[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder that Captain Walker did nothing wrong

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_7175.png (250KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7175.png
250KB, 600x300px
And neither did anyone else in Dubai
>>
inb4 people who took the story as a personal attack when it's just heart of darkness in the middle east
>>
Not sure why this game gets hated on in this game gets hated on in /k/. It's not a game about freedom of choice, but being forced to make unwinnable decisions under horrific circumstances. By the end you're committing war crimes and they make sense.
>>
>>33727919
This story lifts so much from apocalypse now and heart of darkness. I mean radioman? Really? Not that I'm complaining. This is probably one of the best written shooters I've ever seen.
>>
>>33727928
I like the game. I just hate the discussion surrounding it. Everything's gotta be a "deconstruction of the shooter genre, man" and really it's just a great story with decent shooty bits.
>>
>>33728052
I definitely see the COD deconstruction. I like that. I thought everyone was griping that the game tells you what a monster you are. That's sort of the point, imo. War is a messy business and tasks people to make unwinnable choices. If there was an optimal happy ending it would be a cop out. The story makes you murder civilians and glad to be doing so. Walker's breakdown is one of the most well done things I've seen in a video game. Hell, even the way he shouts commands changes. He's initially very professional and by the end he's shouting obscenities and angrily telling his squad to kill.
>>
File: mel-gibson.jpg (98KB, 1156x725px) Image search: [Google]
mel-gibson.jpg
98KB, 1156x725px
>mfw not a real Captain Walker discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23SVHUPrUJ4
>>
See, good squad mates would have detained me and not let me murder every living soul in that God forsaken terrarium. When you start putting it all together and get "Jesus Christ what have I done" feeling, but you still have to finish the game.

It reminds me of watching The Road. I loved it, but I never want to do it again
>>
>>33727928

its shit because its basically mass effect 2 gameplay without abilities held up with a generic 'wor is hell' story.
>>
>>33728627
So it didn't have enough sparkle to hold your attention. Thanks for clarifying that
>>
>>33728701

yeah, the game was boring so it was bad. that's generally how things are scored.
>>
>neverending sniper spawns forces me to use white phosphorus or else game won't progress.

"Makes sense"
No.
>>
>>33728740

who(what)
>>
>>33728740
The point is a 3 man delta team isn't going to be able to take on the entire Damned 33rd head-on. Why are you butt mad? Do you expect to cheese your way through and get a happy ending? Do you not understand that goes entirely contrary to the plot?
>>
>>33728627
Generic? How many other video games have plots even remotely like this? If anything this game is the anti-mass effect. You never had a choice. Never one that mattered. You're fucked from the beginning.
>>
>>33728729
You should get that ADD checked out
>>
>>33727887
You mean aside from napalming a bunch of civilians, destroying what was left of the cities water supply and killing a platoons worth of u.s. soldiers?
>>
>>33729093
He had to use Willy Pete or else they would have no way to overcome the 33rd head-on. The civilians were collateral damage he was unaware of. The water supply was destroyed when the CIA fucked Walker over, but they (CIA) wanted to cover up what happened in Dubai to protect the USA and because these people were doomed anyway, and you forget it was the 33rd that opened fire on his squad (which in their defense, they thought they were with CIA, iirc).

Literally no one did anything wrong.
>>
I think the choice wasn't given to the player himself, but to Walker. You play the game, but Walker himself is forcing you through the "choices" on rails because it's his story, the story of his downfall, where everything canonically goes to shit.
>>
File: 114128309.jpg (39KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
114128309.jpg
39KB, 351x351px
>>33729093
NOTHING WRONG.
>>
>>33728571
Fucker operated so hard he became a creation myth
>>
>>33728894
>you're fucked from the beginning
That is hands down my favorite part of this game, and your fucked not because of some bullshit plot reason or fate or something, but because you( or more accurately, captain walker) made a shit decision, to go and play hero.
Hell, even lugo points out that that's not what they are there to do, but the good captain brushes it off with a bad ass one liner, which is what people expect in these sort of video games, and then, you kill us soldiers, the very people that you came to rescue, and everything goes to complete shit in under 3 days, everyone is dead, your team is dead, your probably dead, or at worse, still killing and probably will kill quite a few more of your country men before you are put down like the dog you are, because you were never the good guy, the 33rd was. The CIA was getting their ass's kicked by the 33rd until walker showed up and gave them the edge in the fight that killed everyone, everyone except walker, The one person who out of everyone, needed to be killed.
>>
>>33727919
>>33727928
It's not the game. The developers said some stupid shit in interviews. Apparently, the player is somehow culpable in the events that unfolded in Dubai. You, the player, personally murdered these pretend people. They just went on and on about it. Nevermind the fact that they're the ones who programmed it, so they shoulder most of the blame.
>>
One thing that bothers me are the violent execution moves on wounded enemies. It's not even like Far Cry 2, where they'll shoot you with their sidearm, run for help, etc. They just lay there and moan.
Then you press action, and you crouch down and break their neck with your bare hands.
It's a weird bit of ultraviolence in a game that's otherwise fairly realistic. It just feels fairly gratuitous.
>>
File: there's a reason then.gif (2MB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
there's a reason then.gif
2MB, 500x213px
>>33729700
Pretty much the way I felt about it. People are so used to 'muh story' and 'muh personal adventure' that they can't even appreciate a story anymore for what it is. Unless they can put ten points in autism, it's 'a railroad' and 'fucking gay man i'm going back to second life'
>>
You actually died in the helicopter crash at the start of the game.

