[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best tip up barrel pistol.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Bobcat.jpg (122KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
Bobcat.jpg
122KB, 736x552px
I've found myself interested in tip-up semi auto pistols. As far as I know, the only pistols that have this feature are made by Beretta in smaller calibers. (Bobcat, Tomcat, Jetfire)

Of these pistols which would you guys recommend, and in which calibers? What are some pros/cons about each of these?

I don't plan on getting one for self defense or anything serious. I'm just looking for a neat gat to plink with.
>>
>>33749462
>As far as I know, the only pistols that have this feature are made by Beretta
Some older pistols made by Manufrance also had tip up barrels. Not made anymore however.
>>
I have the 950BS model (.25 acp with safety) it's a great little pocket pistol, the only complaint I have is that .25acp is a little pricy for what it is.

I think all of these have about the same build quality, so if it's just for fun get the .22 version (jetfire I think, but I could be wrong).
>>
Are the Phoenix arms pistols tip up?
>>
>>33749520
phoenix arms are not tip up, but Taurus makes a clone of the beretta
>>
>>33749462
You should probably get the .22 LR version simply because of cost/convenience. .25 ACP is difficult to find outside of the internet in many places, and the .32 ACP version that they made had widespread issues with cracking on the slides/frames (forgot which).

One thing you should look into though is whether the .22 LR one is finicky about what ammo you feed it. A lot of these kinds of guns only play nice when given Mini-Mags, Stingers, or other higher quality rounds.
>>
>>33749668
there's an improved version
>>
File: IMAG0515.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0515.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>33749462
#1 pocket pistol, I have a .25 its fun but yea i dont usually depend on it for protection, but i have carried it before. The sights are pretty shitty at least on mine. im pretty sure the barrels are easily changeable so If you want one just for plinking you might want to look for a longer barrel to put on.
>>
>>33749668
>issues with cracking on the slides/frames (forgot which).

It was the frames on early Tomcat .32s, but I believe it was fixed at one point with a different alloy frame. I haven't seen any new Tomcats for sale recently, so they may have ended production.
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg (22KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg
22KB, 367x500px
>>33749462
>I've found myself interested in tip-up semi auto pistols
>Of these pistols which would you guys recommend, and in which calibers?

These kinds of threads are so fucking cringey, desu.

>>33724420
>Buying a Makarov made me discover an appreciation for this type of simple, straight-blowback pistol. Can /k/ recommend other quality guns of this type?

These are all "semi auto" type pistols. If you want a good semi-auto, it's going to be one that's chambered in 9mm or larger with a locked-breech action, like a 1911 or a Glock. The straight blowback designs only work in smaller calibers, and this is mostly a cost-saving measure.

If you honestly just want to collect a tip up barrel pistol because you need to have one of everything, then just buy a Beretta in whatever caliber you want (.22lr, .22 short, .25 acp or .32 acp). The only other guns with tip up barrels are a couple old French military pistols that aren't in production anymore and Taurus garbage that should be avoided. A simply Google search would have told you this.

>>33749668
You can get .32 acp ammo online for $12/box, and .25 acp for not much more. In my experience, the .22 ones jam quite a lot. As someone else pointed out, Beretta has beefed up the slide of their .32 caliber Tomcat so it no longer cracks, although it's not the thinnest pocket gun on the market.
>>
>.22 jamming
I hear this alot, but most people who advocate this kind of gun claim , as mentioned, it needs a high quality round like a mini mag. To be fair, this was pretty normal until recently. The current crop if .22 pistols are a good deal more reliable than their predecessors, save for the ruger mk.

My uncle had one of the . 22s and my experience with it was the same. It choked on bulk pack but ran fine on mimimags. If you just want it as a toy I don't thing the caliber matters much. It's not the kind of gun you are going to put thousands and thousands of rounds through, ammo cost isn't a big deal.

I keep waffling between one of these, and one of those surplus m71s (beretta styling, but a little bigger and not tip up)
>>
>>33750264
They had a couple new ones at cabelas I saw last week.
>>
The Steyr Pieper 1909 has a tip up barrel, it's a pretty old concept
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.