[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: xd-9.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
xd-9.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
I recently purchased my first gun, for my CCW. See picture.

I do enjoy it quite a bit and have the urge for another pistol. I wanted some advice for my next handgun, within some parameters.

This gun is extremely hard to shoot, not just for me, even people at the range have troubles picking my current gun up and hitting anything. I am rather good with it, much better now that I put about 2400 rounds downrange with it, but it's still extremely hard to shoot with accuracy.

My wife purchased a Sig p238 HD (https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/2/3/238-hd-ca.jpg) at the same time I made my purchase for the same reasons.

I noticed the p238 is just so much easier to cluster shots with than mine, and takes way less focus, while mine is mentally exhausting to shoot 200 rounds.

I am looking for a mid level handgun that is built for accuracy/plinking, even a .22 for range sounds fun, but I kinda wanted to stick with 9mm.

What suggestions do you guys have?
>>
>>33741280

>accuracy/plinking
>9mm

Glock 17L
>>
>>33741280
XDs, to put it mildly - they are not considered top shelf equipment.

Get an HK or a Glock
>>
beretta 92fs, I also like the beretta px4 storm. cz75 is good too. The metal framed handguns will be easier to shoot for an extended period of time due to weight. A 4+inch barrel will help with ease of shooting as well.
>>
>>33741280
walther ppq, fns9.
>>
>>33741373
>fns9

why do you want him to buy a gun that has no lifespan anon
>>
>>33741302

I know for sure the club has this for renting, I will rent this out the next time I go. The accuracy instructor has one of these also, I should of taken a hint.

>>33741318
What was most peoples issues with the xd?

>>33741373
The walther looks like the same size as mine, I don't think I would enjoy that one

I've looked up all the recommendations so far, thank you guys.
>>
Top shelf means it goes bang every time and hits what it's pointed at
>>
>>33741396
https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-832.html

When a gun as widespread as the XD has 0 high profile instructors or competitors using it, that's quite the red flag.

But read the thread, if you need more details.
>>
>>33741439
>Glock 17L

It's REALLY hard to fucking shoot. It was purchased for a CCW only, I just really got into shooting and wanted something else for pure accuracy. Reading the thread.
>>
>>33741430

Here's a post right from the mouth of a gentlemen with more rounds down range than most of /k/ combined.

F

>ToddG
05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I've yet to see an XD make it through a class without problems.

I've yet to see a law enforcement agency adopt it after serious, strenuous testing.

I've yet to hear a single thing the XD does better than comparably priced -- and more reputable -- Glocks and M&Ps.

I've yet to have anyone mistake me for an XD fan. :cool:
>>
>>33741461
I get that but I know some people with them and never heard of a malfunction from them. I have 2 myself and never had any issues. ive put about 2k rounds thru each. With that said , I never use reloads
>>
After reading this..

I've shot with out a single issue other than accuracy. It's not like it's jamming or having other issues.
>>
Personally, I really dig my Sig p320. Shoots like a dream, and the trigger is fucking phenomenal. It's not the only good handgun out there, but it's definitely worth looking into.
>>
>>33741589

I really like the sights on my wife's sig p238. Seems to be way more fluid and easier to line up when aiming.
>>
>>33741582
>>33741585

If the quality of parts and lifespan of the pistol is not an issue to you, if you shoot like ~3,000 rounds a year, sure and XD is fine, if you don't mind crude design.

If you shoot a 1,500 rounds or more a month (which is literally the smallest volume I can think of that represents dedication to maintaining skill level) because you want to accelerate at pistol shooting, XD is basically junk and that's why it has no foothold in the enthusiast side of the pistol shooting community.

It hurts to hear because it's true. But as stated, if shooting your gun just ain't your thing, an XD is fine.
>>
>>33741644

I've had it for about 2 months, just finished 2400 rounds today.

Nothing hurts to hear. I don't even care to shoot this thing anymore and would love to just holster it for my CCW and get another just for accuracy training.

That's why I came here to ask ^_^
>>
>>33741699
What is "accuracy training"?