The rest of the game was just Captain Walker reliving his last moments in hell as punishment.

The red sandstorm and the desert is a perfect match to Dante's 7th ring of hell - the punishment for those who have committed violent acts in their lives
>>
>>33729915
So by this jacob's ladder interpretation is Walker ever verifiably wrong? Is Konrad actually alive?
>>
>>33729853
It's part of walkers characterization. They're noticeably more brutal as the game goes on. Initially they're quite clean (i.e. Rifle but a guy down then shoot him in the head).
>>
>>33729893
Rpgs are a versatile "seasoning" that can be sprinkled onto damn near any game. Much like table salt, when it's used too much and too broadly gamers will lose a sense of nuance and subtlety
>>
>>33727940
>admits the story is a complete plagiarism of other work
>durr so well written
Just stop
>>
>>33729970
>They're noticeably more brutal as the game goes on
Are you sure? I remember headbutting someone to death during the fight in the first refugee camp (The one where you shoot out the window to flood the place with sand)
>>
>>33727928
I hate it because it uses the "HURR HALLICUNATION DURRR" twist in a retarded way.

Like those snipers that were watching you while you tripped balls over two bodies hung from a light post. They were real snipers and can really kill you, but they were apparently 100% in on your hallucination and won't shoot at you until you're done tripping.

The level of disconnect between Walker's perception and reality is so huge that it should have been obvious to his comrades within the first 20 minutes that he was off his rocker, and it's only a constant, unending stream of miraculous convenience that allows the plot to continue in light of how much is just in his head.

The game also wants you to feel guilty about shit, which is stupid.

>Press X to kick puppy
I don't want to kick a puppy
>Press X to kick puppy or you can't continue the game
I don't want to kick a puppy
>Press X to kick the puppy or this is literally where the game ends enjoy having paid $30 for jack shit fagboy.
Fine I'll press X
>OH MY GOD YOU KICKED TEH PUPPY U R SO HORRIBLE OH MY GOD LIKE YOU ARE LITERALLY 50 MILLION MEGAHITLERS HOW COULD YOU BE SO AWFUL!?!??!!?!!?!?!?!
>ISN'T THIS SO DEEP AND COMMENTARY?!?!?!?!?!?

The """"plot"""" exists only to link these puppy kick moments together in increasingly obvious ways

Walker: "Ok, our next step is to blow all the water in the city."
Bros: "Wait, what?"
Walker: "I mean uh... secure... the water. Yes. Secure in a way that definitely won't blow it up, and isn't at all a setup to chastise the player more, even though that's all this game exists to do."
Bros: "Oh ok! :333333"

I've heard there's some points later in the game where you can choose to do things that aren't retarded excuses to make you kill civilians and chastise you for it, but I never got that far because I stopped at the water part when it became clear where everything and anything in the game would go.

Plus, African Jeep Simulator 2 did it better.
>>
>>33730045
it is well written. Even the writers admit they borrow from heart of darkness and apocalypse now. That isn't plagiarism. What does cod borrow from? Shit?
>>
>>33727887
daily reminder that spec ops was an awful game and the story was pretty fucking terrible
>>
>>33730109
So you stopped playing because the game hurt your feelings and you took it personally. Got it. The subject matter isn't for everyone.
>>
>>33730202
What shooters have better stories?

