacher and that's just the way of it. I guess you can tell me about your biscuits though if you feel the need.
>>
>>33764164
Not fucking with you,
I'm this guy here >>33764133 so im just doing as much research as I can while I wait and prepare.
I appreciate the advice
>>
>>33764261
Training for their particular MOS?
>>
>>33764234
74D more so than 25P if things ever pop off again. During the surge everyone went on missions to free up the line guys to hit targets. Youll be with the vehicles, on occasion filling in a stack. But training wise youll be required to jump, fast rope, meet all regimental standards and perform your role or be RFS'd.

It's a good life.
>>
has anyone took leave to any Space-A flights to vacation to wherever the fuck around the globe?

it's my last year and i'm trying to have a blast as much as i can
>>
>>33764381
Yeah dude. You'll train often in Regiment, daily if you're in a line unit. Expect 3-4 days AT the range at a time if youre a line dog. Sleeping there vs going back to the barracks. Fixed and rotary wing cycles. Stryker training. Youll have to continue jumping and youll learn to fast rope. Youll have to maintain really high fitness standards no matter what. You'll get RFS'd quick if you dont meet the Regiments standard.

It is often said that it is harder to stay in Regiment than most other SOF units bc we maintain the standard. There is no "operator" rating or 18series mos so you wont be retained and have a spot found somewhere for you to work if you cant hack it. Regiment just kicks guys out.

You'll also get a variety of skills/training often reserved for more senior members of other SOF units. But instead of getting a slot to a course youll learn it in-house. So it is a bit different.
>>
>>33764357
smoking privates = sucking dick, right?
>>
>>33764650
Stop trying to scare the kid, bro
>>33764381
Yeah don't fret too much dude women are passing Ranger school now it's all good
>>
File: 1481341838647.png (36KB, 743x423px) Image search: [Google]
1481341838647.png
36KB, 743x423px
I've got a high score on EST (90) and I'm going into Marines .I want to be challenged mentally and physically. Im going to be 22. What are some good fields to apply into? Im not really looking for infantry but other things yes.
>>
>>33764651
Weird. Not in our unit. That's what you guys do when you "smoke" privates? Kinda lead to a weird relationship inside the barracks, wouldnt it?
>>
>>33764678
suicide
>>
>>33764680
I don't know man you are the one who said it I just thought it sounded kinda gay so I asked
>>
>>33764678
>.I want to be challenged mentally
>Marines
>Infantry

Are you a fucking rainman retard who can test well but has zero common sense?
>>
>>33764687
Shoo shoo brainlet
>>
>>33764673
What there is trying to scare him? Im trying to give him honest information. Tell me again how Ranger School leads to Regiment? Regiment has nothing to do with Ranger School. Why are you trying to mislead him?
>>
>>33764709
I said I don't want infantry
>Im not really looking for infantry
C'mon man
>>
>>33764719
You told him you were going to smoke his privates all day every day. I wouldn't want to join a pseudo-frat where I was going to be hazed and blown, either
>>
>>33764724
Then why did you ask, go intel or something that will get you a job and avoid the Marines if you have any sense

Army 35N has a 15k bonus right now, look in to that

fyi chicks who haven't fucked Marines before don't know the difference between a soldier and a Marine so you're gud
>>
>>33764695
...ok, friendo. If I had told you yes, it was gay stuff would you have dropped the billy badass stuff and wanted to join?
>>
>>33764678

Don't join the Marines or your primary challenge will be not fucking offing yourself in response to the constant stupid that you will be dealing with.
>>
>>33764785
>>33764767
Thanks for the heads up. I've talked to a few branches and the Marines guy is really damn good. Do you know much about 35N?
>>
>>33764747
You really want this to be a gay thing, dont you. Here, lets do this. Ill stop using those words if it helps you keep dicks and faggots giving blowers off of your mind. You do seem to have quite the appetite for guys sucking dick.
>>
>>33760894
if you can just join

i know a 30 year old that is shipping next week
>>
>>33764814
It's just one of those MOS's that makes it pretty simple to get a federal gig in a three letter agency if you take the time to get a degree additionally, depending on what your goals are of course. Haven't done the job myself I'm sure it has it's downsides
>>
>>33764814