If you are serious about carrying, you should force through the material speed bumps and own your EDC.

But if you just want a rec on a range toy to bullseye with get a 2011 with a RDS/MRDS
>>
I guess accuracy training is me going to the range and trying to get nice groupings around what ever I point and decide to shoot at.

I have 0 issues hitting what I want to and my groupings are less than 1 1/2 inch when I first start. It's just hard to maintain the level of focus and steady hand with it.

Can you use any sights you want for league shooting? Or does it just vary place to place?
>>
>>33741302
>G17L
I would take a 34 instead
>>
File: KingOfTheMallNinjas.webm (2MB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
KingOfTheMallNinjas.webm
2MB, 600x450px
>>33741816
bru that's simply EDC tier
>>
>>33741439
>muh analdotal evidence
>>
>>33742427
>a guy who shot hundreds of thousands of rounds a year
>a guy who trained legions of individuals and observed results of their gear
>anecdotal

This is the baseline of quantifiable, sorry dude, I know you like your XD, and it will serve you well, but it's not high shelf or recommended, by anyone- and there's volumes or supporting evidence to confirm this.

Here's a quote for you.

"The U.S. Department of Homeland Security Immigration and Customs Enforcement certainly does... they tested the XD in '04 and it failed. In fact, I've yet to see a single instance in which the XD was subjected to a scientific selection protocol and got selected or even passed the threshold requirements.

I can certainly prove (scientifically :cool:) that the slide is locked unless proper force is applied to the grip safety, and many instructors consider that a liability when the need for one handed manipulations under stress or in the event of injury become necessary.

Do you really think it's just a marketing decision on Springfield's part that not a single major agency of any kind in the U.S. has adopted the XD? All of the other handgun companies fight tooth and nail for those customers and Springer just doesn't care?

You've got a single example with an unspecified number of rounds through it. I'm genuinely glad it works and works for you. But that is certainly far from the "scientific data" you're asking us to provide in response. Your gun works for you. That's good. You'll find that the folks here at PF will have zero problem with your choice in handgun as long as it runs for you, you shoot it well, and you practice with it."
>>
>>33741439
>>33741461
>>33741644
>>33742503
Samefag who always pops up in these threads putting out the same tired arguments, the same lack of actual evidence, and the same "oper8rs oper8ng operationally don't want it" BS

cooooool story bro.

Also, this part of the quote
"Do you really think it's just a marketing decision on Springfield's part that not a single major agency of any kind in the U.S. has adopted the XD?"
Bothers me since handgun selection has more to do with politics and bribery than anything else (See Glock's recent loss to Sig for the Army Contract for starters.)

And sorry.. but unless you're going to bring forth some actual testing with specified roundcounts and documented failures.. please STFU and get off my board. You're as bad as a fudd.

:yawn:

OP, XD's are good guns. They go bang. They work fine.

If you find yourself inaccurate with them, it might be a personal thing (I know I'm more accurate with some guns [CZ, HK] than others [Glawk]) due to ergonomics.
>>
>>33742685

If they claim that somebody never made it through a class with out an issue, I pointed out that I fired 2400 rounds through mine (exactly) with out a single jam or a bullet not firing, the bullets might have more to do with manufacture as I understand though.

I am extremely accurate with it and the accuracy trainer that I talk with picked it up and preceded to get 10 shots nearly in the same hole.

I don't know enough to argue about bad parts or quality parts, so I won't.. One thing I have noticed browsing gun forums is that people seem to have a brand they like and tend to talk down about other brands, which is not helpful for a person asking a question like myself.

I can only trust my ability to notice extreme points of view in contrast to my experience and other peoples words so it seems.

Ergonomics might have a lot to do with it in this case also. The damn gun just feels wonky in my hand after 150+ shots. Also the damn magazine really takes quite a bit of force to load, leaving my hand feeling a bit weak after the same amount of shots. Might invest in a speed loader to counter act this, which might be causing my dislike of the gun in the first place.

