[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WWII helmets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Might be the right place to ask, but how good was the Mk III and Mk IV helmet compared to the German and American helmets of WWII?
>>
File: 1468780914963.jpg (26KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1468780914963.jpg
26KB, 256x256px
>>33747295
like shit lad.
>>
>>33747295
Not too good
The design was pretty good for trench warfare though
>>
>>33747295
Not great. The wide rim of the Mk. III and IV was an artifact of WWI. The reason the Brodie looked the way it did was simple: it didn't protect against bullets it protected against shrapnel and debris from artillery. When you're in a trench that about the only thing that can kill you.

Problem is when the world moved to WWII and mobilization became more necessary for victory trench warfare and Brodie style helmets became obsolete. That in addition to the fact that as more SMGs entered the field the amount of rounds stopped by helmets increased dramatically.

Although realistically helmets aren't worn to stop bullets. They're worn to stop head injury. Same reason they're worn on a construction site. The Mk. III and IV just don't do that as well as the stahlhelm or M1. Not to mention the fact they're a liability to those around you. I mean hell ask a couple hundred thousand men to walk around with a half meter disc on their head and there's going to be problems.
>>
>>33747975
>>33748846
Ok, thanks guys.

I suppose I'm just surprised because as far as I knew British kit was generally superior to German or American so I assumed the helmet was too.
>>
>>33750600
>Lee Enfield
>better than a Garand or K98
LMAO
>>
>>33750658
It was a lot better than the K98, that isn't even debatable. And a trained rifleman with the Lee-Enfield could fire 10 aimed rounds faster than an American with the Garand could.
>>
>>33750664
Lindyberge what are you doing on /k/?
>>
>>33750664
also no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w16pXWL2B2k
>>
>>33750664
>Lee-Enfield could fire 10 aimed rounds faster than an American with the Garand could
It would tear the arse off the K98 and the old yank Springfield but not the Garand.
>>
>>33750936
>>33750664
People who try and say the K98 was better than the Lee Enfield as a combat weapon are morons.

People that argue the LE is better than the Garand are not much better.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (11KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
11KB, 236x300px
>>33748846
To echo this,
The main role of a helmet of this era still revolved around shrapnel. But one has to think about which direction the shrapnel is coming from. In a mobile war like WWII raining shrapnel is supplemented by more lateral crap then you'd have in WWII.

In this area, the US and German designs are superior.

One could argue, that for bullet deflection, the flattened shape of the brodie could be of more use if a bullet was to glance off the top of the head - but I think that the difference for stopping direct impact is negligible.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.