If you want both a mental and physical challenge and you feel that you must go Army SIGINT, then add on an option 4 or an option 40 to it. That will give you the physical challenge you want, SIGINT is a good mental challenge on it's own.
>>
>>33764843
What he said, someone in the previous thread did this got a 15+4k bonus for 35N with Option 4 which is Airborne school
>>
>>33764824
It's just the tough guy act like "oh this is going to be so hard", "we are going to haze the shit out of you", "we are going to smoke you" just has a homoerotic undertone to it. I call em like I see em
>>
>>33764890
Yeah. Cool.
>>
>>33764858
I've signed up as a 35N, however I did not get either of the additional options added to my contract. Is it still possible to go airborne/ranger down the line?
>>
>>33764934

You can, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's additional obligations and will probably pull you out of strat.
>>
>>33764954
Is it hard to transition to the tactical side of things should I ever tire of strat? Or would going tactical be entirely up to the needs of the army?
>>
>>33755861
Was USAF 3E8X1
Made is so far but sadly got dropped from program because they didn't like me and I failed a test
>>
>>33764973
You mean... Infantry? That'd require you to go back to basic, literally the last 4 weeks of infantry basic. You wouldn't want to do that.
>>
>>33761023
No, they actually run around a field with their arms out making fart noises and pretending to fire of 37 MM cannons, while also screaming "GOT YOU RED BARRON" Every 30 seconds or so.
>>
>>33764973

You'd have to request something like ranger school, which is possible.
>>
>>33762517
SWCC. They operate under the Seals I believe. But not as demanding as Seals. Also Corpsman tend to see alot of shit. But if you want a guarantee of craziness go SWCC.
>>
>>33764890
You should, like, be a CIA analyst or something because your ability to "call em like I see em" is fucking remarkable, Billy.
>>
>>33756113
Stop believing everything you read on the Internet, especially 4chan
>>
SWCC has maintained their standards while the SEAL community has run around showing their ass to the world. I mean between the movies theyve shot, books theyve written, daytime tv show interviews theyve given and drugs theyve done - and yes, that community is ate up right now - you dont think SWCC is a harder, more professional world?
>>
File: dickcough.jpg (47KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
dickcough.jpg
47KB, 427x640px
>>33765144

The SEAL community has run around showing their asses, prejudices, and willingness to cash in on the public's willingness to eat up stories of embellished battlefield heroism. It's largely Naval Officers who started doing this though. The Navy's fucking bureaucratic dickishness has bled through to the point where people outside of the military are starting to figure it out.
>>
>>33765041
Why would the air force pay them to do that? Is it part of a multi-layered plan of strategic deception? Wouldn't the enemy target the real aircraft instead? What type of GT score do I need for this job?
>>
>>33765275

15A isn't an Air Force job, dumbfuck.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-anUPon48U&feature=youtu.be
>>
I've got a really stupid idea. Could I join the Army on a 11x op 40 contract for 4 years, then use my gi bill to pay for a mechanical engineering degree as I do AFROTC so i could become a pilot? Will my chances at getting a pilot slot be lessened if I'm older and prior service?
>>
>>33765625

Technically possible. Realistically there's a decent chance that you fuck yourself up during your Ranger time and become ineligible to come back in. You'd also be looking at commissioning in your late 20s at the earliest (assuming you're starting down this path at 18).

Like most convoluted career plans, this one won't survive your first year actually in the military.
>>
>>33765625
Why?
>>
>>33765665

This. Any plan more complex than "try really hard to pass my initial training pipeline" usually goes by the wayside as soon as someone actually knows what the military is like.
>>
>>33765682
because I want to be a Ranger but I also want to be a pilot. Also because my GPA in high school was 2.6 and my family can't pay for me to go to college without lots of loans. My GPA was low because family issues and non-attendance, not because I wasn't up to the task. I got a 32 on my ACT, so I'm not dumb.
>>
>>33765718

Go Air Force CCT or TACP instead. Get your CCAF in your downtime. When you get out finish your degree after taking classes to get you up to speed while in. Then after you graduate commission as a pilot.
>>
>>33765500
>waaaahhh don't bring big scary missile to korea (that actually shoots nukes out of the sky)
>let's protest the nation that's been protecting us from Kim & Co steamrolling the peninsula into best korea
>that woman wailing but making sure to keep her phone recording upright

I wonder what would happen if we were like "k bye". Probably the exact same people would be screaming at the US for abandoning them.
>>
>>33755861
Threadly reminder to go mechanical and ignore Sgt. Slick's the Used Open Job Salesman
>>
So I'm prepping myself starting now with a target date of September to enlist in the Seal Challenge Program PST. This is more of a /fit and sealswcc questio