The original deus ex maybe.
>>
>>33730109
There are no choices in the game. That's the entire point and how it falls completely flat. It's linear as fuck and nothing matters.

According to the devs, you could 'win' the game by simply putting down the controller.

I wonder if they're happy that so many people never bought the game and 'won'.
>>
That part near the end where you have to assault Conrad's Head Quarters was utter bullshit, tho.

That being said putting down American soldiers felt good man. went out of my way to execute every single one of them.
>>
>>33730207
I think the point of his post was that the game was dumb because it tried to hurt your feelings in stupid ways and for stupid reasons. And that's the point of the game.
>>
>>33730225
Deus ex is on a entirely different level of story and gameplay
>>
>>33730280
did a burger fuck your sister or something?
>>
>>33730207
>Game does nothing but try to make you take things personally in the most manipulative and over the top ways
>"It's not supposed to be personal brah"

No but seriously I have better things to do than play a 5 hour Sarah McClachlan commercial.

>>33730232
>According to the devs, you could 'win' the game by simply putting down the controller.

So they devs say I won.

The $30 I paid to not play a game says they did.
>>
>>33730338
Might as well enjoy the video game I bought for recreational purposes.
>>
>>33730447
you didn't answer my question fag
>>
>>33730501
No. what does that have to do with my enjoyment of a video game which people play for fun and escapism?
>>
>>33730558
because your fun and what you get out of that escapism says that you have brain problems or burger problems. I like to give the benefit of a doubt so I'm assuming it's burger problems, but your denial is leading me more and more to think it's brain problems.
>>
>>33730280
>>
File: poetry.png (1MB, 596x1576px) Image search: [Google]
poetry.png
1MB, 596x1576px
Is Ken Levine a master poet?
>>
>>33730657
>Do what you are supposed to do in video game.
>OMG anon you must be some kind of maniac XDDDDD
>>
>>33730701
No. Burial at Sea was garbage and raised more questions than it answered.
>>
>>33730777
>That being said putting down American soldiers felt good man. went out of my way to execute every single one of them.

what is so hard about owning up to this statement

like I would at least have expected an "america is a fucking evil empire and all burgers are war mongering lunatics"
>>
>>33730928
>like I would at least have expected an "america is a fucking evil empire and all burgers are war mongering lunatics"
>Having such a deep persecution complex that you literally cant understand people having fun without there being an undercurrent of anti-Americanism
Wow
>>
>>33730946
I can understand people having fun, and I can even understand people like you having fun and fantasizing about weird things. What I don't understand is why you're lying about it tbqh.
>>
>>33730394
I seriously have to wonder if you have insidious psychiatric issues that the events that occur to a fictional video game character are something you could remotely take personally. I enjoyed the ride and not once did it even dawn on me to take what I was seeing as an attack to me. Do you get this way with books?
>>
>>33731173
Except the game was, explicitly, an attack on people who enjoy violent video games. The developers stated this in an interview. They accuse the player of being personally complicit in what happens. It is your personal fault that all those people died, and if you disagree, then you're a psychopath. That is literally the point of the game. The creators said so. Do you feel like a hero yet?
>>
>>33731241
Hahaha and you're so buttblasted about it. It was awesome playing a game where I can drop Willy Pete and gun down arabs. At least the game is self aware.
>>
>>33727887
The problem with Spec Ops is that every single bit of commentary it tries to make was done in the Modern Warfare series with far more subtlety and emotional impact.

Let that sink in for a minute. Call of Duty manages to to deconstruct itself better than a game designed to deconstruct Call of Duty.
>>
File: IMG_7207.gif (458KB, 250x163px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7207.gif
458KB, 250x163px
>>33731508
>>
>>33731574
The plot of MW2 is literally about how the soldiers are disposable patsies to the machinations of politicians and generals. The game manages to pull off "Do you feel like a hero?" in its 4th level so completely that the level is skippable, and banned in some countries, and then it does it again in the 15th level. And unlike Spec Ops, MW2 allows you to make a moral choice in No Russian and the end result of the level being the same does not invalidate that choice.
>>
>>33731025
Dude you just fell for some stupid simple bait
Not sure if you are new here or not, but just ignore shit like that, and if you really have a problem with what he said, just remember, the US runs this mother fucker and some weirdo with a burger hate complex posting on a squicky secret squirrel sex tape board can't change that
>>
>>33731508
Unironically agree as far as MW1 is concerned. You dont escape the city before the nukes go off, you lose and everyone dies including the pilot you were trying to save. You dont defeat the big bad and all go home for a piss up, your buddies all get executed like bitches and you would have too if the Russians hadn't showed up to save you at the last minute. Gold standard genre deconstruction, no hallucinations or pseudo intellectual meta bullshit necessary.
>>
>>33731802
MW2 is the same. You're the patsy for a terrorist attack, you fail to retrieve the satellite module before the Russians reverse-engineer it, half the game turns out to be you covering up collusion between a US general and the Russians, said US general then kills you for finding out, then you have to collude with the Russians to find the general, and it turns out that the general started WW3 because he's functionally the same as the Ultranationalists, and your attack on the general serves as little more than to achieve a measure of personal satisfaction as you can't actually effect the war in any meaningful capacity. Also you're saved in the end by a Russian.
>>
>>33731771
I've been coming to this site for some 6 years, and if that was bait, it wasn't simple bait. It was either genuine or very elaborate bait with no easy payoff, and carried on so long for so little in the way of reaction that it's genuine artistry, well crafted and useless.

