[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desensitisation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: australian weapons fug.jpg (47KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
australian weapons fug.jpg
47KB, 533x800px
How do you train yourself into not caring about the other person enough to consciously harm them? I'm considering getting a few weapons for self defence but I feel like hesitating to attack them in the middle of combat could get me killed (out of not wanting to see gore or whatever), how do you work on this?
>>
File: IMG_0677.jpg (297KB, 900x1087px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0677.jpg
297KB, 900x1087px
>>33724093
I'd imagine that most people just think of the whole "it's me or him" cliche

Survival instinct is a hell of a drug
>>
>>33724093
Knit him a sweater, you cuck
>>
>>33724093
Step one of not hesitating: Don't.

If you're thinking about it you've already fucked up.
>>
How are you not desensitized from 10+ years of first person shooters

KEK ALERT
>>
That just means you're a well adjusted mentally sane human being who has never been in a truly violent situation. We all feel that in different forms. However, trust me, as soon as someone tries to kill you or someone you love, that feeling will be permanently and instantly purged from your soul forever. On my first deployment I oftentimes wondered if I would hesitate if I was in combat or be afriad, but as soon as I heard that first CRACK HISS BOOM over my head, all that bullshit went right out the window and my nervous system turned my body on autopilot. After that first engagement I never had the slightest hint of hesitation or remorse about defending myself, to the point that in hindsight I probably shot some people that didn't deserve to be shot.
>>
File: 1485914362080.jpg (56KB, 478x490px) Image search: [Google]
1485914362080.jpg
56KB, 478x490px
>>33724093
I'm not sure. I'd recommend dehumanization via labels. Thief, mugger, robber, burglar, assailant. Not human, not a person with their own life, memories, motivations, feelings. Just an obstacle in your way, preventing you from living how you want. Remove them like any other. Basically, stop thinking of them as human. All it is. That said, I have relatively low empathy, so this comes naturally to me. Maybe it's more difficult for others, but yeah. Just stop thinking of them as human. They're your enemy, nothing more, nothing less. It's all about your mentality. If you aren't prepared to fire on another living thing, you shouldn't carry a weapon until you are. There are classes for developing a defensive mindset if you need it. I personally think CCW classes should have a mental aspect to them. Best of luck to you.
>>
>>33724093
Its entirely in the moment and instinctual. If you are in a situation requiring self-defense and can't do it, that's pretty unique and there's something wrong with you, and you'll get fucked up for it. Need to hope/trust in yourself or somehow go through a lighter situation that till puts you into a sort of shock to see how you handle that.
>>
>>33724093
>he hasn't dehumanized himself yet
>>
File: maglite6cell.jpg (21KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
maglite6cell.jpg
21KB, 640x440px
>>33724243
Different person than the OP, but would /pol/ style racism work? Like if a gang of abos tried to mug you and you just see them as subhuman niggers while wielding pic related (I'm in Australia so no freedom laws)
>>
>>33724334
Subhuman categorization is an easy way to achieve this, yes. Militaries have been using this technique ever since propaganda became so widespread. Look at Nazi propaganda against Jews, or American propaganda against the Japanese. Seeing those who look different from you as less of a person than you, while positively corrosive to civil society, is an excellent technique for removing mental blocks about violence.
>>
>>33724093

Muscle memory, anon. They work on muscle memory. Practicing the same drills over and over and over again. Draw, aim, shoot. You do it until it gets to the point you don't even register what's going to happen when you do. You just know "this is happening, this is what I do" and you don't even really consciously realize what the consequences will be until it's over.
>>
>>33724093

Watch live leak self defense videos to see people die, sometimes it's the offender occasionally it's the victim who hesitated or didn't mag dump into the threat.

Humans have killed other humans throughout history, you're the descendent of the killer not the victim, you have it in you and there's no more just cause than someone who's immediately threatening you or another innocent person's life. If the offender cared about others well being, he wouldn't have put himself in that situation. You're removing a problem from society and a threat to your life, someone has to do it, whether it's you or the police after you're dead.
>>
>>33724093
Even been in a fight? Was it a problem then? If not then it probably won't be a problem next time. You don't have time to think all philosophically about the situation.
>>
>>33724093
>How do you train yourself into not caring about the other person enough to consciously harm them?
It happens pretty much automatically when they break my door down at 3AM.
>>
Not to sound like an edge lord, but I've gotten to the point where i just don't like people anymore, working as a bartender hasn't made that better.
But aside from muscle memory drills the big thing for me is the Him or Me mentality. If you only think about how the situation involves you and the other person and take society, friends, family, out of the equation and think It's him/her/xir or Me and still can't bring yourself to the thought of extinguishing another human life, there isn't much you can do outside of taking the whole "hated" approach and hating everyone to the point you're like two bad days from becoming the next news story.
>>
File: falling_down.jpg (86KB, 533x755px) Image search: [Google]
falling_down.jpg
86KB, 533x755px
>>33726338
>nd hating everyone to the point you're like two bad days from becoming the next news story.
>pic related
the thing is, you gotta start desensitization before a scenario.
so, if there's any group of people you think you're gonna have threats originate from, take a seed of hate, whatever it might be - shitty driving, drug dealing, whatever, and blow it up.
I mean go full fucking /pol/. take it to notch 11 and set a trigger for that mode.
basically
normal
>i hate mexicans because they break shit
defense
>fucking mexicans will break everything and destroy buildings if we let them
trigger
>broken shit that shouldn't be broken

build these in and you'll be able to dehumanize.
that or realize that they're gonna fucking kill you if you don't do anything and who is more of a waste, the motherfucker who kicks your door in at 3am, or you, the law-abiding(ish, this is /k/) citizen who just wants to shitpost and jack off all day?
>>
>>33726353
My free state makes the 3am door kicker a bigger waste of space than my need to jack off at 6 am to other armories on /k/

Fantastic Movie btw.
>>
>>33724093
OP see
>>33724167
and
>>33724518

If you are in a situation where you need to draw and shoot your CCW you will not have time to think. It happens fast, you will need the muscle memory to get through it. You won't need to worry about dehumanizing since you were acting out of self preservation, them or you, and you wanted to live more.
>>
>>33724093
Well to be honest, in a self defense situation where I know it's not a trained soldier who won't hesitate to kill me, I would probably( almost certainly) hesitate to some degree when pulling the trigger.
Most times just presenting a show of force deters a common street punk. If I were to feel true dread and panic where I thought the cliche "him or me" moment I would fire.

As for the concept of desensitization, you can never be truely desensitized unless you are a sociopath (read as individual with empathetical deficiencies). The closest thing you can do is learn to cope with the choices made and maybe desensitize your self to gore. It's the thought of taking a life that haunts people more often than the blood and flesh that is destroyed.

Having been on the Internet and playing FPS and watching movies that show excessive gore for years, I'm not phased in the slightest watching limbs cutoff with saws or seeing the cuthulu face happen. As while if I had to cause said harm I would be mortified by the fact I took a life, not the fact that the individual looked like paste when done.

TL;DR Desensitize to gore: yes; to taking a life: no.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.