1.Starting last Thursday, I could barely do 17 push ups (after benching) which is really discouraging to say the least. I made 1.5mile in 9mins on the run and 20 situps in 2min. Should I just stop kidding myself and quit before I'm ahead? Since I really only have five months to prepare for this before I'm aged out going 28 here

2. I Scuba Dive (Padi Dive Master/DAN as part of my job (I do boat work & Tech Diving part of the reason I want to take this hurdle) should I mention it to the recruiter/instructors or just keep my trap shut on it? Reason I ask I hear mixed things about people who already do Scuba Dive in the view of the instructors/recruiters.
>>
>>33765500

Peaceniks are dumb fuckers, what else is new?
>>
>>33765887
Running matters most at BUD/S, but you really need to work on push ups and situps. You'll want to shoot for 100 sit ups and 100 push ups by the time you shp for basic. Here's a couple primer programs that should help a lot: http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pushuppush.htm
http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pushuppush.htm
https://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/pulluppush.htm
The good news for you is that your running time is quite good, even for SEALs.
How are you doing on pull ups and swimming?
Here's another article going over the minimums and waht you need to get a SEAL contract: http://www.military.com/military-fitness/navy-special-operations/navy-seal-fitness-test
>>
>>33765863
>to go mechanical
Neger what.
>>
>>33765718
You want to do two difficult things and you aren't exactly competitive for either. Not to shit on you but that's just how it is.

Being a pilot is especially time consuming. You need to prioritize.

Maybe look into Marine aviation. They fly but also do a lot of ground training the other branches don't do.
>>
>>33766000
Hey, I appreciate the honesty. I'll look into NROTC Marine option, I've heard they can guarantee you a pilot slot sometime in the ROTC program. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>33765999
(You)
If a plane "mysteriously" breaks down in Iwo or the Philippines and needs to be repaired, who's going to fix it?
>>
>>33766040
They have OCS slots just for air if you do decide to do college before the military, or before becoming a pilot anyway. If you carry a solid GPA in college the high school one won't even get looked at. In fact it's likely only to hurt you for army high school or flight school horseshit
>>
>>33766049
Ah you guys do get the sweet TDYs.
I'll never TDY or deploy from this assignment, which I'm slotted in for like 8 years!

:)
:(
>>
>>33766049

My dad used to do shit like that. That was in between doing 12 hour shifts on the fucking flight line.
>>
>>33765754
Where do CCT and TACP usually get stationed? I mean, are they usually stateside or in the shitheap? Quick rundown on those jobs daily life
>>
>>33766130
Herby
>>
>>33755861
Currently a Navy nuke looking to get out at my 6 year point. Wondering if it's worth it to look into the Army Flight Warrant Officer program after I get out. Literally days from getting my NEC. I love the structure of the military but being a nuke sucks.
>>
>>33766130
>I mean, are they usually stateside

almost always especially for tacp
>>
>>33766130

They are stationed either stateside, the UK, or Japan. I strongly recommend Mildenhall/Lakenheath.
>>
>>33757884
>>STEM, especially computer/data sciences, electrical engineering, etc
Even in HUMINT those are valuable? I would've figured stuff like psychology would've been more valued.

Geospatial science nigga, subfield of Geography. Piss easy and very applicable to intel work. Great career in the civilian world too.
>>
>>33766195

Hey. Never listen to fucking STEM-lords.

You want HUMINT? Go for International Relations.
>>
>>33762073
You enrollment officer puts you in for it. If you qualify you are obligated to serve four years active duty.

You qualify for it based on your GPA and passing the basic requirements, BUT they will look much more favourably on you if you do well, show dedication and have extra curricular activities.

Best of luck, currently waiting on my waiver to go through the pipeline for my fucking eyes.
>>
Gonna finish up my OCS packet with the recruiter tomorrow morning and then it's off to MEPS and to take the ASVAB. Any last minute advice?
>>
What's the best branch if I want to work on planes? Or fly them?
>>
>>33766545

Air Force.
>>
>>33766545
Navy.
>>
>>33766545
Civil Air Patrol.
>>
>>33766522
What branch has you "finish" an OCS packet before you've gone to MEPS and have taken the ASVAB?
>>
File: IMG_3830.png (290KB, 500x403px)
IMG_3830.png
290KB, 500x403px
>>
>>33766617
Army, I'm just doing what my recruiter says. I can tell he doesn't know much about the officer side of things, but what am I going to do?
>>
>>33766545
Air National Guard in a fighter wing.