It wouldn't even be the first time someone was that weird and stupid enough to post something like that and try to defend it in such a way.
>>
>>33729617
Max is supposed to be the eternal archetypal lone wanderer though, which is why the movies are basically the same story repeated, and why Max is always the same.

Think about it, in "Fury Road" it's been so long since the Apocalypse that even the very old women in it barely remember tv, and yet somehow there's Mad "Once, I was a cop" Max.
>>
>>33732228
The current canon backstory was a slow decline due to resource depletion punctuated by warfare. The apocalypse is already occurring in Mad Max 1, large parts of society have already broken down and we're seeing the last bits of civilization start to crumble.
>>
>>33731754
No Russian was edgy bullshit. It doesn't compare to Spec Ops: PTSD simulator
>>
>>33732228
>>33732393
You know what really bothers me about the new canon?
According to the prequel comic, it wasn't the fuel crisis that caused the breakdown of Australia. It was Tony Abbot's anti-environmentalist policies. Everyone magically turned into hippies overnight and overthrew him. THEN peak oil happened, not before.
>>
>>33732430
Without resorting to memes, can you articulate why Contrived Reasons For Gunfights: The Game is less edgy bullshit than No Russian?
>>
>>33732430
Walker has very obvious delusional schizophrenia, not PTSD. And I don't think Spec Ops: The Hobson Choice, has any room to call other games edgy bullshit.
>>
>>33732521
It's supposed to be "too little, too late." New canon states that peak oil and the water crisis happened within a relatively close amount of time.
>>
>>33729700
Well you did leave a dozen or so 33rd guys alive at the very end

>>33730109
>I've heard there's some points later in the game where...

Reminds me of a confessions thread on /v/ years ago where they guy admitted he has never played any mgs games and got all of his information from Wikipedia so that he could still talk about the games without any first hand knowledge. It's like "what does /k/ think of X" in a nutshell
>>
>>33732228
That my favorite thing about who Max COULD be and how I like to look at it because I don't have to worry about >>33732393 or >>33732521
Especially since the post fuel crisis world is filled with fuckers hell bent of using up as much fuel as possible without using fire as a fucking moat around their settlements
>>
>>33727887

All he had to do was turn around at the start. Those were his orders and he went against them so he could be a hero.
>>
>>33731173
>Do you feel like a hero, yet?
>This is all your fault
>The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants, but this isnt real, so why should you care?
>>
File: stobbit.png (9KB, 404x399px) Image search: [Google]
stobbit.png
9KB, 404x399px
>>33731927
>>33731802
>>33731508
Wow, you're actually right. Thanks for shattering my view on the cod series story.

Also, The Line is still fucking garbage covered up with pretentious bullshit that people who have never opened a book try to use as being OMG SOO DEEP LOOK HOW CULTURED I AM
>>
Why the hell was this game banned in Dubai? I mean it's not like it tried to portray the UAE or Islam in a negative light.
>>
>>33727887
One Job Walker! One Job!
Verify survivors, leave either way, radio command.
>>33733904
Hidden items pretty much go over how the real rich fled and conned everyone else into thinking the sandstorms weren't that bad
>>33729915
>You actually died in the helicopter crash at the start of the game.
I somewhat get why everyone thinks that but at the same time
I always thought there is the potential that you died in Afghanistan instead
>>33730073
Not the other poster but if I remember right the but is a lot more clean in silent early on.
Later on you are bashing them in the head over and over, putting the barrel of your gun in the mouth and Walker is screaming stuff like "DIE! FUCKER!"
>>
>>33733904
Because much like the faggots in this thread they take things way too personally and get assblasted
>>
>>33730193
>borrows from
Directly copies from. The definition of plagiarism
And as other anons point out, the game is entirely linear, only using the thin veneer of player choice as a way to justify the horseshit "not engaging in media you paid for is media engagement!" concept
>>
>>33735833
Please cite what you believe was plagiarized.

