[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any /k/ommandos here that were infantry in the Army?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

Is there any /k/ommandos here that were infantry in the Army?

I'm studying in college right now, and I'm thinking of going as infantry.

I know it's annoying for a civilian to ask this but I'm genuinely curious about what the infantry life is like.

>What do you guys do when you're not deployed?
>What's the daily life like when you're back in the homeland and living in base?
>What's the daily life like when you're deployed?
>Do you guys get any days off?
>Do you enjoy it?
>Do you guys share dorms or you get one for yourself?
>How often do you stay outside of the FOB for a mission?
>What are most missions like? Do you hike it a lot?
>Would you recommend it?

I feel like I need to do something like Infantry so I don't feel like I didn't do anything useful during my enlistment.
>>
>>33742555
>What do you guys do when you're not deployed?
there is a set training schedule. Trips to the field weapons quals, etc
>What's the daily life like when you're back in the homeland and living in base?
Can be pretty chill as Infantry. If you are not in the field all 3 day Federal holidays are 4 day weekends. Around Christmas you go to a half day work schedule if you didn't take leave.
>What's the daily life like when you're deployed?
War is 99% boredom and 1% terror.
>blah blah blah
>Do you guys share dorms or you get one for yourself?
Depends on how old your barracks are. most places I shared a room with one other person, sometimes our room had to share a bathroom with the next room, sometimes not.
>Would you recommend it?
here's what I can tell you, you join the Army for one of two reasons 1) Muh Technical training! or 2) adventure
You want adventure join 11B not 11X, with airborne option at a min.
After you are in, you need to decide, one and done, or career. do you enlistment and gtfo or be a lifer. There is no in between.
I did two tours Iraq 11B, I earned my CIB. It taught me who I am, and gave me a great disdain for people who half step it and don't care about standards.
>>
>>33742793
>join 11b, not 11x
Ask me how I know you weren't in.
>>
>>33742793
I see, the thing is I feel like I wanna do something more for my country ( I am a mexican immigrant after all) and I want to do something that I can be proud of because I know I put my life on the line for it. Thank you though anon, I'll screenshot this and keep it in mind for the rest of my college years. Then I'll make the decision. Owe you one bro.

One last question though, and it's a bit personal. I have my uncle who never liked to talk about his time in Afghanistan and became bitter when he came back and got his DD214. Would I end up as bitter as him? Do infantrymen come back bitter and never change?

Anybody else feel free to put your input, I would love to get as much info as possible.
>>
>>33742833
I joined in 1991 on an 11X contract which ment I was going to be 11M unless there was a shortage of 11H/C. I went back on active in 2000 as 11M and got turned into a 11B in 2001 along with every other 11M. I did two tours inna Iraq and got out in 2006 despite the promise of a meritorious promotion to E7 because I was on orders to go back for a third tour with a 12 man MTT. I signed a Deck Statement and got hit with a bar to reenlist and just ETSed about 6 moths later.Still think I never served?
>>
>>33742873
your uncle sounds like he was angry and bitter before he joined. Would you end up bitter like him? I don't know, maybe? Maybe if you join as Infantry and never go to war and get out after your enlistment, you might be bitter.
>>
File: IMG_0326.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0326.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
>>33742555

Everyday life typically consists of PT at 6:30, work at 9, which could be anything from laying out equipment for an entire day just to put it back, or fuck around in the motor pool with broken vehicles, or sitting in a class room being told not to rape people for 8 hours by a fat negress. With the occasional field op of course. Usually off work by 5pm.

During deployment you typically sit around try to and fix shit while occasionally dodging mortars and small arms fire. If you're lucky you'll get a big operation or two.

Honestly it sucks for the most part but its worth doing.

Barracks depends on your unit. Mine had 2 rooms that shared a bathroom and kitchen, others had a single room that housed 3-4 people. Luck of the draw.

Most missions I took part in included walking up and down shitty mountains carrying your body weight in gear and waiting for some faggot to shoot at you. Sometimes we'd stop to chat to some locals and hope they didn't try to lure us into a trap.

Yes its worth it. Doing shit you don't want to do will turn you into the man you want to be.

Not sure about your uncle. Some people are fine, some return fucked up. Most return fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep a positive state of mind.

t. former 11b 2010-2013
>>
>>33742939
>11M
>>33742833
>Ask me how I know you weren't in.

He's a bit older than you anon. Back in the day the 11CMF had a few extra enlisted MOS other than 11B and 11C including 11F (at least as far back as Vietnam, I don't remember when it was done away with), 11M, and 11H. The latter two were eliminated relatively recently. I went through AIT in 2007 with two guys who were MOS-T and originally enlisted as 11M (mechanized inf) and 11H (AT gunner, was originally trained on the Dragon).
>>
>>33743133
11M guy here again, when I got to my first mech unit we had 5 line companies. Echo was the AT company, a MTOE hold over from when mech units had 113s. I saw the Army get rid of the the Echo companies, and when I came back on active duty in 2000 they were getting rid of the Delta companies. Now I guess all mech Infantry units are two companies of Brads and two companies of tanks?
>>
File: 1492924058605.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1492924058605.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>33742793

Was not infantry, or army for that fact, but his general advice to chose 'one and done' or lifer is sound.