The ANG is good in that you know exactly were you'll be and what you'll be doing.
>>
>>33766642
Can I do ASVAB and MEPS for Airforce without signing any contracts? I want to try my hardest to get my AFSC/MOS on the contract instead of being picked up as some open aptitude field
>>
>>33766642
I get that, so you do MEPS, ASVAB, then finish off the shit in your OCS packet. Did he give you board dates? I think it's July for submission and September for selection
>>
File: IMG_3831.jpg (18KB, 224x225px)
IMG_3831.jpg
18KB, 224x225px
>>33756488
>>
>>33766666
nice digits
>>
File: IMG_3832.jpg (65KB, 688x458px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3832.jpg
65KB, 688x458px
>>
>>33766671
He told me the next board is in July, maybe he meant that's when I'm supposed to submit.
>>33766666
Nice digits. You can in the Army, I'd guess it's the same for the AF.
>>
>>33756433
>God I just want to get started already but I have 2 decades of fatass to work through. Maybe someday.

I'm probably misquoting this, but there's a saying I particularly love that goes something like this: Patience is the bitterest thing to endure, but bears the sweetest fruit.

Anyway, I'm pulling for you anon. I'm down 90 lbs myself with the hopes of joining the Coast Guard Reserves someday. Yeah, sounds like a hell of a thing, but dreams and goals are what make our lives worth living. Don't let where you are deter you from where you're going. Respect.
>>
>>33766241
Whats wrong with your eyes?

I had surgery on them (PRK) almost 5 years ago which is why I am asking.

>You qualify for it based on your GPA and passing the basic requirements, BUT they will look much more favourably on you if you do well, show dedication and have extra curricular activities.
Good coz my GPA sux. How long on average till I see some financial aid from them? I'll have to pull a loan to pay for housing initially, otherwise I commute about an hour, haven't decided if it's worth it yet.
>>
>>33766563
>>33766580
>>33766593
Go on
>>
So I'm attempting to go in to the USAF as a PJ, CCT, or SERE depending on what I can get into. How often would I get deployed, and for how long? My recruiter didn't really give me much info on the matter, and told me that all 3 jobs don't really get deployed, but rather go on missions. I dunno didn't sound right to me.
>>
>>33767120
Out of all those three, CCT deploy the most.
>>
>>33767167
By any chance would you know how often I would be deployed and for how long as a CCT?
>>
>>33767120
Every time I read these same fucking posts, I always think you're some scrawny little shit, or some giant fatfuck with absolutely no idea how unfit he is.
I hope this isnt true for your sake
>>
>>33767120
>>33767203
Damn that was me asking about those same jobs not long ago. Did your recruiter really get you hype on enlisting for special ops?
>>
>>33767120
>3 jobs don't really get deployed
>PJ
There's literally a public documentary on PJs being deployed 6 months at a time....
Your recruiter doesn't think you have what it takes.
>>
>>33767239
Everyone wants to be a Ranger.
Everyone wants to go to BUD/s.
Everyone wants to have an 18x contract
Everyone wants to have an Option 40 to their name
Yet the fucking attrition rate is like 80%
I swear if you sit on /k/ more than you're in the gym, running, shooting, or fucking, you're not going to make it in SOF.
It's a goddamn delusion
>>
>>33767244
Alright thanks for the info, I was offered those jobs, so I had no idea what I was getting into, but my recruiter could have been fucking with me. Honestly I was just looking to go into ATC or Sensor Operator originally.

>>33767239
Honestly I was gonna just take the jobs cause I was offered them, when I went to the Navy they offered me Nuclear Propulsion, and I said fuck that.
>>
I have secondary hypogonadism which basically means i'm very low test and need monthly test injections, can i still enlist?
>>
>>33767286
See if you can enlist as female
>>
>>33766151
Blue to green is just a meme. Enjoy the next 4+ years of eating shit, sucker.
>>
>>33755861
I'm 5'9 and planning on joining the Australian army as an infantryman. Am I short for a soldier? Will I cop shit for it? Will it make some stuff harder?
>>
>>33767258
You're trying to fight an ocean of delusion. It's useless, senpai.