And who cares if the game is linear? It didn't market itself as skyrim in Dubai. COD is a linear POS that plagiarizes itself annually.
>>
What the fuck is it with all you fags overthinking this shit?
It's a fucking video game, nothing more. What happens there and what you do happens only in the game.

It's not a bad game and I enjoyed it, the plot was also pretty interesting.
The whole bullshit about "making you feel responsible" and "the only way to win is not to play" is just a bit unconventional advertising, which apparently worked very well, judging by some of the anons itt who seem to be utterly convinced that the game is a life changing piece of high literature or whatever.
>>
>>33735986
This
It was a look through the eyes of a man and his squad buried eyeballs deep in madness and hopelessness in a sandy butcrack of a city
It was Gud
And I un-ironically enjoyed the multiplayer
>>
>>33732763
Nope (maybe?) those dude are in your head, there's a list of names on a wall, the names of those is the damned 33rd, all of them, except for five, are crossed out, this happens before you find those guys surrendering to you, but if you go back, those names will become crossed out and the guys who just surrendered are gone, but who knows, the good captain has gone way the fuck over the edge by this point so who knows

I love this fuckin game so much
>>
>>33730045
>plagerism

Nigger do you even literary history?
>>
>>33728894
>Generic? How many other video games have plots even remotely like this?

Metal Gear Solid 2 did it far better about a decade sooner, was way more on point with its message on how it also effected people in the civilian world, and tackled even more issues without forcing/tricking the player into a 2-lane roundabout to force the message to work. MGS2 was also masterfully designed game even taking story out of the equation, unlike Spec Ops which w/o the story is about as cookie cutter of an experience as you can get for a third-person shooter.
>>
File: b3c.jpg (2MB, 1080x1200px) Image search: [Google]
b3c.jpg
2MB, 1080x1200px
>>33737201
Forgot image.
>>
>>33737201
> story is shit!
> compare it to a nearly 20 year old classic game that is still wildly talked about

Really tickles my almonds
>>
>>33737412
*widely
>>
File: 1444846316361 (1).gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1444846316361 (1).gif
2MB, 448x252px
>>33731802
>>33731927
>tfw somebody out there actually made you think deeply about the cod storyline
>>
>>33737238
I've never played any of the metal gear games
But holy shit
How the fuck were they so on point
>>
>>33728619
You don't have to finish the game.
>>
>>33737412
He asked for a game that has the same themes and is better and mgs2 does that.
>>
>>33727887
I still can't figure out why the hell he's wearing Konrad's jacket like that.
>>
>>33727887
>This thread full of shitfits

I liked it and I liked its headfuckery 8/10 game.
>>
To kill for yourself is murder, to kill for your government is heroic, to kill for entertainment is harmless
>>
>>
>>33739530
Probably because his clothes are burnt, torn to shreds, bloodied, and sweated into for 3 days. I'd take a shower and wear that shirt too.
>>
>>33737238
Mgs2 was pretty based. Shame Kojima has a shit-tier understanding of genetics.

For me, Deus Ex is the one that creeps me out. It basically predicted the next 20 years. Hell, it even predicted 9/11.
>>
>>33740494
https://youtu.be/rxOKEsBx4NU?t=1404
>>
>>33739364
Metal Gear is the product of /a/, /k/, /x/, /pol/, and a touch of /b/ all working together to make a game.

There are stages of appreciating the series, and usually results in:

>First glance the game looks like a run of the mill spy/military story similar to Tom Clancy
>Wild shit ends up making it look like an animu/supernatural shitfest with wonky pseudo sience
>You'll probably beat the game after assuming everything being told to you was just dumb anime drivel

And if you end up replaying it and accepting the series has a certain level of intentional cheese:

>Completely deconstructs history, the video game medium, and even predicted the future in uncanny ways despite giving everything a strange animu flair to it

It isn't for everyone, but the people who end up liking MGS end up loving it, even with all the quarks that come with the later releases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4F1K4eHCH8
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.