[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Crossing the USA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1488320584322.jpg (22KB, 402x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488320584322.jpg
22KB, 402x480px
This summer I am being tasked with delivering a car to Washington state from Florida for a relative. I live in Florida so after the drive, I will be flying back.
Now my concern is that i wanted to CC while crossing the states and Washington is the only state that doesnt honor my CC. That being said, how would be the best way to either A) get my firearm back home or B)destroy my firearm. I was considering going and getting an old .38 for cheap from the flea market or pawn shop and then when i get to Washington, buying a grinder and cutting it up or something. However, I have read that airlines can be a Total Hassle to deal with, but I would consider them if it meant I could bring a firearm that I prefer over some SNS. Have any anons flown with a gun? Can someone help me with advice?
>>
>>33736632
Just buy a hard sided pistol case that can lock and put it into your checked bag on the way home. That's what I do and I fly back and forth to Florida with guns all the time. It only costs like 15 bucks for a cheap hard sided pistol case.
>>
>>33736692
What airline do you typically fly with though? I hear theyre all different
>>
>>33736692
Here's a better idea: just take a train instead.
>>
>>33736632
just... don't carry it but transport it? concealed carrying means concealing a ifrearm on your person so that it can be readily used, if it's kept in a case and or disassembled you're not carrying it and surely the mere possession of your pistol isn't illegal in washington.
>>
>>33736632

you're going to drive across USA with a gun in your car ?

cripes do you ever read those horror stories ?

your next post will be from jail
>>
File: worst coast no-go zone.png (77KB, 715x702px) Image search: [Google]
worst coast no-go zone.png
77KB, 715x702px
>>33737546
Hell, no. AMTRAK is even worse about guns. They're not as bad as Greyhound, but they're worse than United, Delta/Spirit, or Southwest.
>>33736632
see >>33736692
You can literally just use a $15 plano pistol case. You should get a hard case large enough to fit all of you shit including your guns but small enough to check, but a simple pistol case will do.

Regardless, *do not use TSA locks*. It is illegal and stupid to use TSA locks on a firearm case. You and only you can have the key or combo. You cannot so much as hand the key to the TSA agent to look. If they want to look they have to get you to open it.
>>
>>33737919
>your next post will be from jail
Nope. FOPA is the law of the land. The only state that ever really hassles people about it is New York, and last I checked that wasn't on the way between Washington and Florida. Essentially, OP will be driving through gun-friendly red states from the minute he leaves the west coast all the rest of the way. Drive the speed limit while sober, be white, don't act like a dick, and he'll be fine.

The other posters have it right - keep your gun in a lockable hard-sided case while in the car. The one I've got was twenty bucks from Amazon. Keep the key in your shirt pocket. This is *not* the same as concealed carry, in which the gun is on your person while you're walking around.

When you want to fly home, put the gun in the case, unloaded, and put the case in a bag you're going to check. When you get to the check-in counter for your airline, declare the bag - i.e. tell the person who's taking your bag that you have an unloaded firearm in a locked case in that bag. They may put a tag or a ziptie on that bag that you can take off later, but otherwise you should have no problem at all. If you have any questions, call your airline in advance, or visit their website.

And that's it! Enjoy your trip.
>>
>>33738019

What do you mean by illegal and stupid to use TSA locks on a case? Do you mean it's illegal for TSA to search your shit or illegal to lock your case?
>>
>>33738224
it's illegal for the TSA to have the key
>>
>>33738224
>Do you mean it's illegal for TSA to search your shit
That is not what I meant, but it is true. The TSA absolutely cannot break into a case containing firearms. They have to call the owner over and the owner opens it.
>illegal to lock your case?
It is illegal to not lock your case so only you have access. Using TSA locks is not locking your case so only you have access.
>>33738184
Disagree, OP would be perfectly fine to simply keep it holstered. Even mag ban states aren't a problem with something like a P938 or old 38 snub.
>>
>>33738270
>Disagree, OP would be perfectly fine to simply keep it holstered. Even mag ban states aren't a problem with something like a P938 or old 38 snub.
If you're talking about walking around with it on his person in a state that doesn't have reciprocity with whatever state he has a CCW in, then *that's* a way to end up in jail.
>>
Basically, read FOPA carefully, keep gun and ammo locked in separate containers in your trunk; don't do anything stupid or illegal, don't consent to warrantless searches, and if possible, be white. (Right or wrong, that's how it is.)

There will be no problems if nobody knows about the gun, and if there is no reason for them to find out, which is entirely in your hands. Worst case scenario, you could still be arrested if you stop for any reason in a hostile state (some like to claim you are no longer "transporting" at that point), at which time FOPA becomes something your attorney brings up at your trial. No reason it should come to that, though.
>>
>>33736632
Just don't take a gun?
>>
>>33738305
Obviously he would have to do something before reaching Washington.
>>33736632
Actually, OP do you even have your FL CCW? If not then you're gonna need to use FOPA safe passage.
>>
>>33736632
funny how all the experts here don't know Washington honors the Utah out of stat permit. Just get the Utah out of state and your good to go. I think it just requires 4 hour class and mail in money and fingerprints.
>>
Having done exactly this. Look up your route, and the laws of every state you are driving through, if they offer out of state or some other CC permit get it. Look up the laws of handguns in cars depending on state. You can check a handgun for free on most airlines for the return home (did a va to ca and was able to carry/have in car/fly home to mn no problem.
>>
File: rsz_20170423_170232.jpg (1006KB, 3548x1995px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170423_170232.jpg
1006KB, 3548x1995px
>>33736632 I'm >>33736692 from earlier and now have time to post my cases, >>33738019 brings up some great points. Personally I have never been hassled while flying with my firearms. I've had a couple TSA agents and a airport policeman compliment my rifle and talk about Vietnam but otherwise nothing of note. Just get to the airport half an hour earlier than you usually would, go to the check in desk and declare your firearm without acting like a sperg. Generally they will tell you to wait 20 minutes near the desk in case the TSA or airport police want to ensure your firearm is clear, 1/3 of the time this ends up happening and it's just open the case, they look at it, close the case and lock it. The other 2/3s I've had the lady behind the desk just waive me on after 5 minutes and say I'm good to go. When you arrive to where your going your case or bag with case in it may not be on the carousel, in that case it will be in your respective airline's baggage claim office, or they may call you. In that case you go over to it, they ID you and your on your way. That happens nearly every time I fly into Tampa and it's pretty nice because I can get my bag back faster since I have a pistol in it.

>Tl;dr give yourself more time before flight and invest in a decent hard sided case and some good locks and you'll be alright
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.