As far as the internet is concerned, everybody going into the military is going to make it into special operations, and they are simply blessed.
>>
>>33768361
>tfw I realized for the first time that I wasn't ever going to become an operator
At least I've come to terms with it
>>
>>33767258
I don't even know why so many want to go there. Being a tanker or aircrewman would be cooler in my view.
>>
>>33765085
fair enough
that said, would i be better off grabbing a degree before enlisting or just heading straight in? 19 years old right now
>>
>>33768146
Idk about Australia, but 5'9" is by no means overly short for the us military.
>>
>>33760652
You can tell your recruiter that you will not leave without a guranteed job and that you would rather wait for your preferred job to become available
>>
>>33768560
For the air force? No. They'd just tell him to fuck right off.
>>
>>33766731
Come on man and you want to be an officer? You need to find this shit out
>>
Do Marines have to go though Ranger training before going to Delta Force? Or do they have to have a few years in SEAL Teams after their Ranger training before Delta will pick them up?

Im askimg because I want to be a Marine in Delta Force but my recruiter told me I would have to go through Ranger training. Does this sound right? Is he lying to me, /K/?
>>
File: deeb.png (4KB, 117x98px) Image search: [Google]
deeb.png
4KB, 117x98px
>>33768752
oh wow, jesus christ m8, deep six yourself pls
>>
Is it best to just show up at a recruitment office cold, or should I call ahead? How much should I know in general outside of fields of interest? I know the quality of information I'll be receiving will depend entirely on my recruiter and whether or not they actually give a shit about their job, but I figure I'd ask
>>
>>33768830
Call ahead but know 99% of recruiters are dumbshit retards who will lie to you
>>
File: bismo.jpg (258KB, 1662x935px)
bismo.jpg
258KB, 1662x935px
>>33768779
can't detect satire
>>
File: 611256786540.png (298KB, 2271x2380px) Image search: [Google]
611256786540.png
298KB, 2271x2380px
>>33768844
Yeah, taking anything I hear with boulder of salt. I'm assuming since the vast majority of people they get interested in enlisting are civilians with no prior mil exp they'll expect me to not know shit?
>>
>>33768779
Look, I wanna be just like Chester Puller and a Marine in Delta Force with Ranger training would help the team. I just am asking because I have a keen eye and dont believe everything my recruiter told me and I dont want to have to spend time as a Navy SEAL if I don't have to before going for Delta Force.
>>
>>33768876
Do your own research, KNOW what you want to do. Yes they take advantage of people. Some are worse than others.

>me, enlisting into Army as 31D which requires a bachelor's to make it entry level
>31D is treated more like officer than enlisted since they get a housing allowance and their chain of command is a little more disjointed than other MOS
>so it's comfy for an enlisted gig
>a recruiter tries to convince me the best course of action is to enlist as something else and reclass to 31D a few years down the road
>is basically saying do shit you don't want to do and endure years of living in barracks because I'm a lazy fuck and 31D doesn't help me recruitment quota as much
>try explaining the absurdity of what he is saying
>saying I'll get "respected more" if I do it the traditional way instead of the new way
>promptly request to work with new recruiter

Here's another one.

>wasted months of my life waiting on a MED read to get physically clear
>months and months go by
>consult the Reddit army recruitment boards
>recruiter there says you don't need a med read, you need a SPF which transfers ownership of my documents from the marines to the army b/c I previously did processing with the marines
>thats exactly what I needed
>wasted months of my life b/c recruiter was dumbfuck
>>
>>33768876
They will assume you don't know a god damn thing. They're used to dealing with high school kids who are clueless beyond what they see in CoD and movies.

So first time you walk in they'll just give you a question sheet, talk a bit about if you know what you want to do, why you want to join. It's gonna be brief and don't expect them to be too friendly or enthusiastic. They might ask you what you are interested in but a lot of it will come down to after you do your EST which is a mini-asvab and then they might try to steer you towards a job.

It seems like people have some really bad experiences with recruiters but mine was really chill and he didn't try to steer me towards any job. I said what i wanted and he never questioned that or tried to change my mind. Just asked what about it interested me and stuff.

So this is extremely important, look on the website, compare the jobs and find one that you like. Don't let them suggest one to you based on some loose description you give them. It's your responsibility to yourself to make damn sure that you pick a job you could be ok with doing for a few years.

