[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bluing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0779.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0779.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Today, stripped this for second time after paint failure.

It is now freshly sanded. Do I need to oil it if I let it sit for a day?

Will the imperfections in the metal be an issue with bluing?
>>
>>33743579
Typically you oil it after the bluing process. Right now you want to make sure that theres no oil on it, gun oil or oil form your greasy fingers.
>>
File: IMG_0393.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0393.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33743599
I sanded it with gloves on.
It's dry now, just wasn't sure if it's a good idea to let it sit exposed until I can sand it more.
I want to just use the bluing paste they sell. I'm traveling hotel to hotel right now and paint was a huge fail.
>>
OP it looks like this is your first rodeo with bluing and sanding.

If you want the bluing to at least look even, get a glass bowl that you can fit your gun parts in, put your gun in there and fill it with acetone. It won't rust, and it'll remove ANYTHING from the gun that could mess with the blue. When you get ready to blue tomorrow, dry the gun carefully, by then it'll be clean and free of anything that could fuck your blue.
>>
>>33743579
oh god are you the fuck that was boiling his CZ in a bath of draino and shit?

JUST LET THE CZ DIE, IT SUFFERED ENOUGH
>>
>>33744400
>>33743579
Oh and while you have it in there, give it a very careful brushing with a toothbrush or something to ensure you get all the corners perfectly clean and everything.

Varsol will also work instead of acetone.
>>
>>33743641
Get some acetone or alcohol and rub that bitch down to ensure you got all the last of the oil or any left over bits of metal that havent fallen off yet.
>>
>>33744400
Thank you!
Appreciate the tip
>>
>>33743579

Rust blue it.
>>
>>33744421
No clue what you're talking about bought it like >>33743641
>>
>>33744428
There is no overkill when prepping for blue. After I've done the solvent scrub and bath, I often get fresh gloves on and solvent scrub it again, then do the blue.

I expect you're doing cold blue. Since you are doing cold blue, taking care of it after is important and requires more care than hot blue.

Right after the cold blue, you need to wash the bluing stuff off with hot soapy water. I wash it many times over, then rinse two or three times with hot water. Then I dry it quickly, the gun will be a rust magnet at that point, so drowning it in WD-40 is vital. From the water rinse to the towel dry to the WD-40, only a few seconds should pass.

WD-40 is a water displacement formula, so it'll remove any moisture. By drowning, I do mean drowning. I keep them completely soaked for a week, WD-40 spray again, wipe down, then drown in gun oil. After a few days, wipe off the excess gun oil and it should be good after.

Had some parts rust up after a cold blue but with the process outlined above I haven't had a problem.
>>
File: gggg.jpg (31KB, 1280x532px) Image search: [Google]
gggg.jpg
31KB, 1280x532px
>>33743579
>He dosent just leave all his small parts in a coffee mug or similar small dish and fuck everything up trying to sort whats what when putting it back together.
Plebs.
>>
>>33744443
Like a forced patina?
>>
>>33743641
You need to wipe down all surfaces you intend to finish with acetone/paint thinner, use a microfiber cloth. Would seriously recommend you put a proper finish on it (no, bluing is not) so you won't have this problem recur.
>>
>>33744567
Rust bluing is a slow process, takes about a month to finish. Leaves an extremely dark brown-black color, it's quite nice.
>>
>>33743579
Don't oil it till after you reblue it. Here's a video on how to do it. If you do it right, you will have a beautiful finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPD3GWqk-yE
>>
>>33743579
>Do I need to oil it if I let it sit for a day?

yes

then degrease
>>
>>33743579
>after paint failure.

how did you fuck up painting it
>>
File: before-after-(1).jpg (118KB, 932x828px) Image search: [Google]
before-after-(1).jpg
118KB, 932x828px
>>33744443
I'll agree with this anon. My grandfather got a really worn model 10 a couple years ago, it maybe had 20% of it's original finish on it left. Rust bluing takes time, but it leaves one of the sexiest finishes imaginable.
>>
>>33746405
looks like standard sanding and bluing to me
>>
File: before-after-(2).jpg (200KB, 720x683px) Image search: [Google]
before-after-(2).jpg
200KB, 720x683px
>>33746416
Ahh, you're right. I posted the wrong picture.
>>
>>33746464
still looks pretty standard to me
>>
File: 1j6a8x.jpg (67KB, 827x521px) Image search: [Google]
1j6a8x.jpg
67KB, 827x521px
>>33746469
It partly depends on how many times you go through the process. If you keep on repeating it over and over you can a really nice and even deep black/blue coloration.

I just wish I had some decent comparison pictures of a cold blue vs a rust blue that went through 8-10 sessions.
>>
>>33746498
cold blue is always shit
that's a fact
>>
>>33744567
Nigga
GET YOU SOME BELGIAN BLUING
take a heavy metal pot, do all the prepwork other anons have mentioned and take your belgian blue. Apply it in even, long strokes to whatever you're bluing. Take the pot, fill it with water and get it boiling. Dunk your gun parts in there for a few, until a velvety layer of "rust" forms. If you have a dremel, take a CARDING WHEEL NOT SANDPAPER and card off all the fine velvet. Swab on more belgian blue and repeat until you have the desired satin finish
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.