[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-conventional Hunting Guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: white-tailed-deer_thumb.jpg (233KB, 1850x1850px) Image search: [Google]
white-tailed-deer_thumb.jpg
233KB, 1850x1850px
Thoughts on hunting with non-conventional guns or cartridges?

What animals have you killed with guns not designed to kill animals?

I'd like to drop a deer this fall with my AR, but I'm not sure that's the best idea.
>>
File: 1491928288474.jpg (424KB, 1320x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1491928288474.jpg
424KB, 1320x4000px
>>33738094
Obligatory
>>
>>33738351
ew
>>
>>33738094
>non-conventional guns or cartridges?

Not wanting to be an ass, but they are all used for hunting, by default. Hunting success is then another thing, that said, no one is preventing you to try.

There are these two things always present for all hunters
>you will see a mess of a shot animal. Up to you how much of a mess it is in the end.
>you will be seen making a mess of a shot animal. Up to you how you will explain your mess.

Nothing wrong with a semiauto 223 with good designated hunting rounds. A deer will drop on it's feet once you know where to put the bullet.

Happy huntings.
>>
>>33738094
Deer hunting is 99% shot placement. It doesn't matter what you use. I've harvest deer with everything from a broadhead, to a .223, to a .40, to a .303B

It's not like you take wild shots at a deer. The only shot you should be taking is a solid heart/lung shot. "Follow up shots" are essentially unheard of with respectful hunters.
>>
File: the magik of k.png (107KB, 1210x1016px) Image search: [Google]
the magik of k.png
107KB, 1210x1016px
A must read
>>
Look up your state regulations on the matter, I know in California any big game can be hunted with any caliber (I wouldn't go lower then .223/5.56)
If you've taken the hunters education they will inform you on everything(most states require to pass the class before being able to get your license)
Any well placed round (lungs preferably, heart is tasty) will kill the animal pretty fast if not instant.
Although my preferred round for deer is .243/.257.
>>
>>33738808
I know I'm good to use basically whatever I want where I am, but I hear so much about using the right ammo for hunting that I'm kind of paranoid.

>>33738626
>>33738680
I mean .223 kills people perfectly fine, why not a deer? I know some cartridges are better than others at breaking through brush and whatnot without veering off course, but if I've got a clear line of sight then I'd think any size and mass bullet will kill what I'm aiming at.
>>
>>33739021
Just don't go using FMJ. Use soft points, preferably 60+ grains.
>>
I bought some .30-06 from a guy whos grandpa used a non-sporterized M1903 Springfield and .30-06 Gallery loads to take small deer, yotes and boar
>>
>>33738598
Fuck you mean
>>
>>33741162
I ain't about deer pussy
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.