Research, research, research. If you come in knowing what you want you'll be ok, if you come off as a clueless idiot they'll just sucker you into a shit job by offering you a bonus or something.
>>
>>33768902
How think you can take Regiment training and go off and fight for the Marines in Delta Force? You pathetic weakling. You couldn't hack it in Regiment. I would smoke you so hard. I would smoke you day and night. I would make you wish you never joined Regiment. Regiment is way more tougher than Delta force and Seal Team Six combined. In Regiment we are deployed 365 days a year. I've been living in Afghanistan since 2002 since I joined Regiment,

We don't want you in Regiment if you aren't willing to devote your life to Regiment. Go join the Seals faggot
>>
File: 1471861303496.jpg (108KB, 600x746px)
1471861303496.jpg
108KB, 600x746px
>>33768923
Thanks for the advice. I'm 24 with a bachelor's, looking into AF. Your greentext could very well apply to some fuckery if I get a shitty recruiter.
>>33768942
Gonna do some research over the next week or so and probably post again instead of lurking.

Thanks for the tips, lads
>>
>>33765887
It's doesn't matter, they will teach you the Navy Way of Scuba diving open loop and rebreather.
In their eyes Civi Scuba training is completely irelevant. But it's better to know the training before and have experience before hand diving and being comfortable underwater. Alot of people in buds go on to be commerical divers or do tech diving recreationaly

I wouldn't say anything only becuase it will put in a postion of being a know it all and the instructors will probably put on the spot and be less forgiving on fuckups since you should know as an experienced diver.

Also the dive part is after hell week which is the hardest part.
>>
>>33769118
put you* on the spot*
>>
>>33769111
>Air force

Well as you can read previously in this thread you can't pick a job specifically in the air force, you can only pick a list of the jobs you prefer and then they'll let you know which one you get. So make sure you pick a list of acceptable jobs.

And if you're dealing with a AF recruiter they won't return your calls and they'll be pricks in general. So be ready for that.
>>
>>33769111
>>33769126
He has a bachelor's and as I understand it OTS DOES let you specifically pick a job. On paper, it's probably the best officer program in the military.

Problem is is the competition and limited slots. Guy near me whi handles it says he is only able to test 6 people a month for the AFOQT so you basically have to get interviewed to take the test, and all the good jobs mostly go to academy guys and your changes of getting something you want is slim unless it's shit.

Army recruiters also don't return my calls. Some don't even return text like a jaded girlfriend or some shit. And then if you play aggressive and call them constantly (which you need to do if there is the slightest problem like a waiver or something) they will crack wise about it when you come in the office. Oh, sorry I bothered you by basically doing your job for you you worthless piece of shit
>>
>>33769163
He never specified he was looking to be an officer so I assumed he was enlisting. OTS is a very different animal indeed.
>>
>>33769126
>>33769163
>>33769182
I haven't really made any decisions between OTS and enlisting desu, still in the fetal stages of making my mind up on big decisions like that
>>
>>33769210
Well bear in mind the Army has the selection, the bonuses, and the ease of promotions. I used to never understand why people would go the vanilla route of the army when I wanted to be a muhreen but now I do
>>
>>33769210
Do you want to ship out soon or do you want to wait all the months it takes for OCS? We could be talking about a year or more here.
>>
>>33769163
Guy who wanted to go into SWCC/buds here
Is it just me or are recruiters functionality retarded or are they actually robots part of some DARPA project that's obviously still in testing.

I feel like I rather approach it like an interview for a job. I'm tired of the canned responses.
>>
>>33769237
>I feel like I rather approach it like an interview for a job

You are literally applying for a job. So yeah.
>>
>>33769225
I've looked somewhat heavily into the Air Force specifically; both granddad's were in the USAF and have a couple of airmen buddies I loosely keep in contact with from high school. Navy was the only other branch I considered, mainly due to my girlfriend's brother being in for 8 years, but I'm not sure if it'd be my first choice.
>>33769235
Timeframe isn't really a concern of mine at all, at this point. I suppose at (soon to be) 25 I'll be starting later than average, but at least I don't feel like a retarded 17 year old, now.
>>
>>33769279
Well being older will be a factor for how competitive you are for OCS. You can enlist without any problem even if you're older but when applying for officer it's actually a big commitment, you can't go into it with the attitude of "yeah I guess I could be an officer I suppose"

I guess you can talk to your recruiter about it.

But don't lock yourself too hard to the air force, shop around between the branches and find what's best for you.
>>
Any reason to go army intel over air force intel?
>>
>>33769453
You can pick your precise job in the army and the bonuses are bigger
>>
>>33769453

Are you asking about enlistment or commissioning?
>>
>>33769506
Enlisting. I will have a degree.
>>
>>33769506
I would assume enlisting since you can't count on getting any specific job if you commission Army
>>
I'm 28 and have a mediocre GPA, but am graduating (finally) this spring with a degree in Chinese. I'm fluent and can speak/read/write. I also interned at a reasonably well regarded defense think tank last summer.