Thanks for clearing some of the things up.
>>
>>33741456
>>33742972
I just bought a new XD mod 2, with the 4" barrel yesterday. I like it, only but 100 rounds through it so far, but I really like the ergo's, they work for me.

What anon said is right about overcoming your difficulties with the gun you'll actually carry- It sounds like you might just need a different carry gun, if you don't want to practice with the one you have.

I agree, the last ~4 rounds are hard as fuck to et loaded up, looking at a speed loader myself.

As long as you're not training to warfight with a pistol, which is fucktarded anyway, I'm sure the XD, or shit, even a Shield or Lc9, would do fine for either one of us.
>>
>>33743597

I looked at your gun, I seriously cannot find a difference besides the grip texture from mine (the outside view). Look identical.

I had to leave my mag fully loaded for the entire length that I owned it, besides when shooting, to get it easier to load. I'm a pretty big guy and I had huge problems getting the last 2 in.

I watched a hickok45 video of him using my gun and he had the same issues with loading the mag. It's the extended mag that was hard to load, not the flush.

Also, I shoot way better with the flush even though I can only get 2 fingers on the grip. The extended one throws me off for some reason, thinking about not using it anymore.
>>
>>33743852
I have the service size, so my grip is full length, and I also have the fiber optic front post from the XDs, and the recoil spring and guide rod are different, but it's *mostly* the same.

The mags are stiff as shit, that's no joke at all. I'm 6'3" and I have big hands, the 16 rd mags are pretty hard to load.

I like the rest of the shooting experience though, I like the grip texture, despite the branding, it just feels good for me.

I did notice the extension magazines on the compact have *just* a hint of play in them, which can lead to pinched fingers, so I went with the full size.

I don't have my CCW permit yet, just escaped commiefornia, but it's on my list of stuff to get done. I'm a fan of light jackets for all weather anyway, so the size shouldn't be too bad, and open carry is legal where I now live regardess
>>
File: 20170422_163652.jpg (858KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170422_163652.jpg
858KB, 1920x1920px
>>33744048
Here, this is mine
>>
Why does everyone shit on the XD and call them shitty designs?

I've handled one at a gunshop before and the internals looked very well machined and the trigger was pretty decent?

The only real critique I can understand is that people don't like the grip safety, and the striker roll pin can fail with high round counts.
>>
>>33744086
Sorry, shitty cellphone pics
>>
>>33744106
Because when you're dealing with tiny performance margins, a crack seems like a canyon sometimes
>>
File: Cleaning.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cleaning.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>33744048

I am still in commiefornia... 10 rounds for me =/

When I first started shooting, I had the mag drop on me twice with the extended clip. That was just because my fingers accidental hit the button, but that was mostly due to poor grip in the first place.

The picture gets the job done :)

The picture was mine + the p238 after about 300 rounds/150
>>
>>33744542
Nice! I like the bi-tone coloring. Is the sig as nice as the name implies?

Yeah, California's pretty rough for guns, enjoy the burritos while you're there though.
>>
>>33744914

Posting from phone. If I did not have that one to shoot side by side, I would of assumed that I was just terrible at shooting. Today I plinked off 2 red stickers from my target paper. I've yet to accomplish even 1 with mine the entire time. Its an easy shoot, something about the sights. The size does not hinder me at all. My wife is a damn good shot too, perfect size gun for a 5" 106lbs, my gun hurts her arm, but she still shots it better than I've seen people shoot their own guns at the range.

Something I noticed was, people aren't that good or they just aren't shooting for small red dots, where ever they may be on your target. Most people just shoot at 10 yards and can't even get a 5 inch grouping. Even my buddy who is a guard at a jail pales in comparison to her.

I forgot to mention that it's a p238 HD, all steel.
>>
>>33745149
Damn, sorry you me not same, lol

Welp, I hope you get the issue nailed down. Maybe the sigs are a good palce to start looking for your alternative? Anyways I'm headed to bed, got work in the morning. Good talkin to ya
>>
They don't have good burritos outside of Cali? That's a shame lol, people don't know what they are missing.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.