Military service can be the rocket fuel for a new career. 4-6 years of solid work experience can make you a young and valuable asset in the civilian workforce. If your goal was adventure, it's not too late to join the "real world" after an enlistment term ends.

Retirement has its obvious perks.

Doing more than 6 but less than 20 is for chumps. You'll miss out on that sweet window of opportunity where you can market yourself as a twenty-something seasoned professional. You come out as an average amongst your civilian peers, but leave the service with no more benefits than the guys that did one term.
>>
>>33742939
>>33743133
My bad. You don't get a choice on your contract anymore, it's 11x unless you're national guard. They tell you what you are in the first day of OSUT. You're still gay though.
>>
>>33742939
not him but isnt 11x infantry with a preference for ranger or something? maybe thats 18x... I know 11b is infantry but cant really recall the specifics
>>
>>33743254
>hey tell you what you are in the first day of OSUT
yea, I found out my first day at 30th AG I was an 11M which confused me because "I thought my MOS was 11X Sgt?" to which he responded "SHUTUP! YOU'RE 11M! NOW GET BACK IN LINE!"
THe smell of Simplegreen, Brasso, and mothballs always makes me think of that place.
>>
>>33743255
11x is the MOS you enlist with and then when you get to OSUT you're told if you're 11B (rifleman) or 11C (mortar). 11A is the Officer MOS code, 11Z is the infantry senior sergeant MOS code.

Back (way back in the day for 11F-Intel Infantryman) in the day there were also 11M (mechanized infantry, trained to drive 113s and Bradleys) and 11H (anti tank gunner). The Army used to be similar to the MUHHRREEENZ in that the Infantry MOS were split up into specialties, but not quite as autistic.
>>
>>33743295
I'd rather go back to Afghanistan than the 30th AG. fuck that place.
>>
>>33742939
I'm not saying that you didnt serve. I meant as me as a whole. I wanna do a contract that will keep my mind at ease knowing that I tried to do the most. I didn't mean to say that any other MOS's didnt matter. I know there's a lot of dudes out there with chilled MOS's and still see some fucked up shit. Respect for your service man, thank you.
>>33743008
I always thought veterans got bitter from seeing too much combat. But I guess not doing anything will get me bitter too. Thank you anon for the insight.
>>33743199
So stay for AT LEAST two terms? Don't get me wrong man, but all I really care for is doing my service to my country and maybe experience some bad ass wind on my face and blow stuff up. The way the army is going I'm kinda scared of sticking with the snowflakes that want to enlist. There's already rumors of safe spaces being incorporated into the army, and even the possibility of "Muh PTSD from BCT"

Solid advice, but truthfully, that's something I'll keep in mind once I finish my first 4 year contract. (That way I do 4 years, see if I like it and would like to do more, and take on another four)
>>
>>33743295
I never could figure out that disgusting smell in the hand washing area of the DFAC was. It was like they had setting water that those lazy niggers never tried to clean.
>>
>>33743052
>"I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep a positive state of mind."

Definitely will. Thank you anon for the input and your service. Hopefully I'll do the most out of my enlistment.
>>
>>33743336
everything at 30th smelled, the bays had this weird funky smell, like a mix of body funk and fear. In the mornings there was that weird smell in the air outside. wehn I went back years later for BNCOC I could smell it again in the morning air.
>>
>>33743377
I'm amazed that 30th stinks that bad but both Sand Hill and Harmony Church smell fine.
>>
>>33743324

No stay for one, or stay for life. Stay for 6 years or less, or do 20years or more.

Go ahead and reread >>33743199 I feel you may have misread it the first time.
>>
Enjoy spending your 4 years doing menial and degrading busy work in the company of some of the dumbest the army has to offer in your 11-anything mos. Everyone in non-retard mos's will be laughing at you picking up trash on the side of the road wearing a yellow pt belt diagonally across your chest on a friday after 1pm while they are driving home for an early weekend.
>>
File: EJK16.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
EJK16.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>33742555
Infantry is alright but if you're gonna enlist do a job that will teach you a skillset that transfers to the civilian market. Not sure why you'd enlist if you're going through college
>>
>>33743825
Ok
>>
Don't. Seriously. Unless you want to join to pay off college or whatever just stay the fuck away. You're going to assume it's like any military movie or whatever and it'll be the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. If it were up to me I'd slash over 50% of the military's budget and make the branches get their shit together and stop wasting tax payer money.