Will my age fuck me over for OCS? Hoping increasing instability and the very specific skills and knowledge I have will give me a shot. If not, I guess I'll just go to law school.
>>
>>33769522

Why?
>>
>>33769539
I don't have the grades to commission, I don't want to deal with officer politics and all that bullshit, I'm not joining for money and I don't want to be a manger
>>
>>33769555

>don't want to be a manager

Intel is one of the fields where Officers don't just manage.

>don't want to deal with officer politics

I don't know why enlisted try to sell you on enlisted life being divorced from bureaucratic politics. It isn't, everything is political.

>I don't have the grades to commission

That's unfortunate.

First real question: do you have any interest in HUMINT or CI?
>>
>>33769570
Somewhat, I was mostly looking at 35F but I've heard that it's sort of the meme MI MOS.
>>
>>33769614

Analyst isn't a meme.

At entry level the Air Force has every intel opportunity that the Army has but with the added perk of you doing it in the Air Force, minus entry level HUMINT, but Army junior enlisted don't really get to do source ops anyway, just interrogations most of the time so the point is moot.

Check out 1N0X.
>>
>>33769538
This is a simple google search

You have until 32
>>
>>33769645
At entry level you are right, but remember Army has CI and CID where the USAF rolls them both into OSI
>>
>>33769770

And if he was going to do that I'd honestly recommend the Coast Guard.
>>
>>33769645
Guess I should just stick with the Air Force then. How long would you have to be in to do Air Force HUMINT?

Also noob question but why does the Air Force have HUMINT specialists? It seems like more of a tactical type thing where as I always picture the Air Force to be more strategic or geographic with intel.
>>
>>33769789
Can you elaborate on that
>>
Do I need to aquire a passport prior to enlisting if I want to be stationed oversees?
>>
>>33769818

Because you can't beat quality HUMINT.

>How long

3 years until you either go OSI or 1N7X.

>>33769829

CGIS has special powers. It can investigate military personnel but isn't overburdened by silly ass cases since the Coast Guard is so small. It investigates civilians because it has police powers, and is the only military investigative agency that doesn't need 1811s to do this. It also gather intelligence overseas.

Basically CGIS is king if you're going that route. You have to be E6 to be eligible but you make rank in the guard much faster.
>>
>>33769870
Ah, gotcha. Sounds good but I'm not willing to choose that over going straight into 31D with the army
>>
>>33769918

With 31D you'll only ever investigate and arrest your own though.
>>
>>33769834

I don't think so, but get one anyway because they are good to have.
>>
>>33770082
I guess, but it would take me years to get to E-6 and reclass. It sucks but I wish there was an easier way into the other investigative arms
>>
>>33770082
Do you know how changes branches and keeping your rank works?
>>
>>33770132

Only a few years as a coastie. Probably 3 or less if you take it seriously, the rate at which they make rank is fucking nuts.

>>33770139

If you were going to shoot for a transfer you'd probably be better off doing the 31d thing, then going 1811 in CGIS or going for Warrant because of your prior experience.
>>
>>33770171
Thanks, I was hoping on an 1811 gig afterward but I am accepting to the fact that if I knock a girl up and/or get married in the next five years I may be hesitant to leave and get on the job hunt treadmill. I'll see where the future takes me I guess
>>
File: merchantmarine.jpg (19KB, 300x300px)
merchantmarine.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>They still don't know about the Merchant Marine cheat code
>>
>>33764639
I used Space A to get to Hickam and then to Yokota. Had to use commercial air back to the states because shitty scheduling.

