[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coatings General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Let's talk about coatings here. Not just for entire frames and surfaces but for any and all parts.

I've had one bad experience with Cerakote, one MID to good and one very good experience with it.
Bad - LGS
Mid - KAC Factory Cerakote for SR15 Mod 0
Good - Daniel's Overgassed Defense

I have however recently acquired a M45A1 with a Decobond and am very impressed with the finish, smoothness and durability.

I'm thinking of putting together another AR and have it Decobonded in the same color along with some USGI magazines.

Melonite, parkerizing, anodizing, Krylon, etc, anything goes.

Does anyone here have any experiences getting their firearm/s ion bonded?
>>
File: slavaboo1.jpg (602KB, 1223x1309px) Image search: [Google]
slavaboo1.jpg
602KB, 1223x1309px
>>33731965
I had the Mak and the CZ moly coated by Mac's Shootin' Iron Restorations, now out of business. It's held up amazingly well, especially since the Makarov was my CCW for years.

There's an automotive place in my town that also does Cerakote for guns. They did the Tokarev, and it's been having cycling issues ever since. An RO at my range suggested Slip 2000 EWP over the Frog Lube I'd been using. I'll give that a shot and see if it offers any improvement.
>>
File: hrnggg.jpg (26KB, 378x363px) Image search: [Google]
hrnggg.jpg
26KB, 378x363px
>mfw I have a buddy that will do a PVD coating on any of my stuff for free
I think DLC (diamond like carbon; a tailorable mixture of diamond and graphite) is pretty damn good for low friction wear resistant applications.

Watch out for the temperatures that they operate the coatings at; some of them can go way over the tolerable limits of your steels and unless you're doing a very low temperature one, don't even think about doing it on aluminum.
>>
>>33733458
frog lube is literally just coconut oil with a mint scent additive
>>
>>33733661
Good cal friend almost forgot AR receivers aren't steel.

Really bummed about it. I really like the way Colt 901s in decobond(?) look.

And those fuckers keep fucking up not selling the stuff people really want.
>>
File: wm_8175637 (1).jpg (35KB, 640x318px) Image search: [Google]
wm_8175637 (1).jpg
35KB, 640x318px
>>33735009
>Colt 901
Well, now I want one. Except they are expensive as shit and Colt never makes enough of anything because they must hate money.
>>
>>33733661

How do I get into providing services like this in my locale? There's plenty of cerakote monkeys near by but I've never heard of decobond and I want to use that to my advantage.
>>
>>33733712
Currently going on 2 years of Froglube on a couple Glocks. One of my ARs put together last year has about 2000 rounds through it. Other than an occasional reapplication of Froglube to the BCG it has never been cleaned.

Mint scent coconut oil works for me
>>
>>33735858
Well yeah, just about any oil works. But coconut oil is cheaper to buy as itself instead of a gun product.

Mix boron nitride powder into your slip2000.
>>
>>33735050
Colt seriously must hate money.

They can fill in the "Buy what the operators are using" niche easily. They'd just have to take off select fire on some products that's it. Instead they keep churning out 6920s.
>>
>>33735106
the guy i know got a phd in materials science at a good school, worked at a DOD R&D center, got contracts with NASA, and (I'm assuming) took out loans for PVD equipment. The equipment is probably several hundred thousand dollars for a decent setup.
>>
>>33737739
>Mix boron nitride powder into your slip2000.

As an abrasive?
>>
>>33738001
it's non-abrasive
>>
>>33738151
Ain't that some shit.

Cubic boron nitride - hard as fuck tool coating
Hexagonal - lubricant
>>
>>33738260
chemistry is black magic

I'm about to try it myself next week with hBN and slip2000, but I wanted a guinea pig to test it
>>
>>33738302
I guess it's the same with carbon, graphite = lubricant, diamond = abrasive.
>>
>>33738325

These and nanoparticles are fucking wizardry. Thank God I'm not trying to be a chemical engineer.
>>
>>33738325
I thought graphite was abrasive too
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.