I'm not gonna get any more off topic but if you want the infantry experience just go be a fucking landscaper at your local golf course.
>>
File: 1450131134934.jpg (87KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
1450131134934.jpg
87KB, 564x564px
>>33742793
>You want adventure join 11B not 11X, with airborne option at a min.
What about 68W? I want to be a medic like my older brother whom is airborne qualified.
>>
>>33742555
For the love of FUCK, get your BA & then go officer. Infantry can be fun, but it sucks only 75% of the time time for officers (vs 95% for enlisted/NCOs).
>>
>>33744796
I wanna work with the FBI, counter-terrorism, or maybe just a detective. So could I do my 4 years of my first contract and then switch MOS to intelligence for my 2-4 year re-enlistment?

>>33744947
How come I shouldn't? I'm gonna finish and get my degree first, that's my plan for now. What's so bad about it?

>>33745154
That I am, idk about going for officer though. I don't have any leadership qualities.
>>
>>33745198
>I don't have any leadership qualities.
thinks officers need "leadership qualities"
>>
File: yeye.jpg (314KB, 1359x1081px) Image search: [Google]
yeye.jpg
314KB, 1359x1081px
>>33745222
I mean, am I really just trying to tug at an imaginary concept that officers should be quality leaders?
>>
I went 13F in the army and spent a lot of time with infantry. Basically its not worth your time if you're in college.

We put up with constant bullshit at home without rhyme or reason so when you get to Afghan or Iraq you're used to putting up with the constant bullshit that is deployment. You're surrounded by idiots and superiors who treat you like you're an idiot for little money. You really wont be challenged physically or mentally other than putting up with the nonsense.

That being said I would still do it again. TheGI bill pays for my college and there are times I wish I was in Iraq to avoid the responsibility of adulthood. Honestly you should just buckle down and finish school.
>>
Hey everyone, I'm in a similar boat as OP. Except I finished college and I'm actually looking at OCS. Spoke to Army already, Speaking to Navy tomorrow.
Navy wants me to go Pilot route.

One of my biggest concerns is actually about lifestyle. It's the one thing there isn't much info about, even less info about officers.

I'm a creative fucker. I'm weird, I'm goofy, I'm kind of spazzy and fun.

However I look and work like a military person, I take all the values of the military seriously but I'm terrified of the prospect of spending 4-8 years in the service and having to bottle up all my emotions and who I am.

So it begs to question, how the fuck do you guys release? How do you deal with the constant rules and order? I don't mind them while working, but my general conception about military life and culture is that they are 24/7 military.

Like If I'm stationed in Japan, hypothetically, do I have to be Mr. Robot Sir yes sir even "off duty"? Or Can I wander into the city and hit up crazy dance clubs and party with fucking crazy people?

It seems silly as a question, but I'm genuinely curious. It's going to be a huge determinant in if I go pilot route, if I go officer route, or if I go enlisted.
>>
2 years into a 4 year contract, unless you have literally no other path through life, which if your already in college you do, for the love of fuck don't do it. Ive regretted it every day since day 1. Finish college and do something useful with your life.
>>
>>33745491
Jeez, why bud? Also how old are you?
>>
>>33745198
So what exactly do you want to do in the FBI? Do you want to be an SA, do you want to work as an analyst?

Because honestly any job in the FBI you can do without military experience. You can just go apply after you graduate. CIA allows applications when you're no more than a year out from graduation but I don't know if FBI allows for the same.
>>
>>33745423
OP here, I actually do have a bit of knowledge from friends who are in the Air Force.
>Pilot
>Officer
>Fucking Air Force

Dude, take it. I highly recommend it. Great pay, everyone calls you sir, and it's a pretty chill life considering the other alternatives. Plus you get to handle the fun shit of flying fighters.
And not really, you don't have to be all stuffy and formal during your off-time. Half the time I get snapchats from friends who work in intelligence/network and all they do is party in the weekends, attend classes and do training occasionally. The military expects you to hold your bearings together and behave professionally when on-duty. Once you're off-duty do whatever you want. Just don't get arrested or do anything illegal.

>>33745491
What would you recommend?
>>
>>33745517
I'm 20 now, enlisted as a very naive 17 year old in high school and shipped after graduation. Truthfully I have no one to blame but myself, but preforming menial/arbitrary tasks 12+ hours a day some days getting treated like a child by egotistical man children for less than min wage isn't what came to mind.
>>
>>33745529
I mean honestly anything. I love and have a boner for the Hostage Rescue drills they do. FBI as a detective also because you more than likely get to pick up a gruesome gory case (I love gore). So I guess SA, detective or analyst.

I hear they're really picky though, so that's why I want to have some stuff that will put me above the others.
>Military training and experience
>Degree in Electrical engineering

Or am I reaching too far?

>>33745365
I already plan to finish college first no matter what. So Infantry is not worth it?
>>
>>33745619
Not in my opinion, at least not enlisted
>>
>>33745585
You must be somewhere terrible like GA
>>
>>33745094
68W can also get an option 4 or 40 as part of the contract
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.