Unless you have a lot of leave to burn, don't use Space A as your Plan A for travel.
>>
>>33764164
Do they haze privates that are 25 or 26 years old? I plan on maybe enlisting and shooting for a ranger contract after i graduate college, and ill be older than the average private. I mean Id still join if there was hazing for the older guys, im just curious. Also, what is day to day life like in the regiment?
>>
>>33770731
The bigger question is if what he is saying is true why do you even want to be a part of that? Bragging rights? I guarantee you nobody is going to care or know the difference of what you did in the military
>>
>>33770250
That's not military related.
This thread is for people interested in joining the military.
>>
>>33770171
Is it easy to get BAH in the Coast Guard? I dated a girl who was an E-3 getting BAH in Florida so I'd assume so
>>
>>33768752
You know what's funny is that you're just joking but don't realise that recon marines can actually go to Ranger school (not RASP but Ranger School) and that they're actually have been Marines join Delta, believe it or not.
>>
>>33770874

Sure it is, in many ways. There's the Academy, and there's the fact that people in certain military jobs can go right into the Merchant Marine for good money.
>>
>>33765887
How the fuck can you run a 9 minute 1.5 but can't do situps
>>
>>33770915
That does not make it a branch of the military at all.
So it's not military.
Twist bullshit anyway you want though.
>>
File: black_latex.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
black_latex.webm
2MB, 640x640px
What are common reasons people get disqualified on a FLIGHT medical?
>>
How does one go about applying to serve abroad as a coastie?
>Activities Europe, PATFORSWA, Activities Far East
Recruiter learned upon asking that there are service members in Japan.
>>
>>33771220
Join the Navy
>>
Is there not a single person here who went through BUD/s passed or fail?
>>
>>33771321
>turkish clock making chat room

>finding someone who passed BUDs
>>
>>33771357
Well I mean there's that F-22 pilot who posts here with time stamped photos so something has to give.
But I agree 4chan is a huge waste of time, but its opinions I want.
>>
>>33771357
>or fail
>>
>>33768444
It depends on what you want to do. Do you want to go enlisted or officer?
>>
>>33770731
Everone gets it when theyre new, there is no getting around that. And I don't want it misconstrued as "frat" hazing, it isnt. Youll just get smoked all the time, like, for hours each day,throughout the night. Smoked for being new, smoked for not having a tab, all pvts in the hallway it's time for nightly smoke session. It isnt harmful or anything and it is simply a part of the culture. Learn your job, dont quit, deploy a few times and youll be fine. The quicker you become an asset the sooner all of the dumb shit ends. That can take a year or two on average depending on RS class openings, training cycles and deployments.

If you dont want the stupid, go to SF or some other SOF. Since Regiment grows their own there is a certain way to things as a lot of guys are young upon arrival. It's just the way of it.
>>
>>33771726
lol this sounds so fucking gay
>>
>>33771726
smoke smoke smoke

HOOAH
>>
>>33771726
>And I don't want it misconstrued as "frat" hazing, it isnt.

This actually sounds exactly like frat hazing
>>
>>33771844
>>33771834
>>33771772
Then I guess that is what it is. He asked.
>>
>>33771896
I honestly don't doubt it's like that it's just i can't see how you could phrase it any worse. It's like reading a cooking recipe and making it sound like a horror story
>>
>>33771977
It's just jumping jacks and mountain climbers lmao. Pretty much anything further than that is against the UCMJ
>>
What are the odds of enlisting in AF and being placed in a AFSC/MOS that I really don't want?
>>
>>33769614
>that it's sort of the meme MI MOS.

Oh shit homie, you better call every single agency in the IC and let them know that all source analysis is a meme.
>>
>>33772039
I'm curious of this too
>>
>>33772039

You'll probably get at least one thing you picked as an option. Don't flunk out of tech school and you won't get stuck with something you don't want.
>>
>>33772759
I have this fear of enlisting that no matter how good I do at MEPs or ASVAB they will just slot me in one of the open contract fields and fuck me over for at minimum 4 years, giving me zero shot at what I actually wanted to do.. Please tell me this doesn't actually happen unless I fuck up big time or aren't eligible for the jobs I wanted anyway
>>
>>33772861
Join a different branch.
>>
>>33772861
You can always say fuck you and walk away if they slot you for a job you don't want, and then go join the Army/Navy. You know you'll make it through MEPS, and you won't have wasted too much time.
You aren't actually in the military until you swear in a second time before getting on the plane to BMT.

They'll pitch a fit, but it's the only way things are going to change. Once recruiting squadrons see people walk when they can't get the job they want, they'll push back against AFRS and things will change.
>>
>>33772861
If you can't think of 10 things you'd like to do, join the army. I think you'll be happier with the certainty.
>>
>>33772973
I certainly do have 10 things I'd like to do, hes making me pick 9 and make the 10th open.
>>
>>33773009
Just do what I said earlier.

See what you get, and if you don't like it, join the Army.
>>
>>33773070
>>33773070
>>33773070

NEW THREAD ALREADY

>>33773070
>>33773070
>>33773070
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.